Railroads and Canneries in Syracuse
Index For This Page
This page was last updated on March 24, 2013.
Union Pacific's Syracuse Branch
Rio Grande's Syracuse Branches
Rio Grande's Kaysville depot was in Section 2, T3N, R1W (D&RG Valuation Map)
The cannery of the Syracuse Canning Company was located on the north side of the Union Pacific tracks where they crossed 4000 West. The canning company was organized in 1893 by James T. Walker, D. C. Adams, and others. These other parties included Daniel H. Walker, William S. Cook, Sr., William H. Miller, David Cook, James Warren, Gilbert Parker, John Ross, and William Beazer. The company operated on James Walker's property until a permanent factory could be built. That factory was built on two acres purchased from Walker in December 1898.
James T. Walker sold two acres of land to the Syracuse Canning Company in December 1898. Syracuse Canning Company bought 6.9 more acres in June 1902. Syracuse Canning Company was based in Salt Lake City and H. V. Van Pelt was president. (Davis County Book of Abstracts B, p.86)
In June 1902 the company expanded onto 6.9 more acres at the same location. At the time the company was based in Salt Lake City and H. V. Van Pelt was President.
The cannery business was later sold to D. C. Adams. In July 1918 the company was sold to the Kaysville Canning Company. The cannery was closed and in May 1945 the 8.5 acre site was sold to Willard Bambrough.
Syracuse Canning Company was sold to Kaysville Canning Company in July 1918. (Davis County Book of Abstracts B, p.153)
Kaysville Canning Company sold 8.59 acres, the site of the former Syracuse Canning Company, to Willard Bambrough in May 1945. (Davis County Book of Abstracts 53, Section 8, p. 1, line 25)
The Davis County Canning Company was organized in May 1912 to operate a canning factory located on two and a half acres of land on the south side Union Pacific's tracks where its Syracuse Branch crosses 2000 West, at a siding that the railroad calls Barnes. The canning company began business as a reorganization of the John R. Barnes Company, which was operating a cannery in Kaysville and may have been operating a cannery at the Barnes location.
Original property, 2.5 acres, sold by John R. Barnes Company to the Davis County Canning Company in May 1912. (Davis County Book of Deeds Z, p. 38)
Just two years later the Davis County Canning Company was sold to the Kaysville Canning Company in June 1914. John R. Barnes was president of the Kaysville company.
John R. Barnes Company sold 0.75 acres to the Kaysville Canning Company in April 1914. John R. Barnes was the president of the Kaysville Canning Company. (Davis County Book of Abstracts A, p. 205, and Book 4, p. 91)
Davis County Canning Company was sold to the Kaysville Canning Company in June 1914. (Davis County Book of Abstracts A, p. 205, and Book 4, p. 91)
In September 1964 the Kaysville Canning Company sold a parcel a bit larger than one acre at Barnes to the C. H. Dredge Company.
Kaysville Canning Company sold an additional 1.2 acres to C. H. Dredge Company in September 1964. (Davis County Book of Abstracts A, p. 205, and Book 4, p. 91)
Three months later the canning company sold the remaining almost four acres of its property in Syracuse, at Barnes, to H. J. Barnes, who then resold it to C. H. Dredge.
Kaysville Canning Company sold 3.98 acres to H. J. Barnes in December 1964. (Davis County Book of Abstracts A, p. 205, and Book 4, p. 91)
H. J. Barnes sold the 3.98 acres parcel to C. H. Dredge Company in December 1964. (Davis County Book of Abstracts A, p. 205, and Book 4, p. 91)
West Point Cannery
William H Dalton, of Roy, sold the land to the West Point Canning Company in February 1925. West Point Canning then sold an easement, "as now constructed", to the D&RG in April 1925. (Davis County Book of Abstracts 5, p.175, lines 4 and 26)
In April 1925 the president of the West Point Canning Company was John I. Fisher.
West Point Canning Company went bankrupt and was sold at a Sheriff's sale on January 25, 1936, on the Davis County courthouse steps in Farmington. The high bidder was Ogden State Bank for $20,000.00. They took possession six months later on June 30, 1936. (Davis County Book of Abstracts 5, p.178, line 24, and Book of Deeds L, p.17)
West Point Canning Company's officers were Sirl Davis and Edwin G. Wells and Robert S. Wells, doing business as the Wells Brothers.
Barnes Beet Dump
In September 1923 Martin Gailey's widow sold some land along the north side of UP's Syracuse Branch, at 2000 West, to the Layton Sugar Company and the Interstate Sugar Company so that the sugar companies could build beet dumps at Barnes. The Layton Sugar Company bought Interstate's beet dump in October 1936, after the Interstate company went bankrupt in 1927.
Layton Sugar Company bought land for use as a beet dump along the north side of UP's Syracuse Branch from the wife and children of Martin Gailey in September 1923. At the same time Interstate Sugar Company bought adjacent property from the same individuals for the same purpose. (Davis County Book of Abstracts 4, p.93, and Book of Deeds 1‑D, p. 450)
The former Interstate property was sold by Consolidated Assets to Layton Sugar Company on October 22, 1936, after Interstate's bankruptcy in 1927. (Davis County Book of Abstracts 4, p. 210, and Book of Deeds 1‑O, pp. 46, 130)
Hooper Sugar Factory