Union Pacific E8s and E9s
Index For This Page
This page was last updated on January 3, 2014.
In 1950, Union Pacific received its first E8 locomotives: five cab units numbered 926-930, and five booster units, numbered 926B-930B. These 10 units were the first of an eventual fleet of 115 locomotives (46 E8s and 69 E9s) that became a landmark design for Union Pacific's passenger service. The E8/E9-series locomotives are arguably UP's most famous passenger motive power, heading up most of its passenger trains until 1963, after which they were the road's standard passenger power, until the takeover of nationwide intercity rail passenger service by Amtrak in 1971.
In 1953, more E8s arrived: 12 cab units and 23 booster units. By the end of May 1953, UP had acquired the last of its fleet of 18 E8 cab units and 28 E8 booster units.
Additional units were still needed to fully dieselize all of the road's remaining passenger trains. In October 1953, the road ordered 15 more E8s. These were to be delivered after January 1954. But in November 1953, EMD informed UP that it had improved its entire line of locomotives, which included a change in model designation. In the case of the passenger units, the E8 would become the E9. The major difference with the E9 came in the use of EMD's new 567C engine instead of the earlier 567B engine, and the replacement of the earlier D27 traction motor with the D37 design. The E9 model generated 2,400 horsepower, compared to the E8's 2,250 horsepower.
UP's first E9s were delivered in May and June 1954, numbered 943-947 and 950B-959B. In February 1955, 30 more units were ordered. UP 948-956 and UP 960B-966B were delivered in May and June 1955, with 957-962 and 967B-974B following in September and October of that year.
The need to replace the older diesel passenger power was the motivation for acquiring more E9 locomotives in 1956. Eight E9 cab units (numbered 900-908) and five E9 booster units (900B-904B), all delivered between January and June 1956, using E3 and E6 cab and booster units as direct trade in units.
During the early 1960s, the road again found itself to be in need of more reliable passenger motive power, and the remaining E7 units were traded in on new E9s. In 1961, two E9 cab units arrived, numbered 908 and 909. In December 1962, two more E9 cab units (910 and 911), along with two E9 booster units (910B and 911B) were delivered. A year later, in December 1963, the road's last E9s arrived, when UP 912-914 and UP 912B and 913B were delivered. These later units boosted the total E9 fleet to 35 cab units and 35 booster units.
EMD E8 Deliveries
46 units, including 18 cab units and 28 cabless booster units
EMD E8A -- 18 units
2,250 horsepower; A-A trucks
EMD E8B -- 28 units
2,250 horsepower; A-A trucks
|1953||23||E8B||UP 922B-925B, 931B-949B|
EMD E9 Deliveries
69 units, including 35 cab units and 34 cabless booster units.
EMD E9A -- 35 units
2,400 horsepower; A-1-A trucks
|1961||2||E9A||UP 908, 909|
|1962||2||E9A||UP 910, 911|
EMD E9B -- 34 units
2,400 horsepower; A-1-A trucks
|1962||2||E9B||UP 910B, 911B|
|1963||2||E9B||UP 912B, 913B|
EMD E8 and E9 Retirements
|1968||1||1||E9A||UP 962 (wrecked)|
|1969||24||6||E8A||UP 925, 930, 935, 936, 937, 941|
|13||E8B||UP 924B, 930B, 931B, 936B, 937B, 938B, 939B, 942B, 943B, 945B, 946B, 947B, 949B|
|5||E9A||UP 900, 901, 902, 903, 905|
|1970||7||3||E8B||UP 928B, 929B, 933B|
|4||E9B||UP 900B, 901B, 903B, 904B|
|1971||30||3||E8A||UP 932, 933, 938|
|4||E8B||UP 927B, 940B, 944B, 948B|
|10||E9A||UP 906, 910, 911, 914, 944, 945, 946, 950, 956, 959|
|13||E9B||UP 902B, 910B, 911B, 913B, 950B, 956B, 957B, 959B, 960B, 961B, 962B, 964B, 965B|
|1972||32||6||E8A||UP 926, 927, 929, 934, 940, 942|
|6||E8B||UP 922B, 923B, 925B, 926B, 934B, 935B|
|11||E9A||UP 904, 908, 912, 913, 947, 948, 949, 952, 957, 958, 961|
|9||E9B||UP 912B, 951B, 953B, 954B, 955B, 958B, 966B, 967B, 970B|
|1973||13||2||E8A||UP 931, 939|
|2||E8B||UP 932B, 941B|
|5||E9A||UP 907, 909, 943, 953, 955|
|4||E9B||UP 952B, 963B, 971B, 972B|
|3||E9A||UP 951, 954, 960 (UP 951 reinstated in 1984)|
|4||E9B||UP 968B, 969B, 973B, 974B|
UP 949, 951, 963B
UP 951 was built in June 1955; assigned to UP's passenger trains systemwide until the start of Amtrak in May 1971.
At the start of Amtrak service, Union Pacific kept four E8/9 cab units (UP 928, 951, 954, 960), and four E8/9 booster units (UP 968B, 969B, 973B, 974B) as protection power for Amtrak's San Francisco Zephyr Pioneer trains, as well as for various special trains, such as the company's Old Timer's specials. The remaining E8s and E9s were leased to Amtrak in 1971, and sold in 1972 to either Amtrak of C&NW. The eight were finally retired in 1980, about four years after Amtrak's HEP units began arriving in 1976.
During 1974, UP 951 was repainted and used to pull the Preamble Express, a special train that was to be used in the final planning for a train that would tour the United States during the nation's bicentennial celebration during 1976. Both General Motors and Union Pacific were sponsors of the Preamble Express, and GM wanted a General Motors locomotive to pull the train, so UP arranged for one of its Amtrak protection units to be sent to EMD at La Grange in June 1974 to be repainted red, white and blue, to serve as lead unit on the Preamble Express, which toured the country between August and November 1974. It took over duty pulling the Preamble Express at Omaha on August 11, 1974. The train arrived on Milwaukee Road tracks, and traveled to Denver on BN tracks. The train remained on BN tracks for its tour of Wyoming and Montana, to Butte, where it traveled on UP tracks to Salt Lake City (Stop No. 28 on August 19, 1974). The train remained on UP tracks from Salt Lake City to Boise (Stop No. 29 on August 21, 1974), then on to Hinkle and Spokane where it was handed off to BN. The tour continued through the Northwest, south through California on SP and AT&SF tracks, and east along SP and AT&SF tracks to Kansas City (Stop No. 47). The Preamble Express continued touring Southeast and Eastern cites, still with UP 951 as the lead locomotive, until the tour ended at Baltimore, Maryland in mid November 1974.
UP 951 was returned to UP in December 1974; used on UP's special trains during 1975 and 1976, still in red/white/blue paint scheme; repainted full UP yellow paint in August 1977.
UP 951 was first retired July 31, 1980; reinstated on February 22, 1984 to stand-in on UP's special trains for steam 4-8-4 844 while that locomotive was on display at the New Orleans World's Fair; both generators on UP 951 were damaged during an Operation Lifesaver special, and were replaced using generators from retired SW7/SW9 units; UP 951 was returned to service in September 1984.
UP 949 was originally retired by UP in September 1972 and sold to C&NW, which renumbered it to C&NW 511; sold to METRA, after that agency's takeover of the C&NW Chicago commuter operations; UP acquired the unit (along with an ex UP sleeper) from Kasten Rail Car Services in trade for an ex MP business car "Houston" to have a second E-unit to operate with UP 951 on special passenger trains; arrived at Cheyenne on September 11, 1990.
UP 963B was built as UP 970B; originally retired in June 1972, and leased to Amtrak as 468; sold to Amtrak in November 1973; rebuilt to Amtrak steam generator car 1919, including removal of both diesel engines and all electrical equipment; renumbered later to Amtrak 669; sold to Alaska Railroad; sold to Feather River Rail Society, Portola, California; donated back to UP; arrived at Cheyenne in December 1990.
UP 963B was renumbered from UP 970B on April 20, 1993 while being repainted at VMV upon completion of remanufacture. Although the unit is the former UP 970B, the frame number was misread by a railfan (frame number 2070-B4 vs. 2072-B4) and the unit was widely reported as being originally UP 963B. The frame number was later verified as being 2072-B4, making the unit UP 970B. Without any conflicting numbers on UP at the time, the new number was retained to both simplify records, and to avoid additional costs of unnecessary changing of company records.
UP 949, 951 and 963B (as UP 970B) were sent to VMV Enterprises, Paducah, Kentucky, in June 1992 to be completely remanufactured. The remanufacture effort included a new 16 cylinder 2000-horsepower EMD 645 engine (replacing the original twin 12-cylinder 1,200-horsepower 567 engines), with an AR10 alternator and a GP38-2 design electrical system, completed in late April 1993. (Photos of the rebuilt units included as part of an article in The Streamliner, Volume 8, Number 4, October 1993)
To accommodate a single Model 645 2000 HP engine replacing two Model 567 1200 HP engines, structural changes involved cutting out the center section of the main existing main frame and installing larger, heavier main frame members, the same as on a GP or SD unit. This also allowed the creation of a sump for the new engine and AR10 to sit in (and allowed the use of a high-capacity oil pan), which keeps all fluids that might get spilled or leak contained, where they are routed to the retention tank which was built into one end of the fuel tank.
First trip in regular service was the "Drew Lewis Special" in June 1993.
Retained by UP as part of heritage fleet at Cheyenne, Wyoming, for special service.
Lettered with "Union Pacific" on the nose until about 2000.
SmartStart and cab air conditioning was installed during January 2001.
The nose doors on UP 949 and 951 were welded shut in 2003 to improve grade crossing safety following 6936's grade crossing accident (in late 2000), labels applied saying "No Entrance"; doors and door handles removed in late 2003.
All three units (UP 949, 951, 963B) received a full repaint by Mid America Car in Kansas City in July 2005.
UP 900-914 (E9A; 15 units; in service 1956-1973)
UP 900B-904B (E9B; 5 units; in service 1956-1972)
UP 910B-913B (E9B; 4 units; in service 1962-1972)
UP 925-942 (E8A; 18 units; in service 1950-1980)
UP 922B-949B (E8B; 28 units; in service 1950-1973)
UP 943-962 (E9A; 20 units; in service 1954-1980) (UP 951 still in service)
UP 950B-974B (E9B; 25 units; in service 1954-1980)