A Utah Railroad Scrapbook
By George E. Pitchard
This page was last updated on July 30, 2012.
- Scanned and formatted for electronic publication by Don Strack, beginning in November 2003.
- This information came from the original September 1987 version, along with updates and changed material from later revisions in 1988 and 1989, with additional updates furnished by Mr. Pitchard during correspondence between 2004 and 2007. The distribution of the original unpublished work was extremely limited, being 25 numbered copies for the first edition; with the quantities of later editions being unknown.
- The original work consisted of hundreds of pages photocopied from Mr. Pitchard's carefully typewritten originals, along with photocopied maps and photos, and other source material such as stock certificates and newspaper articles.
- Self-published by Mr. Pitchard in September 1987 (limited to 25 copies); updated in March 1988, November 1989, and November 2003.
- As of early 2003, Mr. Pitchard was no longer actively researching Utah railroading, and no longer accepts correspondence on the subject.
As of June 28, 2011, all of the information contained in George Pitchard's "Utah Railroads Scrapbook" manuscript, as well as his "Newspaper Notes Project," has been fully incorporated in the applicable files for each railroad covered by his research. (Where possible, each citation is being, or has been verified using the Utah Digital Newspapers project.)
Table of Contents (this page)
Introduction and Forward (September 1987, March 1988, and November 1989 editions)
Archive -- A separate index page for summaries completed by George Pitchard in 2004 and 2005.
George Pitchard prepared detailed locomotive rosters, and associated histories, for each of the following railroads.
As with the newspaper research (above), each of George Pitchard's histories and locomotive rosters for individual railroads have been incorporated into the applicable railroad's information at UtahRails.net.
American Fork Railroad (1872-1878)
Bingham Canyon & Camp Floyd Railroad (1872-1881)
Crescent Mining Company's Tramway (1882-1900)
Denver & Rio Grande Western Railway (1881-1889)
Eureka Hill Railway (1907-1937)
Great Salt Lake & Hot Springs Railway (1891-1896)
Little Cottonwood Transportation Company (1910-1924)
New East Tintic Railway (1896-1900)
Newhouse, Copper Gulch & Sevier Lake Railroad (1903-1915)
OSL&UN narrow gauge Garfield Line (1889-1903)
OSL&UN standard gauge (1889-1897)
OSL standard gauge (1897-1959)
Rio Grande Western Railway, 3' gauge (1889-1900) - Standard Gauge (1889-1908)
Saltair Railroad (1891-1892)
Salt Lake & Alta Railroad (1913-1917)
Salt Lake & Eastern Railway (1888-1890)
Salt Lake & Fort Douglas Railway (1883-1897)
Salt Lake & Los Angeles Railway (1892-1916)
Salt Lake & Mercur Railroad (1894-1913)
Salt Lake & Ogden Railway (1896-1917)
Salt Lake, Sevier Valley & Pioche Railroad (1871-1874)
San Pete Valley Railway (1874-1908)
St. John & Ophir Railroad (1912-1938)
Summit County Railroad (1871-1881)
Tooele Valley Railway (1908-1982)
Utah & Nevada Railway (1881-1889)
Utah & Northern Railway (1878-1889)
Utah & Pleasant Valley Railway (1875-1881)
Utah Central Railroad (1897-1908)
Utah Central Railway (1890-1897)
Utah Central Railroad (1869-1881)
Utah Eastern Railroad (1879-1887)
Utah Northern Railroad (1871-1878)
Utah Western Railway (1874-1881)
Utah Western Railway (1889)
Wasatch & Jordan Valley Railroad (1872-1882)