Bingham Canyon & Camp Floyd Railroad (1872-1881)
This page was last updated on June 2, 2011.
Bingham Canyon & Camp Floyd was merged with Wasatch & Jordan Valley Railway in April 1879, and the two combined roads were under common control and management with Utah & Pleasant Valley Railway after February 1881.
Control of Utah & Pleasant Valley (through ownership of the road's bonds) was sold to Palmer of D&RGW by September 1881, with rumors of Palmer having financial interest in all three Scofield roads as early as October 1880; the combined W&JV and BC&CF were sold under foreclosure to Palmer on December 31, 1881; Utah & Pleasant Valley was sold under foreclosure to Palmer on June 12, 1882; on June 13, 1882 the first D&RGW train arrived in Salt Lake City.
D&RGW was leased to D&RG for operation on August 1, 1882; all nine locomotives already in service (being the nine former BCC&CF, W&JV and UP&PV engines) were taken into D&RG accounts in April 1883 and to avoid confusion with D&RG's own numbers 1-9, the nine Scofield locomotives were renumbered from their early D&RGW numbers 1-9, to D&RGW 110-118; after just three years they were renumbered back to their earlier D&RGW numbers in 1886 when the D&RG lease was broken; at the same time, D&RG turned over 27 additional locomotives to D&RGW.
Bingham Canyon & Camp Floyd Railroad 0-6-0 -- 4 locomotives
|BC&CF 1||Bingham||Porter||152||Apr 1873||Aug 1873||D&RGW 112||D&RGW 1||Before Sep 1890||1|
|BC&CF 2||Winamuck||Porter||188||Jan 1874||Jan 1874||D&RGW 115||D&RGW 6||Before Nov 1891||2|
|BC&CF 3||Galena||Porter||189||Mar 1874||Mar 1874||D&RGW 117||D&RGW 8||Before Sep 1890||3|
|BC&CF 4||(none)||Porter||207||Sep 1874||Mar 1875||D&RGW 118||D&RGW 9||Before Nov 1891||4|
|a.||All locomotives were 0-6-0, with eight-wheel (two-truck) tenders, built by Porter, Bell & Company, Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania. (Read more about Porter locomotives)|
|b.||Build dates shown above come from Robert Lehmuth's list of Porter locomotives.|
|c.||D&RGW numbers are based on George Pitchard's research.|
|d.||Specifications given here are from Porter Specification Book "B"; and the 1878 3rd Edition of Porter, Bell & Co.'s "Light Locomotives" catalogue.|
|BC&CF 1||36 inches||12x16 inches|
|BC&CF 2||36 inches||12x16 inches|
|BC&CF 3||36 inches||12x16 inches|
|BC&CF 4||33 inches||12x16 inches|
BC&CF number 1, named "Bingham", was built in 1873 as an 0-6-0T as Colorado Central Railroad number 7, diverted and rebuilt by Porter in August 1873 to BC&CF number 1 as an 0-6-0 with two-truck tender; to D&RGW 112 in 1883; to D&RGW 1 in 1886; vacated before September 1, 1890, presumed scrapped.
According to a news item in the Salt Lake Herald of June 16, 1874, name of this engine may have been changed (subsequent to delivery) to "Argenta," since the names as shown on numbers 2 and 3 occur in records before and after June 16, 1874, and BC&CF number 4 will not appear before early 1875. The name change may have been to use a common naming pattern, using the names of prominent on-line mining/smeltering operations, which included "Argenta," "Winamuck," and "Galena."
A twin locomotive to BC&CF number 1 was also built by Porter, Bell & Company (construction number 151) as Colorado Central number 6. Like BC&CF it was rebuilt by Porter to an 0-6-0 with eight-wheel tender and was delivered to American Fork Railroad as their number 1 in early May 1873.
BC&CF number 2, named "Winamuck", was ordered on October 17, 1873 and arrived in Salt Lake City in mid-January of 1874; to D&RGW 115 in 1883; to D&RGW 6 in 1886; vacated before November 1891, presumed scrapped.
George Pitchard found the following in the Porter specifiication book: " to have '8-wheel Tender, duplicate of No. 152.' Lettering on tender tank was to have been 'B. C. & C. F. R. R.' per spec book, which also shows the '& C. F.' struck out."
BC&CF number 3, named "Galena" was built in 1874 and arrived in late March 1874; to D&RGW 117 in 1883; to D&RGW 8 in 1886; vacated before September 1, 1890, presumed scrapped.
George Pitchard found the following in the Porter specifiication book: "This loco originally built for Col(orado) Cent(ral) RR with Saddle Tank & no tender - and altered for B.C.R.R. ..." "Sold Feb'y 3/74 to Bingham Canyon RR. Furnished with W. Air Brake." "Shipped March 16th 1874."
|4.||BC&CF number 4 was built by Porter as a stock locomotive in August of 1874; sold BC&CF, arriving in Salt Lake City sometime around March of 1875; to D&RGW 118 in 1883; to D&RGW 9 in 1886; vacated before November 1891, presumed scrapped.|