UtahRails.net

(This page printed from UtahRails.net, Copyright 2000-2016 Don Strack)

Union Pacific Standard Depots In Utah

Common Standard, non-CS, and others

Index For This Page

This page was last updated on May 2, 2013.

(Return To the Union Pacific In Utah Page)

Standard Depots (late 1880s-1911)

Standard "Pagoda" 14439 Depots (1911-1922)

The following list is based on the research of Brian Burr, received via email dated March 22 and March 28, 2011.

Depot Location Date Completed Dimensions
(in feet)
Plan Notes
American Fork       Not CS design
Beryl        
Black Rock   18x68   With 44-foot extension; shown on LA&SL station map dated 1945
Brigham City       Not CS design
Cache Junction   20x101   Shown on OSL station map dated 1943
Castle Rock   24x50 9018,
9019
 
Clear Lake 1903-1905 24x64   this depot was moved to Delta in the 1950s and was used as an apartment building until 1991, then it was torn down.
Clearfield   30x90   OSL standard
Coalville 1885 20x40 6336,
6337
plus a 30-foot extension (Original depot built circa 1885, 20.3 x 66.3 foot one story frame station; extended 30 feet in 1891.)
Corinne   30x80   Not CS design
Delta 1911 24x110   Built with a 60 foot baggage room, modified in 1920 with the waiting room becoming part of the office and newer mens and ladies waiting rooms built in part of the baggage room.
Devils Slide 1900 20x40 6336,
6337
plus a 30-foot extension (Original depot built circa 1900, 20.4 x 70.4 foot one story frame station; extended 30 feet in 1910.)
Dewey   24x50   Shown on OSL station map dated 1947
Draper        
Echo 1913 24x78   Pagoda 14439 style; moved to Coalville after being retired
Erda       Shown on LA&SL station map dated 1947; dimensions not legible
Fillmore   24x125   Shown on LA&SL station map dated 1949; still near original location, turned end-for-end during move (Telegraph office built circa 1897)
Garfield   24x89   Not a standard design (possibly a WP design); later extended to 119 feet; shown on LA&SL station map dated 1950
Garland   24x94?   Shown on Sanborn fire maps, CS dimensions; shown on OSL station drawing dated 1945
Honeyville   24x57   With 16-foot platform; shown on OSL station map dated 1948; OSL standard design; moved to Corinne, Utah; currently survives at Heber City, Utah
Hyrum        
Lake Point        
Layton   30x88   OSL standard; survives at location about 1/2 mile south, adjacent to UTA Frontrunner Layton station
Lehi       Not CS design
Logan   28x98   Not CS design
Lynndyl 1903 24x80   Shown on LA&SL station map dated 1948. It probably was a reverse plan of the Tintic depot. Both had bay windows on both sides, an unusual feature for CS depots
Mendon       I have only seen a photo of the south end
Modena        
Morgan 1904 24x110?   The freight portion survived until recently and was either demolished or moved to a new location (Replaced in 1926 by stuco depot designed by Underwood; retired in 1972)
Nephi   25x64   Not CS design; shown on undated LA&SL station map
Newhouse 1904 24x64   (Frisco Branch) The Historical Guide to Utah Ghost Towns says that this depot was moved across the valley 5 miles to the west to a ranch.
Oasis       Not CS design; same as Nephi depot; removed in the 1940s
Pallas   26x127   Not CS design; shown on LA&SL station map dated 1948
Payson   20x70   Not CS design; shown on LA&SL station map dated 1941
Peterson 1900 24x64 8867,
8868,
8869
Survives as a residence (replaced original depot built in 1897; frame depot 20 x 75 feet.)
Pleasant Grove   24x80   Shown on LA&SL station map dated 1947
Richmond   24x80   Shown on OSL station map dated 1947
Roy       Retired before July 1946, date of OSL station map showing station site erased
Sandy 1902 24x64   Shown on LA&SL station map dated July 11, 1944 showing depot area to be retired (depot building sold to F. A. Orton)
Smithfield   24x50   later extended to 71 feet with 16-foot platform; this depot survives in Logan, painted in the original colors. (commonly mistaken for the passenger half of the Cache Jct. depot, which was from the pre-Harriman era)
Spanish Fork   24x80   Survives at its track side location
Stockton 1904 24x80   Shown on LA&SL station map dated 1948; moved in 1959 to an unknown location
St. John   24x80   Shown on LA&SL station map dated 1944; burned in 1988
Tintic 1903     It may have been built either as a standard 24x64 depot and later extended, or built to that length. Survives in two halves near its original location.
Tremonton   24x80   Built as 24x80, later extended 24 feet?; moved to nearby empty field by September 1984, no longer there by early 2011.
Trenton 1906 24x88?    
Uintah        
Wahsatch 1917 24x50   Pagoda style depot; mentioned in UPHS Streamliner article (Original depot built circa 1917; 24 x 60 foot one story frame station.)
Wanship        
Warner       (Telegraph office built in 1923)
Wellsville        
Willard   24x48   With 16-foot platform; shown on OSL station map dated 1942
Woods Cross   18x70   Not CS design; shown on OSL station map dated 1948

More Information

Metcalfe, Terry, "UP Common Standard Depots", The Streamliner, Volume 3, Number 2, pages 4-26

Ehernberger, James, "Hanna Depot" (photographs and plans), The Streamliner, Volume 4, Number 4, pages 18-25 (identical to Echo, Utah)

Metcalfe, Terry and Robert Odlund, "Union Pacific 14439 Depots", The Streamliner, Volume 6, Number 4, page 28

Odland, Robert and Terry Metcalfe, photos of Wahsatch depot, The Streamliner, Volume 18, Number 2, page 20

Metcalfe, Terry, "Union Pacific Standard Depots", Union Pacific Modeler, Volume 2, pages 74-87

Salt Lake City Depot

Parkinson and Underwood Depots in Utah

Brigham City Depot

###