UtahRails.net

(This page printed from UtahRails.net, Copyright 2000-2016 Don Strack)

Utah & Northern Railway (1878-1889)

This page was last updated on June 18, 2010.

(Return to Utah & Northern page)

Locomotives

Overview

Utah & Northern Railway was organized in April 1878 by Union Pacific interests to own and operate the bankrupt Utah Northern Railroad. The route was three-feet narrow gauge from Ogden, Utah, north to Garrison, Montana, a total of 466 miles. From Pocatello north into Montana, the route was changed to standard gauge on July 24, 1887. The narrow gauge line north from Ogden to McCammon, Idaho, was replaced in 1890 by a newly constructed standard gauge line.

In 1889, Utah & Northern became part of Oregon Short Line & Utah Northern Railway, which was organized in July 1889 as a consolidation of the original 1881 Oregon Short Line Railway and six other UP-controlled railroads operating in Utah and Idaho.

Much of the following two rosters is based largely on George Pitchard's research, along with other earlier sources including Allen Copeland's early Utah & Northern roster from December 1964.

Later research and published works have been compared with earlier works (both published and unpublished), with later works usually given greater weight.

Roster Listing

Utah & Northern Ry 2-4-0 -- 1 locomotive

U&N
Number
Previous
Number
Builder Builder
Number
Builder
Date
Date
Vacated
Notes
U&N 1 UN 1, "John W. Young" Grant [851] Oct 1871 1880 1

Description:

Drive Wheel Diameter: 48 inches
Cylinders: 9x16 inches

General Notes:

a. Utah & Northern number 1 (1st) was built by the Grant Locomotive Works, of Paterson, New Jersey; no known construction number assigned; builder number 851 is taken from a list compiled Robert Lemuth
b. Tender on Utah Northern 1 (1st) was of a six-wheel type, with one fixed wheelset at the front (having inside bearings), and one ordinary four-wheel truck at the rear.
c.

U&N 1, ex UN 1 "John W. Young", along with U&N 2, ex UN 2, "Utah", was sold in September 1881 to Barrows & Co., a dealer working out of New York City; freight was paid by U&N either to Council Bluffs in October 1881, or to Kansas City in November, for unknown later owner. (September 1881 sale date to Barrows & Co., for $10,000 for both locomotives, and subsequent freight for one locomotive to Council Bluffs in October 1881, and the other to Kansas City in November 1881, from U&N account books for September, October, and November 1881, now part of the U. P. collection at the Nebraska State Historical Society, Lincoln.)

"Two of the oldest narrow gauge Utah and Northern engines were yesterday loaded upon Union Pacific flat cars for shipment east, but were held to await further orders. One of the engines was in the Logan round-house fire and both have been refitted and made quite new in appearance. It is thought that the company has sold them to make place for more powerful engines." (Salt Lake Herald, October 20, 1881, page 8, "Chips" column, lifted from the Ogden Pilot)

Notes:

1.

Utah & Northern number 1 (1st) was built as Utah Northern Railroad number 1 in 1871, named "John W. Young"; to Utah & Northern Railway number 1 (1st) in 1878; vacated before September 1880 and the arrival of Summit County number 2

   

Utah & Northern Ry 2-6-0 -- 1 locomotive

U&N
Number
Previous
Number
Date
To U&N
Builder Builder
Number
Builder
Date
1885 UP System
Number
Date
Vacated
Notes
U&N 1 (2nd) Summit County 2 Sep 1880 Baldwin 3663 Nov 1874 U&N 290 Before 1891 1

General Notes:

a. Utah & Northern number 1 (2nd) was transferred from Summit County Railroad in 1880. (Read more about Summit County Railroad)
b. U&N number 1 (2nd), as U&N 290, was among a total of 19 locomotives either sold or scrapped before 1891. The OSL&UN numbers were: 2, 10, 12, 14, 15, 20, 21, 81, 82, 85, 87, 89, 90, 92, 93, 95, 98, 100 and 290. Based on an accounting journal entry dated December 31, 1891, these 19 OSL&UN narrow gauge locomotives were "dropped from equipment prior to January 1, 1891; scrapped." Contrary to previous reports published in "Rails, Sagebrush and Pine," page 103 (and cited in "American Narrow Gauge Railroads," page 112), this entry helps to document that UP did not sell complete former U&N narrow gauge locomotives for anything less that $2000.00.

Notes:

1.

Utah & Northern number 1 (2nd) was built 1874 as a Baldwin stock locomotive, or for another railroad and not delivered; sold to Summit County Railroad in September 1875, numbered as Summit County number 2; to Utah & Northern number 1 (2nd) in 1880; to U&N 290 in 1885; vacated before 1891, scrapped.

   

Utah & Northern Ry 2-6-0 -- 2 locomotives

U&N
Number
Previous
Number
Builder Builder
Number
Builder
Date
1885 UP System
Number
Date
Vacated
Notes
U&N 2 UN 2, "Utah" Grant   Sep 1872   Sep 1881 1
U&N 3 UN 3, "Idaho" Grant   Sep 1872 (U&N 297) May 1886 2

General Notes:

a. Builder Date, shown above, is derived from either "Date of Trial" or "Date Shipped" dates (whichever is earliest) in builder records.
b. Tenders on the Grant locomotives were of two types - those on engines 1, 2 and 3 were of a six-wheel type, with one fixed wheelset at the front (having inside bearings), and one ordinary four-wheel truck at the rear, while the tenders on Nos. 4 and 5 were of the usual two-truck style. In the June 1, 1885 roster, the tender of the old No. 3 is shown as holding 584 gallons water and 2 tons coal; those of old No. 4 and No. 5 are shown as holding 900 gallons water and 2-1/2 tons of coal. The low capacity of No. 3's tender would seem to indicate it still had its original tender - at least above the frame.
c.

Utah & Northern numbers 1 and 2 were sold in September 1881 to Barrows & Co., a dealer working out of New York City; freight was paid by U&N either to Council Bluffs in October 1881, or to Kansas City in November, for unknown later owner. (September 1881 sale date to Barrows & Co., for $10,000 for both locomotives, and subsequent freight for one locomotive to Council Bluffs in October 1881, and the other to Kansas City in November 1881, from U&N account books for September, October, and November 1881, now part of the U. P. collection at the Nebraska State Historical Society, Lincoln.)

"Two of the oldest narrow gauge Utah and Northern engines were yesterday loaded upon Union Pacific flat cars for shipment east, but were held to await further orders. One of the engines was in the Logan round-house fire and both have been refitted and made quite new in appearance. It is thought that the company has sold them to make place for more powerful engines." (Salt Lake Herald, October 20, 1881, page 8, "Chips" column, lifted from the Ogden Pilot)

Notes:

1

U&N number 2 was built in 1872, named "Utah"; vacated in 1881

2. U&N number 3 was built in 1872, named "Idaho"; to U&N 297 in 1885; dropped from equipment by 1886; although assigned a number in 1885, the UP 1885 annual report did not include U&N 297 in its listing of 10-Wheel locomotives (just two were shown: U&N 285 and 286); by 1885/1886 number 297 was probably already in use as a stationary boiler in the Eagle Rock shops (see Salt Lake Herald, 5 Nov 1885).
   

Utah & Northern Ry 4-6-0 -- 2 locomotives

U&N
Number
Name Previous
Number
Builder Builder
Number
Builder
Date
1885 UP System
Number
Date
Vacated
Notes
U&N 4 Logan UN 4 Grant [1098] Apr 1874 U&N 285 Mar 1886 1
U&N 5 Grant UN 5 Grant [1106] Jun 1874 U&N 286 Mar 1886 2

General Notes:

a. Utah & Northern numbers 4 and 5 were built by the Grant Locomotive Works; no known construction number assigned; builder numbers shown are taken from a list compiled Robert Lemuth
b. Tenders on Utah & Northern numbers 4 and 5 were of the usual two-truck style; Union Pacific's 1885 roster shows the tenders of number 4 and number 5 as holding 900 gallons water and 2-1/2 tons of coal.

Notes:

1. Utah & Northern number 4 was built in 1874, named "Logan"; to Utah & Northern Railway number 4 in 1878; to U&N 285 in 1885; vacated in 1886
2. Utah & Northern number 5 was built in 1874, named "Grant"; to Utah & Northern Railway number 5 in 1878; to U&N 286 in 1885; vacated in 1886
   

Utah & Northern Ry 2-6-0 -- 3 locomotives

U&N
Number
Builder Builder
Number
Builder
Date
1885 UP System
Number
Notes
U&N 6 Baldwin 4425   Sep 1878 U&N 10 1
U&N 7 Baldwin 4429 Sep 1878 U&N 11 2
U&N 8 Baldwin 4430 Sep 1878 U&N 12 3

Description:

Drive Wheel Diameter: 40 inches (later 42 inches)
Cylinders: 12x18 inches

Notes:

1.

Utah & Northern number 6 was built in 1878; to Utah & Northern 10 in 1885; ; to OSL&UN 10 in 1889; vacated before January 1, 1891

2.

Utah & Northern number 7 was built in 1878; to Utah & Nevada Railway number 11 in May 1888; to OSL&UN 11 in 1889; to OSL number 1 in 1897; sold to Sumpter Valley Railway 11 in 1903; to Sumpter Valley 12 in 1906; retired in June 1916 and stored until donated Idaho State University at Pocatello, Idaho, displayed on campus from 1936 to 1942; scrapped.

3. Utah & Northern number 8 was built in 1878; to Utah & Northern 12 in 1885; to OSL&UN 12 in 1889; vacated before January 1, 1891; sold to East Line & Red River number 3
   

Utah & Northern Ry 2-6-0 -- 7 locomotives

U&N
Number
Builder Builder
Number
Builder
Date
1885 UP System
Number
Date
Vacated
Notes
U&N 9 Baldwin 4555 Mar 1879 U&N 13 Nov 1887 1
U&N 10 Baldwin 4558 Mar 1879 U&N 14 Before 1 Jan 1891 2
U&N 11 Baldwin 4559 Mar 1879 U&N 15 Before 1 Jan 1891 3
U&N 12 Baldwin 4561 Mar 1879 U&N 16 Oct 1887 4
U&N 13 Baldwin 4562 Mar 1879 U&N 17 Sep 1888 5
U&N 14 Baldwin 4563 Mar 1879 U&N 18 Jun 1887 6
U&N 15 Baldwin 4564 Mar 1879 U&N 19 Jun 1888 7

Description:

Drive Wheel Diameter: 40 inches (later 42 inches)
Cylinders: 12x18 inches

Notes:

1.

U&N number 9 was built in 1879; to U&N 13 in 1885; to Salt Lake & Fort Douglas Railway number 6 in November 1887; to Utah Central Railway number 6 in 1890; out of service by late 1893, vacated by 1897-1898, likely scrapped due to poor condition

2. U&N 10 was built in 1879; to U&N 14 in 1885; vacated before January 1, 1891
3. U&N 11 was built in 1879; to U&N 15 in 1885; vacated before January 1, 1891
4. U&N 12 was built in 1879; to U&N 16 in 1885; to SL&FD number 3 in October 1887; renumbered to Utah Central Railway number 3 in 1890; out of service by late 1893, vacated by 1897-1898, likely scrapped due to poor condition
5.

U&N 13 was built in 1879; to U&N 17 in 1885; vacated and sold in September 1888 to Salt Lake & Fort Douglas 17, renumbered to SL&FD number 2 by November 15, 1888; to Utah Central Railway number 2 in 1890; out of service by late 1893, vacated by 1897; to Glasgow & Western Exploration Company for their Golconda & Adelaide Railway in late 1898 to early 1899, named "Pearl"; to Nevada Short Line Railroad number 1 in 1914; to Nevada Central Railroad number 6 in 1924; sold for "preservation" in 1938; stored until moved to California State Railroad Museum; restored to its Nevada Short Line appearance. (This is the only known preserved Utah & Northern locomotive.)

6.

U&N 14 was built in 1879; to U&N 18 in 1885; vacated and sold in June 1887 to Coeur d'Alene Railway & Navigation Company number 3; later to Houston, East & West Texas Railway, after which it was owned by a variety of lumber companies (also see Colorado Rail Annual, No. 15, page 68)

7. U&N 15 was built in 1879; to U&N 19 in 1885; vacated and sold in June 1888 to Ilwaco Steam Navigation Company number 1 (later Ilwaco Railway & Navigation Company); vacated and scrapped in 1911
   

Utah & Northern Ry 2-6-0 -- 3 locomotives

U&N
Number
Builder Builder
Number
Builder
Date
1885 UP System
Number
Later
Number
Notes
U&N 16 Baldwin 4964 Feb 1880 U&N 20   1
U&N 17 Baldwin 4966 Feb 1880 U&N 21   2
U&N 18 Baldwin 4967 Feb 1880 U&N 22 Utah & Nevada 5 3

Description:

Drive Wheel Diameter: 40 inches (later 42 inches)
Cylinders: 12x18 inches

General Notes:

a. U&N 21 (ex U&N 17) should not be confused with the later OSL&UN 21. U&N 21 was one of 19 locomotives dropped from equipment before January 1891.

Notes:

1. Utah & Northern 16 was built in 1880; to U&N 20 in 1885; vacated before January 1, 1891
2. Utah & Northern 17 was built in 1880; to U&N 21 in 1885; vacated before January 1, 1891 (U&N 21, ex U&N 17, should not be confused with the later OSL&UN 21. U&N 21 was one of the above mentioned 19 locomotives dropped from equipment before January 1891.)
3. Utah & Northern 18 was built in 1880; to U&N 22 in 1885; to Utah & Nevada Railway number 5 in April 1889; to OSL&UN number 5 in 1889; to OSL number 2 in 1897; vacated in 1902, scrapped
   

Utah & Northern Ry 2-6-0 -- 3 locomotives

U&N
Number
Builder Builder
Number
Builder
Date
1885 UP System
Number
Notes
U&N 19 Baldwin 5121 May 1880 U&N 23 1
U&N 20 Baldwin 5122 May 1880 U&N 24 2
U&N 21 Baldwin 5129 Jun 1880 U&N 25 3

Description:

Drive Wheel Diameter: 40 inches (later 42 inches; 43 inches on Ilwaco)
Cylinders: 12x18 inches

Notes:

1. Utah & Northern 19 was built in 1880; to U&N 23 in 1885; sold February 1888 to Portland & Willamette Valley Railway number 1; after its relatively brief use as Portland & Willamette Valley, the locomotive sat idle for several years before being sold in 1906 to the Ilwaco Railway & Navigation Company number 4; to OWRR&N number N-2 in 1915; to OWRR&N number 2 by 1920; vacated in 1930 following abandonment; sold for scrap to Union Steel & Rail, a Portland salvage company, scrapped in Portland in April 1931, the boiler going to Astoria, Oregon.
2. Utah & Northern 20 was built in 1880; to U&N 24 in 1885; to Salt Lake & Fort Douglas Railway number 8 in August 1888; to Utah Central Railway number 8 in 1890; out of service by late 1893, vacated by 1897-1898, likely scrapped due to poor condition
3. Utah & Northern 21 was built in 1880; to U&N 25 in 1885; to Salt Lake & Fort Douglas Railway number 9 in August 1888; to Utah Central Railway number 9 in 1890; out of service by late 1893, vacated by 1897-1898, likely scrapped due to poor condition
   

Utah & Northern Ry 2-6-0 -- 1 locomotive

U&N
Number
Previous
Number
Date
To U&N
Builder Builder
Number
Builder
Date
1885 UP System
Number
Notes
U&N 22 Summit County 1 Sep 1880 Baldwin 3113 Jan 1873 U&N 2 1

Description:

Drive Wheel Diameter: 36 inches
Cylinders: 12x18 inches

General Notes:

a. Builder Date, shown above, is derived from either "Date of Trial" or "Date Shipped" dates (whichever is earliest) in builder records.
b.

As history for U&N 22 and 1 (ex Summit County 1 and 2), George Pitchard wrote the following:

In September, 1880, the two Summit County engines appear on the Utah & Northern account, both of them appearing as an 'equipment expenditure' for the U&N, at a cost of $5,000 for the both of them.

Summit County Railroad No. 2 was turned over to the Utah & Northern on March 26, 1878, while the U&N was, in fact, still the Utah Northern Railroad. Eventually Summit County No. 2 became Utah & Northern 2nd No. 1, but the exact date is unknown, since U&N's first No. 1, the Grant 2-4-0, is on the property through September of 1881. It is known that Summit County No. 2 operated on the Utah & Northern for some time as SCRR No. 2, and was not officially transferred, apparently, to the U&N until September of 1880. It may be the case that the U&N's original No. 1, being after all a very light 2-4-0 with huge drivers, was out of service and 'retired' for some time prior to its actual sale in September of 1881, perhaps early enough to allow the renumbering of SCRR No. 2 to U&N 2nd No. 1 by September of 1880.

A precedent exists, on a UP-controlled narrow gauge line, for the denumbering of an old, light engine to make way for better power. On the Colorado Central Railroad, where the ancient and underpowered 0-4-0 engines lost their numbers in 1874 and 1875, two of them remaining on the line as late as 1879, identified only by names applied when un-numbered. It's easy to see a similar occurrence on the Utah & Northern in 1880.

U&N 22 as Summit County No. 1, was built Baldwin class number 12D-16, had 11 x 16" cylinders, 36" drivers, and engine weight of 35,000 pounds, and became U & N No. 22, in 1885 renumbered to No. 2, one of four engines in class DF-1.

Both engines were dropped from equipment prior to January 1, 1891, and scrapped.

Allen Copeland's U&N roster shows specifications for Summit County 1 and 2 as 12x18 inch cylinders, 36 inch drivers, 38,100 pounds engine weight, 6,557 pounds tractive effort.

Notes:

1. Utah & Northern 22 was built as Cairo & St. Louis number 8 in January 1873, named "Jonesboro", sale canceled; to Montrose Railroad number 2 in March 27, 1873, canceled the next day; diverted to Summit County Railroad number 1 on March 28, 1873, named "Weber", shipped on April 4, 1873, arrived in Utah on April 22, 1873; to Utah & Northern Railway 22 in September 1880; to Utah & Northern number 2 in 1885; vacated before 1891, scrapped. (Read more about Summit County RR)
   

Utah & Northern Ry 2-6-0 -- 21 locomotives

U&N
Number
Builder Builder
Number
Builder
Date
1885 UP System
Number
Date
Vacated
Later
Number
Notes
U&N 23 Brooks 494 Jan 1881 U&N 80 Sep 1889   1
U&N 24 Brooks 495 Jan 1881 U&N 81 Before 1 Jan 1891   2
U&N 25 Brooks 504 Feb 1881 U&N 82 Before 1 Jan 1891   3
U&N 26 Brooks 505 Feb 1881 U&N 83 1890   4
U&N 27 Brooks 514 Mar 1881 U&N 84 Before Dec 1892   5
U&N 28 Brooks 515 Mar 1881 U&N 85 Before 1 Jan 1891   6
U&N 29 Brooks 520 Apr 1881 U&N 86 31 Dec 1892   7
U&N 30 Brooks 529 Apr 1881 U&N 87 Before 1 Jan 1891   8
U&N 31 Brooks 530 Apr 1881 U&N 88 Before 31 Dec 1892   9
U&N 32 Brooks 536 May 1881 U&N 89 Before 1 Jan 1891   10
U&N 33 Brooks 554 Jul 1881 U&N 90 Before 1 Jan 1891   11
U&N 34 Brooks 559 Jul 1881 U&N 91   OSL 3 12
U&N 35 Brooks 562 Jul 1881 U&N 92 Before 1 Jan 1891   13
U&N 36 Brooks 566 Aug 1881 U&N 93 Before 1 Jan 1891   14
U&N 37 Brooks 567 Aug 1881 U&N 94   WP&Y 52 15
U&N 38 Brooks 579 Sep 1881 U&N 95 Before 1 Jan 1891   16
U&N 39 Brooks 587 Sep 1881 U&N 96 Before 31 Dec 1892   17
U&N 40 Brooks 597 Oct 1881 U&N 97 31 Dec 1892   18
U&N 41 Brooks 605 Nov 1881 U&N 98 Before 1 Jan 1891   19
U&N 42 Brooks 626 Dec 1881 U&N 99 Before 31 Dec 1892   20
U&N 43 Brooks 627 Dec 1881 U&N 100 Before 1 Jan 1891   21

Description:

Drive Wheel Diameter: 41 inches (later 42 inches)
Cylinders: 14x18 inches

General Notes:

a. Photographic research by Dave Johnson suggests that the U&N Brooks 2-6-0s may have spent their whole careers with the Congdon stacks, but the Kansas Central locomotives had a diamond stack at the beginning and at the end. Around 1885/86 the Union Pacific experimented with extended smokeboxes and capped stacks on at least three of the five Kansas Central Brooks 2-6-0 locomotives. Photos of the locomotives on other lines plus a description of the stacks lying behind the Leavenworth roundhouse in the standard gauge days seem to indicate a change back to the as-built set up by the late 1880s. The capped stacks were actually spark arrestors with a covered top and screened slits in the flange of the cap to allow the smoke out. I seem to remember that some of the early Colorado Central locomotives such as the Porters and possibly at least one of the Cooke 2-6-0 locomotives received the same set up for a short time.
b. A group of four Brooks 2-6-0 locomotives on Utah & Northern (U&N 84, 88, 96 and 99) that were off the OSL&UN roster by the end of 1892; one may have been sold to Sumpter Valley Railway as that road's number 3, and another may have been sold to Dolly Varden Mines in British Columbia, but no documentation has yet been found for either sale; at least two were likely scrapped by OSL&UN in the 1891-1892 time frame.

Notes:

1. U&N 23 was built in 1881; to U&N 80 in 1885; vacated in 1889; sold in September 1889 to Oregon Improvement Company, as Colombia & Puget Sound Railroad number 3 (2nd); sold to White Pass & Yukon number 1 (1st) in 1898; to White Pass & Yukon 51 in 1899; rebuilt in 1900 with larger boiler and little resemblance to a Brooks-built 2-6-0; vacated in 1942; stored until 1958; displayed at Whitehorse, Yukon Territory
2. U&N 24 was built in 1881; to U&N 81 in 1885; vacated before January 1, 1891, presumed scrapped.
3. U&N 25 was built in 1881; to U&N 82 in 1885; vacated before January 1, 1891, presumed scrapped.
4. U&N 26 was built in 1881; to U&N 83 in 1885; vacated in 1890; scrapped prior to January 1, 1891 (UP accounting journal entry, dated December 31, 1891; book value of $7310 struck from accounts)
5. U&N 27 was built in 1881; to U&N 84 in 1885; still in service in April 1891 (Salt Lake Tribune, April 2, 1891); no journal entry found for disposition, gone by December 31, 1892.
6. U&N 28 was built in 1881; to U&N 85 in 1885; vacated before January 1, 1891, presumed scrapped.
7. U&N 29 was built in 1881; to U&N 86 in 1885; U&N 86, along with U&N 97 (ex U&N 40) were two of the six 2-6-0 Moguls vacated by the OSL&UN in 1891; both were vacated on December 31, 1891, at a value of $6,700.
8. U&N 30 was built in 1881; to U&N 87 in 1885; vacated before January 1, 1891, presumed scrapped.
9. U&N 31 was built in 1881; to U&N 88 in 1885; on hand on December 31, 1890, no journal entry found for disposition, gone by December 31, 1892.
10. U&N 32 was built in 1881; to U&N 89 in 1885; vacated before January 1, 1891, presumed scrapped.
11. U&N 33 was built in 1881; to U&N 90 in 1885; vacated before January 1, 1891, presumed scrapped.
12. U&N 34 was built in 1881; to U&N 91 in 1885; to OSL&UN 91 in 1889; to OSL 3 in March 1897
13. U&N 35 was built in 1881; to U&N 92 in 1885; vacated before January 1, 1891, presumed scrapped.
14. U&N 36 was built in 1881; to U&N 93 in 1885; vacated before January 1, 1891, presumed scrapped.
15. U&N 37 was built in 1881; to U&N 94 in 1885; vacated in 1889; sold in September 1889 to Oregon Improvement Company, as Colombia & Puget Sound Railroad number 4 (2nd); sold to White Pass & Yukon number 2 (1st) in 1898; to White Pass & Yukon 52 in 1899; rebuilt in 1900 with larger boiler and little resemblance to a Brooks-built 2-6-0; vacated in 1940; stored until 1971; displayed at Skagway, Alaska
16. U&N 38 was built in 1881; to U&N 95 in 1885; vacated before January 1, 1891, presumed scrapped.
17. U&N 39 was built in 1881; to U&N 96 in 1885; still in service, per Salt Lake Tribune, August 19, 1891; no journal entry found for disposition, gone by December 31, 1892.
18. U&N 40 was built in 1881; to U&N 97 in 1885; U&N 97, along with U&N 86 (ex U&N 29) were two of the six 2-6-0 Moguls vacated by the OSL&UN in 1891; both were vacated on December 31, 1891, at a value of $6,700.
19. U&N 41 was built in 1881; to U&N 98 in 1885; vacated before January 1, 1891, presumed scrapped.
20. U&N 42 was built in 1881; to U&N 99 in 1885; on hand on December 31, 1890, no journal entry found for disposition, gone by December 31, 1892.
21. U&N 43 was built in 1881; to U&N 100 in 1885; vacated before January 1, 1891, presumed scrapped.
   

Utah & Northern Ry 2-6-0 -- 1 locomotive

U&N
Number
Builder Builder
Number
Builder
Date
1885 UP System
Number
Notes
U&N 44 Brooks 826 Dec 1882 U&N 101 1

Description:

Drive Wheel Diameter: 41 inches (later 42 inches)
Cylinders: 14x18 inches

General Notes:

a.

U&N 44 was ordered, built and delivered as Kansas Central Railway number 12, diverted upon receipt by parent Union Pacific to Utah & Northern number 44; renumbered to U&N 101 in 1885.

Dave Johnson wrote:

The U&N Brooks were long legged gals built for getting down the line at a fairly good speed. Their longer wheelbase limited them to less sharp curves but allowed for a deeper firebox and better steaming. I have never seen anything about negative qualities on these locomotives and after the U&N and the KC were standard gauged a large number of these locomotives went to new homes where they operated for several years.

From photos it appears the U&N Brooks may have spent their whole careers with the Congdon (sp) stacks, but the KC locomotives had a diamond stack at the beginning and at the end. Around 1885/86 the UP experimented with extended smokeboxes and capped stacks on at least 3 of the 5 KC Brooks 2-6-0 locomotives. Photos of the locomotives on other lines plus a description of the stacks lying behind the Leavenworth roundhouse in the standard gauge days seem to indicate a change back to the as built set up by the late 1880s. The capped stacks were actually spark arrestors with a covered top and screened slits in the flange of the cap to allow the smoke out. I seem to remember that some of the early Colorado Central locomotives such as the Porters and possibly at least one of the Cooke 2-6-0 locomotives received the same set up for a short time.

Notes:

1.

U&N 44 was ordered, built and delivered as Kansas Central Railway 12 in 1882, diverted upon receipt by parent Union Pacific to Utah & Northern 44; to U&N 101 in 1885; transferred in May 1886 to Denver, South Park & Pacific 101, to replace DSP&P Mason "Bogie" 50, destroyed in wreck on U&N on May 12, 1886; to DL&G 101 in 1889; dropped from equipment on December 31, 1891, presumed scrapped.

   

Utah & Northern Ry 0-4-4T -- 1 locomotive

U&N
Number
First
Number
Second
Number
Third
Number
Date
To U&N
Builder Builder
Number
Builder
Date
1885 UP System
Number
Date
Vacated
Notes
U&N 45 AFRR 1 E&P 1 NCRy "Austin" Dec 1882 Mason 461 Mar 1872 U&N 296 Bef Sep 1887 1

Description:

Drive Wheel Diameter: 34 inches (later 42 inches)
Cylinders: 10x15 inches (later 11x15 inches)

General Notes:

a.

U&N 45 was a very unique locomotive. Its lineage has it being built for American Fork Railroad; sold to Eureka & Palisade Railroad in Nevada; sold to Nevada Central Railway; then to Utah & Northern Railway. As history, George Pitchard wrote the following:

Utah & Northern Ry. No. 45 began life as a sort of demonstrator, the first locomotive built by Mason on the single-boiler Fairlie design now so well-known as the "Mason Bogie" locomotive, built in late 1871 to early 1872 with no specific purchaser in mind, simply to demonstrate the principles involved. In April of 1872, it was sold (with an order for a twin) to the American Fork Railroad, to which it was shipped on July 1, 1872, being assigned shop number 461 at that time. It was numbered AFRR No. 1, and named "American Fork" as well. This locomotive being rather light, it was not exactly a stunning success on a railroad having grades of 296 feet per mile (nearly 6 percent), and was offered for sale before the commencement of the second season of operations on the American Fork RR. There were no immediate takers, and the locomotive was not sold until late in 1873, probably December, to the organizers of the Eureka & Palisade RR, in Nevada. After passing through the Central Pacific's shops at Carlin for what appears to have been a refurbishing and repainting, this engine appears on the Eureka & Palisade RR in early 1874 as that road's No. 1, named "Eureka." In 1875, upon the arrival of a new Baldwin 4-4-0 named 'Eureka' (which still exists), the Mason appears to have been renamed "Onward," possibly as a result of someone having seen one or another of the large number of pictures of a 'similar' engine so named, or perhaps as a result of having discovered that name under several layers of paint on the engine.

E. & P. No. 1, by whatever name, was sold in October 1879 to the then-being-built Nevada Central Ry., as its No. 2, named "Austin," which in mid-1881 is renumbered to 2nd No. 3, on account of the arrival of a new Mogul No. 2 from Baldwin; while it may have retained its name "Austin" as the new No. 3, it seems most frequently to be referred to as the "Dinkey" in this period. In December 1882, the "Dinkey" (No. 3) is transferred to the Utah & Northern, to be used 'temporarily' on that road, likely as a switcher; the freight charge of $132.93 is charged to the Utah & Northern's equipment account in December 1882, and the temporary transfer ends up as a permanent thing, and the engine is assigned No. 45 on the U&N. Renumbered in 1885 to number 296, it was vacated in May 1886, and scrapped.

Nevada Central Ry. 2nd No. 3 transferred to Utah & Northern Ry. in December 1882, to be used 'temporarily' (according to the journal entry), but which was retained, and assigned U & N No. 45. The engine was an 0-4-4T "Bogie" built by the Mason Machine Works, Taunton, Mass., construction number 461, 1 Jul 1872, having 10x15" cylinders, 33" drivers, and an engine weight of 14 tons. In 1885, this engine was renumbered to U&N No. 296, with the system roster of June 1, 1885 showing the engine as having 11x15" cylinders, 34" drivers, and engine weight of 29,900 pounds As No. 296, this engine was declared vacant in May 1886, and scrapped.

As late as 2004, George Pitchard's research showed that U&N 45 was NEVER rebuilt from its original 0-4-4T "Bogie" configuration into anything else, including some sort of bizarre 0-4-2T, as is alleged in at least one source that he was aware of.

UP's June 1, 1885 listing of "Locomotives, Snow Plows, Flangers and Passenger and Freight Car Equipment" shows U&N 296 as a member of the "Odd" class, in the number series of 290-299, while the South Park 2-6-6-T locomotives of the similar Mason "Bogie" design were classed as Class D Mogul, and the South Park 2-8-6T Mason locomotives were classed as Class E Consolidation, the rear (or tank) truck not being considered in determining classification.

Notes:

1. Utah & Northern 45 was built on speculation by Mason Locomotive Works by March 1872, named "Onward"; converted from 36 inches gauge to 42 inches gauge for potential sale, not sold and converted back to 36 inches gauge; sold to American Fork Railroad number 1, named "American Fork", in July 1872; failed on AFRR, offered for sale in April 1873; sold to Eureka & Palisade Railroad number 1, named "Eureka", in December 1873, used for construction, out-of-service by May 1875; sold to Nevada Central Railway named "Austin" in October 1879, used for construction, out-of-service in June 1881; loaned (later sold?) to Utah & Northern in December 1882, assigned to switch service at Spring Hill, Montana; vacated by September 1887. (Spring Hill was where the rail line met the Red Rock River, and in 1889 was renamed Lima.)
   

Utah & Northern Ry 2-8-0 -- 6 locomotives

1885 UP System
Number
Builder Builder
Number
Builder
Date
1889 OSL&UN
Number
1890 DL&G
Number
1899 C&S
Number
Notes
U&N 260 Rhode Island 1592 Feb 1886 OSL&UN 260 DL&G 260 C&S 57 1
U&N 261 Rhode Island 1593 Feb 1886 OSL&UN 261 DL&G 261 C&S 58 2
U&N 262 Rhode Island 1594 Mar 1886 OSL&UN 262 DL&G 262 C&S 59 3
U&N 263 Rhode Island 1595 Mar 1886 OSL&UN 263 DL&G 263 C&S 60 4
U&N 264 Rhode Island 1596 Apr 1886 OSL&UN 264 DL&G 264 C&S 61 5
U&N 265 Rhode Island 1597 Apr 1886 OSL&UN 265 DL&G 265 C&S 62 6

Description:

Drive Wheel Diameter: 37 inches
Cylinders: 16x18 inches
Maximum Tractive Effort: 16,620 pounds
Weight on Drivers: 60,200 pounds
Engine Weight: 70,118 pounds

General Notes:

a.

U&N 260-265 were the last new narrow gauge engines acquired by the Utah & Northern, as a group of six large 2-8-0 "Consolidated" engines, built in early 1886 by the Rhode Island Locomotive Works, Providence, Rhode Island.

The May 1886 journal entry for the purchase of these locomotives (Nos. 260-265) is, at first glance, rather odd, since it is for only one locomotive - for which the likely explanation is that with six new locomotives being added, five old ones (Nos. 101, 285, 286, 296 and 297) were struck off, leaving a net of one new locomotive to be entered in the accounts. If the paperwork behind the May 1886 journal entry were ever to come to light, it would show that six new locomotives added, at $6,850.00 each, less five old locomotives vacated, at $6,850.00 each, leaves one new locomotive, at $6,850.00, to be charged in May of 1886.

These locomotives, by far the largest on the Utah & Northern narrow gauge, were acquired primarily for the Butte-Anaconda ore trains,. but also with the haul over Monida Pass in mind; however, with the widening of the line from Butte to Garrison in July of 1886 (and its transfer to the Montana Union), the primary use of these engines became the Monida Pass work. Then, with the widening of the line north of Pocatello in July of 1887, little use for these engines remained on the bit of line still narrow gauge, and most (if not all) of these engines soon found their way to the South Park line in Colorado, to which road the entire class, all six of them, were transferred officially in July 1890.

U&N 260-265 were renumbered to OSL&UN 260-265 in August 1889; the entire class was sold in July 1890 to Denver, Leadville & Gunnison Ry. 260-265; in January 1899 reorganization of UP's colorado roads as the Colorado & Southern Ry., they became C&S Nos. 57-62. C&S No. 60 (formerly U&N 263) donated to Idaho Springs, Colorado, for display in 1941 (and still there), the others having been scrapped, in the 1923-1938 period.

Notes:

1. U&N 260 was built in 1886; to OSL&UN 260 in 1889; to DL&G 260 in 1890; to C&S 57 in 1899; vacated in 1923
2. U&N 261 was built in 1886; to OSL&UN 261 in 1889; to DL&G 261 in 1890; to C&S 58 in 1899; vacated in 1938
3. U&N 262 was built in 1886; to OSL&UN 262 in 1889; to DL&G 262 in 1890; to C&S 59 in 1899; vacated in 1925
4. U&N 263 was built in 1886; to OSL&UN 263 in 1889; to DL&G 263 in 1890; to C&S 60 in 1899; vacated in 1941; displayed at Idaho Springs, Colorado
5. U&N 264 was built in 1886; to OSL&UN 264 in 1889; to DL&G 264 in 1890; to C&S 61 in 1899; vacated in 1930
6. U&N 265 was built in 1886; to OSL&UN 265 in 1889; to DL&G 265 in 1890; to C&S 62 in 1899; vacated in 1927

###