Joseph G. Jacobs (1851-1920)
Index For This Page
This page was last updated on October 9, 2016.
J. G. Jacob's Railroads
(Portions of this article were first published in the UtahRail.net blog on May 22, 2013)
Salt Lake & Mercur Railroad
Joseph G. Jacobs came to Utah in 1890, and within four years was planning and building the Salt Lake & Mercur Railroad. The road was placed into service in January 1895, and remained successful as long as the mines at Mercur themselves remained successful. The mines shut down in March 1913, and the railroad held on until the following October 1913. In the intermediate years, the Salt Lake & Mercur purchased a total of six Shay locomotives to operate its steep and winding railroad.
West Side Rapid Transit Co.
In about 1891 or 1892, J. G. Jacobs became involved in the West Side Rapid Transit Co., a single-track street car line along Salt Lake City's Seventh West to "Tenth South" (today's 1300 South), then west across the Jordan River to the Garden City, Brighton, and El Dorado subdivisions. The line extended for seven miles, to about 3800 West.
Copper Belt Railroad
In 1900, Jacobs negotiated a lease of Rio Grande Western's narrow gauge horse tramway in Bingham Canyon, with the intent of rebuilding it as a standard gauge rail line, serving many of the mines in the rapidly growing mining district. Jacobs, together with his associates who owned the Bingham Copper and Gold Mining Company, organized the Copper Belt Railroad, with the planned goal of connecting the mining company's mine at the upper portion of Bingham Canyon in Copper Center Gulch, with the Rio Grande's own Bingham Branch adjacent to the Bingham depot. The Copper Belt went into operation in January 1901, using a Shay locomotive borrowed from Jacobs' SL&M railroad, but soon began receiving new Shay locomotives of its own, eventually owning a total of five Shays. The Copper Belt proved to be so important to Rio Grande's operations serving the Bingham mines, that in January 1905, Denver & Rio Grande purchased the entire railroad and its locomotives.
Salt Lake & Alta Railroad
In 1908, Jacobs had leased the defunct narrow gauge line in Little Cottonwood Canyon from Denver & Rio Grande, with the hopes of rebuilding it to serve the mines being developed at Alta, in the upper reaches of the canyon. The mines were shipping by wagon, and one was using an aerial tramway with its lower terminal at Tanners Flat at about the midpoint of the canyon. Jacobs told the local newspapers that he was going to build a railroad that covered the distance between Sandy and the lower terminal of the aerial tramway at Tanners Flat.
Financial support was hard to find until the state government announced that the new capitol building was to use granite from the quarries in Little Cottonwood Canyon. The schedule for completion meant that a single stone company would not be able to complete the contract on time. To support the schedule, multiple stone companies organized the Utah Consolidated Stone Company, to provide the financial resources to quarry the stone, and to provide the needed personnel and facilities to finish the granite needed for the capitol's exterior. Research has yet to find a direct financial connection between the stone companies and J. G. Jacobs, but very soon after the granite contract was announced, Jacobs organized the Salt Lake & Alta Railroad with himself as the president, and his son Fred as the vice president. By this time, Fred Jacobs was a 33-year-old mining engineer. The senior Jacobs held 3,994 shares of the outstanding 4,000 shares.
The Salt Lake & Alta Railroad was completed and the first stone was shipped in mid November 1913. Shipment of granite blocks, both large and small, continued until the capitol exterior was completed in the fall of 1914. But by that time, granite for the exterior of the LDS church's new administration building was being shipped by Utah Consolidated Stone. This building was under construction between 1914 and 1917, but by September 1915, the granite for all four sides had been placed. One other large building known to have used granite from Little Cottonwood was the D&RG freight depot in Ogden. Started in October 1913, it was completed and opened for business in March 1914.
The last carload of granite for the capitol was shipped in February 1915. The last carload of granite for the church administration building was shipped in September 1915. In March 1916, the stone company announced that due to the completion of the church administration building, it would close its stone finishing plant at Midvale, and its stone yards in Salt Lake City. Without the movement of large blocks of granite to sustain its operation, and only with the minimal shipment of ore from the Alta mines to support its existence, the Salt Lake & Alta shut down its operations. Without any significant income, the railroad was not able to keep up the lease payments to D&RG, and in 1917, Denver & Rio Grande took over the operation of the leased line between Sandy and Wasatch.
November 3, 1850
Joseph Galoway Jacobs was born in Yellow Springs, Greene County, Ohio; his father was Cyrus Jacobs.
September 20, 1876, Jacobs married Una Stewart, daughter of Robert Stewart and Rachel E. Jacoby; they were married in Clifton, Greene County, Ohio.
June 12, 1880
Jacobs and his family (wife Una, daughter Grace, and son Fred) were counted in the 1880 U. S. Census, living in Springfield, Clarke County, Ohio; Jacobs' occupation was shown as "Druggist."
Jacobs moved to Salt Lake City, based on 30 years as the length of time shown on his death certificate, he was in residence in Salt Lake County at the time of his death.
February 20, 1892
J. G. Jacobs is manager of the West Side Rapid Transit Company. (Salt Lake Daily Tribune, February 20, 1892)
Jacobs helped organized the Salt Lake & Mercur Railroad; he is shown as holding 450 shares of the outstanding 20,000 shares, A. A. Noon held 1,000 shares; by 1897, Jacobs held only five shares.
October 5, 1905
J. G. Jacobs sold "an interest" in the Salt Lake & Mercur railroad to L. L. Nunn and his associates. Jacobs had built the railroad in 1895 and had previously been vice president and general manager of the railroad company, but resigned to "take up other work." Jacobs was to remain as the company's corporate secretary and as a director of the company. L. L. Nunn became the president of the railroad. Nunn and his associates owned the Telluride Power Company, which furnished almost all electrical power in Utah. The new general manager of Salt Lake & Mercur was A. D. Smith, formerly with Telluride Power. (Salt Lake Herald, October 5, 1905; June 26, 1908)
(There were rumors that the "other work" Jacobs was to be involved was as a subcontractor to Utah Construction company's building of the Western Pacific railroad between Salt Lake City and Oakland.)
In directories for Salt Lake City for the years 1916, 1917, and 1918, Joseph G. Jacobs was shown as president of Salt Lake & Alta Railroad. The same directories also show a business address for the railroad itself. Newspaper accounts for December 4, 1918 reported that Jacobs' son-in-law, Lieutenant Colonel Sherman White, stationed at Fort Douglas, had been killed in action in France while serving with the Twentieth Infantry. In the 1919 directory, Jacobs was shown with no business position, and a simple residential address. The directory for 1920 revealed that Joseph G. Jacobs passed away on March 24, 1920, at age 69.
January 5, 1920
Counted in the 1920 U. S. Census, on January 5, 1920, shown with his wife Una, and son Fred P. Jacobs and his wife, all in the same household at "857". His occupation was shown as a Promoter of Railroads. By the time of his father's death in March, Fred had moved to the Esther Apartments.
March 24, 1920
Joseph Galoway Jacobs passed away on March 24, 1920, and was buried in the Mount Olivet cemetery on March 27, 1920. His death certificate shows the cause of death as related to cardiac arrest. (His wife, Una Stewart Jacobs, is shown in the 1930 census living with their youngest daughter Dorothy and her family in Glendale, California. She died in June 1943 in San Diego. His son Fred Progue Jacobs continued his occupation as a mining engineer, and passed away on June 13, 1957, at age 77.)
Copper Belt Railroad -- Information about J. G. Jacobs' Shay-operated railroad that served the mines of Bingham Canyon.
Salt Lake & Alta Railroad -- Information about J. G. Jacobs' Shay-operated railroad that served the granite quarries of Little Cottonwood Canyon.
Salt Lake & Mercur Railroad -- Information about J. G. Jacob's Shay-operated railroad that served the gold mines of the Mercur mining district.