UtahRails.net

(This page printed from UtahRails.net, Copyright 2000-2016 Don Strack)

Kennecott Utah Copper

Roster of Electric and Diesel-Electric Locomotives

This page was last updated on July 31, 2016.

(Return to Kennecott Utah Locomotives Index Page)

(Roster does not include all-electric in-plant locomotives of 25 tons or less.)

(Read more about the steam locomotives used by Utah Copper Company)

GE 80-ton diesel-electric -- 1 locomotive (Utah smelter)

Road
Number
Builder
Date
Builder
Number
Date
Retired
Notes
KCC 1 Jul 1949 30006 (May 1983) 1

General Notes:

a. KCC number 1 was built as American Smelting & Refining Co. (ASARCO) Garfield Smelter 1; ASARCO sold its Garfield smelter to Kennecott Copper Corp. in 1959.
b. KCC number 1 was one of 245 locomotives of this weight and type, built between November 1947 and June 1958.
c.

Additional information:

  • 36 feet, 10 inches length
  • 13 feet, 6 inches width
  • Manufacturer's specification was RY24257
  • Equipped with two (2) Cummins NHBIS 275-horsepower diesel engines; total horsepower rating of 550 horsepower
  • Each diesel engine was connected to a GE GT569 generator
  • Power was fed to four (4) GE 747 traction motors, each mounted to 33-inch wheel sets.

Notes:

1. KCC number 1 was sold to Wyoming Rail Car Co., Evanston, Wyoming in May 1983; sold to Lithcote Co. (same location); sold to Union Tank Car Co. (same location).
   

Alco RS-3 diesel-electric -- 2 locomotives (Utah smelter)

Road
Number
Builder
Date
Builder
Number
Date
Retired
Notes
KCC 2 Nov 1950 78371 (Nov 1985) 1
KCC 3 Nov 1950 78372 (Nov 1985) 2

General Notes:

a. KCC 2 and 3 were built as American Smelting & Refining Company (ASARCO) Garfield Smelter 2 and 3; ASARCO sold its Garfield smelter to Kennecott Copper Corporation in 1959.
b. KCC 2 and 3 were originally painted solid yellow; KCC 3 was painted red, white, and blue in 1976 to commemorate America's bicentennial, repainted to standard Ore Haulage colors of green with yellow trim.
c. KCC 2 and 3, along with 125-ton mine electric 778 and Ore Haulage RS-2 908, were donated to Feather River Rail Society, Portola, California in November 1985.

Notes:

1. KCC 2 was donated to Feather River Rail Society, Portola, California in November 1985; unserviceable; still there as of January 2011
2. KCC 3 was donated to Feather River Rail Society, Portola, California in November 1985; unserviceable; usable parts removed, including the cab for future display, and remainder was scrapped.
   

EMD GP39-2 diesel-electric -- 2 locomotives (Utah smelter)

Road
Number
Builder
Date
Builder
Number
Blue Card
Date
Date
Received
Date
In Service
Date
Retired
Later
Number
Notes
KCC SM-1 Nov 1981 816023-1 29 Nov 1981 9 Feb 1982 31 Mar 1982 1999 LLPX 2901 1
KCC SM-2 Nov 1981 816023-2 18 Nov 1981 9 Feb 1982 13 Mar 1982 1999 LLPX 2902 2

General Notes:

a. Number shown in number boards was Smelter 1 and Smelter 2; Kennecott records show numbers as SM-1 and SM-2.
b. Painted red and white, similar to Ore Haulage green and yellow paint scheme.
c. Not equipped with dynamic braking.
d. Not equipped for multiple unit operation.
e. Equipped with a 1200 gallon fuel tank.
f. Both units were seen at UP's Salt Lake City diesel shop on December 12, 1981, at which time the builder plate data was verified.

Notes:

1.

KCC Smelter 1 (SM-1) was returned to owner/lessor GMAC in July 1999; sold to EMD/GATX owned Locomotive Leasing Partners (LLPX) in July 1999, to LLPX 2901; to Panhandle Northern Railroad (PNR) 2300, before February 2006. (reported as having been renumbered to KCC 101 in 1994, but is not supported by photos)

(Photo as LLPX 2901 in 2003, at RRPictures.net)

(Photo as PNR 2300 in 2006, at RRPictures.net)

2.

KCC Smelter 2 (SM-2) was returned to owner/lessor GMAC in July 1999; sold to EMD/GATX owned Locomotive Leasing Partners (LLPX) in July 1999, to LLPX 2902; to Panhandle Northern Railroad (PNR) 2301, before February 2006. (reported as having been renumbered to KCC 102 in 1994, but is not supported by photos)

(Photo as PNR 2301 in 2007, at RRPictures.net)

   

EMD SD40-2 -- 7 locomotives (Ore Haulage)
C-C; 3000 horsepower

Road
Number
Builder
Date
Builder
Number
Air
Date
Date
Received
Date In
Service
Date Removed
From Service
1986 BCOL
Number
1997 HLCX
Number
KCC 101 Nov 1978 776129-01 13 Nov 1978 29 Nov 1978 4 Dec 1978 1 Jul 1984 BCOL 736 HLCX 6204 (1st)
KCC 102 Nov 1978 776129-02 20 Nov 1978 12 Dec 1978 13 Dec 1978 1 Jul 1984 BCOL 737 HLCX 6205
KCC 103 Nov 1978 776129-03 14 Nov 1978 29 Nov 1978 4 Dec 1978 1 Jul 1984 BCOL 738 HLCX 6206
KCC 104 Nov 1978 776129-04 16 Nov 1978 12 Dec 1978 13 Dec 1978 1 Jul 1984 BCOL 739 HLCX 6207
KCC 105 Nov 1978 776129-05 29 Nov 1978 15 Dec 1978   1 Jul 1984 BCOL 740 HLCX 6208
KCC 106 Nov 1978 776129-06 30 Nov 1978 15 Dec 1978   1 Jul 1984 BCOL 741 HLCX 6209
KCC 107 Nov 1978 776129-07 30 Nov 1978 15 Dec 1978   1 Jul 1984 BCOL 742 HLCX 6210

On the Kennecott Copper railroad, the loads traveled downhill from the mine at Bingham Canyon, to the mills at the south shore of Great Salt Lake. The SD40-2s had extended range dynamic braking and the extra air reservoir to ensure proper control of the train when traveling with loads. The uphill return trip with empties was when power was used.

The Kennecott SD40-2s also had step lights in the form of openings in the angled wall of the corner steps. They also had small 2,600-gallon fuel tanks, instead of the standard 4,000-gallon tanks, because the Kennecott railroad was only 16 miles in each direction. The small fuel tanks allowed the extra air reservoir to be located behind the fuel tank.

General Notes:

a. Equipped with dynamic braking and an extra air reservoir located to the rear of the fuel tank.
b. Federal ICC documents show that all seven locomotives were owned by Kennecott Copper, and financed through a lien-lease agreement with First Security Bank of Utah, dated September 1, 1978 (transferred to First Security Leasing Company on September 15, 1980); last day of lease was January 15, 1997, and the lien/lease was released by First Security on June 24, 1999. The per-unit purchase price was $700,000. (ICC Recordation 9792)
c. Kennecott's Ore Haulage operations were shut down on June 30, 1984; all seven locomotives were removed from service on July 1, 1984 and stored at Magna, Utah.
d. On November 14, 1985, all seven locomotives were leased by Kennecott on a 30-day lease to Canadian Pacific (CP Rail). The locomotives were originally intended to be shipped in July 1985 but required shop work prior movement. The shop work was completed by National Railway Equipment at Kennecott's Magna shop, and included general repairs and reconditioning, new air brake system, and ditch lights for service in Canada. Delivered to CP by UP at Eastport, Idaho on November 17, 1985; the lease was to be in increments of 30 days, to be extended upon mutual agreement, spending most of their time in CP service Ontario and Quebec; the units were stored by CP at Winnipeg until summer 1986; moved to North Vancouver pending lease to British Columbia Rail. (Rental fee was reported as $300 per day, per locomotive; the sublease included 90 days of no-charge storage at the end of the lease period.)
e. On October 22, 1986, all seven locomotives were leased by Kennecott on a 10-year lease to British Columbia Rail (BCOL). The lease went into effect on January 15, 1987. Renumbered to BCOL 736-742 as Radio Controlled Locomotives for mid-train helper service. (BCOL 743-750 were former Shamrock Coal Company's Oneida & Western SD40s, with BCOL 751-767 being BCOL's own SD40-2s.) Ex-Kennecott 104 was being repainted and renumbered to BCOL 739 in June 1987. All locomotives were reported as being removed from BCOL service in September 1995 and renumbered to HLCX. (Rental fee was reported as $235 per day, per locomotive.) (BCOL lease information from STB Recordations) (1995 information from Canadian Trackside Guide 2000)
f. Upon expiration in January 1997 of the original 1978 lien/lease, all seven locomotives were sold to Helm Financial (which had acted as Kennecott's agent since July 1984); Helm in turn used them in national lease service as Helm Leasing (HLCX) 6204-6210.
g. After Helm took ownership, some of the seven units had their extra air reservoir (behind the fuel tank) removed, and a larger, standard 4,000 gallon fuel tank installed.
h. Kennecott 105 and 107, as HLCX 6208 and 6210, were sold to Norfolk Southern and became NS 3521 and 3522 in January 2014. The two units retained their small fuel tank and extra air reservoir.
   

EMD MP15AC -- 3 locomotives (Ore Haulage)
B-B; 1500 horsepower

Road
Number
Builder
Date
Builder
Number
Air
Date
Date
Received
Date In
Service
Date
Sold
Later
Number
Notes
KCC 120 Dec 1978 776128-1 16 Dec 1978 27 Dec 1978 8 Jan 1979 Oct 2003 CP 1446 1
KCC 121 Dec 1978 776128-2 16 Dec 1978 27 Dec 1978 9 Jan 1979 Oct 2003 CP 1447 2
KCC 122 Dec 1978 776128-3 16 Dec 1978 27 Dec 1978 8 Jan 1979 Jun 1997 UPY 1429 3

General Notes:

a. All three locomotives were equipped with 13-inch extended width cab on the engineer's side for improved visibility on the car dumpers at Bonneville, Magna, and Arthur concentrator mills.
b. Federal ICC documents show that all three locomotives were owned by Kennecott Copper, and financed through a lien-lease agreement with First Security Bank of Utah, dated September 1, 1978 (transferred to First Security Leasing Company on September 15, 1980); last day of lease was January 15, 1997, and the lien/lease was released by First Security on June 24, 1999. The per-unit purchase price was $475,000. (ICC Recordation 9792)
c. Kennecott 120 and 121 were stored as of late October 2003.
d.

The extended cabs on KCC 120 and 121, after being sold to Canadian Pacific in 2003, were modified at the CP/Progress Rail Weston Shops, Winnipeg, Manitoba, after arriving from Ogden Shops in Calgary as partial shells. The cabs were modified by Weston, including different cab window arrangements, then returned to Ogden for final overhaul and full repainting. (update from Ross Harrison via email dated January 18, 2011)

Notes:

1.

KCC 120 was sold by Kennecott to Rail Trust Equipment (RTEX); traded to Canadian Pacific in 2003 as part of a deal of 13 older CP switchers traded to RTEX for four more modern switchers including KCC 120, repainted and lettered as CP 1446 by mid 2005, assigned to St. Paul, Minnesota.

(Photo as CP 1446, as well as other photos taken in 2004-2005)

2.

KCC 121 was sold by Kennecott to Rail Trust Equipment (RTEX); traded to Canadian Pacific in 2003 as part of a deal of 13 older CP switchers traded to RTEX for four more modern switchers including KCC 121, repainted and lettered as CP 1447 by mid 2005, assigned to St. Paul, Minnesota.

(Photo as CP 1447, as well as other photos taken in 2004-2005)

3.

KMC 122 was sold by Kennecott to Helm Financial in January 1997; leased to UP in April 1997 as UP 1429, extended cab converted to standard-width cab and locomotive, rebuild completed in June 1997 and unit shipped to UP (lease started on June 18, 1997); renumbered to UPY 1429 on October 8, 2001; lease expired and returned to Helm in March 2002; sold to Crete Grain (CGWX) 1500 at Oakes, North Dakota by July 2005. (Diesel Era, January-February 2006, page 55)

(Read more about UP 1429, as part of the Union Pacific roster)

(Photo as UP 1429 in April 1997, still in KCC paint, at LocoPhotos.com)

(Read more about UPY 1429, as part of the Union Pacific roster)

   

EMD MP15AC -- 1 locomotive (Ore Haulage)
B-B; 1500 horsepower

Road
Number
Previous
Number
Date
Renumbered
Builder
Date
Builder
Number
Date
Sold
Later
Number
Notes
KMC 123 KCC 704 15 Jan 1984 Dec 1978 776117-2 1995 GWWR 1510/TN 1510 1

General Notes:

a. KMC 123 was built as Kennecott Copper 704, transferred to Ore Haulage on September 19, 1983, entered service as a spare dumper locomotive on September 21, 1983, repainted green and renumbered to KMC 123 on January 15, 1984.
b. KMC 123 was removed from service on April 8, 1988, after the Magna car dumper was shut down (the Arthur car dumper had been shut down in 1985; the Bonneville car dumper remained in service until May 2001).

Notes:

1.

KMC 123 (ex KCC 704) was removed from service on April 8, 1988, stored until sold to Helm Financial in 1995; leased to Gateway Western (GWWR) 1510, from September 29, 1995 until June 1, 2001; returned to Helm in June 2001; sold in June 2001 to Texas & Northern Railroad (TN) (Lone Star Steel) 1510. (part from STB Recordation 19878, dated December 20, 2001; Randy Keller, email dated January 1, 2012)

(Read more about KCC 704, below)

(Photo of GWWR 1510, at LocoPhotos.com, note reduced fuel tank height)

   

GE 125-ton electric -- 7 locomotives (Ore Haulage)
B-B; 3000 VDC / 750 VDC; 3200 horsepower; 250,000 pounds operating weight

Road
Number
Previous
Number
Builder
Date
Builder
Number
Date
Retired
Date
To Mine
Planned Mine
Number
Date
Retired
Notes
KCC 401 KCC 1 Nov 1947 29035 Dec 1978   (KCC 1800) 31 Mar 1982  
KCC 402 KCC 2 Nov 1947 29036 Dec 1978 20 Dec 1978 (KCC 1801) 31 Mar 1982 1
KCC 403 KCC 3 Nov 1947 29037 Dec 1978 20 Dec 1978 (KCC 1802) 31 Mar 1982  
KCC 404 KCC 4 Nov 1947 29038 Dec 1978 20 Dec 1978 (KCC 1803) 31 Mar 1982  
KCC 405 KCC 5 Nov 1947 29039 Dec 1978   (KCC 1804) 31 Mar 1982  
KCC 406 KCC 6 Nov 1947 29119 Dec 1978 28 Dec 1978 (KCC 1805) 31 Mar 1982 2
KCC 407 KCC 7 Nov 1947 29120 Dec 1978 28 Dec 1978 (KCC 1806) 31 Mar 1982 3

General Notes:

a. General Electric records show that these seven locomotives were built for Utah Copper Co. even though that company had became the Utah Copper Division of Kennecott Copper Corp. in January 1941.
b. Built as KCC 1-7, renumbered to KCC 401-407 in May 1964.
c. Equipped with dynamic braking.
d. Equipped for operation on both 3000 VDC mainline voltage and 750 VDC yard voltage to allow shared use of yard tracks in Copperton yard with the 750 VDC, 700-class Bingham mine electrics.
e. KCC 401-407 had 256,000 pounds operating weight and 62,500 pounds tractive effort.
f. These locomotives were operated in 2-locomotive sets to power the 18 daily 28-mile round trips between Copperton yard and the mills at Magna and Arthur, and after 1964, Bonneville, with a average annual mileage of 50,000 miles; between the time of their delivery in 1948 and 1964, there were two locomotives assigned on a rotating basis to the car dumpers at both the Magna and Arthur mills, leaving five locomotives available for road trains; the expansion of operations in 1964 required additional motive power to operate additional trains for the new Bonneville mill, so additional locomotives were transferred to Utah from Kennecott's Chino operations in New Mexico and rebuilt for specific assignment to the car dumpers, releasing all seven road locomotives to road service.
g. During early 1974, Kennecott studied the possibility of converting the Copperton Low Grade line from 3000 VDC to 25000 VAC; both EMD (with ASEA of Sweden) and GE expressed an interest. (Pacific News, Issue 146, December 1973, page 17)
f. During late May 1978, and again in early August 1978, lightning struck the substation at Cyprus, halfway between Bingham and Magna. The resulting damage shut down the Copperton Low Grade line for ten days; the 400-class electrics were replaced by leased UP GP30s 807 and 809, and new high-cab GP39-2s 779 and 780, as well as the MP15 switchers.

Notes:

1.

KCC 402 was donated to NRHS-Promontory Chapter (Salt Lake City, Utah) on May 10, 1983; KCC 402 was traded to Oquirrh Mountain Mining Museum in November 1998, and is displayed at the Deseret Peak Complex (motor sports center) near Grantsville, Utah.

(Read more about the donation of these Kennecott locomotives)

2. KCC 406 was converted to 750 VDC to operate in the Bingham mine in March 1980 but was never used in regular service.
3. KCC 407 was donated, along with 80-ton and 125-ton electrics 700 and 771 and dump car 539, to Western Railway Museum, Rio Vista Junction, California in August 1984.
   

GE/Westinghouse 125-ton electric -- 3 locomotives (Ore Haulage)
B-B; 250,000 pounds operating weight

Road
Number
First
Number
Second
Number
Builder
Date
Builder
Number
Date
To Utah
Rebuild
Date
Date
To Mine
Planned Mine
Number
Notes
KCC 408 KCC-Chino 102 KCC-Chino 2 Sep 1954 32187 Nov 1964 Dec 1964 Dec 1978 (KCC 1807) 1
KCC 409 KCC-Chino 103 KCC-Chino 3 Apr 1958 33347 Dec 1964 Feb 1965 Dec 1978 (KCC 1808) 1
KCC 410 KCC-Chino 101 KCC-Chino 1 Sep 1954 32186 Feb 1965 Mar 1965 Dec 1978 (KCC 1809) 2

General Notes:

a. All three locomotives were built as Kennecott-Chino Mines Division locomotives, numbered as Chino Mines Division 101-103, renumbered to CMD 1-3.
b.

All three locomotives were transferred to Utah in 1964 due to expansion in operations at Bingham; rebuilt for specific assignment to the Magna and Arthur car dumpers, releasing all of the seven road locomotives from car dumper service to road service to move the additional ore tonnage required by new Bonneville mill. (CMD 104, later CMD 4, was transferred to Utah in 1971, renumbered to Utah Copper Division no. 778)

(Read more about KCC 778, below)

c. Converted from 750 VDC used at Chino to 3000 VDC used by Ore Haulage; work was done by Westinghouse in their Salt Lake City, Utah, facility; all three locomotives originally looked like the 766-773 class Bingham mine locomotives and were completely rebuilt by Westinghouse with new car bodies that included bay windows for the engineer and full width car bodies at the rear that allowed better visibility at the Magna, Arthur, and Bonneville car dumpers.
d. (Read more about these four locomotives when they were assigned to KCC Chino)

Notes:

1. KCC 408 and 409 were donated, along with 85-ton electrics 702 and 703, to Boone Valley Historical Society (Boone, Iowa) in November 1985, delivered in June 1986; both units remain in the collection, as of January 25, 2011. (2011 update from Fenner Stevenson, General Manager, Boone & Scenic Valley Railroad & Museum, via email dated January 25, 2011)
2. KCC 410 (disposition unknown, likely scrapped at Dry Forks shop)
   

Ingersoll-Rand 60-ton oil-electric -- 1 locomotive (Utah Copper)
B-B; 300 horsepower; 120,000 pounds operating weight

Road
Number
Builder
Date
GE Builder
Number
Alco Builder
Number
Date
Retired
Notes
Utah Copper 600 (1st) Jul 1926 10028 66680 about 1928 1

General Notes:

a. Utah Copper 600 (1st) was built in 1926 for Ingersoll-Rand by American Locomotive Co. at Schenectady, New York. using General Electric electric equipment and an Ingersoll-Rand oil engine as the twelfth Ingersoll-Rand box cab oil-electric locomotive built (Utah Copper 600 was the sixth of the second group of six locomotives)
b. Leased to Utah Copper Co. to participate in the one-year motive power tests for Bingham copper mine in 1926, testing its performance against the performance of Bingham & Garfield 0-8-0 steam locomotive number 500 and new Utah Copper battery/electric locomotive number 700; Utah Copper 600 was delivered to Utah Copper in early August 1926. There is a photo of a waste train at the mine, in an article about the copper mine in 1927. The photo shows just the end of the locomotive, with the distinctive profile of an I-R boxcab locomotive, so it was definitely in service at the time.
c. The locomotive was a failure on the grades in the Bingham open-pit mine and was returned to Ingersoll-Rand at some time in 1928; sold to Lehigh Valley number 99 on January 21, 1932; retired by LV in September 1947; scrapped by Lehigh Valley in June 1950.
d. See also "Ingersoll-Rand: catalyst of Dieselization" by David H. Hamley in Trains magazine, December 1970, page 35.
e. See also Lehigh Valley roster in Extra 2200 South, Issue 76, November 1982, page 22, note 5; photograph as LV 99 in Extra 2200 South, Issue 76, November 1982, page 30.
f.

Utah Copper number 600 looked very similar to Central of New Jersey number 1000.

(Photo of Central of New Jersey no. 1000, at GodfatherRails.com)

   

GE 100-ton electric -- 1 locomotive (Utah Copper)
B-B; 200,000 pounds operating weight

Road
Number
Builder
Date
Builder
Number
1948 KCC
Number
1965 KCC
Number
Notes
Utah Copper 600 (2nd) Mar 1942 15105 KCC 665 KCC 765 1

General Notes:

a. Utah Copper 600 (2nd) was built in 1942; operated by Bingham & Garfield Railway as car-dumper motive power at Magna (Fogarty) and Arthur mills; KCC 600 joined 70-ton electrics 1000 and 1001 and 85-ton electrics 737, 738, 740, and 741, also assigned to Ore Delivery Department car dumper service at Magna and Arthur mills until 1948; all seven locomotives were transferred to the Bingham mine in 1948 after the new low-grade, all-electric Ore Haulage line was put into operation; the entire electrification at the mills was changed from 600 VDC to 3000 VDC at the same; car dumper motive power at the mills was then filled by rotating single, new 3000 VDC electric road locomotives between car dumper service and regular road service.

Notes:

1. Utah Copper 600 (2nd) was transferred to Bingham operations and renumbered to KCC 665 in 1948; renumbered to KCC 765 in October 1965.
   

GE 85-ton electric -- 42 locomotives (Utah Copper Bingham mine)
B-B; 750 VDC; (see general notes for operating weight and tractive effort)

Road
Number
Builder
Date
Builder
Number
Battery Cable
Reel
Last Paint
Scheme
Date
Retired
Notes
KCC 700 May 1927 10258 X X   8 Sep 1983 1
(KCC 701) (Jun 1928) (10656)         2
KCC 702 Sept 1928 10657 X     31 Mar 1982 3
KCC 703 Aug 1928 10658 X     8 Sep 1983 3
KCC 704 Sep 1928 10661     all-yellow 11 May 1972  
KCC 705 Oct 1928 10662       27 Dec 1972  
KCC 706 Oct 1928 10663       15 Mar 1979  
KCC 707 Oct 1928 10664       27 Dec 1972  
KCC 708 Oct 1928 10665       13 Dec 1979 4
KCC 709 Nov 1928 10666   X   15 Mar 1979  
KCC 710 Dec 1928 10667     all-black 27 Dec 1972  
KCC 711 Dec 1928 10668       1 Dec 1972 5
KCC 712 Dec 1928 10669   X   31 Mar 1982  
KCC 713 Jan 1929 10670       8 Feb 1983  
KCC 714 Jan 1929 10671       27 Dec 1972  
KCC 715 Jan 1929 10672       27 Dec 1972  
KCC 716 Jan 1929 10673       15 Mar 1979  
KCC 717 Feb 1929 10674       15 Mar 1979  
KCC 718 Feb 1929 10675   X   31 Mar 1982  
KCC 719 Feb 1929 10676       31 Mar 1982  
KCC 720 (1st) Feb 1929 10677     all-black 27 Dec 1972  
KCC 720 (2nd) Oct 1928 10665       8 Feb 1983  
KCC 721 Feb 1929 10678       27 Dec 1972  
KCC 722 Jun 1929 10866     all-yellow 1 Dec 1972 5
KCC 723 Jun 1929 10867       31 Mar 1982  
KCC 724 Jun 1929 10868 X     8 Sep 1983 6
KCC 725 Jun 1929 10869       31 Mar 1982  
KCC 726 Jul 1929 10870     all-black 11 May 1972  
KCC 727 Jun 1929 10871       15 Mar 1979  
KCC 728 Jul 1929 10872       15 Mar 1979  
KCC 729 Jul 1929 10873     all-black 11 May 1972  
KCC 730 Aug 1929 10874   X   31 Mar 1982  
KCC 731 Aug 1929 10875       27 Dec 1972  
KCC 732 Aug 1929 10876       15 Mar 1979  
KCC 733 Jul 1929 10877       15 Mar 1979  
KCC 734 Sep 1929 10878     all-black 11 May 1972  
KCC 735 Sep 1929 10879       31 Mar 1982  
KCC 736 Sep 1929 10880       15 Mar 1979  
KCC 737 Sep 1929 10881       10 Oct 1975  
KCC 738 Oct 1929 10882       15 Mar 1979  
KCC 739 Oct 1929 10883       31 Mar 1982  
KCC 740 Sep 1929 10884       15 Mar 1979  
KCC 741 Oct 1929 10885       15 Mar 1979  

General Notes:

a. Built as 75-ton locomotives, re-ballasted by Utah Copper as 85-ton locomotives.
b. Operating voltage was 750 VDC (B&G 740 was 600 VDC until it was transferred to the mine in 1948)
c. Builder plate specifications show B+B, 150/150-4GHM818A, 750VDC
d. Pantographs were Type S-515C with 17 feet, 7 inches to 26 feet variation; side-arm pantographs were Type S-204A with 17 feet, 7 inches to 22 feet, 1 inch variation.
e. One source says that Utah Copper 703 was built as Utah Copper 701. This seems unlikely because of the sequence of builder numbers. GE numbers 10640-10656 are accounted for; most are small electric mine locomotives built for use inside coal mines, all built between February and October 1928.
f. Battery Locomotives - Numbers 700, 702, 703, and 724 were equipped for both overhead (750 VDC) and battery (600 VDC) operations; storage batteries were used in line relocation work in the Bingham mine where overhead power was not available. The batteries had a 500-hour running time and were recharged through the catenary. The battery feature was only used occasionally after heavy-duty highway trucks were adapted for use in the mine beginning in the 1930s and 1940s.
g. Cable Reel Locomotives - Numbers 700, 709, 712, 718, 728, and 730 were equipped for both overhead and cable reel operation; cable reels were used in line relocation work in the Bingham mine where overhead power was not available. The cable was 0 AWG, 2500 feet in length and was connected at a junction box at the nearest overhead support. The cable reel was driven by a Type CY-21 motor. The cable feature was only used occasionally after highway trucks were adapted for track relocation work in the mine beginning in the 1930s and 1940s.
h. B&G Locomotives - Numbers 737 and 741 were assigned to Bingham & Garfield local service at the Bingham mine serving common carrier access to other mining companies.
i. B&G Locomotives - Number 740 was assigned as car-dumper locomotive at Magna and Arthur mills, along with 80-ton electrics 1000 and 1001, and no. 600 after it was delivered new in 1942; all five dumper locomotives were transferred to the Bingham mine in December 1948, changing ownership from B&G to KCC, upon beginning of operations of the new low-grade Ore Haulage line, after the dumper yards at the mills were converted from 600 VDC to 3000 VDC to allow use of the larger Ore Haulage locomotives in rotation with regular mine-to-mill service.
j. Mine locomotive operating weight and tractive effort.
  Road
Number
Operating
Weight (pounds)
Tractive
Effort (pounds)
Notes
  KCC 700, 702, 703, 724 170,600 33,000 Battery locomotives
  KCC 737, 740, 741 185,380 55,600 B&G locomotives (740 was 600 VDC)
  KCC 704-723, 725-747 172,800 35,000  
k. Locomotives retired in 1972-1979, and in March and April 1982 (total of 53 locomotives) were stored in the vicinity of Dry Forks shops, and on out-of-service tracks until all were gathered and stored along the abandoned Bingham & Garfield track above Copperton until all were sold for salvage in May 1982; throughout the summer of 1982 the salvage dealer scrapped the locomotives where they sat and hauled away the scrap metal in trucks.
l. Locomotives retired in August 1982 and in 1983 (total of eight locomotives) were either donated for preservation, or were scrapped by Kennecott at Dry Forks shops.

Notes:

1. KCC 700 was donated, along with 125-ton electrics 407 and 771 and dump car 539, to Western Railway Museum (Rio Vista Junction, California) in August 1984.
2. (KCC 701) was wrecked on September 1, 1928 while in transit to Utah Copper, scrapped by Utah Copper on June 1, 1931; builder number 10656 was apparently reused by GE for a small 5-ton locomotive for Franklin Coal Mining Company. (Wreck and scrapping data from Basil Doman, via Steve Swanson; Basil Doman was a B&G and Utah Copper engineer and recalled seeing the locomotive in storage at Bingham after it was wrecked; he was a model railroader and asked about the wrecked locomotive and was given the date information shown above.)
3.

KCC 702 and 703 were donated, along with 125-ton electrics 408 and 409, to Boone Valley Historical Society (Boone, Iowa) in November 1985, delivered in June 1986; both units were acquired due to their similarity to Fort Dodge, Des Moines & Southern's number 209; both units remain in the collection, as of January 25, 2011. (2011 update from Fenner Stevenson, General Manager, Boone & Scenic Valley Railroad & Museum, via email dated January 25, 2011)

(Photo of KCC 702 photo at Boone, Iowa, at RailPictures.net)

4. KCC 708 was renumbered to KCC 720 on December 13, 1979, to clear the number for use by a new GP39-2 to be delivered in 1980.
5. KCC 711 and 722 were transferred to Kennecott-Nevada Mines Division in 1974.
6. KCC 724 was donated to Puget Sound Railway Historical Society (Snoqualmie, Washington), along with RSD-4 909 and 50-ton dump car 212, shipped from Bingham mine on January 12, 1984; many air brake problems en route; delivered to Snoqualmie on July 11, 1984; scrapped at Snoqualmie during 2000. (2000 update from Frank Hicks, email dated January 10, 2011)
7.

KCC 759 was donated to NRHS-Promontory Chapter (Salt Lake City, Utah) on May 10, 1983; sold for scrap in January 1984.

(Read more about the donation of these Kennecott locomotives, below)

   

GE 85-ton electric -- 19 locomotives (Utah Copper Bingham mine)
B-B; 750 VDC

Road
Number
Builder
Date
Builder
Number
Last Paint
Scheme
Date
Retired
Notes
KCC 742 Feb 1937 12155   26 Aug 1976  
KCC 743 Feb 1937 12156   15 Mar 1979  
KCC 744 Feb 1937 12157   15 Mar 1979  
KCC 745 Feb 1937 12158   31 Mar 1979  
KCC 746 Feb 1937 12159   15 Apr 1982  
KCC 747 Feb 1937 12160   1 Mar 1979  
KCC 748 Feb 1937 12169   31 Mar 1982  
KCC 749 Feb 1937 12170   8 Feb 1983  
KCC 750 Mar 1937 12171   15 Mar 1979  
KCC 751 Mar 1937 12172   15 Apr 1982  
KCC 752 Apr 1937 12173   31 Mar 1982  
KCC 753 Apr 1937 12174   15 Mar 1979  
KCC 754 Apr 1937 12175   31 Mar 1982  
KCC 755 Aug 1937 12234   31 Mar 1982  
KCC 756 Sep 1937 12235   31 Mar 1982  
KCC 757 Sep 1937 12236   31 Mar 1982  
KCC 758 Sep 1937 12285   15 Apr 1982  
KCC 759 Oct 1937 12286   16 Aug 1982 1
KCC 760 Oct 1937 12287   8 Feb 1983  

General Notes:

a. Built as 75-ton locomotives, re-ballasted by Utah Copper as 85-ton locomotives.
b. Operating voltage was 750 VDC.
c. Builder plate specifications show B+B, 150/150-4GHM818A, 750VDC
d. Pantographs were Type S-515C with 17 feet, 7 inches to 26 feet variation; side-arm pantographs were Type S-204A with 17 feet, 7 inches to 22 feet, 1 inch variation.
e. KCC 748-760 had 169,300 pounds operating weight and 35,000 pounds tractive effort.
f. Locomotives retired in 1972-1979, and in March and April 1982 (total of 53 locomotives) were stored in the vicinity of Dry Forks shops, and on out-of-service tracks until all were gathered and stored along the abandoned Bingham & Garfield track above Copperton until all were sold for salvage in May 1982; throughout the summer of 1982 the salvage dealer scrapped the locomotives where they sat and hauled away the scrap metal in trucks.
g. Locomotives retired in August 1982 and in 1983 (total of eight locomotives) were either donated for preservation, or were scrapped by Kennecott at Dry Forks shops.

Notes:

1.

KCC 759 was donated to NRHS-Promontory Chapter (Salt Lake City, Utah) on May 10, 1983; sold for scrap in January 1984.

(Read more about the donation of these Kennecott locomotives)

   

EMD GP30 diesel-electric -- 12 locomotives (Utah Copper Division)
B-B; 2250 horsepower

Road
Number
Previous
Number
Builder
Date
Builder
Number
Lease Start
Date
Lease End
Date
KCC 701 D&RGW 3027 Feb 1963 28056 May 1973 Dec 1978
KCC 704 D&RGW 3020 Feb 1963 28049 May 1973 Dec 1978
KCC 705 UP 813 Jul 1962 27522 May 1973 Dec 1978
KCC 707 UP 804 Jul 1962 27513 May 1973 Dec 1978
KCC 710 UP 820 Jul 1962 27528 May 1973 Dec 1978
KCC 711 UP 835 Aug 1962 27544 May 1973 Dec 1978
KCC 714 UP 807 Jul 1962 27516 May 1973 Dec 1978
KCC 715 UP 809 Jul 1962 27518 May 1973 Dec 1978
KCC 720 UP 815 Jul 1962 27524 May 1973 Dec 1978
KCC 721 UP 817 Jul 1962 27526 May 1973 Dec 1978
KCC 722 D&RGW 3021 Feb 1963 28050 May 1973 Dec 1978
KCC 726 D&RGW 3022 Feb 1963 28051 May 1973 Dec 1978
(no KCC number) D&RGW 3014 Jan 1963 28043 Sep 1973 Mar 1974

General Notes:

a. All twelve locomotives leased from Union Pacific and Denver & Rio Grande Western beginning in May 1973; the lease ended in December 1978.
b. D&RGW 3014 was also leased (without an assigned Kennecott number) between September 4, 1973 and mid-March 1974; the brief lease period (6 months) was likely to cover major repairs on one of the other D&RGW units that required a return to D&RGW, with 3014 sent as a replacement unit in the group of leased units.
c. These leased GP30s were numbered into vacated number slots in Kennecott's 700-class 85-ton straight electric fleet and were assigned to haul the waste trains from the Bingham open pit mine to disposal areas adjacent to the mine.
d. All locomotives were equipped with raised pilots and wooden foot boards.
e. UP, D&RGW, and Kennecott road numbers visually confirmed by Ryan Ballard.
   

GE U25B diesel-electric -- 2 locomotives (Bingham Utah Copper Mine)
B-B; 2500 horsepower

Road
Number
Previous
Number
Builder
Date
Builder
Number
Lease Start
Date
Lease End
Date
KCC 729 AT&SF 1608/6608 Feb 1963 34677 Sep 1975 Dec 1978
KCC 731 AT&SF 1611/6611 Feb 1963 34681 Sep 1975 Dec 1978

General Notes:

a. AT&SF and Kennecott road numbers visually confirmed by Ryan Ballard.
b. Both AT&SF units were seen in Colorado en route to Utah. (Pacific News, November 1975, page 13)
c. Builder data from Robert Lehmuth.
   

EMD MP15AC diesel-electric -- 2 locomotives (Bingham Utah Copper Mine)
B-B; 1500 horsepower

Road
Number
Builder
Date
Builder
Number
Air
Date
Date
Received
Date
Renumbered
Later
Number
Notes
KCC 701 Dec 1978 776117-1 20 Dec 1978 12 Jan 1979 Oct 1986 KCC 915 1
KCC 704 Dec 1978 776117-2   11 Jan 1979 Jan 1984 KMC 123 2

General Notes:

a. Federal ICC documents show that both locomotives were owned by Kennecott Copper, and financed through a lien-lease agreement with First Security Bank of Utah, dated September 1, 1978 (transferred to First Security Leasing Company on September 15, 1980); last day of lease was January 15, 1997, and the lien/lease was released by First Security on June 24, 1999. The per-unit purchase price was $500,000. (ICC Recordation 9792)
b. KCC 704 (as KMC 123) was removed from service on April 8, 1988, after the Magna car dumper was shut down (the Arthur car dumper had been shut down in 1985; the Bonneville car dumper remained in service until May 2001).

Notes:

1.

KCC 701 was renumbered to KCC 915 in October 1986.

(Read more about KCC 915, below, includes disposition after Kennecott)

2.

KCC 704 was transferred to Ore Haulage on September 19, 1983, repainted green and renumbered to KMC 123 on January 15, 1984

(Read more about KCC 123, above, includes disposition after Kennecott)

   

EMD GP39-2 diesel-electric -- 7 locomotives (Bingham Utah Copper Mine)
B-B; 2300 horsepower

Road
Number
Builder
Date
Builder
Number
Blue Card
Date
Date
Received
Date
Sold
Later
Number
Notes
KCC 705 Sep 1980 796342-1 1 Oct 1980 14 Oct 1980 Oct 2005 Rio Tinto 71705 1
KCC 706 Sep 1980 796342-2   14 Oct 1980     2
KCC 707 Sep 1980 796342-3   14 Oct 1980 2002 RailWorks/Tangent Rail/Stella-Jones 3
KCC 708 Sep 1980 796342-4   14 Oct 1980     4
KCC 709 Sep 1980 796342-5   20 Oct 1980   RARW 1010 5
KCC 710 Oct 1980 796342-6   30 Oct 1980     6
KCC 711 Oct 1980 796342-7 7 Oct 1980 30 Oct 1980 May 1998 HLCX 3952/EVWR 3836 7

General Notes:

a. Equipped with extra height cabs (26 inches) for improved visibility in the Bingham open pit copper mine.
b. Equipped with extra clearance pilots and fuel tanks.
c. Equipped with dynamic braking.
d. Federal ICC documents show that all seven were owned by Kennecott Copper, and used as collateral under a lien/lease agreement with First Security Bank of Utah (transferred to First Security Leasing Company on September 15, 1980), dated September 15, 1980; last day of lien/lease was January 15, 1999, at which time the locomotives became the property of Kennecott; asset value was reported as $5,170,000, or $738,571 for each locomotive. (ICC Recordation 12240-12243)
e. KCC 706 was transferred to Haulage Division in March 1988.
f. KCC 705 was rebuilt in-kind by Morrison Knudsen (Boise, Idaho) in March 1992; new paint and lettering scheme applied (seen en route to Boise in January 1992)
g. KCC 710 was rebuilt in-kind by Morrison Knudsen (Boise, Idaho) in April 1992; new paint and lettering scheme applied.
h. KCC 711 was rebuilt in-kind by Morrison Knudsen (Boise, Idaho) in May 1992; new paint and lettering scheme applied.
i. Dispositions of Kennecott 706, 708 and 710 are unknown. A former Kennecott employee recalls that all three locomotive had been out of service at Dry Fork shop for a long period, and had served as parts sources for the other units. When the other units were sold, these three remained and were likely scrapped along with large numbers of other mining equipment when Dry Fork shop was closed in summer 1999, and the site used for a new reload facility.

Notes:

1. KCC 705 was sold to Rio Tinto Minerals in July 2005 for use at the Rio Tinto Borax mine at Boron, California (formerly U.S. Borax, purchased by Rio Tinto in 1968). KCC 705 was seen en route at Colton on July 3, 2005; cab lowered by GATX at its facility at West Colton, California, seen on October 30, 2005 with freshly lowered cab and nose; seen on April 9, 2006 at Colton, California with freshly lowered cab; seen on June 30, 2007 at UP's yard in Colton, California with newly applied white paint scheme, en route to Rio Tinto Minerals at Boron, California, numbered as Rio Tinto 71705; seen in service at Boron in May 2008. (information from Robert Conroy via email August 24, 2007; and from N. L. Pitsch via email on May 21, 2008)

(Read more about Rio Tinto Minerals, at the company's web site)

(Photo of KCC 705 at Colton, at Trainorders.com, July 3, 2005)

(Photo of KCC 705 at GATX in Colton, with lowered cab, October 30, 2005)

(Photo of KCC 705 at GATX in Colton, with lowered cab, April 9, 2006)

(Photo of Rio Tinto 71705 en route at Colton, June 30, 2007, bound for Rio Tinto Minerals at Boron, California)

2. KCC 706 was owned by Kennecott after January 1999; further disposition unknown (reported as being unserviceable and unsellable; likely scrapped by Kennecott at Dry Fork shop just prior to its closing in summer 1999).
3.

KCC 707 (along with KCC 792 and 799) was sold to Railworks in 2002, as contract operator of Kennecott's rail operations at Magna/Garfield, Utah; sold to Tangent Rail in October 2005 as part of their purchase of Railworks; sold to Stella-Jones in April 2010 as part of their purchase of Tangent Rail; sold to Omaha Track in October 2012 as part of their purchase of the Garfield switching contract.

(Read more about the Garfield switching contract)

4. KCC 708 was owned by Kennecott after January 1999; further disposition unknown (reported as being unserviceable and unsellable; likely scrapped by Kennecott at Dry Fork shop just prior to its closing in summer 1999).
5. KCC 709 was owned by Kennecott after January 1999; sold to Rarus Railway (RARW) 1010 in 2000-2005 (along with standard cab 905), in service on Patriot Rail's Utah Central in Ogden, Utah; sold by Rarus before March 2010.
6. KCC 710 was owned by Kennecott after January 1999; further disposition unknown (reported as being unserviceable and unsellable; likely scrapped by Kennecott at Dry Fork shop just prior to its closing in summer 1999).
7.

KCC 711 was sold to Helm Financial in May 1998, rebuilt by Motive Power-Boise with new larger fuel tank and standard cab (seen at Boise in July 1998, still in as-built condition but with HLCX 3952 spray-painted on long hood); in national lease service as HLCX 3952; to Evansville Western Railroad (EVWR) number 3836 before January 2005. (EVWR 3836 frame-checked as 796342-7 by Joe Furgeson)

(Photo of HLCX 3952 at East St. Louis on March 31, 2006, at RRPictureArchives.net)

(Photo of EVWR 3836 at Paducah, Kentucky, at RRPictureArchive.net, with incorrect date)

(Photo of EVWR 3836 at Paducah, Kentucky on November 22, 2006, at RRPictureArchive.net)

   

EMD SW1500 diesel-electric -- 4 locomotives (Bingham Utah Copper Mine)
B-B; 1500 horsepower

Road
Number
First
Number
Builder
Date
Builder
Number
Date
Refurbished
Frame
Number
1987 KCC
Number
Date Sold
To Helm
1998 HLCX
Number
Notes
KCC 714 CRI&P 943 Jul 1966 31748 9 Dec 1982 7916-04 KCC 912 Apr 1998 HLCX 1515 1
KCC 715 CRI&P 945 Jul 1966 31750 21 Dec 1982 7916-06   Apr 1998 HLCX 1516 2
KCC 716 CRI&P 948 Jul 1966 31753 29 Dec 1982 7916-09 KCC 913 Apr 1998 HLCX 1517 3
KCC 717 CRI&P 949 Jul 1966 31754 21 Jan 1983 7916-10 KCC 914 Apr 1998 HLCX 1518 4

General Notes:

a. KCC 714-717 built new as Chicago, Rock Island & Pacific 943, 945, 948 and 949. Returned to owner, United States Leasing, upon Rock Island's shutdown in March 1980. Stored at the former Rock Island Silvis shops until moved to Morrison Knudsen in spring 1981.
b. Kennecott purchased the four locomotives from Morrison Knudsen in July 1982; M-K refurbished them, with completion dates as shown above. Modifications to the locomotives included 15-inch clearance for the pilots and fuel tanks (reducing the fuel capacity from 1,200 gallons to 900 gallons).
c.

KCC 714, 716, and 717 were removed from Bingham mine service on January 4, 1984; transferred to Garfield smelter service and renumbered to 900-series in January and April 1987.

(Read more about KCC 714, 716, and 717 as KMC 912, 913, and 914, below)

c. All four locomotives were sold to Helm Financial in April 1998; in national lease service as HLCX locomotives.

Notes:

1.

KCC 714 was removed from mine service on January 4, 1984, renumbered to KCC 912 in January 1987

2.

KCC 715 was removed from mine service on January 4, 1984; not renumbered to KCC 900-series; sold to Helm Financial in April 1998 at same time as other three locomotives in this group; used in national lease service as HLCX 1516

3. KCC 716 was removed from mine service on January 4, 1984, renumbered to KCC 913, April 1987
4. KCC 717 was removed from mine service on January 4, 1984, renumbered to KCC 914, April 1987 (briefly seen renumbered back to KMC 717 in late 1990)
   

Alco RS-2 diesel-electric -- 5 locomotives (Bingham Utah Copper Mine)
B-B; 1500 horsepower

Road
Number
First
Number
Builder
Date
Builder
Number
Date Transferred
To Utah
Date
Retired
Notes
KCC 722 KCC-Nevada 101 Sep 1948 75951 1978 16 Aug 1982  
KCC 729 KCC-Nevada 108 Jun 1948 75950 12 Oct 1978 16 Aug 1982 1
KCC 731 KCC-Nevada 107 Jan 1950 77891 1978 16 Aug 1982 1
KCC 737 KCC 902 Nov 1949 77563   1 Apr 1981 2
KCC 742 KCC-Nevada 102 Apr 1949 76801 6 Jun 1978 16 Aug 1982 1

General Notes:

a. KCC 722, 729, 731, and 742 were built as Kennecott-Nevada Mines Division locomotives; transferred to Kennecott-Utah Copper Division in 1978, renumbered to 700-series
b. KCC 737 was built as KCC 902; short hood lowered ("chopped") by Kennecott in July 1972; transferred to Bingham mine on January 21, 1977, renumbered to KCC 737.

Notes:

1.

KCC 729, 731 and 742 were donated to NRHS-Promontory Chapter (Salt Lake City, Utah) on May 10, 1983; sold for scrap in January 1984.

(Read more about the donation of these Kennecott locomotives, below)

2. KCC 737 was returned to Ore Haulage for parts; trucks used under various MP15ACs during truck rebuilding effort; body and frame scrapped by Ore Haulage during 1981.
   

Baldwin DRS6-4-1500 diesel-electric -- 1 locomotive (Bingham Utah Copper Mine)
B-B; 1500 horsepower; 270,000 pounds operating weight

Road
Number
First
Number
Builder
Date
Builder
Number
Date
Retired
Notes
KCC 734 KCC 901 Mar 1948 73474 16 Aug 1982 1

General Note:

a. KCC 734 was built as Baldwin DRS6-4-1500 demonstrator 1501; sold to Kennecott 901 in 1949; wrecked in 1952, changed from A-1-A trucks to B-B trucks during wreck repairs; short hood lowered, "chopped", in June 1972; KCC 901 was transferred to Bingham mine on April 20, 1977, repainted yellow and renumbered to KCC 734.
b. Equipped with 63:15 gear ratio.

Notes:

1.

KCC 734 was donated to NRHS-Promontory Chapter (Salt Lake City, Utah) on May 10, 1983; sold for scrap in January 1984.

(Read more about the donation of these Kennecott locomotives, below)

   

GE 90-ton electric -- 4 locomotives (Bingham Utah Copper Mine)
B-B; 750 VDC; 171,800 pounds operating weight; 50,300 pounds tractive effort

Road
Number
Builder
Date
Builder
Number
Date
Retired
Notes
KCC 761 Feb 1942 15101 16 Aug 1982 1
KCC 762 Feb 1942 15102 8 Feb 1983 2
KCC 763 Mar 1942 15103 25 Mar 1979 2
KCC 764 Mar 1942 15104 25 Mar 1979 2

General Note:

a. Kennecott data shows these units as 90 tons; GE data shows them as 85 tons.
b. KCC 761-764 had 171,800 pounds operating weight and 50,300 pounds tractive effort.

Notes:

1.

KCC 761 was donated to NRHS-Promontory Chapter (Salt Lake City, Utah) on May 10, 1983; sold for scrap in January 1984.

(Read more about the donation of these Kennecott locomotives, below)

2. Scrapped by Kennecott at Dry Forks shops during 1983-1984
   

GE 100-ton electric -- 1 locomotive (Bingham Utah Copper Mine)
B-B; 600 VDC (later converted to 750 VDC); 201,200 pounds operating weight; 50,300 pounds tractive effort

Road
Number
First
Number
Second
Number
Builder
Date
Builder
Number
Date
Retired
Notes
KCC 765 KCC 600 (2nd) KCC 665 Mar 1942 15105 16 Jun 1982 1

General Note:

a. Built as Utah Copper 600 and used by Ore Delivery Department (B&G Ry.) in 600 VDC car dumper service at Magna and Arthur mills, joining numbers 740, 1000, and 1001 already assigned there. Transferred to Bingham mine in December 1948 (converted to 750 VDC and renumbered to 665) upon beginning of operations of the new low-grade Ore Haulage line. The dumper yards at the mills were converted to 3000 VDC to allow use of the larger Ore Haulage locomotives in rotation with regular mine-to-mill service. Number 665 was renumbered to 765 in October 1965.
  KCC 765 had 201,200 pounds operating weight and 50,300 pounds tractive effort.

Notes:

1. KCC 765 was scrapped by Kennecott at Dry Forks shops during 1983-1984
   

GE 125-ton electric -- 4 locomotives (Bingham Utah Copper Mine)
B-B; 750 VDC; 250,000 pounds operating weight; 57,700 pounds tractive effort

Road
Number
First
Number
Second
Number
Builder
Date
Builder
Number
Date Shipped
From GE
Date
Retired
Notes
KCC 766 KCC 800 KCC 866 Mar 1952 30920 18 Feb 1952 11 Nov 1983  
KCC 767 KCC 801 KCC 867 Mar 1952 30921 18 Feb 1952 11 Nov 1983 1
KCC 768 KCC 802 KCC 868 Mar 1952 30922 7 Mar 1952 11 Nov 1983  
KCC 769 KCC 803 KCC 869 Mar 1952 30923 7 Mar 1952 11 Nov 1983  

General Notes:

a. KCC 766-769 were built as Utah Copper 800-803; renumbered to 866-869 in November 1955; renumbered to 766-769 in October 1965
b. KCC 766 and 767 were shipped (as KCC 800 and 801) from GE on February 18, 1952; delivered to Lead Mine, Utah, Kennecott's interchange point with D&RGW's Bingham (Utah) Branch. (Locomotive Notes II, Issue 151, page 2)
c. KCC 768 and 769 were shipped (as KCC 802 and 803) from GE on March 7, 1952; delivered to Lead Mine, Utah, Kennecott's interchange point with D&RGW's Bingham (Utah) Branch.(Locomotive Notes II, Issue 151, page 2)
d. KCC 766-769 had 250,000 pounds operating weight and 57,700 pounds tractive effort.

Notes:

1. KCC 767 was removed from service on November 11, 1982.
   

GE 125-ton electric -- 4 locomotives (Bingham Utah Copper Mine)
B-B; 750 VDC; 250,000 pounds operating weight; 57,700 pounds tractive effort

Road
Number
First
Number
Second
Number
Builder
Date
Builder
Number
Date Shipped
From GE
Date
Retired
Notes
KCC 770 KCC 804 KCC 870 Oct 1955 32391 14 Oct 1955 11 Nov 1983  
KCC 771 KCC 805 KCC 871 Oct 1955 32392 14 Oct 1955 11 Nov 1983 1
KCC 772 KCC 806 KCC 872 Nov 1955 32393 22 Dec 1955 11 Nov 1983 2
KCC 773 KCC 807 KCC 873 Nov 1955 32394 22 Dec 1955 11 Nov 1983  

General Notes:

a. KCC 770-773 were built as Utah Copper 804-807; renumbered to 870-873 in November 1955; renumbered to 770-773 in October 1965
b. KCC 806 and 807 were renumbered by Kennecott after arriving in Utah, contrary to previous reports show that KCC 806 and 807 were renumbered to KCC 872 and 873 while still at GE, shipped to Utah as KCC 872 and 873; a photo in the Kennescope, Kennecott's company magazine, shows KCC 806 in service at Copperton.
c.

General Electric records show 770-773 as being built as numbers 870-873, but photographic research has found a photograph of number 871 with that number on the cab side and number 805 in the lighted number board.

(Photo of KCC 804 in service in Bingham)

d. KCC 770 and 771 were shipped (as KCC 804 and 805) from GE on October 14, 1955. (Locomotive Notes II, Issue 173, page 2)
e. KCC 772 and 773 were built as numbers 806 and 807, renumbered at GE to 872 and 873, shipped (as KCC 872 and 873) from GE on December 22, 1955. (Locomotive Notes II, Issue 173, page 2)
f. KCC 770-773 had 250,000 pounds operating weight and 57,700 pounds tractive effort.

Notes:

1. KCC 771 was donated, along with 80-ton electric 700, 125-ton electric 407, and dump car 539, to Western Railway Museum, Rio Vista Junction, California in August 1984.
2. KCC 772 was removed from service on May 15, 1982
   

GE 80-ton electric -- 2 locomotives (Bingham Utah Copper Mine)
B-B; 600 VDC (later converted to 750 VDC); 165,740 pounds operating weight; 40,000 pounds tractive effort

Road
Number
Previous
Number
Builder
Date
Builder
Number
Date
Retired
Notes
KCC 774 KCC 798 Dec 1917 6363 11 Feb 1974  
(KCC 775) KCC 799 Apr 1917 6272 11 May 1972  

General Notes:

a. Kennecott data shows both locomotives as 70 tons; GE data shows both locomotives as 80 tons.
b. GE Model LS404-E-160; GE Specification B+B-160/160-4GE69
c. Built for General Electric stock; sold to Manufacturers Railway, St. Louis, Missouri in May 1918; sold to Utah Copper Company in May 1924; received on June 16, 1924.
d. Utah Copper 1000 and 1001 were purchased to electrify the car dumper yards at the Magna and Arthur mills; placed in service on September 8 and 10, 1924.
e. Both locomotives were transferred to the Bingham mine in December 1948 (along with KCC 600 and 740) upon startup of electrified Copperton Ore Haulage line; at the same time, the dumper yards at the mills were converted from 600 VDC to 3000 VDC to allow use of the larger Ore Haulage locomotives as dumper engines, in rotation with regular mine-to-mill service.
f. Delivered as Utah Copper 1000 and 1001 in 1924; transferred to mine in 1948 and converted from 600 VDC to 750 VDC; to Kennecott Copper 1098 and 1099 in May 1964; to KCC 798 and 799 in October 1965; KCC 798 was renumbered to 774 in May 1966; KCC 799 was assigned number 775 but remained out of service during and after 1966 and was not renumbered.
  May 1966
KCC Number
June 1924
UCC Number
May 1964
KCC Number
October 1965
KCC Number
  KCC 774 UCC 1000 KCC 1098 KCC 798
  (KCC 775) UCC 1001 KCC 1099 KCC 799
         

GE 70-ton diesel-electric -- 3 locomotives (Bingham Utah Copper Mine)
B-B; 600 horsepower; 140,000 pounds operating weight

Road
Number
First
Number
Builder
Date
Builder
Number
Date
To Utah
Date
Retired
Notes
KCC 775 KCC-Nevada 61 Sep 1949 30374 1978 8 Feb 1982 1
KCC 776 KCC-Nevada 62 Sep 1949 30375 Jun 1966 16 Aug 1982 2
KCC 777 KCC-Nevada 66 Sep 1949 30379 Dec 1966 16 Aug 1982 3

General Note:

a. KCC 775-777 were built as Kennecott-Nevada Mines Division, Ruth, Nevada 61, 62, 66; transferred to Kennecott-Utah Copper Division in 1966 and 1978; all three locomotives were assigned to Bingham Precipitation Plant, Copperton, Utah.
b. KCC 775-777 had 140,000 pounds operating weight and 35,000 pounds tractive effort.
c.

All three units donated to NRHS-Promontory Chapter (Salt Lake City, Utah) on May 10, 1983

(Read more about the donation of these Kennecott locomotives, below)

Notes:

1. KCC 775 was donated to NRHS-Promontory Chapter (Salt Lake City, Utah) on May 10, 1983; retained for future service; offered for sale via Ozark Mountain Railcar in July 2008, not sold; scrapped by NRHS-Promontory Chapter in July 2010. (2008 and 2010 update from Ron Sims via email dated December 26, 2010)
2. KCC 776 was donated to NRHS-Promontory Chapter (Salt Lake City, Utah) on May 10, 1983; sold for scrap in January 1984.
3. KCC 777 was donated to NRHS-Promontory Chapter (Salt Lake City, Utah) on May 10, 1983; parts missing at donation, sold for scrap in January 1984. (photos taken as late as September 1983 show the unit in the line of locomotives donated to NRHS) (reported in error as being donated or sold to a museum in California.)
   

GE 125-ton electric -- 1 locomotive (Bingham Utah Copper Mine)
B-B

Road
Number
First
Number
Second
Number
Date To
Utah
Date In
Service
Builder
Date
Builder
Number
Date
Retired
Notes
KCC 778 KCC-Chino 104 KCC-Chino 4 Dec 1971 Mar 1973 Apr 1958 33348 11 Nov 1983 1

General Notes:

a. KCC 778 was built as Kennecott-Chino Mines Division 104, renumbered to KCC-Chino 4; transferred to KCC Utah Copper Division in April 1971; shipped to Utah in December 1971 (seen loaded on flat car in-transit through Pueblo, Colorado on December 11, 1971, with trucks in separate gondola); renumbered to KCC-Utah 778 in March 1973. (December 1971 data from Extra 2200 South, January-February 1972, page 30)
b. Painted in red-white-blue paint scheme in May 1976 to commemorate America's Bicentennial; repainted back to standard yellow and black in June 1978. Kennecott also painted Copperton Low Grade line cabooses 416 and 425 to a bicentennial paint scheme. (photographs as red-white-blue in Pacific News, June 1976, page 29 [photo by Ryan Ballard]; and in Extra 2200 South, Issue 64, April-May-June 1978, inside back cover [photo by John C. Benson])
c. (Read more about this locomotive in service at KCC Chino)

Notes:

1.

KCC 778 was donated, along with RS-3s 2 and 3, and RS-2 908, to Feather River Rail Society, Portola, California, in November 1985; still there in August 2010

(Photo of KCC 778 at Portola, California on August 14, 2010, at RRPictureArchive.net).

   

EMD GP39-2 diesel-electric -- 11 locomotives (Bingham Utah Copper Mine)
B-B; 2300 horsepower

Road
Number
Builder
Date
Builder
Number
Date
Received
Date Removed
From Service
Later
Number
Notes
KCC 779 Jan 1977 766028-1 11 Feb 1977 19 Sep 1983 MKT 380/UP 2350/UP 1201  
KCC 780 Jan 1977 766028-2 11 Feb 1977 19 Sep 1983 MKT 381/UP 2351/UP 1208  
KCC 781 Jan 1977 766028-3 11 Feb 1977 19 Sep 1983 MKT 382/UP 2352/UP 1202  
KCC 782 Jan 1977 766028-4 11 Feb 1977 19 Sep 1983 MKT 383/UP 2353/UP 1203  
KCC 783 Jan 1977 766028-5 13 Feb 1977 19 Sep 1983 MKT 384/UP 2354/UP 1204  
KCC 784 Jan 1977 766028-6 17 Feb 1977   KCC 910 1
KCC 785 Jan 1977 766028-7 13 Feb 1977 19 Sep 1983 MKT 385/UP 2355/UP 1205  
KCC 786 Jan 1977 766028-8 12 Feb 1977   KCC 911 2
KCC 787 Jan 1977 766028-9 17 Feb 1977 19 Sep 1983 MKT 386/UP 2356/UP 1206  
KCC 788 Jan 1977 766028-10 18 Feb 1977 19 Sep 1983 MKT 387/UP 2357/UP 1207  
KCC 789 Jan 1977 766028-11 21 Feb 1977 19 Sep 1983 MKT 388/UP 2358/UP 1200  

General Notes:

a. Equipped with extra height cabs (26 inches) for improved visibility in the Bingham open pit copper mine.
b. Equipped with extra clearance pilots and fuel tanks.
c. Equipped with dynamic braking.
d. KCC 779-789 were declared surplus and removed from service due to discontinuance of rail waste trains in September 1983.
e. All 11 units were owned Kennecott, contrary to earlier reports that they were owned by Helm Financial and leased to Kennecott (Helm acted as Kennecott's agent for the lease to MKT).
f. On August 2, 1984, a 13-year lease agreement was signed for KCC 779-783, 785, 787-789 (nine of the 11 units) to be leased by Kennecott to Missouri-Kansas-Texas Railroad; the locomotives were brought up to operable condition and FRA standards, including lowering the extra height cabs; work was performed by National Railway Equipment at a leased facility in Clearfield, Utah, between August and October 1984; moved to MKT in October 1984, under their own power as part of a power-pool agreement between MKT and D&RGW; in service as MKT 380-388; changed to UP with MKT/UP merger in August 1988, locomotives renumbered to UP 2350-2358 between December 1988 and January 1991, renumbered to UP 1200-1208 (not in sequence) in 2001-2003.
g. On all except KCC 782, the entire cab was lowered for the lease to MKT by removing the 26 inches of extra height, but because the actual cab roof was then too low, a four-inch hump was added to allow clearance to open the cab interior electrical cabinet doors. The extra-height cab on KCC 782, was in very poor shape from wreck damage repair by Kennecott (the cab had been sheared off by a mining shovel in the Bingham Canyon Mine). National Railway Equipment replaced the entire cab with one from a retired Milwaukee Road SD45.

Notes:

1.

KCC 784 was transferred to Ore Haulage on August 24, 1983, painted green and renumbered to KCC 910 at Bingham Dry Fork shops on November 8, 1983, shipped to Magna shops on January 18, 1984, entered service on February 3, 1984 (sold in February 2008 to Twin Cities & Western (TCWR) 2300)

(Read more about KCC 910, below)

2.

KCC 786 was transferred to Ore Haulage on August 24, 1983, painted green and renumbered to KCC 911 at Bingham Dry Fork shops on November 18, 1983, shipped to Magna shops on November 22, 1983, entered service on December 8, 1983 (sold in June 2005 to Dakota & Iowa Railroad (DAIR) 2511)

(Read more about KCC 911, below)

   

EMD GP39-2 diesel-electric -- 10 locomotives (Bingham Utah Copper Mine)
B-B; 2300 horsepower

Road
Number
Builder
Date
Builder
Number
Date
Received
Date
Sold
Later
Number
Notes
KCC 790 Oct 1978 776116-1 17 Nov 1978 28 Feb 2008 Twin Cities & Western (TCWR) 2301 1
KCC 791 Oct 1978 776116-2 23 Nov 1978 May 1993 Copper Basin Railway 501 2
KCC 792 Oct 1978 776116-3 20 Nov 1978 2002 RailWorks/Tangent Rail/Stella-Jones 3
KCC 793 Oct 1978 776116-4 19 Nov 1978 Jun 1989 Soo 4598; then CP 4598 4
KCC 794 Oct 1978 776116-5 23 Nov 1978 Jun 1989 Soo 4599; then CP 4599 5
KCC 795 Oct 1978 776116-6 28 Nov 1978 Aug 1995 HLCX 3950/UP 2749/ILSX 1390 6
KCC 796 Oct 1978 776116-7 28 Nov 1978 May 1993 Copper Basin Railway 502 7
KCC 797 Nov 1978 776116-8 10 Nov 1978 Aug 1995 HLCX 3951/UP 2750/ILSX 1389 8
KCC 798 Nov 1978 776116-9 17 Nov 1978 Jun 2005 Dakota & Iowa Railroad (DAIR) 2510 9
KCC 799 Nov 1978 776116-10 28 Nov 1978 2002 RailWorks/Tangent Rail/Stella-Jones 10

General Notes:

a. Equipped with extra height cabs (26 inches) for improved visibility in the Bingham open pit copper mine.
b. Equipped with extra clearance pilots and fuel tanks.
c. Equipped with dynamic braking.
d. Federal ICC documents show that all 10 locomotives were owned by Kennecott Copper, and financed through a lien-lease agreement with First Security Bank of Utah, dated September 1, 1978 (transferred to First Security Leasing Company on September 15, 1980); last day of lease was January 15, 1997, and the lien/lease was released by First Security on June 24, 1999. The per-unit purchase price was $575,000. (ICC Recordation 9792)
e. Number 790 rebuilt in-kind by Morrison Knudsen (Boise, Idaho) in February 1993.
f. Number 799 rebuilt in-kind by AMF (Montreal, Quebec) in May 1993.
g. KCC 791, 794, 795, and 797 were briefly in service as KCC 108-111, for about six months from late 1987 to April 1988, when the slurry pipeline between the new Copperton concentrator and the Garfield smelter went into service, reducing the need for motive power on the mainline railroad.

Notes:

1.

KCC 790 was transferred to Haulage Division in March 1988; sold (along with KCC 910) to Twin Cities & Western (TCWR) 2301 on February 28, 2008, stored at Provo, Utah, at time of sale; moved in July 2008 to Mid America Car in Kansas City to have the high cab cut down to standard height; completed and delivered to TC&W on March 17, 2009. (TC&W sale date and location from Mike Bargmann via email dated January 1, 2012)

(Photo as TCWR 790, with high cab, July 15, 2008)

(Photo as TWCR 2301, with lowered cab, April 11, 2009)

2.

KCC 791 was transferred to Haulage Division in October 1986; sold to Copper Basin Railway (Hayden, Arizona) number 501 in May 1993 (rebuilt with low cab by AMF Montreal in September 1993; AMF is Atelier Montreal Facility, formerly the Canadian National Montreal shops) (see also STB Recordation 25897, dated October 5, 2005; agreement between Copper Basin Railway and Rail Management Corp.)

(Photo as CBRy 501, with lowered cab, March 21, 2011)

3.

KCC 792 was sold (along with KCC 707 and 799) to Railworks in 2002, as contract operator of Kennecott's rail operations at Magna/Garfield, Utah; sold to Tangent Rail in October 2005 as part of their purchase of Railworks; sold to Stella-Jones in April 2010 as part of their purchase of Tangent Rail; sold to Omaha Track in October 2012 as part of their purchase of the Garfield switching contract. (There were reports that 792 and 799 were used briefly during April 2009 at Energy Solutions at Clive, Utah, 59 miles west of Garfield on UP's former WP mainline.)

(Read more about the Garfield switching contract)

4. KCC 793 was sold to Soo Line 4598 in late June 1989 (cab cut down to normal height)
5. KCC 794 was transferred to Haulage Division in October 1986; sold to Soo Line 4599 in late June 1989 (cab cut down to normal height)
6.

KCC 795 was transferred to Haulage Division in October 1986; sold to Helm Financial in August 1995, cab rebuilt to standard configuration, in lease service as HLCX 3950, leased to UP 2749, August 1996; retired by UP in January 2001, returned to Helm; sold to Independent Locomotive Service (ILSX) and used in national lease service as ILSX 1390, painted maroon with yellow lettering, in service on Illinois Railroad (OmniTrax) at Ottawwa, Illinois.

(Photo as ILSX 1390, with lowered cab, September 12, 2011)

7.

KCC 796 was sold to Copper Basin Railway (Hayden, Arizona) number 502 in May 1993. (rebuilt with a standard cab by AMF Montreal in September 1993; AMF is Atelier Montreal Facility, formerly the Canadian National Montreal shops) (see also STB Recordation 25897, dated October 5, 2005; agreement between Copper Basin Railway and Rail Management Corp.)

(Photo as CBRy 502, with lowered cab, February 23, 2006)

(Photo as CBRy 502, with lowered cab, February 21, 2011)

8.

KCC 797 was transferred to Haulage Division in October 1986; sold to Helm Financial in August 1995, cab rebuilt by VMV Enterprises to standard configuration (seen at Grand River, Kentucky, on January 20, 1996, still in Kennecott yellow paint and 797 number, but with rebuilt cab), in lease service as HLCX 3951, leased to UP 2750, August 1996; retired by UP in January 2001, returned to Helm; sold to Independent Locomotive Service (ILSX) and used in national lease service as ILSX 1389, still in UP paint until March 2007 when it was repainted at Horicon in Crawford, Wisconsin, in maroon with yellow lettering, in service during April 2011 on Twin Cities & Western at Moorhead, Minnesota.

(Photo of HLCX 3951, with lowered cab, February 15, 1996)

(Photo as ILSX 1389, with lowered cab, May 13, 2007)

(Photo as ILSX 1389, with lowered cab, April 29, 2011)

9.

KCC 798 was sold (along with KCC 911) to National Railway Equipment in June 2005 (Extra 2200 South, issue 128, page 16); seen en route to NRE at Provo, Utah on Utah Railway on June 18, 2005, and at Denver, Colorado on June 30, 2005; seen as NREX 798 at Concord, Ontario, Canada on July 29, 2005; stored at NRE's Dixmoor facility as NREX 798 in mid September 2005; cab lowered in October 2006 and sold to Dakota & Iowa Railroad (DAIR) as their 2510. (information from Ken Lanovich, via LocoNotes, September 10, 2005 and October 18, 2006)

(Photo at Provo on June 18, 2005)

(Photos at Denver on June 30, 2005, on Trainorders.com)

(Photo at Concord, Ontario, on July 29, 2005)

(Photo as NREX 798 at Galesburg, Illinois, with high cab, on August 20, 2005)

(Photo as NREX 798 at Janesville, Wisconsin, with lowered cab, on November 3, 2006)

(Photo as DAIR 2510 at Hawarden, Iowa, on September 25, 2007)

(Photo of DAIR 2510 and 2511 (ex KCC 911) at Sioux City, Iowa, on September 1, 2013)

10.

KCC 799 was sold (along with KCC 707 and 792) to Railworks in 2002, as contract operator of Kennecott's rail operations at Magna/Garfield, Utah; sold to Tangent Rail in October 2005 as part of their purchase of Railworks; sold to Stella-Jones in April 2010 as part of their purchase of Tangent Rail; sold to Omaha Track in October 2012 as part of their purchase of the Garfield switching contract. (There were reports that 792 and 799 were used briefly during April 2009 at Energy Solutions at Clive, Utah, 59 miles west of Garfield on UP's former WP mainline.)

(Read more about the Garfield switching contract)

   

Alco S-2 diesel-electric -- 1 locomotive (Bingham & Garfield)
B-B; 1000 horsepower; 228,300 pounds operating weight

Road
Number
Builder
Date
Builder
Number
Date To
Nevada
Notes
B&G 800 Jul 1942 69908 1944 1

General Notes:

a. Built as Bingham & Garfield Railway 800; used as yard switcher at Magna, Utah from 1942 until transferred to Nevada in 1944.
b. B&G 800 had 228,300 pounds operating weight and 68,500 pounds tractive effort.

Notes:

1. B&G 800 was transferred to Kennecott-Nevada Mines Division in 1944, in service until 1970.
   

Baldwin VO1000 diesel-electric -- 1 locomotive (Bingham & Garfield)
B-B; 1000 horsepower; 236,000 pounds operating weight

Road
Number
Builder
Date
Builder
Number
Date In
Service
Date To
New Mexico
Notes
B&G 801 Dec 1942 64731 31 Jan 1943 1949 1

General Notes:

a. Built as Bingham & Garfield Railway 801; used as yard switcher at Magna, Utah from 1943 until transferred to New Mexico 1949.
b. B&G 801 had 236,000 pounds operating weight and 70,500 pounds tractive effort.

Notes:

1. B&G 801 was transferred to Kennecott-Chino Mines Division in 1949, renumbered to Chino 80; transferred to Kennecott-Nevada Mines Division in September 1963, renumbered to Nevada number 801.

 

GE 128-ton diesel-electric -- 1 locomotive (Bingham & Garfield / Ore Haulage)
B-B; (2) Cooper-Bessemer engines; 1500 horsepower; 267,300 pounds operating weight

Road
Number
Builder
Date
Builder
Number
Notes
B&G 802 Mar 1943 15634 Renumbered to B&G 900 in June 1943

(See B&G 900, below)

 

Baldwin VO1000 diesel-electric -- 1 locomotive (Bingham & Garfield)
B-B; 1000 horsepower; 236,000 pounds operating weight

Road
Number
Builder
Date
Builder
Number
Date In
Service
Date To
Nevada
Notes
B&G 803 Feb 1943 64743 24 Mar 1943 9 Nov 1948 1

General Notes:

a. Built as Bingham & Garfield Railway 803; used as yard switcher at Magna, Utah from 1943 until transferred to Nevada in 1948.
b. B&G 803 had 236,000 pounds operating weight and 70,500 pounds tractive effort.

Notes:

1. B&G 803 was transferred to Kennecott-Nevada Mines Division in November 1948
   

GE 128-ton diesel-electric -- 1 locomotive (Bingham & Garfield / Ore Haulage)
B-B; (2) Cooper-Bessemer engines; 1500 horsepower; 267,300 pounds operating weight

Road
Number
Previous
Number
Date To
B&G 900
Builder
Date
Builder
Number
Date
Retired
Notes
B&G 900 B&G 802 Jun 1943 Mar 1943 15634 1972 1

General Notes:

a.

Bingham & Garfield 900 had a center-cab design and was one of the largest center-cabs built by General Electric.

(View a photo of B&G 900, at Magna in June 1943)

b. Built as Bingham & Garfield 802 in March 1943, renumbered to B&G 900 just three months later, in June 1943.
c.

B&G 802/900 was one of 19 similar very large center-cab locomotives built by General Electric.

(Read more about GE's large center cab locomotives)

d. Photo of B&G 802 in 1944 Locomotive Cyclopedia, page 973.
e. B&G 900 had 267,300 pounds operating weight and 70,250 pounds tractive effort.
f. The frame with bare engine blocks was stored on shop trucks at the Magna shops as late as 1972.

Notes:

1. KCC 900 was removed from service in 1967; scrapped by Kennecott at their Magna shops in July 1969
   

Baldwin DRS6-4-1500 diesel-electric -- 1 locomotive (Ore Haulage)
B-B (originally A1A-A1A); 1500 horsepower; 270,000 pounds operating weight

Road
Number
Previous
Number
Date To
KCC
Builder
Date
Builder
Number
Date In
Service
Later
Number
Date
Renumbered
Notes
KCC 901 Baldwin 1501 28 Oct 1949 Mar 1948 73474 14 Mar 1948 KCC 734 20 Apr 1977 1

General Notes:

a. Kennecott Copper 901 was built as Baldwin DRS6-4-1500 demonstrator 1501; sold to Kennecott 901 in 1948; Baldwin records, with in-service dates as of June 1960, show the sale date as 1949.
b. "Baldwin workmen, meanwhile, were busy building DRS-6-4-1500s -- including one unit of particular interest to the front office. Tacked onto a production run which included French Supply Council units and Norfolk Southern 1502-1510 was DRS-6-4-1500 demonstrator 1501. The unit was operational at Eddystone in early February 1948, and was first used as the guinea pig for a troubleshooting class held for customers' employees. On March 14, 1948, dressed in dark green with yellow trim, it was dispatched on a western sales tour. The first stop was the Southern Pacific (Texas & New Orleans) at El Paso, Texas, on April 10, 1948. The unit worked on the SP, California Western, McCloud River Railroad, and Western Pacific, and ended its tour on Utah's seven-mile Tooele Valley Railway. While it was there, officials of Kennecott Copper Co. inspected and rode the unit -- and bought it on the spot. The locomotive was delivered to Kennecott at Magna, Utah (where it became Kennecott Copper No. 901), on October 28, 1949." (Gary W. Dolzall and Stephen F. Dolzall, "Diesels From Eddystone: The Story Of Baldwin Diesel Locomotives", page 86)
c. Equipped with 63:15 gear ratio.
d. KCC 901 had 270,000 pounds operating weight and 55,950 pounds tractive effort.
e. Wrecked in December 1952, changed from A1A-A1A trucks to B-B trucks during wreck repairs.
f. Short hood lowered, "chopped", in June 1972.
g. Transferred to Bingham mine on April 20, 1977, repainted yellow.
h. Photograph with new chopped nose in Extra 2200 South, Issue 36, September-October 1972, page 26

Notes:

1. KCC 901 was transferred to Bingham Mine, renumbered to KCC 734 on April 20, 1977.
   

Alco RS-2 diesel-electric -- 1 locomotive (Ore Haulage)
B-B; 1500 horsepower; 229,500 pounds operating weight

Road
Number
Builder
Date
Builder
Number
Date
Renumbered
1977 KCC
Number
Notes
KCC 902 Nov 1949 77563 1977 KCC 737 1

General Notes:

a. KCC 902 had 229,500 pounds operating weight and 57,375 pounds tractive effort.
b. Short hood lowered, "chopped," by Kennecott-Utah Copper Division in July 1972.
c. Photograph with new chopped nose in Extra 2200 South, Issue 36, September-October 1972, page 26

Notes:

1. KCC 902 was transferred to Bingham Mine on January 21, 1977, renumbered to KCC 737 (Extra 2200 South, Oct-Nov0Dec 1979, page 34)
   

EMD SD7 diesel-electric -- 1 locomotive (Ore Haulage)
C-C; 16-567BC engine; 1500 horsepower; 342,880 pounds operating weight

Road
Number
Builder
Date
Builder
Number
Date
Retired
Notes
KCC 903 Dec 1952 17411 8 Apr 1988 1

General Notes:

a. Not equipped with dynamic braking.
b. KCC 903 had 342,880 pounds operating weight and 84,300 pounds tractive effort.
c. KCC 903 was built under EMD order number 6456-1.
d. Short hood lowered, "chopped," by Kennecott in April 1972.
e. (Notes on the modern lettering of KCC diesels)

Notes:

1. KCC 903 was removed from service on April 8, 1988; sold to locomotive dealer Western Railway Supply; sold to Minnesota Valley Rail Authority (MNVA), Morton, Minnesota in November 1990; seen on January 1, 1991 at Omaha, Nebraska en route to MNVA; scrapped by MNVA during 1994.
   

EMD SD24 diesel-electric -- 1 locomotive (Ore Haulage)
2400 horsepower; C-C trucks; 386,000 pounds operating weight

Road
Number
Builder
Date
Builder
Number
Date
Retired
Notes
KCC 904 Mar 1963 28170 8 Apr 1988 1

General Notes:

a. Kennecott 904 was the last EMD SD24 built, the only one built in 1963, with none having been built in 1962. Kennecott had wanted a six-axle version of the then currently available GP30.
b. Equipped with dynamic braking.
c. KCC 904 was built under EMD order number 5649-1.
d. KCC 904 had 386,000 pounds operating weight and 92,640 pounds tractive effort.
e. (Notes on the modern lettering of KCC diesels)

Notes:

1. KCC 904 was removed from service on April 8, 1988; sold to locomotive dealer Western Railway Supply (also known as Western Rail Dismantlers); sold to Minnesota Valley Rail Authority (MNVA), Morton, Minnesota in November 1990; seen on January 1, 1991 at Omaha, Nebraska en route to MNVA (photo in Locomotive Notes II, Number 176, January-February 1994, page 10); sold to Pioneer Rail Equipment (PREX) 2400 in December 1994 at the same time that MNVA was sold to Minnesota Central Railroad (MNCR); stored on ground without trucks at Bismarck, North Dakota during July 1998. (photo in Locomotive Notes II, September-October 1998, Number 204, page 9)
   

EMD GP39-2 diesel-electric -- 1 locomotive (Ore Haulage)
B-B; 2300 horsepower

Road
Number
Builder
Date
Builder
Number
Date
Received
Date
In Service
Date
Sold
Later Number Notes
KCC 905 Dec 1976 756151-1 4 Jan 1977 5 Jan 1977 2000-2005 RARW 1011 1

General Notes:

a. Equipped with dynamic braking.

Notes:

1.

Kennecott 905 was still in service as late as 1994; sold to Rarus Railway (RARW) 1011 between 2000 and 2005 (along with high-cab 709); sold by Rarus before March 2010.

(Photo as Rarus 1011 at Anaconda, Montana, on July 28, 2006)

   

EMD MP15AC diesel-electric -- 1 locomotive (Ore Haulage)
B-B; 1500 horsepower

Road
Number
Builder
Date
Builder
Number
Date
Received
Date
In Service
Date Sold
To LLPX
Later
Number
Notes
KCC 906 Dec 1976 756152-1 8 Jan 1977 18 Jan 1977 1999 LLPX 131 1

Notes:

1. KCC 906 was sold to EMD/GATX owned Locomotive Leasing Partners (LLPX) in July 1999; seen at Livingston Rebuild Center in Montana during early 1999; still there in late October 1999; seen as LLPX 131 in May 2000 at Livingston, Montana.
   

Alco RS-2 diesel-electric -- 2 locomotives (Ore Haulage)
B-B; 1500 horsepower

Road
Number
First
Number
Date To
Utah
Builder
Date
Builder
Number
Date
Retired
Notes
KCC 907 KCC-Nevada 103 Oct 1978 Nov 1949 77564 Jun 1982 1
KCC 908 KCC-Nevada 104 Oct 1978 Nov 1949 77888 1982 2

General Notes:

a. Built as Kennecott-Nevada Mines Division 103 and 104; transferred to Kennecott-Utah Copper Division in October 1978, renumbered to 907 and 908 in May 1979.
b. Used by KCC-Utah as stand-by for Utah Smelter 1, 2, and 3 prior to the delivery of new GP39-2s Smelter 1 and Smelter 2.

Notes:

1.

KCC 907 was removed from service in June 1982; donated to Pacific Southwest Railway Museum, Campo, California on July 9, 1984, delivered to La Mesa, California in November 1984, moved to Campo on February 28, 1987; repainted in early 1988 to AT&SF 2098 (a non-existant AT&SF road number) and displayed at San Diego Railfair '88 at Santa Fe’s Wright Street yard in San Diego in May 1988.

(Read more about KCC 907/AT&SF 2098 at Pacific Southwest Railway Museum)

2. KCC 908 was removed from service during 1982; donated (along with Smelter RS-3s 2 and 3, and 125-ton mine electric 778) to Feather River Rail Society, Portola, California, in November 1985; still there as of January 2012, unserviceable.
   

Alco RSD-4 diesel-electric -- 1 locomotive (Ore Haulage)
C-C; 1500 horsepower

Road
Number
First
Number
Date To
Utah
Builder
Date
Builder
Number
Date
Retired
Notes
KCC 909 KCC-Nevada 201 1978 May 1951 78217 1982 1

General Notes:

a. Built as Kennecott-Nevada Mines Division 201; used occasionally by Nevada Northern Railway as stand-by motive power for their SD7.
b. Transferred to Kennecott-Utah Copper Division in 1978, renumbered to 909; returned briefly to Nevada and used by Nevada Northern from November 2, 1979 to May 5, 1980.

Notes:

1.

KCC 909 was removed from service in 1982; donated to Puget Sound Railway Historical Society (Snoqualmie, Washington), along with 80-ton electric 724 and 50-ton dump car 212; shipped from Bingham mine on January 12, 1984; many air brake problems en route; delivered to Snoqualmie on July 11, 1984.

(Photo as KCC 201 at Snoqualmie, Washington, on August 8, 2009)

   

EMD GP39-2 diesel-electric -- 2 locomotives (Ore Haulage)
B-B; 2300 horsepower

Road
Number
First
Number
Date To
900 Series
Builder
Date
Builder
Number
Date
Sold
Later
Number
Notes
KCC 910 KCC 784 8 Nov 1983 Jan 1977 766028-6 28 Feb 2008 Twin Cities & Western (TCWR) 2300 1
KCC 911 KCC 786 18 Nov 1983 Jan 1977 766028-8 Jun 2005 Dakota & Iowa Railroad (DAIR) 2511 2

General Notes:

a. Both locomotives were transferred to Ore Haulage to replace aging SD7 903 and SD24 904, which were to be retired.
b. Equipped with extra height cabs (26 inches) for improved visibility in the Bingham open pit copper mine.
c. Equipped with dynamic braking.
d.

Both units were owned Kennecott, contrary to earlier reports that they were owned by Helm Financial and leased to Kennecott (Helm acted as Kennecott's agent for the lease of KCC 779-799 to MKT).

(Read more about KCC 779-799)

e. Number 910 was built as Bingham Utah Copper Mine 784, transferred to Ore Haulage on August 24, 1983, painted green and renumbered to 910 at Bingham Dry Fork shops on November 8, 1983, shipped to Magna shops on January 18, 1984, entered service on February 3, 1984; the locomotive was held at Dry Fork shops prior to release to service on Ore Haulage due to needed truck work.
f. Number 911 was built as Bingham Utah Copper Mine 786, transferred to Ore Haulage on August 24, 1983, painted green and renumbered to 911 at Bingham Dry Fork shops on November 18, 1983, shipped to Magna shops on November 22, 1983, entered service on December 8, 1983.
g.

Numbers 910 and 911 were rebuilt in-kind by Morrison Knudsen (Boise, Idaho) in May 1992; paint scheme changed from Ore Haulage green and yellow, to the all-yellow scheme used at the mine; air conditioning was added at the same time.

(Photo of KCC 910 and 911 still in Kennecott service on May 13, 1994)

Notes:

1.

KCC 910 was sold (along with KCC 790) to Twin Cities & Western (TCWR) 2300 on February 28, 2008, stored at Provo, Utah, at time of sale; moved in July 2008 to Mid America Car in Kansas City to have the high cab cut down to standard height; completed and delivered to TC&W on March 17, 2009. (TC&W sale date and location from Mike Bargmann via email dated January 1, 2012)

(photo as TCWR 910, with high cab) (photo as TC&W 2300)

2.

KCC 911 was sold (along with KCC 798) to National Railway Equipment in June 2005 (Extra 2200 South, issue 128, page 16); seen en route to NRE at Provo, Utah on Utah Railway on June 11, 2005, and at Denver, Colorado on June 30, 2005; seen as NREX 911 at Concord, Ontario, Canada on July 29, 2005; arrived at NRE at Dixmoor, Illinois, on August 12, 2005; sold to Dakota & Iowa Railroad (DAIR) as their 2511; locomotive was seen at NRE Dixmoor in mid October 2006, having its cab lowered, completed by November 25, 2006; painted as DAIR 2511 by WSOR at Horicon, Wisconsin. (2006 information from Ken Lanovich, emails to LocoNotes discussion group, dated October 18, 2006 and December 10, 2006)

(Photo of KCC 798 and 911 at Provo on June 18, 2005)

(Photos of KCC 798 and 911 at Denver on June 30, 2005, on Trainorders.com)

(Photo of KCC 798 and 911 at Concord, Ontario, on July 29, 2005)

(Photo as DAIR 2511 at Hawarden, Iowa, on September 25, 2007)

(Photo of DAIR 2510 (ex KCC 798) and 2511 at Sioux City, Iowa, on September 1, 2013)

   

EMD SW1500 diesel-electric -- 3 locomotives (Ore Haulage)
B-B; 1500 horsepower

Road
Number
First
Number
Second
Number
Date To
KCC 912 Series
Builder
Date
Builder
Number
Later
Number
Notes
KCC 912 CRI&P 943 KCC 714 Jan 1987 Jul 1966 31748 HLCX 1515 1
KCC 913 CRI&P 948 KCC 716 Apr 1987 Jul 1966 31753 HLCX 1517 2
KCC 914 CRI&P 949 KCC 717 Apr 1987 Jul 1966 31754 HLCX 1518 3

General Notes:

a.

KMC 912-914 were built as Chicago, Rock Island & Pacific 943, 948 and 949; returned to owner, United States Leasing, upon Rock Island's shutdown in March 1980; stored at CRI&P's Silvis shops until moved to Morrison Knudsen for refurbishment; refurbished in December 1982 and sold (leased?) to Kennecott.

(Read more about the KCC 714, 716, and 717)

b. KCC 714, 716, and 717 were removed from Bingham mine service on January 4, 1984; transferred to Garfield smelter service and renumbered to 900-series in January and April 1987.
b.

The three 900-series SW1500s were used as switchers in the Garfield smelter complex.

Notes:

1.

KCC 912 was sold to Helm Financial in April 1998; used in national lease service as HLCX 1515.

(Photo as HLCX 1515 in 2005, note the extra clearance fuel tank)

2. KCC 913 was sold to Helm Financial in April 1998; used in national lease service as HLCX 1517.
3. KCC 914 was briefly seen renumbered back to KMC 717 in late 1990; sold to Helm Financial in April 1998; used in national lease service as HLCX 1518.
   

EMD MP15AC diesel-electric -- 1 locomotive (Ore Haulage)
B-B; 1500 horsepower

Road
Number
Previous
Number
Date
Renumbered
Builder
Date
Builder
Number
Notes
KCC 915 KCC 701 Oct 1986 Dec 1978 776117-1 1

General Notes:

a.

KCC 915 was built as KCC 701; renumbered to KCC 915 in October 1986

(Read more about KCC 701)

Notes:

1.

KCC 915 (ex KCC 701) was sold to Helm Financial in January 1997; leased to Union Pacific as UP 1430 on June 18, 1997; renumbered to UPY 1430 in October 2001; returned to Helm in March 2002.

(Read more about UP 1430)

(Read more about UPY 1430)

Donation To NHRS-Promontory Chapter

On May 10, 1983, Kennecott donated three electric locomotives, and seven diesel locomotives, along with other pieces of rail equipment to the Promontory Chapter of National Railway Historical Society in Salt Lake City, Utah. The equipment donated included:

Electrics 759 and 761, and six of the seven diesels (KCC 729, 731, 734, 742, 776, 777) were sold in January 1984 to Industrial Salvage & Metals (Salt Lake City, Utah), in trade for Utah Railway RSD-4 number 306 and RSD-15 401; all eight locomotives were scrapped during January and February 1984.

Diesel 775 was offered for sale, but not sold, scrapped in July 2010.

Electric 402 was traded to Oquirrh Mountain Mining Museum in November 1998, and is displayed at the Deseret Peak Complex (motor sports center) near Grantsville, Utah.

###