UtahRails.net

(This page printed from UtahRails.net, Copyright 2000-2016 Don Strack)

Carbon County Railway Locomotives

This page was last updated on February 27, 2016.

(Return to Carbon County Railway Index Page)

Steam Locomotives

Steam locomotive no. 100 was used to operate the Carbon County Railway beginning in July 1923. It was apparently used along with locomotives rented from D&RGW to move coal from the Columbia coal mine to the interchange with D&RGW at Columbia Junction (also known as East Carbon), a distance of about 4.5 miles.

The expansion to the new Geneva coal mine in Horse Canyon in 1942, and the government funding that came with it, put the steam locomotives out of business.

Road
Number
Wheel
Arrangement
Builder Builder
Number
Builder
Date
Date To
Columbia Steel
Date
Retired
(100) 4-6-0 Rhode Island 2491 Jan 1891 Jun 1923  

General Notes:

a. Columbia Steel Corporation 100 was built in 1891 as Oregon Short Line 1464; renumbered to OSL 616 in 1897; renumbered to OSL 1513 in 1915; retired in June 1923 and sold to Carbon County Railway.
b. Columbia Steel 100 had 19-1/2x24 cylinders and 62 inch drivers.

Diesel Locomotives

Road
Number
Builder
Model
Builder
Date
Builder
Number
Previous
Number
Date To
CBC
Date
Retired
Notes
CBC 262.1 Baldwin VO-1000 Nov 1943 69773   (new) 1958 1
CBC 262.2 Baldwin VO-1000 Nov 1943 69774   (new) 1958 2
CBC 1201 EMD SW9 Mar 1953 17870 DM&IR 11 May 1958 1983 3
CBC 1202 EMD SW9 Mar 1953 17873 DM&IR 14 May 1958 1983 4

General Notes:

a. Carbon County Railway's reporting mark was CBC.
b. CBC 262.1 and 262.2 purchased by (and delivered to) Defense Plant Corporation, sold to US Steel in about 1946 along with Geneva steel plant.
c. CBC 1201 and 1202 were built as Duluth, Missabe & Iron Range Railway 11 and 14; traded to EMD in May 1958 by DM&IR for new SD9 units.
d. CBC 1201 and 1202 each had 248,000 pounds operating weight.
e. Source: Extra 2200 South, DM&IR roster, July/August/September 1971, page 15
f. Source: Extra 2200 South (DM&IR trade in units), October 1968, page 15

(View photos of Carbon County Baldwains and EMD locomotives)

Notes:

1. CBC 262.1 was retired in 1958 and transferred to U. S. Steel's Geneva Works as USS 36 (1st); rebuilt to slug (assigned number 81)
2. CBC 262.2 was retired in 1958 and transferred to U. S. Steel's Geneva Works as USS 37 (1st); rebuilt to slug 80
3. CBC 1201 was retired in 1983 and transferred to U. S. Steel's Geneva Works as USS 43; repainted to Geneva Steel 43; out of service with stacks capped by May 2002; still on property as of February 2007; sold to Larrys Truck Electric; held at Geneva to move the final few rail cars; stored just outside gate as of April 2008 (trackage inside gate removed), moved to UP at Provo in mid June 2008.
4. CBC 1202 was retired in 1983 and transferred to U. S. Steel's Geneva Works as USS 44; repainted to Geneva Steel 44; out of service with stacks capped by May 2002; still on property as of February 2007; sold to Larrys Truck Electric.

###