UtahRails.net UtahRails.net

(This page printed from UtahRails.net, Copyright 2000-2014 Don Strack)

UtahRails Industrial Locomotive Rosters

Index For This Page

This page was last updated on April 7, 2014.

(Return to UtahRails Industries page)

(This is a work in progress; research continues.)

(Companies listed alphabetically.)

Ash Grove Cement

Leamington, Utah

(Located at a station known as Mart-Mar, on Union Pacific's Provo Subdivision, 26 miles northeast of Delta, and 64 miles southwest of Provo)

Road
Number
Previous
Number
Builder/
Model
Builder
Number
Builder
Date
Date To
Leamington
Date
Retired
(?) SLG&W D.S. 3 GE 45 ton 27597 May 1944 1980-1981 before Jun 1992
P-10 (?) GE 45 ton 30481 Nov 1949 before Jun 1992 2006

General Notes:

a. The Leamington cement plant was built in 1980 by Martin-Marietta to furnish cement to the Intermountain Power Project in nearby Delta, which started formal construction in September 1981.
b. Martin-Marietta leased the entire plant to Southwestern Portland Cement Company in April 1984, then sold the plant to Ash Grove Cement Company in May 1989.
c. The first locomotive at the Leamington cement plant was the formar Salt Lake Garfield & Western D.S. 3, a GE 45-ton center-cab switching locomotive, "drop-cab" style with side rods. It was built in 1944 as U.S. Army Transportation Corps number 8519, delivered to Hawkins Point, Md.; used in France during World War II; rebuilt at Fort Hollibird, Maryland, later used at Fort Sill, Oklahoma, by September 1, 1960; stored at Defense Depot Ogden and Hill Air Force Base until sold as surplus to Houston Truck & Equipment Co. (dealer); sold to SLG&W on August 15, 1972; painted red with white stripes; sold to a dealer in July 1979; sold to Virginia Central at Fredricksburg, Virginia; sold to Pittsburgh, Allegheny & McKees Rocks Railroad at McKees Rocks, Pennsylvania; sold to S&W Construction of Provo, Utah, used during the construction of the Leamington cement plant; sold to Martin Marietta by March 1982.
d. The second locomotive at the Leamington cement plant was there by June 1992; it was a GE 45 ton locomotive that was unique with its radial couplers to allow operation over very tight radius trackage; later numbered as P-10; removed from service in about 2003 (replaced by a TrackMobile); sold to nevada Northern railroad museum in Ely, Nevada, seen at Ely in February 2007.
 

Broken Arrow

Clive and Flux, Utah

Broken Arrow provided switching service to the hazardous waste facility at Clive, Utah.

Road
Number
Builder
Model
Builder Previous
Number
Builder
Number
Builder
Date
Date To
Broken Arrow
(242) RS4TC BLH U. S. Army      
(243) RS4TC BLH U. S. Army      
(Utah 401) RSD-15 Alco Utah Ry. 83482 Jul 1959  

General Notes:

a. 242 may be ex U. S. Army 4023. (click here for additional RS4TC information)
b. Broken Arrow leased (owned?) ex Utah Railway RSD-15 401 until it was donated to Ogden Union Station museum.
 

Cargill Flour

Ogden, Utah

Road
Number
Builder
Model
Builder
Number
Builder
Date
Date To
Cargill
Date
Retired
Cargill 6751 EMD SW1 1111 Sep 1940 Aug 1993 Apr 2011

General Notes:

a. Cargill no. 6751 was built as B&O no. 213, to B&O no. 8413 (RailPictures.net photo); to Arco Petroleum no. 8413, at Carson, California, renumbered to Arco Petroleum no. 6971 (same location) (RailPictures.net photo, March 1987); to GATX no. 6971 at Colton, California, lease expired and unit stored at GATX facility until sold via Western Railway Supply (dealer) to Cargill, moved to Ogden in mid August 1993, repainted and lettered as Cargill no. 6751 (RailPictureArchives.net 1996 photo; 2008 photo)
b. Replaced by a Trackmobile; donated in April 2011 to Utah State Railroad Museum at Ogden Union Station; moved on May 21, 2011. (YouTube video of move)
c. Sources: Locomotive Notes II, Number 175, December 1993, page 13, reported by Bill Farmer and Don Bain; Norm Metcalf and Don Bain via email on February 21, 2007; builder data from Randy Keller.
 

Chevron USA, Inc.

North Salt Lake, Utah

Contract switching done by Railserve, Inc. (RSSX)

Road
Number
Builder
Model
Previous
Number
Builder
Number
Builder
Date
Date
Rebuilt
Frame
Number
Notes
RSSX 436 GP10 IAIS 436 18833 Jun 1954 1969 5307-37 1
RSSX 7983 GP8 CCP 7983 16962 Dec 1952 1972 5164-1 2

General Notes:

a. Both locomotives arrived at Chevron in Salt Lake City in about September 2004; RSSX 7983 came from Chevron's location in El Segundo, California.
b. Click here for more information about the Chevron refinery.
c. Click here for a Google photo of the two units awaiting their next movement.
d. (RSSX information from John Friedmann, email dated February 6, 2012.)

Notes:

1. Railserve 436 was built in 1954 as Illinois Central GP9 no. 9036; rebuilt to GP10 in November 1969, numbered as Illinois Central Gulf 8036; to Illinois Central 8036; to Iowa Interstate (IAIS) in October 1984, numbered as IAIS 436; sold to Diesel Supply Co. (DSC) in 1995, numbered as DSC 436; sold to Railserve 436 (history not complete)
2. Railserve 7983 was built in 1952 as Detroit Toledo & Ironton GP7 no. 955; sold to Illinois Central in December 1972 and rebuilt to GP8, numbered as Illinois Central Gulf 7983; to Chicago Central and Pacific 7983; to Railserve 7983 (history not complete)
 

Chicago Bridge & Iron Co.

Salt Lake City, Utah

Road
Number
Builder
Model
Builder
Number
Builder
Date
Date
Retired
Notes
CB&I 180 Vulcan 20 ton 4353 Feb 1942   1

General Notes:

a. Built as Quartermaster Corps 2082, assigned to March Field, Calif., renumbered to U. S. Army Transportation Corps 7713; sold to Mississippi Valley Equipment Co. (dealer), located in St. Louis, Mo.; sold in 1949 to Chicago Bridge & Iron Co. in Salt Lake City, numbered as CB&I 180; still in Utah by June 1982; by May 1995, this unit was sitting in an open field near Salem, N. J., near a paving company. (Locomotive Notes II, Number 187, October 1995, page 14)
b. Originally equipped with a six-cylinder, 175 horsepower LeRoi engine; re-engined by CB&I in 1951 with a Cummins six-cylinder, 200 horsepower engine.
c. Information from the cast plate mounted on the locomotive

Corps of Engineers
U. S. Army
20 Ton Locomotive
Gasoline-Mechanical
C. of E. Spec. T-1343
C. of E. No. GM-2082 P.O. 53554
Manufactured by Vulcan iron Works
No. 4353 Feb. 1942
 

Circle 4 Farms

Milford, Utah

Road
Number
Builder
Model
Previous
Number
Frame
Number
Rebuild
Date
Date To
Circle Four
Notes
DLSX 1200 EMD/UP SW10 UP 1200 4216-2 Aug 1979 April 2000  

General Notes:

a. Circle 4 Farms 1200 was built as UP SW9 1848, rebuilt by UP to SW10 1848 in August 1979, renumbered to UP 1200 in March 1980; retired by UP in December 1997; sold in April 1999 to Boise Locomotive; sold in July 1999 to Diesel Supply, Hudson, Wis.; moved on 13 July 1999 to Columbia Basin Railroad at Yakima, Wash., for repairs and repainting; moved from Yakima to Delta, Utah, as DLSX 1200 during early April 2000; leased to Circle 4 Farms, Milford, Utah, where it replaced a wrecked TrackMobile; lettered as "Hog Express".
b. Circle 4 Farms 1200 is used on a spur in Milford to switch rail cars of hog feed, which is then moved by truck to the large hog growing facilities about 10 miles south of Milford; seen in service at Milford in October 2006. (information from Norm Metcalf via email on February 19, 2007)
 

David J. Joseph Co.
Western Metals Recycling LLC

Plymouth, Utah

Located adjacent to Nucor Steel at Plymouth.

Road
Number
Builder
Model
Previous
Number
Builder
Number
Builder
Date
Date To
Utah Location
JTPX 1204 EMD SW9 LT 1204 20089 Dec 1954 Dec 2001

General Notes:

a. JTPX 1204 is a green remote-controlled locomotive.(photo)
b. Built in December 1954 as Florida East Coast 230; to Newburg & South Shore 1201; to Union Railroad 586; to Lake Terminal 1204; to David J. Joseph Co. as Joseph Transportation Co. (JTPX) 1204, leased to Western Metal Recycling in December 2001 (JTPX purchased by Relco in June 2004).
 

Department of Energy (Fluor-Daniel-Fernald) (OHFX)

Brendel (Crescent Junction), Moab and Potash, Utah

In April 2007, two Department of Energy RS4TC locomotives were moved from DOE's site in Fernald, Ohio, to Moab, Utah for use during the movement of tailings from the site of the DOE site at Moab. They were never used and were stored at the far south (west) end of UP's Potash Spur (ex D&RGW Cane Creek Branch). In late 2011 they were trucked north to the DOE tailings disposal site at Brendel (Crescent Junction) for possible sale, or disposal by burial at the site. The two locomotives were sold to Rocky Mountain Rail Car at Tooele, Utah, in August 2012.

(see Rocky Mountain Rail Car, below)

East Carbon Development Company

East Carbon City, Utah

Opened in 1989 by a group of private investors; in September 1991, ECDC entered into a contract with Provo, in Utah County, to accept 80,000 tons per year of municipal waste; operations began in August 1992; in December 1996, ECDC completed construction of a rail transfer station for Ogden, Utah in Weber County, and began shipping 120,000 tons per year of municipal waste under a 20-year agreement; ECDC was sold in 1993 to USPCI; then sold to Laidlaw by November 1998.

The location is ideally located in the high desert, with low evaporation and low humidity. The facility itself is located on top of a 1,500 feet thick bedrock of shale, and not near any sources of ground water. The company serves to dispose of contaminated dirt in an approved and certified land fill located near East Carbon City, Utah, on the former D&RGW Sunnyside Branch. One of the earliest customers was from Burbank, Calif. Other customers in 1994 included earthquake rubble from Los Angeles, and in 1995, New York sent 180,000 tons of sediment from Staten Island.

Road
Number
Builder
Model
Frame
Number
Builder
Number
Builder
Date
Date To
ECDC
Notes
ECCX 1110 EMD SW1200 7634-11       1
ECCX 4355 EMD SD9 5435-11 21299 Mar 1956 bef Sep 1996  
ECCX 4431 EMD SD9 5365-20 19947 Mar 1955 bef Sep 1996  
ECCX 9628 EMD MP15 74641-8 74641-8 Dec 1974 bef Sep 1996  

General Notes:

a. ECDC reporting mark is ECXX.
b. ECDC locomotives were leased from Nevada Industrial Switching (NIS), a subsidiary of Mid-Am Equipment. NIS was reportedly sold to David J. Joseph Co. as Joseph Transportation Co. (JTPX) in September 1999; JPTX was sold to Relco Finance in June 2004, meaning that as of 2007, the ECDC locomotives are likely being leased from Relco.
c. ECDC 1110 built as Missouri Pacific Railroad 1110; sold to Precision National (dealer) in 1985; sold to Wilson Railway Corp. (dealer) in 1986; to U. S. Steel Lorain Works ; returned to Wilson and stored on Wisconsin Central; sold to Independent Locomotive Services (dealer); to ECDC 1110 (Locomotive Notes II, Number 175, December 1993, page 13)
d. ECDC 4355 was built as SP 5474, to SP 3948, to SP 4355; to Relco, leased to ECXX 4355
e. ECDC 4431 was built as SP 5406, to SP 3884, to SP 4431; to Relco, leased to ECXX 4431.
f. ECDC 9628 was built as Reading 2778, to CR 9628; to Arizona & California (ARZC) 9628; to ECXX 9628; still in CR blue paint and lettered for ARZC in September 1996.

Notes:

1. ECDC 1110 was moved (sold?) as CCGX 1110 to Sarnia, Ontario; seen en route on 5 February 1998 at North Platte, Neb.; CCGX is Cando Contracting Ltd., owned by Lambton Diesel of Hamilton, Ontario; moved to Magna Frame, St. Thomas, Ont. (Locomotive Notes II, Number 202, May-June 1998, page 14, reported by Mike Pohlman; additional information from The Mixed Train; Locomotive Notes II, Number 203, July-August 1998, page 24, from Tempo, Jr.)
 

Envirocare Utah, Inc.

Clive, Utah

Envirocare’s Containerized Waste Facility is the first commercial low-level radioactive waste disposal facility in the nation to be licensed in the 21st century and the first new site to be opened and operated since the late 1970’s.

The facility is located in Section 32 of Township 1 South and Range 11 West, Tooele County, Utah, at Clive, a railroad station on Union Pacific's former Western Pacific mainline between Salt Lake City and Nevada. This area has been designated by Tooele County as a Hazardous Industrial Zone, and is home to two hazardous waste incinerators (one active, one being decommissioned) and a hazardous waste landfill in addition to Envirocare’s operation. The Hazardous Industrial Zone is a 100-square mile area specifically zoned for hazardous waste operations away from populated cities and residential areas. The design and operation of the Clive commercial containerized low-level radioactive waste disposal facility meets or exceeds all requirements for waste form, packaging,and disposal operations.

The Clive, Utah site initially accepted uranium mill tailings-derived waste from the former Vitro Chemical Company site in south Salt Lake City, Utah. This cleanup was conducted by the State of Utah and DOE under the Uranium Mill Tailings Remedial Action Project in 1988. After completion of the cleanup, 540 acres of the 640-acre site remained unused. The remaining area was then purchased by the owner of Envirocare of Utah. The facility has expanded in size and capabilities over the years, with Envirocare receiving a new license in June 2001 to dispose of classes A, B and C low level radioactive wastes.

(Google Maps link)

Road
Number
Builder
Model
Builder
Number
Builder
Date
(?) NW2    

General Notes:

a. (research continues)
 

Flying J, Inc.
Big West Oil

North Salt Lake City, Utah

Flying J Oil, Inc., purchased the oil refinerey in North Salt Lake in 1985. The refinery was built in 1949 by the Western States Refining Company. By 1963 the refinery was owned by Frontier Refining Company, which operated the refinery as the Beeline Refinery. The refinery was sold to Frontier Oil Company, and in about 1965, Frontier Oil sold the refinery to Husky Oil, which sold it to Flying J in 1985. (click here for more information about Flying J and the refinery)

Road
Number
Builder
Model
Previous
Number
Builder
Number
Builder
Date
Frame
Number
Date To
Flying J
FLJX 1 SW600 APSX 1 26932 Jan 1962 4449-1 Feb 1993

General Notes:

a. FLJX 1 is the first locomotive known to be assigned to this location; previously in-plant switching was provided, until 1993, by D&RGW. (photo at RailroadPictures.net)
b. FLJX is the reporting mark for Flying J, Inc.
c. Flying J personnel "test drove" the unit at the Fruita refinery and leased it for use at their North Salt Lake location. (information from Norm Metcalf via email on February 19, 2007)
d. FLJX 1 was built in January 1962 as Arizona Public Service Company (APSX) number 1, assigned to Cholla, Az.; sold to National Railway Equipment (NREX); leased to Gary-Williams Energy's Landmark Refining Co., for use at their oil refinery near Fruita, Colo. (the former American Gilsonite refinery), refinery closed in late 1992 or early 1993; leased to Flying J and moved in February 1993 for maintenance to Relco shop at Geneva Steel; later sold to Flying J; refinery (and locomotive) sold to Big West Oil, a subsidiary of Flying J.
e. Source: Locomotive Notes II, Number 171, June 1993, page 14, reported by Don Strack and Bill Farmer
f. Source: Locomotive Notes II, Number 176, January-February 1994, page 9, reported by Don Bain
 

Intermountain Power Agency

(click here for more information about the locomotive used by the Intermountain Power Agency at its rail car facility in Springville.)

Kennecott Copper Corporation

(click here for more information about the locomotives used by kennecott Copper, and its predecessor, Utah Copper Company)

MagCorp

Magnesium Corporation at Rowley, Utah, has leased several locomotives to switch its rail cars. (research continues...)

Morton Salt Co.

Saltair, Utah

Road
Number
Builder
Model
Builder
Number
Builder
Date
(no number) Brookville BCUT 4211 Jul 1956

General Notes:

a. Four-wheel diesel-torque converter
b. Information from Allen Copeland, October 1982. (see also Extra 2200 South, Issue 33, March-April 1972, page 17)
 

Nucor Steel

Plymouth, Utah

Road
Number
Builder
Model
Builder
Date
Builder
Number
Previous
Number
Date To
Nucor
Date
Scrapped
Notes
341 BLW DS-4-4-10 Mar 1948 BLW 73575 P&BR 341   Bef 1992 1
1000 BLW S-12?   BLW     Bef 1992 2
660 EMD GP30 Sep 1962 EMD 27581 UP 872 ca. Dec 1990   3
664 (1st) EMD GP7 Sep 1951 EMD 13177 BN 1564 ca. Sep 1990   4
664 (2nd) GE B23-7 Mar 1979 GE 42305 Conrail 1967 23 May 2006   5

General Notes:

a. The GP30 and the GP7 were purchased from David Durbano of Durbano Metals in Ogden as scrap metal their furnaces, but the GP30 and GP7 were found to be in better shape than the two Baldwin units then in service; the GP30 and GP7 replaced the two Baldwins, which were cut up for scrap. (information from Norm Metcalf via email on February 20, 2007)
b. At the time of Norm Metcalf's visit in March 1992, the GP30 had "Nucor Steel" lettering on long hood, the number 660 and "Corrienti's Cruiser" on the cab side, and no frame number; the GP7 was still in BN green and had a visible frame number, with Nucor Steel lettering on the long hood. (information from Norm Metcalf via email on February 20, 2007)

Notes:

1. Nucor Steel 341 was built as P&BR 341; sold to Striegel Supply and Equipment (dealer) circa October 1979; sold to Nucor Steel, Plymouth, Utah; out of service at Nucor by September 1989.
2. Nucor Steel 1000 was out of service by September 1989.
3. Nucor Steel 660 was built as Union Pacific 872; retired by UP in May 1985; sold to Durbano, Ogden, Utah, in October 1985; sold to Nucor Steel, Plymouth, Utah; in service as Nucor Steel 660, Plymouth, Utah. (photo in Locomotive Notes II, Number 141, December 1990, page 10) (photo)
4. Nucor Steel 664 has a chopped nose; frame number 5072-9; built as CB&Q 208; to BN 1564; to Iowa Railroad via Dakota Rail Car; to UP as part of Iowa Railroad settlement; to Durbano Metals, Ogden, Utah; to Nucor (photo in Locomotive Notes II, Number 138, September 1990, page 9) (photo)
5. Nucor Steel 664 (2nd) built as Conrail 1967; sold to National Railway Equipment Co. (dealer) circa July 1999; sold to Nucor Steel, Plymouth, Utah on 23 May 2006. (information from Randy Keller, September 15, 2008; and Bob Lehmuth via email on November 2, 2009)
 

Ogden Union Station

(click here for more information about the locomotives preserved at the Utah State Railroad Museum at Ogden Union Station.)

Pacific States Cast Iron Pipe Co.

Ironton (Springville), Utah

Road
Number
Builder
Model
Previous
Number
Builder
Number
Builder
Date
Frame
Number
(no number) EMD NW2 UP 1043 3429 Jul 1946 E683-8

General Notes:

a. (research continues)

Rocky Mountain Railcar Repair

Tooele, Utah

(Rocky Mountain Railcar web site)

From April 2007 to late 2011, located at Potash (the potash plant west of Moab on the Colorado River), at the west end of UP's former D&RGW Cane Creek Branch. Moved to Potash in April 2007 from the Department of Energy site at Fernald, Ohio. Planned use was as part of the rail movement of the Moab mill tailings. (click here for more information about moving the Moab mill tailings)

The facility manager at Moab reported that the two units were moved by truck in late 2011 from Potash to temporary storage at the Moab tailings disposal site at Brendel.

Sold in August 2012 to Rocky Mountain Railcar Repair (RMRR) and moved by truck during November 2012 to their facility at Tooele, Utah, on the former Tooele Army Depot.

Road
Number
Name Builder
Model
Builder Previous
Number
Builder
Number
Builder
Date
Date To
RMRR
OHFX 1250 "Cap’n Jack" RS4TC BLH U. S. Army 1250 Whitcomb 61205 Oct 1953 Aug 2012
OHFX 1258 "Susan B" RS4TC BLH U. S. Army 1258 Whitcomb 61213 Oct 1953 Aug 2012

General Notes:

  1. Model is RS4-TC-A1
  2. These two units arrived in Utah in April 2007; they were still there in May 2012; by July 2012 they had been moved to Brendel (near Crescent Junction), Utah.
  3. U. S. Army 1258 was built in October 1953; assigned to New Cumberland Army Depot, Pennsylvania; assigned to Ft. Eustis, Virginia by September 1971; rebuilt at Tooele Army Depot rail shop on Hill AFB, July 1973; still stored at Hill AFB by June 1975; in transit at Omaha, Nebraska in April 1980; returned to Hill AFB by April 1981; assigned to Ft. Eustis, Virginia from 1985-1988; seen in transit at Raceland, Kentucky, in August 1991; displayed at Ogden Union Station May 1994, painted in fresh red USA paint; sold (?) to Fluor Daniel Fernald (OHFX) by April 1999, used in cleanup of former DoE Fernald uranium refinery near Cincinatti, Ohio (known as Fernald Environmental Management Project), site closure completed in October 2006; OHFX 1258 was seen in transit at Kansas City, Missouri in April 2007, going to Moab, Utah, named "Susan B" with additional lettering: "Fernald Environmental Management Project." (Locomotive Notes II, Issue 250, page 20)
  4. As of late August 2012, both locomotives were reported as being sold to Rocky Mountain Railcar at Tooele, Utah.
  5. OHFX 1250 photos at RR Pictures Archive (including photos at Rocky Mountain Railcar in November 2012 and March 2013)
  6. OHFX 1258 photos at RR Pictures Archive (including photos at Rocky Mountain Railcar in November 2012 and March 2013)
  7. (click here for additional RS4TC information)

 

Spring Canyon Coal Co.

Storrs, Utah

Road
Number
Wheel
Arrangement
Builder Builder
Number
Builder
Date
Date
Retired
Spring Canyon Coal no. 1 2-8-0 Baldwin 38837 1912  

General Notes:

a. Delivered new to Spring Canyon Coal Company; sold to D&RGW, numbered as 958, renumbered to 915, scrapped in January 1937 (D&RGW class C-39). (from Colorado Railroad Museum roster, page 45)
 

Tesoro

Salt Lake City, Utah

Road
Number
Previous
Number
Builder
Model
Builder
Number
Builder
Date
Date To
Tesoro
Notes
LTEX 1125 GS 1125 EMD SW1200 27893 Feb 1963 Jun 2007 1
RLIX 1005 GVSR 301 EMD SW1001 756080-1 Oct 1975 Jun 2008 2

General Notes:

a. Amoco's refinery was switched by UP until the UP-SP merger in 1996. Utah Railway then took over the interchange and in-plant switching as part of BNSF's access to Utah markets as competition to UP; Utah Railway was (and still is) BNSF's contract service provider in Utah. With Tesoro's purchase of the Amoco refinery in 2001, Utah Railway continued to provide access and in-plant switching (job RUT312) until the completion of UTA's FrontRunner North communter rail, which cut the connection and access at 1700 North in July 2007; interchange access to Tesoro is now by way of a connection between UP and UTA at 1700 North.
b. (click here for some history of Tesoro's Salt Lake City refinery)

Notes:

1. LTEX 1125 was ex Geneva Steel (GS) 1125; used at Geneva Steel from November 1986 to June 2007 when it was sold to Larrys Truck Electric (LTEX) and moved for lease to Tesoro's facility; not used by Tesoro, with Utah Railway still doing the in-plant switching; moved from Tesoro to UP's North Yard in Salt Lake City in mid August 2008; moved to LTE at MacDonald, Ohio, late August 2008. (photo at Tesoro)
2. Rail Link (RLIX) 1005 arrived at Tesoro's facility in late June 2008.

"Rail Link just got the contract to switch out Tesoro Oil Refinery here in Salt Lake. Utah Railway was doing the switching but lost the contract when Tesoro wanted to do their own in plant switching. At present at the Tesoro plant is a LTEX SW there but has not been used. The information I have is from the Utah Railway and was told that Tesoro and Rail Link were waiting on the two new units to come in and that they were being painted." (Ryan Ballard, January 10, 2008)

Galveston Railroad (GVSR) SW1001 301 was repainted and renumbered to Rail Link (RLIX 1005) in early May 2008; moved to Denver then to Salt Lake City during early June 2008, passing through Monument, Colo. on June 5, 2008. Galveston Railroad was purchased by Rail Link's parent company Genessee & Wyoming in June 2005. (photo of GVSR 301 at RR Pictures Archives)
 

Twin Mountain Rock/Rinker Materials

Murdock (near Milford), Utah (about 6 miles northwest of Milford, 11 miles by rail)

A gravel pit near Milford that furnished ballast for UP, via a long conveyor from the pit down to a UP spur, with a locomotive being used as a facility switcher. (information from Roger Beckett, March 2006)

On a visit in October 2006, Norm Metcalf found that the locomotive was still marked for KMGX 57-602, SD9, frame number 5381-6. On the long hood, "Twin Mountain Rock" spelled out on the hood side, with "A Kiewit Co." located below. The locomotive had a sticker from April 1998 when Omnitrax rehabilited the locomotive for Kiewit.

The KMGX reporting mark was originally assigned to Kiewit Mining Group, which was split off in 2000 as Kiewit Mining Company, then sold to Rinker Materials in 2002. The reporting mark is now assigned to Twin Mountain Rock Co., as a subsidiary of Rinker Materials.

The quarry at Milford, known as Twin Mountain Rock, was first operated starting in 1998 by Peter Kiewit & Sons, which spun off its quarry business as Kiewit Materials, which in-turn was sold to Rinker Materials in September 2002.

Rinker Materials, one of the largest suppliers of crushed stone and concrete products in the U.S., with several quarries nationwide, some of which also use the Twin Mountain Rock name. In July 2007, Rinker materials was sold to Cemex. (click here for more information) (click here for a satellite view at Bing.com that shows the locomotive sitting at the end of the spur.)

Locomotive was offered for sale during January 2013 by Ozark Mountain Railcar (link).

Road
Number
Builder
Model
Builder
Date
Builder
Number
Frame
Number
Date To
Utah Location
Date
Sold
602 SD9 Jan 1955 20228 5381-6 1998 Feb 2014

General Notes:

a. Twin Mountain Rock number 602, painted blue and white, with white number 602 on cab side; sublettered as 57-602.
b. Built as SP 5377, to SP 3855, to SP 4331; to OmniTrax, to California Northern 203, returned to OmniTrax Leasing (OMLX) as 203, leased to Kiewit Mining Group (KMGX) in April 1998. (information from Ken Ardinger and Norm Metcalf).
c. Road number changed from 57-602, to SLC602, after purchase in May 2012 by Rail World Locomotive Leasing, an affiliate of Rail World, Inc., which also owns the San Luis Central (SLC) in Colorado. The locomotive remained unused and unserviceable at the Twin Mountain quarry during this time. (2012 photo)
d. Sold in February 2013 and moved to new owner's location during late February and early March 2014; seen at Wallula, Washington on March 3, 2014 (photo1) (photo2)
 

U. S. Steel Geneva Works

(click here for more information about the locomotives used by U. S. Steel at its Ironton Iron Plant, south of Provo.)

U. S. Steel Columbia Ironton Works

(click here for more information about the locomotives used by U. S. Steel at its Geneva Steel Plant, near Provo.)

U. S. Steel Wellington Coal Wash Plant

(click here for more information about the locomotives used by U. S. Steel at its Wellington Coal Wash Plant, east of Price.)

Utah Copper Company

(click here for a roster listing of the electric locomotives used by Utah Copper Company)

(click here for a roster listing of the steam locomotives used by Utah Copper Company, including Bingham & Garfield locomotives)

Utah Pomroy Morrison

Geneva, Utah

Road
Number
Builder
Model
Builder
Date
Builder
Number
Date
Retired
Notes
1 GE 43 ton Jan 1940 12574    
2 GE 43 ton Mar 1940 12576    
3 GE 43 ton Mar 1940 12577    

General Notes:

a. Delivered to Provo, Utah; to Consolidated Western Steel Corp., Geneva, Utah (Locomotive Notes II, Number 107, February 1988
 

Utah Power & Light Co.

UP&L Hale Plant (Provo, Utah)

Road
Number
Builder
Model
Builder
Number
Builder
Date
Date To
UP&L
Date
Retired
Notes
? Plymouth 20 Ton 4161 May 1941 Mar 1958 Jun 1977 1

Notes:

1. Built by Fate-Root-Heath (Plymouth) as U. S. Army 7694 (initial assignment to Salt Lake City Air Base), Plymouth model ML-6, Type 3 (four-wheel, diesel-mechanical); to SLG&W number G-4; to Utah Power & Light (no number) in March 1958, used to switch coal cars at Hale plant at mouth of Provo Canyon; transferred to Gadsby Plant in Salt Lake City in 1973; retired from Gadsby Plant in June 1977; sold in September 1977 to Southern San Luis Valley, Blanca, Colo., out of service by 1980, with missing engine. (information from Norm Metcalf, Bob Lehmuth, and Ken Ardinger)
   

UP&L Carbon Plant (Castle Gate, Utah)

Road
Number
Builder
Model
Builder
Number
Builder
Date
Date To
UP&L
Date
Retired
Notes
(no number) GE 44 Ton 15128   Aug 1954 Jan 1976 1
(no number) GE 65 Ton   1942   Oct 1977 2
5923 EMD GP9     Apr 1977   3

General Notes:

a. This information is from Utah Power & Light property accounting department on September 23, 1982.
b. Utah Power & Light leased SLG&W D.S. 3 for in-plant switching at Gadsby from January to December 1978.

Notes:

1. Purchased second hand from Denver & Rio Grande Western in August 1954; for sale in July 1975; retired in January 1976; sold to Chrome Crankshaft of Illinois.
2. Purchased from Utah Metal Works, Inc., (located at Hill AFB, Utah at time of purchase); sold to Chrome Crankshaft of Illinois.
3. Purchased second hand from Denver & Rio Grande Western in April 1977.

***

Creative Commons License Valid XHTML 1.0 Strict Valid CSS!