UtahRails.net

(This page printed from UtahRails.net, Copyright 2000-2017 Don Strack)

Railroad Bridges In Carr Fork

Index For This Page

This page was last updated on November 8, 2017.

(Return to Bingham Canyon page)

(This is a work in progress; research continues.)

Overview

The Carr Fork branch of Bingham Canyon runs in a general northeast-southwest direction, meeting the main Bingham Canyon at a point about 5-1/2 miles from Copperton at the mouth of Bingham Canyon. The well-known Highland Boy mine was at the top of Carr Fork, close to its highest and most southwestern end.

The first railroad bridge in Carr Fork was completed in 1911 at its east end where the canyon met the main Bingham Canyon. This first bridge was part of the Bingham & Garfield Railway, and was used to move ore trains from the main Bingham yard of Utah Copper, across and over Carr Fork to a new gathering yard for B&G trains before they were moved to the mills at Magna, 16 miles north.

(Read more about Bingham & Garfield Railway)

More bridges were built across Carr Fork as Utah Copper continued the expansion of the Bingham open pit mine. The company needed a place to dump its waste rock, and the mountain slopes to the north were seen as an ideal site. But the expanse of Carr Fork prevented the construction of well-built and permanent railroad lines to access these new dumping grounds. By the mid 1940s, there a total of seven permanent railroad bridges crossing Carr Fork.

(Read more about the mines of Carr Fork)

As Utah Copper continued to mine the copper ore from the original "Hill", the ridge that separated the open pit from Carr Fork began to shrink.

(View a photo of Carr Fork, looking west, with six of the seven bridges visible)

Railroad Bridges

There were seven railroad bridges that crossed Carr Fork. Six of the seven were built by Utah Copper to access new dumping grounds for waste rock from their open pit mine.

The seventh bridge, the lowest bridge, was built in 1911 by the Bingham & Garfield Railway to connect its main yard with the main yard of the Utah Copper company.

By December 1958, two of the bridges had been removed, including the Carr Fork bridge, and the 'D' Line bridge. "Major repair work on five steel bridges in Carr Fork Canyon above Bingham Canyon was completed early in December." (Bingham Bulletin, December 19, 1958)

From lowest to highest, these seven bridges were:

Carr Fork

'D' Line

'G' Line

'H' Line

'I' Line

'J' Line

'L' Line

###