UtahRails.net

(This page printed from UtahRails.net, Copyright 2000-2017 Don Strack)

Utah Eastern Railroad (1879-1887)

This page was last updated on June 24, 2011.

(Return to Utah Eastern page)

Locomotives

Utah Eastern was completed in December 1880; purchased by UP in December 1883 and immediately shut down as competition to UP's paralleling Echo & Park City (formerly the Summit County Railroad). Property of Utah Eastern sold to Echo & Park City in May 1887.

Utah Eastern 2-6-0 -- 1 locomotive

Road
Number
First
Number
Second
Number
Date To
Utah Eastern
Builder Builder
Number
Builder
Date
1885 UP System
Number
Date
Vacated
Notes
UE 1 B&H 2 NC 1 Oct 1880 Brooks 230 May 1875 UE 1 Apr 1891 1

Description:

Drive Wheel Diameter: 38 inches (later 36 inches)
Cylinders: 11x16 inches

General Notes:

a. Utah Eastern no. 1 was built as Bath & Hammondsport Railroad no. 2, named "Jonathan Robie"; sold in September 1879 to Nevada Central Railway no. 1, "Battle Mountain"; to Utah Eastern Railroad no. 1 in October 1880

Notes:

1. Utah Eastern no. 1 retained the same number in the 1885 UP System numbering plan; vacated in April 1891.
   

Utah Eastern 2-8-0 -- 1 locomotive

Road
Number
Builder Builder
Number
Builder
Date
1885 UP System
Number
Date
Vacated
Notes
UE 2 Baldwin 5984 Jan 1882 UE 280 After Dec 1896 1

Description:

Drive Wheel Diameter: 37 inches (later 38 inches)
Cylinders: 14x18 inches

General Notes:

a. Utah Eastern no. 2 was equipped with an Eames vacuum brake, a 20-inch headlight, and a snowplow.
b. Union Pacific took control of Utah Eastern in November 1883 and shut the road down in December of 1883; Utah Eastern no. 2 was transferred from Coalville on August 2, 1884 for use on the Utah & Northern. In the 1885 UP renumbering, it became no. 280, in the "Odd" class. In August of 1886, Union Pacific put air brakes on this engine, and the cost was charged against Utah Eastern's accounts although Utah Eastern was no longer in operation.

Notes:

1. Utah Eastern no. 2 was built in 1882, named "Ontario"; renumbered to Utah Eastern 280 in 1885; carried on the books of Echo & Park City until December 1896, dropped from accounts after December 1896, no further known disposition
   

Utah Eastern 2-6-0 -- 1 locomotive

Road
Number
First
Number
Second
Number
Date To
Utah Eastern
Builder Builder
Number
Builder
Date
1885 UP System
Number
Date
Vacated
Notes
UE 3 M&SV 1 NC 3 Dec 1880 Baldwin 3625 Jul 1874 UE 289 1894 1

Description:

Drive Wheel Diameter: 40 inches (later 42 inches)
Cylinders: 12x16 inches

Notes:

1. Utah Eastern no. 3 was built as Monterey & Salinas Valley Railroad no. 1 in 1874, named "C. S. Abbott"; M&SV was purchased by SP and gauge changed to standard in 1879; sold to Nevada Central Railway no. 3 in December 1879, named "Anson P. Stokes"; to Utah Eastern no. 3 in October 1880, named "General Burton"; to Utah Eastern 289 in the 1885 Union Pacific renumbering; sold to Kirkpatrick Brothers & Collins, railroad contractors, in 1894; sold to Laurel Railway by early October 1914.

Sources

Other than the research of George Pitchard, other sources used include:

###