Union Pacific Subsidiaries
Encampment Branch, Wyoming Division
This page was last updated on January 30, 2010.
Saratoga & Encampment Valley Railroad
- Incorporated in May 1928; sucessor to Saratoga & Encampment Railway, completed in 1908
- Walcott (on UP Wyoming mainline 21 miles east of Rawlins) to Encampment, Wyoming (44.4 miles)
- Leased to Union Pacific in 1921
- Controlled by UP in 1928; changed to Saratoga & Encampment Railroad
- Merged with Union Pacific in 1951
UP's Encampment Branch was built by the Saratoga & Encampment Railway in 1906 as a subsidiary of the United Smelters, Railway & Copper Company which built, owned and operated a copper reduction plant at Encampment, Wyoming.
S&ERy was completed in 1908 between Walcott and Encampment, Wyoming, a distance of 44.4 miles. The copper was mined in the nearby Sierra Madre Mountains and was transported to the smelter at Encampment by way of a 16-mile aerial tramway. The copper company went bankrupt in 1908-1910 soon after after the railroad reached Encampment, and the road served the local lumber and ranching industry as an independent company until November 1921 when the line was leased to Union Pacific for operation. The S&ERy owned and operated two steam locomotives, numbered 101 and 102.
UP's lease remained in place until October 1926 when the S&ERy declared bankruptcy. The company was reorganized as the Saratoga & Encampment Valley Railroad in May 1928, at which time UP retired the two S&EVRR locomotives. Union Pacific controlled the new company except for a small percentage of local owners. After 1928 the line was operated using Union Pacific locomotives and crews.
By mid 1951 the local owners had sold their interest to UP and on August 1, 1951 the line was merged with Union Pacific, becoming UP's Encampment Branch.
In November 1987 Union Pacific sold the 24-mile Encampment Branch to Wyoming & Colorado Railroad and short line service between Walcott and Saratoga started on December 19, 1987. In 2003, the Louisana Pacific sawmill at Saratoga closed and Wyoming & Colorado abandoned the line; work to remove the tracks began in June 2007.
Saratoga & Encampment Valley Railroad 4-6-0 -- 2 locomotives
|S&E 101||CRR&B 165||CoG 1321||1905||Baldwin||7904||Apr 1886||Jul 1928|
|S&E 102||CRR&B 145||CoG 1309||1908||Baldwin||7440||Sep 1884||Jul 1928|
|Drive Wheel Diameter: 56 inches|
|Cylinders: 18x24 inches|
|a.||Union Pacific Encampment Branch|
|b.||Saratoga & Encampment Railway 101 and 102 were purchased second-hand from Central Railway of Georgia (built as Central Railroad & Banking of Georgia); S&ERy 101 was purchased in 1906 and S&ERy 102 was purchased in 1908|
|c.||S&ERy 101 and 102 were retired by UP after UP gained control of S&ERy as the new Saratoga & Encampment Valley Railroad in July 1928; both loconotives were sold to Morse Brothers Machinery and Salvage Company|
|d.||S&ERy leased OSL 4-6-0 1502 in 1917-1919|
|e.||UP 4-6-0 1243 was assigned to UP subsidiary Saratoga & Encampment Valley Railroad as early as 1931, and until retirement in 1955.|