UtahRails.net

(This page printed from UtahRails.net, Copyright 2000-2016 Don Strack)

Named 1941-Built Streamliner Sleeper Cars

This page was last updated on October 19, 2015.

(Return to UP Passenger Car Index Page)

The following 19 lightweight cars were part of the original Streamliner trainsets on Union Pacific, also known as the 1st through 10th Trains; a total of 85 cars.

Sleeper -- 19 cars (Pullman owned; to UP, C&NW, SP)
Pullman-Standard, 1941
Lightweight

Car
Name
Date
Built
Initial
Service
1945
Ownership
Later
Number
Lease To
Pullman Ended
Date Retired
By UP
Notes
Angel Island Jun 1941 Spare (COSF) UP   17 Jan 1961 Jan 1961 1
Arcadia Jun 1941 7th Train (COLA) C&NW   6 Sep 1960   2
Cabrillo Jun 1941 7th Train (COLA) UP   1 Jan 1961 May 1961 3
Chinatown (2nd) Jun 1941 8th Train (COSF) UP   1 Mar 1961 May 1961 4
Civic Center Jul 1941 10th Train (COSF) C&NW   1 Jun 1960   5
Cliff House Jun 1941 8th Train (COSF) UP   1 Jan 1961 May 1961 6
Figueroa Jun 1941 7th Train (COLA) UP   1 Jan 1961 May 1961 7
Hunters Point Jul 1941 10th Train (COSF) C&NW   1 Jun 1960   8
Lakeside Jul 1941 Spare (COSF) UP   1 Jan 1961 May 1961 9
Los Feliz Jun 1941 9th Train (COLA) UP   18 Jan 1962 Dec 1961 10
North Beach Jun 1941 10th Train (COSF) UP   1 Jan 1961 May 1961 11
Olvera Jun 1941 9th Train (COLA) UP   1 Jan 1961 Jan 1961 12
Palos Verdes Jun 1941 Spare (COLA) UP   1 Jan 1961 May 1961 13
Playa Del Reya Jun 1941 9th Train (COLA) UP   30 Sep 1960 Sep 1960 14
San Gabriel Jun 1941 9th Train (COLA) UP   1 Jan 1961 May 1961 15
Sutro Heights Jul 1941 10th Train (COSF) SP SP 9102 3 Sep 1959   16
Twin Peaks (2nd) Jun 1941 8th Train (COSF) UP   8 Jun 1961 May 1961 17
Verdugo Jul 1941 Spare (COLA) UP   1 Jan 1961 May 1961 18
Yerba Buena Jul 1941 8th Train (COLA) SP SP 9103 1 Jan 1960   19

Description:

Length, Over Coupler Pulling Faces: 84'-9"
Length, Over End Sills: 82'-7"
Truck Centers: 59'-6"
Truck Style: Two 4-wheel trucks (9'-0" wheelbase)

General Notes:

a. 4 Bedrooms, 4 Compartments, 2 Drawing Rooms (total of 19 cars delivered in June and July 1941)
b. Pullman Lot 6636
c. Pullman Plan 4069F
d. Pullman Floor Plan 82-B-15
e. Photos and plans in The Official Pullman-Standard Library, Volume 14, pages 76-81
f. Photos and plans in Southern Pacific Passenger Cars, Volume 2: Sleepers & Baggage-Dorms, pages 245-253
g. Lakeside (COSF), Palos Verdes (COLA), and Verdugo (COLA), were painted two-tone gray and assigned to City of St. Louis service in June to November 1946; one car in each of two COSL train consists, with the third as a spare; replaced by American-series sleepers in November 1946; the three 1941-built sleepers were returned to their previous service assignments. (see Q&A 2, The Streamliner, Volume 8, Number 1, page 37) (photo of Lakeside in COSL two-tone gray, at Denver, page 252 of in Southern Pacific Passenger Cars, Volume 2: Sleepers & Baggage-Dorms)
h. UP folio diagram sheet S-91 (10-27-42) (see Union Pacific Streamliners, page 238)
i. UP Equipment Record: r3-1215 (named sleepers)

Notes:

1. Angel Island was built in June 1941 for City of San Francisco service; sold to UP on December 31, 1945 and leased back to Pullman for operation; lease ended on January 17, 1961, returned to UP; retired by UP in January 1961; sold for scrap to Aaron Ferer and Sons, Omaha, Nebraska.
2.

Arcadia was built in June 1941 as part of the revised 7th Train (COLA); sold to C&NW on December 31, 1945 and leased back to Pullman for operation, remained in COLA service; C&NW operation of Chicago-Omaha "City" trains ended in October 1955, and car removed from COLA service; repainted by Pullman to Illinois Central brown and orange November 1957, car assigned to the Panama Limited; leased ended and returned to C&NW on September 6, 1960; retired by C&NW in 1960.

Sold in 1962 to Verl Thomson of Sioux Falls, South Dakota, to be used along with four other cars to create the Sioux Chief Traintel; exchanged for, and renamed as Hunters Point, which was reported as being burned during delivery to Sioux Falls (Arcadia was renamed as the identical to Hunters Point to keep all cars in Sioux Falls as being former City of San Francisco cars.)

(There seems to be some confusion as to which car was renamed. Did Hunters Point become Arcadia, or did Arcadia become Hunters Point. The two cars are identical, so only an examination of lettering under each car's paint will truly resolve the confusion.)

Used along with three other cars to create the Sioux Chief Traintel; motel remained in business until 1975; cars moved in May 1990. Hunters Point/Arcadia was moved in 1992 to Travel Town in Griffith Park Los Angeles, California.

(Read more about the Sioux Chief Traintel, including a link to photos)

(View a list of the passenger cars at Travel Town)

3. Cabrillo was built in June 1941 as part of the revised 7th Train (COLA); sold to UP on December 31, 1945 and leased back to Pullman for operation, remained in COLA service; lease ended on January 1, 1961, returned to UP; retired by UP in May 1961; sold for scrap to Aaron Ferer and Sons, Omaha, Nebraska.
4. Chinatown (2nd) was built in June 1941 as part of the revised 8th Train (COSF); sold to UP on December 31, 1945 and leased back to Pullman for operation; lease ended on March 1, 1961, returned to UP; retired by UP in May 1961; sold for scrap to Aaron Ferer and Sons, Omaha, Nebraska.
5.

Civic Center was built in July 1941 as part of the 10th Train (COSF); sold to C&NW on December 31, 1945, leased to Pullman for operation, remained in COSF service; C&NW operation of Chicago-Omaha "City" trains ended in October 1955, and car removed from COSF service; repainted by Pullman to two-tone gray in January 1956, car assigned to general Pullman pool; lease ended on June 1, 1960, returned to C&NW; retired by C&NW on July 18, 1960.

Sold in 1962 to Verl Thomson of Sioux Falls, South Dakota, and used along with three other cars to create the Sioux Chief Traintel; motel remained in business until 1975; cars moved in May 1990.

(Read more about the Sioux Chief Traintel, including a link to photos)

Civic Center was purchased by Vernon Bruce and moved in 1992 to the San Francisco Bay area; displayed at the Golden Gate Railroad Museum until the car was moved for display at the former SP depot in Millbrae, California, as part of the Millbrae Train Museum, which opened in October 2004.

(Read more about the Millbrae Train Museum)

6. Cliff House was built in June 1941 as part of the revised 8th Train (COSF); sold to UP on December 31, 1945 and leased back to Pullman for operation; lease ended on January 1, 1961, returned to UP; retired by UP in May 1961; sold for scrap to Aaron Ferer and Sons, Omaha, Nebraska.
7. Figueroa was built in June 1941 as part of the revised 7th Train (COLA); sold to UP on December 31, 1945 and leased back to Pullman for operation, remained in COLA service; lease ended on January 1, 1961, returned to UP; retired by UP in May 1961; sold for scrap to Aaron Ferer and Sons, Omaha, Nebraska.
8.

Hunters Point was built in July 1941 as part of the 10th Train (COSF); sold to C&NW on December 31, 1945, leased to Pullman for operation, remained in COSF service; C&NW operation of Chicago-Omaha "City" trains ended in October 1955, and car removed from COSF service; repainted by Pullman to two-tone gray in May 1956, car assigned to general Pullman pool; repainted to Illinois Central brown and orange in November 1957, car assigned to Panama Limited; lease ended on June 1, 1960 and returned to C&NW; retired by C&NW on December 27, 1960; sold to Hyman-Michaels Co.

Sold in 1962 to Verl Thomson of Sioux Falls, South Dakota; burned during delivery to Sioux Falls and scrapped; substituted by Arcadia, which was renamed as Hunters Point.

(There seems to be some confusion as to which car was renamed. Did Hunters Point become Arcadia, or did Arcadia become Hunters Point. The two cars are identical, so only an examination of lettering under each car's paint will truly resolve the confusion.)

9. Lakeside was built in July 1941 for City of San Francisco service; sold to UP on December 31, 1945, leased to Pullman for operation; lease ended January 1, 1961; retired by UP in May 1961; sold for scrap to Aaron Ferer and Sons, Omaha, Nebraska
10. Los Feliz was built in June 1941 as part of the 9th Train (COLA); sold to UP on December 31, 1945 and leased back to Pullman for operation; lease ended on January 18, 1962, returned to UP; retired by UP in December 1961; sold for scrap to Aaron Ferer and Sons, Omaha, Nebraska.
11. North Beach was built in June 1941 as part of the 10th Train (COSF); sold to UP on December 31, 1945 and leased back to Pullman for operation; lease ended on January 1, 1961, returned to UP; retired by UP in May 1961; sold for scrap to Aaron Ferer and Sons, Omaha, Nebraska.
12. Olvera was built in June 1941 as part of the 9th Train (COLA); sold to UP on December 31, 1945 and leased back to Pullman for operation; lease ended on January 17, 1961, returned to UP; retired by UP in January 1961; sold for scrap to Aaron Ferer and Sons, Omaha, Nebraska.
13. Palos Verdes was built in July 1941 for City of Los Angeles service; sold to UP on December 31, 1945 and leased back to Pullman for operation; lease ended on January 1, 1961, returned to UP; retired by UP in May 1961; sold for scrap to Aaron Ferer and Sons, Omaha, Nebraska.
14. Playa Del Reya was built in June 1941 as part of the 9th Train (COLA); sold to UP on December 31, 1945 and leased back to Pullman for operation; lease ended on September 30, 1960, returned to UP; retired by UP in September 1960; sold for scrap to Aaron Ferer and Sons, Omaha, Nebraska.
15. San Gabriel was built in June 1941 as part of the 9th Train (COLA); sold to UP on December 31, 1945 and leased back to Pullman for operation; lease ended on January 1, 1961, returned to UP; retired by UP in May 1961; sold for scrap to Aaron Ferer and Sons, Omaha, Nebraska.
16. Sutro Heights was built in July 1941 as part of the 10th Train (COSF); sold to SP on December 31, 1945 and leased back to Pullman for operation; renumbered to SP 9102 on March 6, 1950 (Sutro Heights name removed); lease to Pullman ended on September 3, 1959, returned to SP; retired by SP on September 3, 1959 "due to extensive corrosion between aluminum superstructures and steel underframes"; sold for scrap.
17. Twin Peaks (2nd) was built in June 1941 as part of the revised 8th Train (COSF); sold to UP on December 31, 1945 and leased back to Pullman for operation; lease ended on June 8, 1961, returned to UP; retired by UP in May 1961; sold for scrap to Aaron Ferer and Sons, Omaha, Nebraska.
18. Verdugo was built in July 1941 for City of Los Angeles service; sold to UP on December 31, 1945, leased to Pullman for operation, car remained in COLA service; lease to Pullman ended on January 1, 1961; retired by UP in May 1961; sold for scrap to Aaron Ferer and Sons, Omaha, Nebraska.
19. Yerba Buena was built in July 1941 as part of the revised 8th Train (COSF); sold to SP on December 31, 1945 and leased back to Pullman for operation; renumbered to SP 9103 on January 11, 1950 (Sutro Heights name removed); lease to Pullman ended on January 1, 1960, returned to SP; retired by SP on January 1, 1960 "due to extensive corrosion between aluminum superstructures and steel underframes"; sold for scrap.

###