UtahRails.net

(This page printed from UtahRails.net, Copyright 2000-2016 Don Strack)

Union Pacific Streamliners

Index For This Page

This page was last updated on May 10, 2014.

(Return To UP Passenger Cars Index Page)

The following is compiled from excerpts from the Overland Route section of Car Names, Numbers and Consists, by Robert J. Wayner, published in 1972.

The First Train

600 H.P. Power Unit-Railway Post Office-Baggage M-10000
56-seat Chair Car 10400
56-seat Chair-Buffet Car (blind-end observation) 10401

Delivered on February 12, 1934. The sleeping car OVERLAND TRAIL, with 8 enclosed sections, 1 compartment and 1 double bedroom (Plan 4034, Lot 6428) was out-shopped in May 1934 and added to the above consist for display at the Century of Progress exposition in Chicago, then was withdrawn late in that year for assignment to the Second Train.

The First Train ran in Kansas City-Topeka-Salina service as the CITY OF SALINA from January 31, 1935 until December 16, 1941, when it was retired for scrapping to provide aluminum for the war effort.

The Second Train [Display]

900 H.P. Power Unit M-10001
Auxiliary Power-Railway Post Office-Baggage 12200
10 Enclosed Sections, 1 Compartment, 1 Double Bedroom E. H. HARRIMAN
10 Enclosed Sections, 1 Compartment, 1 Double Bedroom ABRAHAM LINCOLN
8 Enclosed Sections, 1 Compartment, 1 Double Bedroom OREGON TRAIL
54-seat Chair-Buffet Car (blind-end observation) 10402

Delivered on October 2, 1934. The car OREGON TRAIL was Plan 4034 and the E. H. HARRIMAN and ABRAHAM LINCOLN units were Plan 4035, all built in Lot 6428.

(Toured October 22-25, 1934, returned to Pullman for changes in December 1934.)

The Second Train [Revised]

After an exhibition tour the Second Train was modified for revenue service as follows:

1200 H.P. Power Unit M-10001
Baggage Mail Dormitory 12200
Dining Lounge 10300
8 Enclosed Sections, 1 Compartment, 1 Double Bedroom OVERLAND TRAIL
10 Enclosed Sections, 1 Compartment, 1 Double Bedroom ABRAHAM LINCOLN
8 Enclosed Sections, 1 Compartment, 1 Double Bedroom OREGON TRAIL
54-seat Chair-Buffet Car (blind-end observation) 10402

(Delivered to UP on May 23, 1935.)

The 900 H.P. diesel engine was replaced by a new 1200 H.P. power plant. The 900 H.P. engine was stored and then placed in the second power car of the Third Train in 1936.

The auxiliary power plant in car 12200 was removed and the car rebuilt to a baggage-dormitory unit without renumbering.

The car E. H. HARRIMAN was converted to a dining-lounge car (30 dining seats, 10 lounge chairs) and re-designated 10300. The sleeping car OVERLAND TRAIL from the First Train was cut in directly behind car 10300. The Second Train, now seven cars, ran as the first CITY OF PORTLAND from June 6th to July 26th in 1935, and again from February 6, 1936 to March 27, 1939, when it was replaced in CITY OF PORTLAND service by the Third Train. The Second Train was then placed in storage.

In December 1939 the 1200 H.P. diesel engine in the M-10001 power unit was transferred to a newly-built protection power car numbered CD-07C. The Second Train was junked in April [August] 1941.

Third and Fourth Trains

  THIRD TRAIN FOURTH TRAIN
1200 H.P. Power Unit M-10002A M-10004A
Second Power Unit* M-l0002B M-10004B
Auxiliary Power-R.P.O.-Baggage 12201 12202
Baggage-Dormitory-Kitchen 12760 12761
Dining Room-Lounge Car 10301 10302
11 Open Sections SANTA ANITA HAWAII
7 Double Bedrooms, 2 Compartments MORMON TRAIL LANAI
11 Open Sections CINEMA HONOLULU
11 Enclosed Sections BOULDER CANYON OAHU
48-seat Chair Car 10403 10405
38-seat Chair-Buffet Car (blind-end observation) 10404 10406

*The second power unit in the Third Train contained a 900 H.P. diesel engine that had originally been in the Second Train power car M-10001. The second unit in the Fourth Train had a new 1200 H.P. power plant.

Cars CINEMA, HAWAII, HONOLULU and SANTA ANITA were Plan 4037B; cars BOULDER CANYON and OAHU were Plan 4038B; cars LANAI and MORMON TRAIL were Plan 4039D -- all cars built in Lot 6434 in May 1936.

The Third Train began revenue operation as the CITY OF LOS ANGELES on May 15, 1936. It was joined in this service by the Seventh Train on December 18, 1937.

The sleeping car MORMON TRAIL was transferred from the Third to the Fourth Train in August of 1938. On December 26th of that year the Third Train was withdrawn from CITY OF LOS ANGELES service and stored until March 27, 1939, when it replaced the Second Train as the CITY OF PORTLAND.

In August 1941 the Fourth Train replaced the Third Train as the CITY OF PORTLAND and acquired the Third Train's sleeping car SANTA ANITA. The Third Train was then placed in storage until April 12, 1942, when it was activated as a Portland-Seattle train (known unofficially as the CITY OF SEATTLE) operating as a CITY OF PORTLAND connection on the dates when the latter train arrived or departed Portland. For this assignment the section seats in cars CINEMA and BOULDER CANYON were sold at parlor seat rates.

The Third Train was retired on March 13, 1943. Cars 12201, 10404 and 12760 were scrapped, the sleeping car CINEMA was transferred to the Fourth Train, and all other units were placed in storage. In February of 1946 the chair car 10403 was renumbered CP-408 for transfer to the Fourth Train together with the sleeping car BOULDER CANYON.

In November 1946 the dining-lounge car 10301 was scrapped and the two power units were sold to the Northrop-Hendy Company near Los Angeles, thus ending the existence of the Third Train.

The Fourth Train was placed in operation as the CITY OF SAN FRANCISCO on June 14, 1936. It was replaced in this service by the Eighth Train on January 2, 1938. On that date the Fourth Train made one eastbound trip as the second section of the CITY OF SAN FRANCISCO (running behind the Eighth Train) and was then shopped for extensive rebuilding. The consist which emerged seven months later was as follows:

LA-4A 1200 H.P. Power Unit (renumbered from M-10004A)
LA-4B 1200 H.P. Power Unit (renumbered from M-10004B)
LA-102 Auxiliary Power-Baggage-Dormitory Car (rebuilt from auxiliary power-baggage car CD-10, which had originally been built as car 11700 for the Fifth Train)
LA-403 40-seat Chair Car (rebuilt from Chair-Buffet car 10406, which was the blind-end observation car in the Fourth Train as originally out-shopped)
LA-404 48-seat Chair Car (renumbered from 10405)
LA-603 32-seat Coffee Shop-Kitchen Car (rebuilt from baggage-dormitory-kitchen car 12761)
LA-604 60-seat Dining Room Car (rebuilt from dining room-lounge car 10302)
HAWAII 11 Open Sections
LANAI 7 Double Bedrooms, 2 Compartments
MORMON TRAIL 7 Double Bedrooms, 2 Compartments (transferred from Third Train in August 1938)
HONOLULU 11 Open Sections
OAHU 11 Enclosed Sections
LA-902 COPPER KING Buffet Lounge Observation Car (rebuilt from auxiliary power-R.P.O.-baggage car 12202)

The full-width kitchen in mid-train car LA-603 prevented the coach passengers from sneaking back to the first-class lounge car at the rear of the train.

The remodeled Fourth Train consist was restored to public operation on August 18, 1938 as the CITY OF LOS ANGELES, joining the Third and the Seventh Trains in this service. In April 1939 the power cars LA-4A and LA-4B were withdrawn for conversion to trailing power units for the Fifth and Sixth Trains respectively; they were replaced in the Fourth Train by 2000 H.P. "A" and "B" units LA-5 and LA-6 which had been built the previous month. In August 1939 these two units were reassigned to the Eighth Train; the new power for the Fourth Train was a pair of 1200 H.P. units designated CD-07A and CD-07B, built in July 1936 as protection power cars and whose original numbers, M-10003A and M-10003B, filled the gap in the numbering sequence between the M-10002 units of the Third Train and the original M-10004 power cars of the Fourth Train. These units acquired their CD-07A and CD-07B designations in June 1937.

In December of 1939 a third power car was added to the Fourth Train, numbered CD-07C; this was a new unit except for its 1200 H.P. diesel engine which was formerly in the Second Train power car M-10001. In April 1941 the Fourth Train re-acquired the LA-5 and LA-6 units, renumbered in that month to 5-M-1-A and 5-M-2-B respectively. During the five years following, the Fourth Train was powered either by these two units or by the three "CD" power cars. On August 3rd of that year the Ninth Train superseded the Fourth Train in CITY OF LOS ANGELES operation. The Fourth Train in turn replaced the Third Train as the CITY OF PORTLAND, with all car-number prefixes being changed from "LA" to "CP" and the sleeping car SANTA ANITA taken over from the Third Train. The further acquisition of the Third Train cars CINEMA, CP-408 and BOULDER CANYON between 1943 and 1946 increased the Fourth Train's consist to eighteen units, as follows:

1200 H.P. Power Unit CD-07A
1200 H.P. Power Unit CD-07B
1200 H.P. Power Unit CD-07C
Auxiliary Power-Baggage-Dormitory CP-102
40-seat Chair Car CP-403
48-seat Chair Car CP-404
48-seat Chair Car CP-408
32-seat Coffee Shop-Kitchen Car CP-603
60-seat Dining Room Car CP-604
11 Enclosed Sections BOULDER CANYON
11 Open Sections HAWAII
11 Open Sections SANTA ANITA
11 Open Sections CINEMA
7 Double Bedrooms, 2 Compartments LANAI
7 Double Bedrooms, 2 Compartments MORMON TRAIL
11 Open Sections HONOLULU
11 Enclosed Sections OAHU
Buffet Lounge Observation Car CP-902 COPPER KING

On February 15, 1947 the CITY OF PORTLAND became a daily train with the installation of the standard-size Eleventh, Twelfth, Thirteenth and Fourteenth Trains, sending the Fourth Train to storage until October 1st of that year, when it temporarily replaced the Sixth Train in CITY OF DENVER service while the latter consist was being renovated. The Sixth Train returned to service on December 5th, at which time the Fourth Train became a substitute CITY OF DENVER for the Fifth Train, which likewise was sent to the shops for renovation. While running as the CITY OF DENVER the Fourth Train was powered by regular Fifth Train units CD-05A, CD-05B and CD-05C, the "CP" prefix to car numbers was changed to "CD", and the sleeping cars OAHU and BOULDER CANYON were withdrawn from the consist. The Fourth Train was returned to storage in the spring of 1948 when the Fifth Train was restored to CITY OF DENVER operation. Two years later the scrap yard at Omaha was filled with the remains of the Fourth Train, which had operated successively as the CITY OF SAN FRANCISCO, CITY OF LOS ANGELES, CITY OF PORTLAND and CITY OF DENVER during its fascinating career. It was laid to rest only after a sufficient amount of postwar lightweight equipment had been delivered to assure its never being needed again.

Fifth and Sixth Trains

The original numbers of the first eight units in each consist were changed to "CD" numbers in June 1937; the corresponding first and second numbers of each such car are indicated below.

  THE FIFTH TRAIN THE SIXTH TRAIN
1200 H.P. Power Unit M-10005A // CD-05A M-10006A // CD-06A
1200 H.P. Power Unit M-l0005B // CD-05B M-10006B // CD-06B
Auxiliary Power-Baggage Car 11700 // CD-10 11702 // CD-11
Baggage-Railway Post Office 12203 // CD-30 12204 // CD-31
Baggage-"Frontier Shack" Tavern 11701// CD-70 11703 // CD-71
50-seat Chair Car 10407 // CD-40 10409 // CD-42
50-seat Chair Car 10408 // CD-41 10410 // CD-43
Dining-Cocktail Lounge Car 10303 // CD- 60 10304 // CD-61
12 Open Sections CACHE LA POUDRE BIG PINEY
8 Enclosed Sections, 2 Double Bedrooms, 1 Compartment SQUAW BONNET SNOWY RANGE
12 Open Sections SILVER DOLLAR ST. VRAINS
1 Compartment, 5 Double Bedrooms - Lounge Observation OGALLALA COLORES

The cars BIG PINEY, CACHE LA POUDRE, SILVER DOLLAR and ST. VRAINS were Plan 4053; cars SNOWY RANGE and SQUAW BONNET were Plan 4054; COLORES and OGALLALA were Plan 4055 -- all cars built in Lot 6486 in June of 1936.

The Fifth and Sixth Trains operated as the CITY OF DENVER from June 18, 1936 until March 19, 1953, with time out for renovation in 1947 and 1948. Both trains were sold for scrap in May 1953.

The following changes occurred in the two CITY OF DENVER consists:

Auxiliary power-baggage cars 11704 and 11705 were built in August 1936 as extra cars. Car 11704 became CD-20 in June 1937 and then CD-13 in May 1939 when it was cut into the Fifth Train as a replacement for car CD-10 which went to the remodeled Fourth Train. Car 11705 was changed to CD-12 in May 1939 [ed. July 1937]; it was used in the Sixth Train in the late 1940s in place of car CD-11.

Sleeping cars SOUTH PLATTE and DENARGO were added to the Fifth and Sixth Trains respectively in May of 1939, cut in behind cars SQUAW BONNET and SNOWY RANGE. Built to Plan 4083 in Lot 6568, each car contained 4 roomettes, 3 compartments, 1 drawing room and 4 double bedrooms. DENARGO was switched to the Fifth Train and SOUTH PLATTE to the Sixth Train in October 1942.

The Fifth and Sixth Trains received a third power car in August and September of 1939 respectively. These were 1200 H.P. units LA-4A and LA-4B from the Fourth Train, rebuilt to trailing units CD-05C and CD-06C for CITY OF DENVER service.

Baggage-"Frontier Shack" Tavern cars CD-70 and CD-71 were converted to mid-train dormitory-club lounge cars and positioned to the rear of the dining car in each consist in December 1944 and January 1945 respectively.

Dining-Cocktail Lounge cars CD-60 and CD-61 were rebuilt to 40-seat straight dining cars in February 1943 and December 1942 respectively, with CD-60 being switched to the Sixth Train and CD-61 going to the Fifth Train.

The Seventh Train

Placed in service on December 18, 1937 as the CITY OF LOS ANGELES, joining the Third Train then operating under this name.

1800 H.P. Power Unit LA-1
1800 H.P. Power Unit LA-2
1800 H.P. Power Unit LA-3
Auxiliary Power-Baggage-Dormitory Car LA-101
52-seat Chair Car LA-401; LAS VEGAS
52-seat Chair Car LA-402; SALT LAKE
32-seat Coffee Shop-Kitchen Car LA-601; BILTMORE
72-seat Dining Room Car LA-602; AMBASSADOR (1st); to Mission Dolores, 2nd, SF-606
Dormitory-Buffet Lounge Car LA-701; "THE LITTLE NUGGET"
4 Compartments, 3 Drawing Rooms SANTA MONICA
12 Open Sections WILSHIRE
4 Compartments, 3 Drawing Rooms SAN DOMINGUEZ
13 Roomettes SAN FERNANDO
11 Double Bedrooms ARROYO SECO
12 Enclosed Sections BEVERLY HILLS
12 Duplex Single Rooms, 5 Double Bedrooms ROSE BOWL (1st)
Buffet Lounge Observation Car LA-901; SUN VALLEY

The sleeping cars for the Seventh and Eighth Trains were all delivered in December 1937 in Lot 6525, and had the following plan numbers:

Plan 4063B - FISHERMANS WHARF, SAN DOMINGUEZ, SANTA MONICA, TWIN PEAKS

Plan 4064 - CHINATOWN, GOLDEN GATE PARK, UNION SQUARE, WILSHIRE

Plan 4064A - BEVERLY HILLS

Plan 4066A - PORTSMOUTH SQUARE, ROSE BOWL

Plan 4067A - ARROYO SECO, SEAL ROCKS

Plan 4068A TELEGRAPH HILL

Plan 4073 - SAN FERNANDO

The Eighth Train

Inaugurated January 2, 1938 as the CITY OF SAN FRANCISCO, replacing the Fourth Train in this service.

1800 H.P. Power Unit SF-1
1800 H.P. Power Unit SF-2
1800 H.P. Power Unit SF-3
Auxiliary Power-Baggage-Dormitory Car SF-101
54-seat Chair Car SF-401; MARKET STREET
32-seat Coffee Shop-Kitchen Car* SF-601; PRESIDIO (1st)
72-seat Dining Room Car* SF-602; MISSION DOLORES
Dormitory-Buffet Lounge Car* SF-701; EMBARCADERO (1st)
4 Compartments, 3 Drawing Rooms* TWIN PEAKS
12 Open Sections* CHINATOWN
4 Compartments, 3 Drawing Rooms FISHERMANS WHARF
12 Open Sections GOLDEN GATE PARK
11 Double Bedrooms SEAL ROCKS
12 Open Sections UNION SQUARE
18 Roomettes TELEGRAPH HILL (1st)
12 Duplex Single Rooms, 5 Double Bedrooms PORTSMOUTH SQUARE
Buffet Lounge Observation Car SF-901; NOB HILL

*These five cars were destroyed, and others damaged, when the westbound CITY OF SAN FRANCISCO was wrecked at Harney, Nevada on August 12, 1939.

1939 Replacement Train

An all-lightweight replacement consist was assembled and entered service as the new Eighth Train effective August 23, 1939 from Chicago. The consist of the replacement train was as follows:

2000 H.P. Power Unit LA-5
2000 H.P. Power Unit LA-6
Auxiliary Power-Baggage Car CD-12
48-seat Chair Car 5316
Twin-Unit Dining Car 5104
4 Compartments, 2 Drawing Rooms, 4 Double Bedrooms IMPERIAL FOUNTAIN
17 Roomettes CITY OF CHICAGO
4 Compartments, 2 Drawing Rooms, 4 Double Bedrooms IMPERIAL RANGE
13 Double Bedrooms LUCAS COUNTY
13 Double Bedrooms ALLEGHENY COUNTY
18 Roomettes CITY OF ST. LOUIS
3 Double Bedrooms, 1 Drawing Room, 1 Compartment - Buffet Observation GEORGE M. PULLMAN

In the above consist, the two power units were taken from the Fourth Train. The auxiliary power-baggage unit was an extra CITY OF DENVER-type car. The chair car and twin-unit diner came from the CHALLENGER. Sleeping cars ALLEGHENY COUNTY, CITY OF ST. LOUIS and IMPERIAL RANGE were recruited from the Pennsylvania Railroad pool, while the IMPERIAL FOUNTAIN, CITY OF CHICAGO and LUCAS COUNTY normally ran on the New York Central. The GEORGE M. PULLMAN was a Pullman pool-service car. This consist ran until 1941; some of the sleepers were gradually replaced by original Eighth Train cars restored to operating condition.

Streamliner Consists of 1941

In June and July of 1941 a large number of new cars were built, and changes made on existing cars, resulting in four newly-aligned consists for Chicago-California operation. Two of these were for CITY OF LOS ANGELES service: the partially re-equipped Seventh Train and an almost completely new Ninth Train, inaugurated August 3, 1941. The other two trains were for CITY OF SAN FRANCISCO operation: the Eighth Train with new cars augmenting those restored to service from the wreck of 1939, and a nearly-new Tenth Train, placed in service on July 26, 1941.

The following changes were made on Seventh and Eighth Train cars in July 1941:

The 18-roomette car TELEGRAPH HILL was renamed ROSE BOWL, and the 12-duplex single room, 5 double bedroom car ROSE BOWL became the TELEGRAPH HILL.

The 11-double bedroom car SEAL ROCKS became the SAN DOMINGUEZ, and the 12-open section car UNION SQUARE was renamed WILSHIRE, the two cars remaining articulated.

The 4-compartment, 3-drawing room car SAN DOMINGUEZ was de-articulated from the car SAN FERNANDO, and the 12-open section car WILSHIRE was similarly detached from the SANTA MONICA. The SAN DOMINGUEZ and the WILSHIRE were then articulated together and renamed SEAL ROCKS and UNION SQUARE respectively. The SAN FERNANDO and SANTA MONICA were joined as an articulated pair.

The Coffee Shop-Kitchen car LA-601 - BILTMORE became SF-605 - PRESIDIO (2nd), and the Dining Room car LA-602 -AMBASSADOR was re-designated SF-606 - MISSION DOLORES and its seating capacity reduced from 72 to 68. These two units remained articulated to each other.

Twenty-three new sleeping cars were built for the four consists in June and July of 1941 in Lot 6636. Nineteen of these were Plan 4069F, with 4 compartments, 2 drawing rooms and 4 double bedrooms. Two cars were Plan 4072D, containing 10 roomettes and 5 double bedrooms. The other two, Plan 4096A, had 4 double bedrooms and buffet lounge observation (flat-end). The names of all these cars are given in the four consists.

The 1941 editions of the Seventh and Eighth Trains were powered by their original three-unit diesel locomotives; the Ninth and Tenth Trains had new three-unit diesel power, with 2000 H.P. per unit. In December of 1943 the Seventh Train's lead power unit LA-1 and the Ninth Train's lead unit LA-4 exchanged numbers and positions, thus giving the Seventh and Ninth Trains the horsepower totals of 5600 and 5800 respectively.

The sleeping cars in the four consists were Pullman-owned until 1945; subsequent ownership is indicated in the right-hand margin of each consist. All sleepers in the Fourth, Fifth and Sixth Trains became Union Pacific property in 1945.

Seventh Train [Revised]

The revised Seventh Train was as follows:

1800 H.P. Power Unit LA-1
1800 H.P. Power Unit LA-2
1800 H.P. Power Unit LA-3
Auxiliary Power-Baggage-Dormitory Car LA-101
52-seat Chair Car LA-401; LAS VEGAS
52-seat Chair Car LA-402; SALT LAKE
Cafe-Lounge Car (new) LA-611; MISSION INN
56-seat Dining Car (new) LA-607 ;BILTMORE
Dormitory-Buffet Lounge Car LA-701; "THE LITTLE NUGGET"
11 Double Bedrooms ARROYO SECO (UP)
12 Enclosed Sections BEVERLY HILLS (UP)
4 Compartments, 3 Drawing Rooms SANTA MONICA (UP)
13 Roomettes SAN FERNANDO (UP)
4 Compartments, 2 Drawing Rooms, 4 Double Bedrooms (new) CABRILLO (UP)
4 Compartments, 2 Drawing Rooms, 4 Double Bedrooms (new) FIGUEROA (UP)
4 Compartments, 2 Drawing Rooms, 4 Double Bedrooms (new) ARCADIA (C&NW)
Buffet Lounge Observation Car LA-901; SUN VALLEY

The Ninth Train

The new Ninth Train had the following cars:

2000 H.P. Power Unit (new) LA-4
2000 H.P. Power Unit (new) LA-5
2000 H.P. Power Unit (new) LA-6
Baggage-Dormitory Car (new) LA-103
48-seat Chair Car (new) LA-405; PASADENA
48-seat Chair Car (new) LA-406; BOULDER CITY
Cafe-Lounge Car (new) LA-612; HACIENDA
56-seat Dining Car (new) LA-608; AMBASSADOR (2nd)
Buffet Lounge Car (new) LA-703; HOLLYWOOD
11 Double Bedrooms SAN DOMINGUEZ (UP)
12 Open Sections WILSHIRE (UP)
18 Roomettes ROSE BOWL (C&NW)
4 Compartments, 2 Drawing Rooms, 4 Double Bedrooms (new) LOS FELIZ (UP)
4 Compartments, 2 Drawing Rooms, 4 Double Bedrooms (new) SAN GABRIEL (UP)
4 Compartments, 2 Drawing Rooms, 4 Double Bedrooms (new) OLVERA (UP)
4 Compartments, 2 Drawing Rooms, 4 Double Bedrooms (new) PLAYA DEL REY (UP)
4 Double Bed Room - Buffet Observation Car (new) BALDY MOUNTAIN (C&NW)

The Eighth Train [Revised]

The revised Eighth Train was as follows:

1800 H.P. Power Unit SF-1
1800 H.P. Power Unit SF-2
1800 H.P. Power Unit SF-3
Auxiliary Power-Baggage-Dormitory Car SF-101
54-seat Chair Car SF-401; MARKET STREET
32-seat Coffee Shop Kitchen Car SF-605; PRESIDIO (2nd)
68-seat Dining Room Car SF-606; MISSION DOLORES (from Ambassador, 1st, LA-602)
Dormitory-Buffet Lounge Car (new) SF-702; EMBARCADERO (2nd)
4 Compartments, 3 Drawing Rooms FISHERMANS WHARF (UP)
12 Open Sections GOLDEN GATE PARK (UP)
12 Duplex Single Rooms, 5 Double Bedrooms PORTSMOUTH SQUARE (SP)
10 Roomettes, 5 Double Bedrooms (new) FERRY BUILDING (SP)
4 Compartments, 2 Drawing Rooms, 4 Double Bedrooms (new) TWIN PEAKS (UP)
4 Compartments, 2 Drawing Rooms, 4 Double Bedrooms (new) CHINATOWN (UP)
4 Compartments, 2 Drawing Rooms, 4 Double Bedrooms (new) YERBA BUENA (SP)
4 Compartments, 2 Drawing Rooms, 4 Double Bedrooms (new) CLIFF HOUSE (UP)
Buffet Lounge Observation Car SF-901; NOB HILL

The Tenth Train

The new Tenth Train had the following consist:

2000 H.P. Power Unit (new) SF-4
2000 H.P. Power Unit (new) SF-5
2000 H.P. Power Unit (new) SF-6
Baggage-Dormitory Car (new) SF-104
48-seat Chair Car (new) SF-407; MONTGOMERY STREET
32-seat Coffee Shop-Kitchen Car (new) SF-609; FORT MASON
64-seat Dining Room Car (new) SF-610; ST. FRANCIS WOODS
Buffet Lounge Car (new) SF-704; MARINA
4 Compartments, 3 Drawing Rooms SEAL ROCKS (UP)
12 Open Sections UNION SQUARE (UP)
12 Duplex Single Rooms, 5 Double Bedrooms TELEGRAPH HILL (SP)
10 Roomettes, 5 Double Bedrooms (new) RINCON HILL (SP)
4 Compartments, 2 Drawing Rooms, 4 Double Bedrooms (new) SUTRO HEIGHTS (SP)
4 Compartments, 2 Drawing Rooms, 4 Double Bedrooms (new) NORTH BEACH (UP)
4 Compartments, 2 Drawing Rooms, 4 Double Bedrooms (new) HUNTERS POINT (C&NW)
4 Compartments, 2 Drawing Rooms, 4 Double Bedrooms (new) CIVIC CENTER (C&NW)
4 Double Bedrooms - Buffet Observation Car (new) RUSSIAN HILL (C&NW)

Extra 1941 Cars

The following extra sleeping cars were available for the Seventh and Ninth Trains (COLA):

4 Compartments, 2 Drawing Rooms, 4 Double Bedrooms (new) PALOS VERDES (UP)
4 Compartments, 2 Drawing Rooms, 4 Double Bedrooms (new) VERDUGO (UP)

The following extra sleepers were for the Eighth and Tenth Trains (COSF):

4 Compartments, 2 Drawing Rooms, 4 Double Bedrooms (new) ANGEL ISLAND (UP)
4 Compartments, 2 Drawing Rooms, 4 Double Bedrooms (new) LAKESIDE (UP)

###