UtahRails.net

(This page printed from UtahRails.net, Copyright 2000-2016 Don Strack)

Emigration Canyon Railroad Equipment Roster

This page was last updated on June 18, 2016.

(Return to Emigration Canyon Railroad Page)

(Based on the roster published in Swett's "Interurbans of Utah".)

Car Type Builder Year Length Trucks Roof Disposition Notes
No. 1 "Planet" Locomotive ECRR 1907 --- Baldwin Deck Dismantled in 1913 1
No. 2 "Uintah" Locomotive Baldwin Nov 1909 --- Baldwin Deck Sold in 1917 2
Red Butte Closed Passenger Motor Danville 1909 40'6" Brill Railroad Sold in 1917 3
Wanship Closed Passenger Motor Danville 1909 40'6" Brill Railroad Sold in 1917 3
Wasatch Open Passenger Trailer Danville 1909 43'5" --- Canvas Sold in 1917 4
Oquirrh Open Passenger Trailer Danville 1909 43'5" --- Canvas Sold in 1917 4
Uintah Closed Passenger Trailer American 1910 37'0" Brill Arch Sold in 1917 5
Tintic Closed Passenger Trailer American 1910 37'0" Brill Arch Sold in 1917 5
Pinecrest Closed Passenger Motor Niles 1913 47'0" Baldwin Arch Sold in 1917 6
Washakie Closed Passenger Motor Niles 1913 47'0" Baldwin Arch Sold in 1917 6
Pioneer Line Car --- --- --- --- Deck Dismantled in 1917 7

Notes on Cars

1. Car No. 1 "Planet" was originally designated No. 1. It was scrapped in 1913, with trucks, motors and controls going into Washakie.
2. Car No. 2 was built by Baldwin as an improved version of No. 1; Baldwin serial no. 34049; 300 hp; 38-inch wheels. Later received larger cab with room for a freight compartment. Renumbered as No. 1 in 1913. Sold to Tacoma in 1917. (Baldwin builder data from Bob Lehmuth, email dated June 17, 2016)
3. Motors "Red Butte" and "Wanship" were passenger motors with triple-arch windows and wooden bodies.
4. Trailers "Wasatch" and "Oquirrh" were open, double-truck trailers with wood cross seats, a canvas roof supported by a pipe framework, end-entrance, and high platforms.
5. Trailers "Uintah" and "Tintic" were closed trailers, center entrance. Very similar to Denver trailers. Had 48 seats, weighed but 9,000 pounds. Brill 57-D truck (4'6"), 33 inch wheels 7'4" wide, 10'11" high. Upper sashes were stationary, lower sashes dropped into wall pockets. The single wide center entrance (8'2" wide) was protected by curtains of duck. Had both hand and air brakes.
6. Motors "Pinecrest" and "Washakie" were closed passenger motors, with a total weight of 58,000 pounds. Equipped with Baldwin 78-22-A trucks, Westinghouse AMM brakes, Westinghouse 93-A2 motors, HL control, and 48 seats (rattan). The body featured steel sheathing, 5'6" vestibules, 9'0" width, with oak interior finish. "Pinecrest" was entirely new, but "Washakie" received trucks, motors and controls from "Planet."
7. Line Car "Pioneer" was an old Salt Lake City single-truck closed streetcar, converted by ECRR into its line car. Scrapped in 1917.

Rolling Stock

The cars and locomotives of were obtained in four distinct lots.

We have little information on ECRR freight cars other than that fifty flats were on hand at time of dissolution, and the Journal lists four 20' 9" gondolas purchased in 1908. How reliable the Journal is in respect to ECRR is problematical; in both 1909 and 1910 it lists ECRR as ordering Baldwin steeple-cab locomotives, neither of which ever appeared on the property.

Common to all cars: Van Dorn 3/4 couplers, four motors (except Pioneer and trailers), air brakes (except Pioneer), no train doors, , Pullman green with gold trim on exteriors (except No. 1 and 2 which were black).

John W. Dodge recalls that Washington Railway & Electric's 585-599 (later 905-913) were very similar to ECRR's "Red Butte" and "Wanship." Mr. Dodge recollects that after their arrival in Tacoma, the ECRR motors became Tacoma 1-4, while the trailers became 51-54; they were painted orange.

###