Union Pacific Cabooses
[Most recent entry listed first.]
August 13, 2017
Changed the CA-13 roster listing of former Rock Island (CRI&P) steel bay window cabooses, to show that CRI&P 17093 was renumbered to UP 24511 in April 1980. CRI&P 17093 was previously reported in railfan reports in the 1980 time period as not having been returned to UP, but UP's Equipment Record ledger book shows a renumber date of April 1980. A color slide of UP 24511 was recently sold on eBay, dated April 1986. (Thanks to Brian Ehni for sending a link to the photo on eBay via email dated August 12, 2017)
March 27, 2011
LA&SL 3117 was built in 1905 for the San Pedro, Los Angeles & Salt Lake Railroad by Barney & Smith as part of a group of 25 cabooses originally numbered as SPLA&SL 230-254. They were renumbered to LA&SL 4230-4254 after 1921 when UP acquired full control of LA&SL. More cabooses were needed with the completion of the SPLA&SL in 1905, and SPLA&SL 230-254 were built by Barney & Smith in April 1905. These 25 cars were purchased through the Union Pacific Equipment Association and were similar, if not identical, to the Harriman Associated Lines Common Standard CA-class first officially completed by SP in 1906.
SMV 170 is likely the last example of a Harriman CA-class wooden caboose.
Added a list of caboose builders.
December 18, 2009
Updated the information for UP 906250 (ex UP 25281), sold in 2004 and moved to private property near Corning, California. (Email from Jordan Allred dated December 18, 2009)
November 14, 2009
Updated the information for UP 25513, now owned by Jason Elm and located on his property in Genoa, Nebraska. (Email from Jason Elm dated November 13, 2009)
November 7, 2009
Updated the information for UP 25463, as Fairmont Tamper (FTSX) 812. (Thanks to Norm Metcalf for the update)
February 9, 2009
Corrected the entry for wooden caboose 25722, changing its current status from "burned" at Fife, Washington, to being restored. It never was burned, but was merely being dismantled for restoration. Sorry for the error. (Thanks to David Cantlin at the City of Fife Parks Department for the update.)