Mines In Carr Fork
Index For This Page
This page was last updated on December 30, 2016.
(This is a work in progress; research continues.)
The Carr Fork branch of Bingham Canyon runs in a general northeast-southwest direction, meeting the main Bingham Canyon at a point about 5-1/2 miles from Copperton at the mouth of Bingham Canyon. The well-known Highland Boy mine was at the top of Carr Fork, close to its highest and most southwestern end.
The name of Carr Fork for the name of the major branch of Bingham Canyon was used as early as November 1864:
November 26, 1864
"Notice is hereby given to all persons owning interests in Bingham Canon, that a meeting will be held at Messrs Miller, Heaton & Co.'s mills, at the junction of Carr Fork, On Friday, Dec. 16th 1864, for the purpose of revising the By-Laws of West Mountain Mining District, and electing a resident of Canon for Recorder." "/signed/ M. S. Stickney, Deputy Recorder" (Union Vedette, November 26, 1864)
The point where Carr Fork met Main Canyon was also a main intersection of the streets in the town of Bingham, with the unusual shaped Bingham Mercantile store being the most recognizable landmark in that part of town.
The junction of Carr Fork with Main Canyon is also readily recognizable because of the large curved railroad bridge that dominated the space above the intersection. This landmark railroad bridge was completed in 1911, and remained in place until mid 1957.
The Carr Fork mines themselves operated from 1896 (Highland Boy) until the Anaconda Carr Fork project was shut down in 1981. The mining claims and mining infrastructure (tunnels, shafts, underground facilities, and surface rights) were sold to Kennecott in 1985. The Carr Fork mines are now generally known as the "North Ore Shoot Extension."
Carr Fork Mines
Bingham New Haven
The Bingham-New Haven, organized on October 12, 1902, working the Zelnora claim in upper Carr Fork, was reported as having an aerial tramway connecting its mine at the top of Carr Fork, with loading bins on the Copper Belt railroad. In 1912, an agreement was made with Utah Consolidated to allow underground access to Utah Con tunnels, which in turn allowed access to the Utah Con aerial tramway to the International smelter near Tooele. The underground connection was completed in December 1912, and a new smelting contract was signed with the International company in 1913. The action reduced transportation costs by 20 cents per ton. (The Copper Handbook, Volume 11, 1914, page 119)
The Bingham-New Haven Copper & Gold Mining Company property was located at the top of Carr Fork, above the Highland Boy (29 patented claims, 137 acres) Ore was shipped by way of the Utah Consolidated aerial tramway to the International smelter near Tooele. Sold on December 1, 1915 to the adjacent Utah Metal and Tunnel Co. to settle potential encroachment claims. (Salt Lake Mining Review, January 1, 1916, page 61-62)
November 6, 1904
Work was commencing on the new ore bins of the Bingham-New Haven mine were near the Yampa tunnel. (Salt Lake Tribune, November 6, 1904)
BINGHAM NEW HAVEN COPPER AND GOLD MINING CO. -- Incorporated October 21, 1902, in Utah. Property comprises twenty-six claims, about 130 acres in the Bingham district, Utah. Mine is opened by tunnels and a 900-ft. shaft; total workings, about three miles. Has an aerial tram connecting with the Copper Belt RR. Equipment also includes electric power and air-compressor, and a 100-ton concentrating mill, the capacity of which is being increased. Controlled by the Utah Metal and Tunnel Co., which company, on June 29, 1916, owned $1,110,695 of the capital stock. (Poor's Manual of Industrials, 1916, page 2306)
Utah Consolidated Mining Company (1896-1923) (original Highland Boy mine; to Utah-Apex in 1923)
Utah-Apex Mining Company (1902-1937) (to National Tunnel and Mines Company in 1937)
Utah Metal and Tunnel Company
Utah Metal and Tunnel Company (1909-1944) -- organized in 1909 as Utah Metal Mining Company; completed the tunnel between Carr Fork and Middle Canyon in 1913.
Yampa mine of the Tintic Mining and Development Company -- (1901-1918) sold to Utah Consolidated in 1912 (Yampa smelter built in 1903, closed in 1910)
National Tunnel and Mines Company
National Tunnel and Mines Co. (1937-1948) -- Information about the company that was the consolidation (in 1937) of all the above mines (1944 for the Utah Metal and Tunnel Co.), including its Elton Tunnel completed in 1941. (to Anaconda in 1948)
Anaconda In Utah
Anaconda In Utah -- Information about Anaconda and how in later years, after 1948, it operated the mines shown above, until operations were shut down in 1981.
Also notable in Carr Fork were the five curved railroad bridges farther up the canyon. These were built by Utah Copper to access new dumping grounds for waste rock from their open pit mine. From lowest to highest, these bridges were:
- Carr Fork (curved, B&G; crosses over where Carr Fork meets Bingham Canyon)
- 'D' Line (straight)
- 'G' Line (curved) (wooden bridge)
- 'H' Line (curved) (Utah Apex ore bin is below bridge)
- 'I' Line (curved)
- 'J' Line (curved)
- 'L' Line (curved)