UtahRails.net

(This page printed from UtahRails.net, Copyright 2000-2016 Don Strack)

Salt Lake & Utah Railroad, Equipment Roster

Index For This Page

This page was last updated on November 25, 2016.

(Return to Salt Lake & Utah Index Page)

(This is a work in progress; research continues -- large portions taken from "Interurbans of Utah" by Ira Swett, pages 48-62.)

Overview

The Salt Lake & Utah's first equipment were three Hall-Scott gasoline motor cars. These were to open SL&U for public use on January 1, 1914, and after electrification (completed in July 1914) would be kept for use as standby equipment in emergencies.

For passenger equipment, Salt Lake & Utah had motorized cars (601-611), unpowered cars, known as trailers (701 and 702), and unpowered observation cars (751 and 752).

For freight equipment, the road had motorized express cars (801, 802, and 851), and freight locomotives (51, 52, 101-106), along with a fleet of normal freight cars and cabooses.

Gasoline Motor Cars (501, 502, 503)

In October 1913, the purchase was announced of three gasoline motor cars from the Hall-Scott Motor Car Company, of Berkley, California. The three cars were completed in early February 1914 and traveled over the Southern Pacific across California and Nevada, to Ogden, then to Salt Lake City for delivery to Salt Lake & Utah.

The Orem family also owned the Nevada Copper Belt Railroad in western Nevada. In November 1911, the Nevada Copper Belt had taken delivery of a Hall-Scott gasoline motor car, as its no. 21, just the fifth example of the new Hall-Scott design. Impressed by this car's performance, the three cars were ordered for the Salt lake & Utah in October 1913.

These were the 11th, 12th, and 13th cars built by the Hall-Scott company, of a total of 23 cars built by the company.

Equipped with Hall-Scott M-6 gasoline power plant, with 150 horsepower.

The following comes from Stephen Drew's Railroad Motor Cars of Nevada, Part 1:

Hall-Scott had been building motor cars for two years when the Nevada Copper Belt placed an order for its No. 21. Completed in November 1911 as H-S construction number five, the car had engine, baggage, smoking, and general passenger compartments. The wooden carbody was built by the Holman Car Company of San Francisco to Hall-Scott specifications. J. G. Brill Co. of Philadelphia manufactured the trucks.

The car’s six-cylinder Hall-Scott M-6 gasoline engine, with transmission on the rear truck, developed 150 horsepower at 600 rpm. The 54-foot, 36-ton car cost $14,635 f.o.b. Hall-Scott’s shops. Seating capacity of 69 was figured at three friendly passengers per seat on extra-long carseats, with an 18½-inch center aisle. (Nevada Copper Belt no. 21 entered revenue service December 1, 1911.)

The Orem family of Salt Lake City were major NCB stockholders. Their Salt Lake & Utah Railroad was incorporated in October 1912. Following the success of NCB No. 21, the Orems ordered three new Hall-Scott motor cars that were to be the SL&U’s primary motive power and passenger equipment until the line electrified in July 1914.

No. 22 (the former SL&U 503) had a less-glamorous end. When scrappers removed its trucks, engine, and seats in 1947, the carbody remained in Nevada, eventually becoming part of a plumbing-and-heating shop in Carson City. It came to the Nevada State Railroad Museum in 1996. NCB No. 22 was the subject of a 2008 restoration feasibility study commissioned by the Museum. Of 23 gasoline motor cars built by Hall-Scott between 1909 and 1921, NCB No. 22 is the only steel-shelled H-S motor car to survive.

Length was 60 feet. Steel car bodies.

SL&U
Number
Builder Builder
Date
Builder
Number
Date From
Salt Lake & Utah
Notes
501 Hall-Scott Jan 1914 11 1922 1
502 Hall-Scott Jan 1914 12   2
503 Hall-Scott Jan 1914 13 Jul 1915 3
  1. Salt Lake & Utah no. 501 was sold to the Valley & Siletz Railroad in 1922, operating as their no. 10.
  2. Salt Lake & Utah no. 502 was sold to the Lowville & Beaver River Railroad
  3. Salt Lake & Utah no. 503 was sold to the Nevada Copper Belt Railroad in 1915, operating as their no. 22 (identical to their no. 21 car); operated until the road's last day of operations on March 1, 1947; sold to private individuual who removed the trucks and used the body as a storage shed; donated in 1996 to the Nevada State Railroad Museum, Carson City, Nevada.

The following the Friends of Nevada State Railroad Mueum web site:

Nevada Copper Belt Hall-Scott motor car No. 22 is a classic example of self-propelled secondary passenger carrying vehicles that became common in the years preceding the First World War. The car was built by the Hall-Scott Motor Car Company of Berkeley, California, for the Slat Lake & Utah railroad. It was the last in a series of cars numbered 501-503 and delivered in February 1914. Beginning in March, these cars provided the first service on the railroad between Salt Lake City and Provo.

With the beginning of electrified interurban service on the SL & U in July 1915, the Hall-Scott gas powered cars soon became surplus. The Orem family, principal owners of the SL & U, also controlled the Nevada Copper Belt Railroad in western Nevada. The NCB already owned one Hall-Scott motor car, and a smaller Fairbanks-Morse car. SL & U car No. 503 was sold to the NCB to round out the fleet.

On the Copper Belt, Hall-Scott car No. 22 played its roll providing local passenger service, mostly between Mason and the Southern Pacific connection at Wabusca. The NCB finally went out of business in 1947, and sold its equipment off. Shortly before the end, car No. 22 had one last fling, chartered by four railfans for a tour all over the railroad. At the end of the trip, the group purchased sister Hall-Scott car No. 21, preferring it because of its wooden body. Car No. 22 went to scrap. In 1955, the body of Hall-Scott No. 22 was built into a building in Carson City along with Virginia & Truckee McKeen motor car No. 22. Both cars were donated to the Museum in early 1996.

(Visit the Friends of Nevada State Railroad Mueum web site)

Motorized Passenger Cars (601-609)

SL&U cars 601-609 were constructed for approximately steam road conditions, fast speed, multiple unit trains and 750-1500 volts direct current.

Their principal features were (a) light weight with great seating and baggage capacity, (b) great strength from steel plate girders full height of sides, and economical maintenance through the use of standard commercial shapes and plates throughout, which could be quickly repaired or replaced in any railway shop with usual tools.

Cars 601-605 were built in 1914, while similar cars (also built by Niles) 606-609 were built in 1916. All were capable of 60 mph and all were double-end but usually ran combo end first.

601-605 arrived at Ogden on July 3, 1914, along with cars 51, 801 and 802. They were taken to the Bamberger Shops for installation of air and electrical equipment, and on July 9 car 604 was ready for its first run; on its test trip over the SL&O from Ogden to Salt Lake City it had on board such important guests as Mr. W. C. Orem, F. M. Orem, Julian Bamberger and others. The test was very successful. On July 20 the same car introduced electric operation to SL&U rails when it received its official try-out between Salt Lake and Jordan Narrows. Newspapers the next day had this to say of the dark red car: "It was prettily and conveniently equipped -- starting is accomplished with remarkably quick acceleration and entire freedom from jerks or jars." In rapid succession the other four cars were released for service and the SL&U was ready to operate.

Car 603 was one of the SL&U's original passenger motors. In 1921 it was involved in a serious wreck with car 607, being so badly damaged that it was necessary to perform a major rebuilding. In the rebuilding, the car was considerably modified, receiving a baggage compartment much larger than it formerly had. After the rebuilding, its passenger capacity was but 26. It was given the "Red Arrow Freight" paint job, and thereafter was primarily an express car, working with 801, 802, and 851.

The wreck which caused 603's rebuilding occurred at the Utah Gravel spur below Taylorsville on Friday morning, November 13, 1921. Car 603, running as southbound train No. 3, had backed into the spur to make a meet with northbound train No. 2. After 603 took the siding, the conductor threw the switch for the main, but apparently the switch was blocked with snow, for No. 2, running at speed and composed of three cars headed by 607, headed into the spur and crashed head-on into 603. Three SL&U employees were killed (including assistant trainmaster Gentle) and a score of passengers were injured. The ends of both 603 and 607 were badly damaged, but 603 suffered the most, being partially telescoped.

Length over buffers: 61 feet 8 inches
Length main compartment: 31 feet 0 inches
Length smoking compartment: 10 feet 11 inches
Length baggage room: 11 feet 9 inches
Length between posts: 33 inches
Width over all: 9 feet 6 inches
Width at sills: 9 feet 4 inches
Width of seats: 40 inches
Width of aisle: 25 inches
Seating Capacity: 66
Weight complete: 86,000 pounds
Weight car body: 38,392 pounds
Trucks: Baldwin 84-35 AA
Truck wheel base: 7 feet 0 inches
Wheels: 36 inches
Axles: 6 inches
Motors: Four Westinghouse 334-E6, 110 hp.
Brakes: Westinghouse Automatic, dynamotor
Underframe: Steel
Side frames: Plate girders, sills to letter board
Bulkheads: Steel
Roof: Steel carlines, wood and canvas
Roof Interior: Agasote
Couplers: Janney MCB radial, spring buffers
Seats: H&K 199-EE plush and leather
Curtains: Pantasote with Forsyth fixtures
Heaters: 32 electric
Toilet: Dry hopper
Ventilators: Lintern automatic
Lights: Fourteen 96-watt lamps, Alba shades
Doors, sashes & interior linings: Of mahogany and Agasote
Glass: Imperial prismatic outside, leaded cathedral inside, 32 oz. crystal
Cooler, with bubbling cup  
Control: Westinghouse HL

Motorized Passenger Cars (610 and 611)

SL&U 610 and 611 were similar to the UIC's 500 Class. They were the newest of SL&U's passenger motors, and were the only true double-enders (601-609 had controls at rear for back-up purposes only). They saw most of their use on the Magna Branch, for which they were built. They generally resembled the 601s, the most apparent difference from the front being a higher, rounded-corner train door and a belt rail of the same height as the side belt rail; from the side it was much easier to tell the two types apart: the 610s had a Brill 27 MCB-3 truck, whereas the Niles cars had a Baldwin truck. Both used the obsolete (for steel cars, that is) truss rod, and both types were similar mechanically so it was possible for them to train together.

Builder: American Car Company. 1917.
Length: 61 feet 8 inches (over buffers)
Width: 9 feet 4 inches (9 feet 6 inches over grabs)
Height: 13 feet 0 inches (rail to roof)
Weight: 85,892 pounds
Motors: Four Westinghouse 334 (110 hp)
Control: HL
Brakes: Westinghouse AMM
Trucks: Brill 27 MCB-3 (7 feet 0 inches wheel base)
Wheels: 36 inches
Truck Centers: 38 feet 0 inches
Seats: 66

In body design, the Americans were the same as the Niles: a three-compartment car, with a baggage room, smoker, coach sections in that order. A toilet was at the left rear corner, with a longitudinal two-passenger seat opposite it. All the other seats were cross-seats. The smoker seated 16, the coach section 42, and the baggage section had slat seats which could accommodate 8.

610-611 were all-steel except for roofs which were wood and canvas.

Both these cars were ultimately burned. On Christmas Day, 1943, a defective heater started a blaze on 610 at Magna; the front and of the car was badly damaged and the car was taken to Payson where it was in dead storage until abandonment. 611 ran until abandonment, after which it was used as a bunk car by salvage crews. It was accidentally burned at American Fork in 1947.

The passing years brought varying fates to SL&U passenger cars: 601, off trucks in field at Provo; 602, scrapped at Price late in 1946; 603 believed to have been sent to Rock Springs, Wyoming, for use as building; 604, to Rock Springs; 605, retired in 1930; 606, out of service 1938, scrapped at Payson, 1946; 607, to Rock Springs; 608, to Rock Springs; 609, last seen in Lehi, 1946, at D&RGW interchange; 610, scrapped at Payson 1946; 611, burned at American Fork, January 1947;

Trailers (701 and 702)

SL&U operated four passenger trailers: coaches 701 and 702, and coach-observation 751 and 752. These cars were constructed in 1916 by Niles and conformed generally in appearance and construction details to SL&U's Niles passenger motors (with the very apparent omission of the baggage compartment).

These trailers saw quite extensive use down through the years. SL&U was not averse to hauling them behind anything which could get over the road. Hence we note photographs of 701 and 702 training with locomotives, box motors and the 600s.

After abandonment, 701 and 702 were purchased by Kennecott Copper Company and are today being used to transport workers to and from the pits in the diggings in the area of Bingham. One has been considerably rebuilt while the other remains in pretty much its original condition.

Builder: Niles Car Company, 1916.
Type: Steel passenger trail coach
Length: 60 feet 7-1/2 inches
Width: 9 feet 4 inches over sills (9 feet 6 inches over all)
Weight: 55,000 pounds
Seats: 66
Motors: None
Control: None
Brakes: Westinghouse AMM
Trucks: Baldwin
Truck wheel base: 7 feet 0 inches
Wheels: 36 inches
Couplers: Janney MCB radial, spring buff
Seats: H&K 199-EE plush and leather
Heaters: Electric

Observation Cars (751 and 752)

Trailer-observation cars 751 and 752 were purchased to add the final touch of class to SL&U's deluxe passenger trains, "Utah County Limited" (southbound) and "Zion Limited" (northbound). They were the only observation cars on a Utah interurban, and were heavily featured in early-day advertisements.

With the decline in patronage after the automobile came into general use, the observations saw less use. In more recent years, it was an event when both happened to be in service at the same time. Perhaps one reason for SL&U's reluctance to put them on the line was the fact that farmers delighted in throwing off the chairs on the observation platform as the train sped past their farms; this informal gift shop problem was not solved until SL&U arbitrarily removed all seats from the platforms.

After abandonment, 751 was sold to the Bay Area Electric Railroad Association which has used it on excursions, running out of Oakland. 752 became a restaurant at Cedar City.

SL&U 751 was sold to Bay Area Electric Railroad Association in 1949; to Western Railway Museum, Rio Vista Junction, California (same location); equipped with Baldwin 84-30AT trucks

Builder: Niles Car Company, 1916
Type: Steel passenger trailer-observation-coach
Length: 60 feet 7-1/2 inches
Width: 9 feet 4 inches (9 feet 6 inches over all)
Weight: 52,500 pounds
Seats: 62
Motors: None
Control: None
Brakes: Westinghouse AMM
Trucks: Baldwin
Truck wheel base: 7 feet 0 inches
Wheels: 36 inches
Couplers: Janney MCB radial, spring buff.
Seats: H&K 199-EE plush and leather
Heaters: Electric

Express Cars (801, 802, and 851)

Express cars 801 and 802 were good examples of 50-foot express, baggage and freight motor cars for train service and hauling freight cars. They had steel underframes and were sheathed outside with steel. Originally the cars had wood sheathing from belt rail to letter board. Their bodies and roofs were composite wood and steel.

Originally these cars had four windows on each side, and also had a door on each end to permit loading of long objects, such as poles. There was a 6 foot sliding door midway on sides.

Years of rough treatment, including several accidents, resulted in the rebuilding of the cars in 1922. At that time the wood sheathing above the belt rail was replaced by steel and the four side windows were covered. Ends were also rebuilt, with 801 receiving a completely solid front end and 802 getting a train door; rear ends were left open except for the steel framework, giving them a novel appearance.

The cars saw considerable service after their rebuilding. Car 801 was used many times to haul passenger trailers on regular runs while 802 had a wooden platform erected on its roof and became SL&U's line car.

Car 851 was an express trailer greatly similar to 801-802 was built by Niles in 1914 and was numbered SL&U 851. It, too, was steel sheathed below the belt rail and wood above. The 851 was designed for hauling milk, but in the course of its career it hauled almost every imaginable commodity. 40 feet, 0 inches long.

Builder: Niles Car & Mfg. Co., 1914
Type: All steel express motor car
Length over All: 52 feet 0 inches (spring buffers) (851, 40 feet 0 inches)
Length over End Beams: 50 feet 0 inches
Bolster Centers: 28 feet 0 inches
Height, Rail to Sill: 3 feet 6 inches
Height, Sill to Roof: 9 feet 4 inches
Height, Sill to Eves: 7 feet 6 inches
Width over Sheathing: 9 feet 4 inches
Width, Inside: 8 feet 8 inches
Width, Baggage Door: 6 feet 0 inches
Trucks: Baldwin 84-35
Equalizers: Crescent
Journals: 5 inches by 9 inches
Wheels: 36 inches
Truck Wheelbase: 7 feet 0 inches
Motors: Four Westinghouse 334-E-6 (115 hp)
Voltage: 750-1500 DC
Weight of Car Body: 29,000 pounds
Weight on Track: about 38 tons, complete
Brakes: Automatic Air brakes with Dynamotor
Couplers: Janney Radial
Buffing Devices: Gould Radial Spring
Pilots: Steel
Safety Equipment: Standard ICC
Underframe: Six 8-inch 18-pound I-beams, full length

Freight Locomotives

The electric locomotives of the SL&U were of the Baldwin-Westinghouse steel steeple cab type except the first, number 51.

SL&U 51 and 52

No. Builder Year Weight Length Height Width Motors Ratio Trucks Control Brakes Notes
51 Niles 1914 72,000 50'0" --- --- W 334E6 --- B-90-40 --- W Auto. 1.
52 SL&U 1922 --- --- --- --- W 334E6 --- B 90-40 --- W Auto. 2.

Notes:

1. SL&U 51 was wrecked 1915, rebuilt 1922 into number 52.
2. SL&U 52 was wrecked, burned and scrapped 1942.

SL&U was in the freight business almost as soon as it was active in hauling passengers. As soon as the line was opened to Payson, SL&U announced its intention to inaugurate freight service and applied for the necessary franchise amendments wherever necessary. Its number 51, a flat-bed electric locomotive, was delivered at the same time its first passenger cars were received, so it is not difficult to comprehend Mr. Orem's keen interest in freight.

Number 51 was the first electric locomotive to be obtained by SL&U. It was built by the Niles Car Company in 1914, and was a part of the SL&U's original equipment order. It was of the open bed, end cab type. The open bed permitted the carrying of construction, wrecking and other materials when so desired.

The bed was composed of eight 10-inch 40-pound I-beams full length with diagonal and cross framing of steel. The cab was mounted on heavy cast pedestals 19 inches above the floor. On either side of cab was space for carrying rails, poles and long material. The stake pockets along each side were riveted to the steel bed. The cab was of wood, sheathed outside with steel, and the floor underneath the cab was covered with steel. Ends were fitted with pilots, MCB radial couplers, spring buffers, and ICC standard fittings.

The 51 had a short life, however. 1915 saw it involved in a head-on collision with SL&U's steam locomotive number 26 north of Lakeview. It was then stored at Payson, pending rebuilding into number 52.

Locomotive 52 was built at Payson Shops in 1922, using parts of old number 51, plus certain new material. The motor was built of steel, and except for its longer length, compared in appearance quite favorably with the Baldwins. The 52 served well for many years, but in 1942 she met locomotive number 105 on a curve near American Fork and was completely wrecked and gutted by fire (two new men operating without orders were to blame -- both were killed).

SL&U 101-106

SL&U
Number
Builder Builder
Date
Builder
Number
Weight Length Height Width Motors Ratio Trucks Control Brakes Notes
101 Baldwin 1916   100,000 31'2" 12'2" 10'0" W 562 17:60 B RB W HLF W Auto. 1
102 Baldwin 1916   100,000 31'2" 12'2" 10'0" W 562 17:60 B RB W HLF W Auto. 2
103 Baldwin 1919   100,000 31'0" 12'2" 10'0" W 562 17:60 B RB W HLF W Auto. 3
104 Baldwin 1920   100,000 31'2" 12'2" 10'0" W 562 17:60 B RB W HLF W Auto. 4
105 Baldwin 1920   100,000 31'2" 12'2" 10'0" W 562 17:60 B RB W HLF W Auto. 5
106 Baldwin 1930   120,000 36'0" 12'2" 10'0" W 582 17:60 B RB W HLF W Auto. 6

Notes:

1. SL&U 101 was wrecked 1944, scrapped 1947.
2. SL&U 102 was scrapped 1947 from UIC Ogden Shops.
3. SL&U 103 was sold to Canadian Pacific Electric Lines in 1946, numbered as Grand River Railway 232, electric operations ended in October 1961, stored at Preston until moved to CP's Angus Shops in Montreal in September 1963 and scrapped. (see also the Wikipedia page for Grand River Railway)
4. SL&U 104 was sold 1947 to Salt Lake Garfield & Western, numbered as SLG&W 401.
5. SL&U 105 was sold to Canadian Pacific Electric Lines in 1946, numbered as Grand River Railway 234, retired due to a cracked frame prior to the end of electric operations in October 1961, stored at Preston until it was moved to CP's Angus Shops in Montreal in February 1963 and scrapped.
6. SL&U 106 was sold to Canadian Pacific Electric Lines in 1946, numbered as Grand River Railway 230, electric operations ended in October 1961; sold to Cornwall Street Railway Light & Power number 17 in 1962, electric operations shut down on October 9, 1971 after sale of rail lines to Canadian National; displayed at Cornwall, Ontario in front of the Cornwall Transit bus garage at 863 Second Avenue West. (photo in 2003 at RailPictures.net).

SL&U was in the freight business almost as soon as it was active in hauling passengers. As soon as the line was opened to Payson, SL&U announced its intention to inaugurate freight service and applied for the necessary franchise amendments wherever necessary. Its number 51, a flat-bed electric locomotive, was delivered at the same time its first passenger cars were received, so it is not difficult to comprehend Mr. Orem's keen interest in freight.

By 1916 SL&U had bought its first Baldwin-Westinghouse electric locomotive, the 101. It had barely broken in when it was badly damaged in a wreck; happily its twin -- the 102 -- had just been delivered, and the 102 was quickly equipped and placed in service. Similar locomotives 103, 104 and 105 were bought in the next few years, and the last, 106, followed in 1929-1930.

Standard 50-ton Baldwin-Westinghouse steel steeple cab locomotives, built between 1916 and 1920 (see roster). 101 and 102 were scrapped upon abandonment in 1947; 103 and 105 were sold in 1947 to the Lake Erie and Northern - Grand River Railway (Canada); 103 became GR 232, 105 GR 234. 104 was purchased by Saltair and became its 401.

By all odds the finest SL&U locomotive was the 106, built in 1930 by B-W. It arrived just in time to meet the Depression, and SL&U never did finish paying for it, as it still bore the B-W ownership plate at the time of abandonment. It, too, went to the Grand River Railway, becoming GR 230.

Freight Cars

Back about 1924 the Orem Road ordered a number of box cars; upon delivery, it was found that the company was unable to pay for them, so the cars were stored on the Saltair line and before finally being resold, Saltair purchased one and numbered it the 100.

At the time the SL&U opened, it was given credit for owning the following freight cars: 7 wooden box cars; 20 steel gondolas; 8 flat cars; 10 convertible ballast cars

By 1921, the total had grown to: 15 old box cars, 10 new box cars, 50 new gondolas, 20 old gondolas, 4 flat cars, 14 hopper cars, 2 cabooses, plus miscellaneous section cars. These were numbered as follows:

Old box cars: 901, 903-906, 921-923, 925-929, 0914-0916
New box cars: 930-939
Reefers: 951, 952, 954, 955
Flat cars: 1002, 1006-1008
Old gondolas: 1101-1120
New gondolas: 1121-1170
Hoppers: 1251-1261
Cabooses: 23, 24
Line car: 907

The refrigerator cars were to be found anywhere on the interurban network, from Payson to Preston. All three companies owned reefers, and they were all given a wood sign which restricted the car to the interurban lines.

SL&U through the years captured a fair share of transcontinental freight which was turned over to it at Provo by the Utah Railway, Union Pacific or D&RGW for delivery to BRR, WP, Saltair, D&RGW or UP. SL&U participated in all local and transcontinental tariffs.

A good part of SL&U freight moved behind passenger trains, as all of the latter were unfortunately labeled "Mixed". Often the passenger motor would haul a reefer or 3 to 5 cars of coal while on a regular passenger run.

###