UtahRails.net

(This page printed from UtahRails.net, Copyright 2000-2016 Don Strack)

Bingam Horse Tramway

Compiled by Don Strack

This page was last updated on July 23, 2011.

(This is a work in progress; research continues.)

(Return to Mining page)

(Return to Bingham Canyon page)

Overview

In 1874, a narrow-gauge horse tramway was constructed between the railroad depot at Bingham, and the Jordan mine in Galena Gulch, a distance of 3.5 miles. The grade in Bingham Canyon was too steep to construct a rail line that could use steam locomotives. A horse tramway made use of gravity to move loaded ore cars down from the mine, with men riding the cars and applying brakes to slow the descent. Horses were then used to pull the empty cars back to the mine to be reloaded.

Over the years, other "spurs" of the horse tramway were built to serve other mines in upper Bingham Canyon, in Bear Gulch, and in Copper Center Gulch.

While the chain of actual ownership of the right of way has not yet been documented, it appears that the railroad (Bingham Canyon & Camp Floyd, then D&RGW, then RGW) continued to lease the tramway to a series of operators.

Timeline

December 1, 1873
Bingham Canyon & Camp Floyd was completed to Bingham. (Poor's Railroad Manual, 1876-77)

April 26, 1874
"Bingham Canyon Railroad" advertised for "two hundred more men, for the purpose of immediately commencing the building of tramways from the Jordan and other mines, in order to transport ore to the main depot, at a speedier and less expensive way than teaming." (Salt Lake Tribune, April 26, 1874)

June 27, 1874
"Tracklaying has commenced on the tramway, running from the terminus of the Bingham Canyon road to the mines. The grading is nearly completed, and the road will be in running order by the end of next month." (Utah Mining Gazette, June 27, 1874)

July 10, 1874
Item on the tramway above Bingham on the BC&CF seems to indicate that it is of a gauge narrower than three feet. According to this item, the tramway goes up to the mines on Jordan Hill. (Salt Lake Herald, July 10, 1874)

November 15, 1874
"Last but not least, the Bingham Tramway Company are pushing the track, laying along at a reasonable rate, and expect to have cars on and delivering ore by the 15th of December, when we hope to hear the last curse of the yahoo at his team." (Salt Lake Tribune, November 15, 1874)

November 22, 1874
"The Horse Tramway is being pushed ahead vigorously. The track is laid about half a mile above town, and the work has been going bravely on until one o'clock this afternoon." Construction crews were stopped when they approached the mouth of "Murphy's Tunnel" in Galena Gulch, just across Galena Gulch from the Jordan mine. The owner refused to allow construction to proceed in front of his tunnel site, and used shots from a Henry rifle to threaten the company president, a Mr. Morgan. Many shots were fired but no one was injured. (Salt Lake Tribune, November 22, 1874)

Summer 1875
Service began during the summer of 1875 on a two-mile, 5.6 percent grade, mule tramway in Bingham Canyon to the Jordan mine of the Utah Mining Company. Construction began in June 1874, with delays because of disputes in the right of way over located mining claims. (Reeder, p. 160; citing Salt Lake Herald, June 16, 1874; June 26, 1874; November 25, 1874)

May 20, 1876
"Now that the tramway is completed to Bear Gulch, the monster mines of that vicinity can disgorge their wealth as fast as they please, the tramway can now keep the ore bins empty." (Salt Lake Tribune, May 20, 1876)

January 1, 1877
"The Bingham Canyon Railroad Company have a tramway from the Bingham Transfer to the ore house belonging to the Telegraph Company, with a branch leading up main Bingham to the Spanish, Jordan, Orphan Boy and others. By this means all ore is sent to Jordan Valley without the aid of steam or horse power, except to haul the empty cars up." (Salt Lake Tribune, January 1, 1877)

June 20, 1891
"Ore [from the South Galena mine] is sent to the railroad by means of a tramway over three miles long. The average cost of sending ore down is about 80 cents per ton. The cars are run down by gravity and hauled up by horses, of which thirty are being used. The capacity of the tramway is to be doubled by the addition of more cars and horses." (Salt Lake Tribune, June 20, 1891)

August 8, 1892
"The Old Jordan & Galena Company is now running ten cars on the tramway but will put on six or eight more in a few days. The cars have a capacity of three tons each, and make two trips a day." "The Old Jordan & Galena Company took charge of and began operating the Niagara mill on the first of the month. A force of thirty men is employed at the mill and between 125 and 150 tons of ore per day is being treated." (Salt Lake Tribune, August 8, 1892)

October 15, 1892
"H. N. Standish has leased the Old Jordan and Galena tramway, taking charge of the road and stock Wednesday of this week (October 12, 1892). The horses will be stabled at the Rio Grande Western depot and the men will also board at this end of the road. Mr. Standish, we understand, will extend a track from a point on the main line, near Cushing's store, up to the Old Telegraph mine, using the old tramway grade, and will begin the construction of said track in a few days, he having taken the contract for hauling the Telegraph ore to the railroad station. (Salt Lake Tribune, October 15, 1892)

December 20, 1892
"The usual long trains of tram cars continue to make their two trips per day over the O. J. & G tramway, hauling down the products of the Old Jordan & Galena and Niagara mines to the Rio Grande Western Railway for shipment. The tram operators experienced some little trouble in going up over the line Wednesday morning on account of the heavy fall of snow Tuesday covering the track. But the road is again clear and everything is running smoothly." (Salt Lake Tribune, December 20, 1892)

January 1, 1893
"Standish & Jimpson lately took a lease on the tramway, and are operating it with twenty men and a dozen animals, while they have a large number of teams besides, forty-five horses in all, and the entire camp employs ninety horses in hauling for the mines." (Salt Lake Tribune, January 1, 1893)

February 9, 1896
The following was hauled by Standish & Jimpson and shipped from Bingham Station: Old Jordan and Galena, 1085 tons; Old Telegraph, 985 tons; Niagara, Spanish and Utah, 350 tons; Northern Chief, 150 tons. (Salt Lake Tribune, February 9, 1896)

January 1, 1897
"The tonnage of the district for 1896 fell short of that of 1895 about twenty-one thousand tons in ore and concentrates shipped out." "Standish & Jimpson employ sixty horses and twenty-five to thirty men to operate the trams to the Old Telegraph and Jordan-Galena properties and to do hauling to and from other mines." (Salt Lake Tribune, January 1, 1897)

November 11, 1900
Standish & Jimpson have formally turned over their lease of the R. G. W. tramway to Bingham. The price is said to have been $15,000. The length of the road, from depot to upper terminus to be established for the present, one and one-third miles. The road is to be constructed for the present (ultimately to be extended) to a point near the Rogers mill, where a gravity tramway in Bailey Gulch will dump ore into its cars directly from Bingham C. & G. north tunnel. Meanwhile during the next fortnight the tramway, connecting with north tunnel by way of a spur built last fall, will be worked to its utmost capacity, delivering at depot ore to be hauled thence by Rio Grande Western cars to the new smelter - it being the intention to put 7,000 to 10,000 tons into the bins for a starter, so that the road construction will not prevent the smelter firing up as soon as ready." (Salt Lake Herald, November 11, 1900)

November 13, 1900
J. G. Jacobs leased from Rio Grande Western Railway, for a period of ten years, "all that line of narrow gauge road known as the Bingham tramway, commencing at or near, Bingham station in Salt Lake County, Utah, and extending up the canyon three and one half miles, more of less,...". (Lease, RGW to J. G. Jacobs, dated November 13, 1900) (link to text of the lease) (map)

November 15, 1900
"The extension of the Bingham branch of the Rio Grande Western railroad from lower Bingham as far as the Old Jordan & Galena mine in Highland gulch has been decided upon, it being the intention to use the Old Jordan & Galena tramway after widening the track, the motive power to be a Shea engine. J. G. Jacobs, who projected and built the Salt Lake & Mercur road, will have charge of the little branch or spur. The construction of this line will materially advance the mining and business interests of the marvelously rich camp of Bingham." (Salt Lake Mining Review, November 15, 1900, page 21)

(Continue the story of the Bingham horse tramway, as the Copper Belt Railroad)

Lease

Copper Belt Lease -- Text of the lease between RGW and J. G. Jacobs for the horse tramway in Bingham Canyon

Map of the original Copper Belt RR -- A scan of the original map that accompanied the lease between RGW and J. G. Jacobs

###