UtahRails.net

(This page printed from UtahRails.net, Copyright 2000-2016 Don Strack)

San Pete Valley Railway (1874-1908)

This page was last updated on July 30, 2012.

(Return to San Pete Valley Railway page)

Locomotives

Narrow Gauge

Road
Number
Previous
Number
Wheel
Arrangement
Builder Builder
Number
Builder
Date
Date To
SPV
Cylinders
(inches)
Drivers
(inches)
Weight
(Pounds)
Date
Retired
Notes
1 ML&M 13 2-6-0 Mogul Baldwin 5695 Jun 1881 1 Dec 1881 13x18 41 45,000 (1894) 1
2 C&StL 13 2-6-0 Mogul Baldwin 3178 Mar 1873 Jan 1892 12x16 36 39,000 Mar 1892 2
106 KC 106 2-6-0 Mogul Brooks 801 Oct 1882 Jan 1894 14x18 43 47,800 Apr 1899 3
107 SPV 1 2-6-0 Mogul Baldwin 5695 Jun 1881 (ex SPV 1) 13x18 41 45,000 Apr 1899 4

General Notes:

a. San Pete Valley Railway was completed in May 1882, between Nephi and the coal mines at Wales, 28 miles.

Notes:

1. SPV no. 1 was received about December 1, 1881, ex Minneapolis, Lyndale & Minnetonka No. 13: renumbered in 1894 to S.P.V. No. 107 (see below)
2. SPV no. 2 was received about January 1882, ex Cairo & St. Louis Railroad No. 13; dropped from equipment by March 1892.
3. SPV no. 106 was received on or about January 19, 1894; built as DSP&P No. 40; to Kansas Central No. 13; to Kansas Central No. 106; to SPV 106; sold by SPV in April 1899 to Sumpter Valley Ry, probably No. 5 (1st).
4. SPV no. 107 was renumbered from SPV No. 1 in 1894; sold in April 1899 to Sumpter Valley Ry., probably as No. 6 (1st), later No. 13.

Standard Gauge

Road
Number
Wheel
Arrangement
Builder Builder
Number
Builder
Date
Cylinders
(inches)
Drivers
(inches)
Weight
(Pounds)
Date
Retired
Notes
50 2-8-0 Baldwin 14875 Jun 1896 16x20 38 80,000   1
52 2-8-0 Baldwin 14876 Jun 1896 16x20 38 80,000   2

General Notes:

a. San Pete Valley Railway was converted from 3-foot narrow gauge to standard gauge in July 1896.

Notes:

1. SPV no. 50 was received July 1, 1896, new; to D&RG No. 680, September 9, 1912, renumbered in 1924 to No. 287, scrapped in August 1924.
2. SPV no. 52 was received July 1, 1896, new; to D&RG No. 681, January 19, 1912; renumbered in 1924 to No. 288, scrapped in August 1924.

###