UtahRails.net

(This page printed from UtahRails.net, Copyright 2000-2018 Don Strack)

Meat Packing Industry in Salt Lake City

Index For This Page

This page was last updated on June 25, 2018.

(Return to Industries Index Page)

Overview

 

Timeline

1888-1890
There was talk about the need for a union stock yards and packing house in Salt Lake City, and the benefits in jobs and general economic growth that such an enterprise would bring as early as April and September 1888, with booster talk by the Chamber of Commerce in 1890. (Salt Lake Tribune, April 13, 1888; Salt Lake Herald, September 16, 1888; Salt Lake Herald, April 3, 1890)

September 28, 1890
John White of White & Sons showed plans for a new packing house to be built in Salt Lake City, pending the final location of the new Union Stock Yards of Salt Lake City. (Salt Lake Herald, September 28, 1890)

June 1, 1904
Utah Packing Company filed articles of incorporation "yesterday," to take over the previous Knight & Company, which itself had started business in about 1899. (Salt Lake Tribune, June 2, 1904)

The location of Knight & Co., and the later Utah Packing Company before the move to the Salt Lake Union Stock Yards, was in downtown Salt Lake City on 1st South, between 2nd and 3rd West. The site was sold in April 1906. (Salt Lake Tribune, April 14, 1906) (The Oregon Short Line to Provo was along 3rd West, known as 400 West today)

November 18, 1904
Utah Packing Company had started operations at the Salt Lake Union Stock Yards, where it would soon erect a building valued at $100,000. (Davis County Clipper, November 18, 1904, citing Deseret News, November 16, 1904)

December 30, 1904
Utah Packing company at the Salt Lake Union Stock Yards was shipping a carload of dressed meat to Salt Lake City daily. (Davis County Clipper, December 30, 1904)

February 10, 1906
The Utah Packing Company was reorganized to provide financing for its new packing plant at the Salt Lake Union Stock Yards. An underground subway was to be built under the Rio Grande Western tracks to allow livestock unloaded from Oregon Short Line cars to pass under the RGW tracks. The previous organization from 1904 failed to raise enough capital to build the new packing plant. (Deseret Evening News, February 12, 1906, "Saturday")

May 11, 1906
By mid May 1906, work was under way on the new plant of Utah Packing company, to be finished by August 1st; later delayed until mid October, and again until November 1st. (Coalville Times, May 11, 1906; Salt Lake Tribune, September 30, 1906; Vernal Times, October 13, 1906)

October 20, 1906
The nearly completed Utah Packing company plant was destroyed by fire, suffering a loss of $65,000, later changed to $100,000. (Deseret Evening News, October 22, 1906)

A new plant, a duplicate of the plant that burned, was to be ready by September 1, 1907. (Ogden Standard, December 5, 1906)

May 15, 1907
A photo of the new plant of Utah Packing Company, which was to be ready in "about fifteen days." (Salt Lake Herald, May 15, 1907)

September 12, 1907
Completion of the Utah Packing company's plant was delayed for at least another month, pending the completion of railroad spurs, and the hiring of a "practical" manager. There were also reports that the company was to be sold to Western Packing Company of Denver, which was controlled by National Packing and Provision Company of Portland, Oregon. (Salt Lake Herald Republican, September 12, 1907)

March 20, 1908
Utah Packing compnay had hired a manager with good experience, and he had already moved his family from Denver. The plant was to begin operations on April 1st. (Davis County Clipper, March 20, 1908)

April 1908
Utah Packing company started operations at its plant at Salt Lake Union Stock Yards. Capacity reported as 300 cattle, 1,000 sheep and 1,000 hogs. (Salt Lake Herald, December 27, 1908)

April 28, 1908
Utah Packing Company was reorganized as the Inter-Mountain Packing Company, to provide more funds for expansion of the company. (Deseret Evening News, April 28, 1908, "today")

May 21, 1908
Utah Packing company shipped its two carloads of dressed beef, to Denver. (Davis County Clipper, May 20, 1908; Deseret Evening News, May 20, 1908)

July 10, 1908
Utah Packing Company was formally sold to Inter-Mountain Packing Company. (Salt Lake Herald, July 11, 1908, "yesterday"; Davis County Clipper, July 17, 1908, "last week")

January 26, 1910
Fred E. Schlageter, formerly of Ogden Packing & Provision, organized along with other Ogden businessmen, the Utah Packing & Provision Company, with plans to build an $80,000 packing plant in North Salt Lake. Schlageter was one of the pioneer owners of Ogden Packing Company when it opened the first large-scale packing plant in Utah, in 1901. (Salt Lake Herald Republican, January 26, 1910) (No further action seems to have taken place, other than incorporating the company, due to a growing shortage of hogs in Utah.)

May 1, 1910
The plant of Inter-Mountain Packing company closed on May 1, 1910 due to severe shortage of hogs. The capacity was 600 hogs per day. The sale of hogs had started to fall off in about November 1909. (Salt Lake Herald Republican, May 1, 1910)

(Due to the shortage of hogs in Utah, Ogden Packing & Provision at the Ogden Union Stock Yards was buying hogs in Iowa, Kansas and Nebraska and shipping them to Ogden.)

April 23, 1916
A group of investors were interested in re-opening the plant of the Inter-Mountain Packing company, which closed in May 1910. (Salt Lake Tribune, April 23, 1916)

By May 1916, there was a caretaker and watchman at the plant for at least five years. (Davis County Clipper, May 19, 1916)

June 1, 1916
The Mountain States Packing Company had been organized to take over the interests of the Inter-Mountain Packing Company. (Milford County Chronicle, June 1, 1916; Davis County Clipper, June 2, 1916)

November 5, 1916
Cudahy Packing Company purchased the plant of the Inter-Mountain Packing Company, along with an interest in the adjacent Salt Lake Union Stock Yards. The packing plant was to receive $100,000 in improvements and would be ready for production by January 1, 1917. Negotiations had been under way for several months. (Salt Lake Telegram, November 5, 1916, page 1 and page 6, with photos)

December 6, 1916
Cudahy stated that their remodeling of the Inter-Mountain Packing plant would be completed by March 1st. (Salt Lake Tribune, December 6, 1916)

"As a matter of fact, the Cudahys had a distributing and processing plant in Salt Lake for many years, and for years bought the hog supply and shipped it to their packing plants. We had such a plant here for thirty years. Up to the past five or six years we enjoyed a good business, but the farmer and stockraiser found it profitable to feed stock and we found business here dwindling to zero an account of local slaughtering and the sale of goods at less than we could afford to sell. Hence we had the option of abandoning the intermountain country and surrendering the trade we had built up after thirty years of effort to local competitors and writing off our extensive investment, or of locating a packing plant here, and, as you know, we selected Salt Lake as the logical location." (J. A. McNaughton, Cudahy traffic manager, quoted in Salt Lake Tribune, December 6, 1916)

Although Cudahy had what was called a branch office in Salt Lake City, there were rumors as early as January 1915 that Cudahy was interested in building its own slaughter house (often referred to by its French translation: an "arbattoir") and packing plant in the Salt Lake City area. (Salt Lake Tribune, January 13, 1915)

A review of records at the Davis County Recorder's Office found the following:

-- Cudahy Packing Company of Nebraska, October 1916 -- located in T1N, R1W, sections 2 and 11; Book of Deeds, pages C302, E101, 292

-- Salt Lake Union Stock Yards, November 1916 -- located in T2N, R1W, section 26, SE quarter; Book of Deeds, page E113

-- Salt Lake Union Stock Yards to Cudahay, May 1917 -- located in T1N, R1W, section 2, SE quarter; Book of Deeds, page C302

April 4-6, 1917
Cudahy Packing company held a livestock show and public open house to mark the opening of its new packing plant at the Salt Lake Union Stock Yards. (Salt Lake Tirbune, April 5, 1917, with photos, pages 1 and 17)

In 1916 Cudahy Meat Packing Company bought the Intermountain Ice Packing building on Center Street just below the railroad tracks. It became such a successful meat-packing plant that the street which is now Center Street was called Cudahy Lane. Cattle were shipped in and processed meats were shipped out to destinations all over the world. The plant was closed in 1972. (Utah History Cyclopedia, North Salt Lake)

###