UtahRails.net

(This page printed from UtahRails.net, Copyright 2000-2016 Don Strack)

Utah Rails Newspaper Items

Index For This Page

This page was last updated on July 6, 2011.

(Return To Utah Railroads Index Page)

(entries after 1900 come from notes taken on January 17, 1983, and on April 11, 1983, while doing research for Parleys Canyon paper; additional information comes from research completed by George Pitchard in the mid 1980s.)

1870s

August 15, 1872
"Local Brevities." "A carload of tents for the Utah, Idaho and Montana Railroad company arrived in Corinne yesterday. This looks like business." (Utah Mining Journal, August 15, 1872)

August 23, 1872
"Local Brevities." "John Young's opinion of the Utah, Idaho and Montana railroad is not flattering. He says the road will never be built, but it is raising h--1 with the bonds of the Utah Northern in the New York market! Which, it is not too much to say, is bad enough for the narrow gauge." (Deseret Evening News, August 26, 1872)

September 22, 1872
"Stock Car. -- The first stock car built in Utah is at the Utah Central depot, where it is just about finished. We hope, by and by, to see all the rolling stock of our railroads home-made. That is an object to be reached in internal development." (Salt Lake Herald, September 22, 1872)

May 29, 1876
A group of railroad men, and others, guests of C. W. Scofield, arrived Saturday evening, the 27th. R. N. Bassett, of the Utah Northern, is among them. They will go to Salt Lake, and expect to be in Utah 10 days or so, looking over the railroads. (Ogden Junction, May 29, 1876)

1880s

December 30, 1882
Article on David Eccles. (Ogden Herald, December 30, 1882)

January 7, 1884
"Moving a Railroad." "Bishop Thomas Taylor, superintendent of the Utah Iron Manufacturing Company, is about to commence the work of removing to Iron City, in this territory, the rails, ties, rolling stock, etc., of the Nevada Central Railroad, which the company he represents recently purchased. The manner of moving the plant will be as follows: the workmen will first move the track and materials in Pioche down to Delmoi's (Delmues) ranch, then they will remove the track from the Bullionville end up to the same place, then all the material will be removed to Iron City. It is the intention at present to take up and relay the track as they go on. Before they arrive halfway to their destination, says the Pioche Record, it is safe to predict that they will give up this method of removing the road." (Salt Lake Evening Chronicle, January 7, 1884)

May 3, 1884
"The railroads throughout Utah, and the city of Salt Lake, adopted standard time on the 1st. The time is twenty-seven minutes faster than Park City time." (Park Mining Record, Park City, May 3, 1884)

May 7, 1887
Item on Utah Midland survey party, in charge of C. W. Reichel. (Park Record, Park City, May 7, 1887)

June 11, 1887
Thomas S. Wigglesworth is the chief engineer of Utah Midland survey parties. (Park Record, Park City, June 11, 1887)

July 20, 1887
Article on Pacific Railway Commission hearings and interviews, held today at the Walker House; John Sharp and many others. (Deseret Evening News, July 20, 1887)(Coverage continues on July 21, 1887)

July 21, 1887
Coverage of the Pacific Railway Commission hearings held in Salt Lake City. Additional coverage on the following day, 22 July. (Salt Lake Daily Herald, July 21, 1887)

July 22, 1887
Surveyors of the Utah Midland Railway are at work in Strawberry Valley. (Deseret Evening News, July 22, 1887)

1890s

June 6, 1890
Item on the Utah, Nevada & California Railroad. (The Home Sentinel, Manti, June 6, 1890)

September 7, 1899
Proposal afoot to build a two-foot gauge line to the Deep Creek mines area; the article notes various of the Maine lines as being successful railroads of that small gauge. (Salt Lake Daily Tribune, September 7, 1899)

1900

March 18, 1900
Pullman has bought the S.P. interest in the sleepers, and will buy the U. P. interest as well. (Salt Lake Daily Tribune, March 18, 1900)

October 28, 1900
"That Tramway Deal," in regard to the Ogden gravel tram-railroad, which has been idle and in storage for years. Stored at Farr West were the cars, rail and the engine. It was sold recently at auction to the Utah Construction Co. for $1,900.00 entire. (Salt Lake Daily Tribune, October 28, 1900)

1927

Highway projects for 1927. (Salt Lake Tribune, January 2, 1927, page 9)

Photos of Bingham open pit copper mine, and first houses in Copperton. (Salt Lake Tribune, January 2, 1927, second page 8)

- 20 pounds of copper per ton of ore
- Utah Copper sold 235,000,000 pounds of copper in 1926, at 7.8 cents per pound
- 400 to 500 tons of copper were processed daily through Utah Copper's mills

Chronology of 1926. (Salt Lake Tribune, January 2, 1927, page 16)

Arthur Curtis James acquired control of Western Pacific, making him the largest individual railroad stockholder in the U. S. (Salt Lake Tribune, January 2, 1927, page 24)

M. E. Singleton and A. B. Apperson bought controlling interest in Utah Idaho Central, making for speculation that due to Apperson's position with D&RG, that D&RG would soon control Utah Idaho Central. (Salt Lake Tribune, January 2, 1927, page 24)

1955

Bids entered for widening of U.S. 40 through Parleys Canyon. (Salt Lake Tribune, July 8, 1955)

Union Pacific to occupy First Security Bank Building (SE corner 400 South and Main Street). (Salt Lake Tribune, July 9, 1955)

Bids entered for widening of U.S. 40 through Parleys Canyon. (Salt Lake Tribune, July 13, 1955)

Union Pacific to open new diesel shop. (Salt Lake Tribune, July 24, 1955)

Union Pacific to open new diesel shop. (Salt Lake Tribune, August 1, 1955)

Union Pacific to open new diesel shop, with photo. (Salt Lake Tribune, August 3, 1955)

D&RGW to retire steam locomotives. (Salt Lake Tribune, August 12, 1955)

Parleys Canyon to close for road work, with map. (Salt Lake Tribune, September 28, 1955)

- Map of closed Parleys Canyon route
- Portion of project for which canyon is being closed will cost $1,101,000.
- Work to be done by Gibbons & Reed

Highway department to study low bid for widening of U.S. 40 through Parleys Canyon. (Salt Lake Tribune, November 23, 1955)

U.S. 40 to be widened through Parleys Canyon, with photo. (Salt Lake Tribune, November 30, 1955)

Union Pacific to expend $38 million on 15 locomotives. (Salt Lake Tribune, December 1, 1955)

Stillman Bridge at mouth of Parleys Canyon closed. (Salt Lake Tribune, December 9, 1955)

Stillman Bridge at mouth of Parleys Canyon closed. (Salt Lake Tribune, December 13, 1955)

1956

Construction of new widened U.S. 40 in Parleys Canyon was ahead of schedule, with photo. (Salt Lake Tribune, January 18, 1956)

Construction of new widened U.S. 40 in Parleys Canyon was half completed, with photo. (Salt Lake Tribune, January 22, 1956)

Salt Lake City objected to a road on the railroad roadbed near the old prison in Sugar House. (Salt Lake Tribune, February 18, 1956)

Union Pacific's Aerotrain. (Salt Lake Tribune, March 5, 1956)

Union Pacific's Aerotrain. (Salt Lake Tribune, March 12, 1956)

Southern Pacific Lucin Cutoff trestle fire, with photo. (Salt Lake Tribune, May 5, 1956)

Construction of new widened U.S. 40 in Parleys Canyon was three-fourths completed, with photo. (Salt Lake Tribune, May 7, 1956)

Southern Pacific Lucin Cutoff trestle fire, with photo. (Salt Lake Tribune, May 6, 1956)

Southern Pacific Lucin Cutoff trestle fire, with photo. (Salt Lake Tribune, May 8, 1956)

Southern Pacific Lucin Cutoff trestle fire, with photo. (Salt Lake Tribune, May 10, 1956)

D&RGW clearing up a wreck at Provo. (Salt Lake Tribune, June 18, 1956)

Southern Pacific Lucin Cutoff fill, with photo. (Salt Lake Tribune, July 22, 1956)

Southern Pacific Lucin Cutoff fill, with photo. (Salt Lake Tribune, July 29, 1956)

Southern Pacific Lucin Cutoff fill, with photo. (Salt Lake Tribune, August 5, 1956)

Southern Pacific Lucin Cutoff fill, with photo. (Salt Lake Tribune, August 12, 1956)

Southern Pacific Lucin Cutoff fill, with photo. (Salt Lake Tribune, August 12, 1956)

Drivers should stay off of the almost completed new highway in Parleys Canyon, with photo. (Salt Lake Tribune, September 26, 1956)

D&RGW opened Salt Lake City diesel shop, with photo. (Salt Lake Tribune, September 30, 1956)

Southern Pacific Lucin Cutoff fill. (Salt Lake Tribune, October 4, 1956)

New highway in Parleys Canyon to open. (Salt Lake Tribune, October 13, 1956)

- Project to open on Friday
- Peter Kiewitt Sons Co., Omaha, Nebraska, is doing the paving
- Road is now entirely paved

Southern Pacific Lucin Cutoff fill, with photo. (Salt Lake Tribune, October 14, 1956)

- Article about conveyor belt for construction of Lucin Cutoff.

Photo of Clark Tank Lines trucks at Phillips 66 plant in Davis County. (Salt Lake Tribune, October 14, 1956)

New highway in Parleys Canyon to open. (Salt Lake Tribune, October 16, 1956)

Southern Pacific Lucin Cutoff fill, with map. (Salt Lake Tribune, October 17, 1956)

New highway in Parleys Canyon to open. (Salt Lake Tribune, October 19, 1956)

New highway in Parleys Canyon to open. (Salt Lake Tribune, October 25, 1956)

New highway in Parleys Canyon to open. (Salt Lake Tribune, November 1, 1956)

Union Pacific's $84,000 expansion. (Salt Lake Tribune, November 6, 1956)

New highway in Parleys Canyon to open. (Salt Lake Tribune, November 8, 1956)

New highway in Parleys Canyon to open. (Salt Lake Tribune, November 10, 1956)

New highway in Parleys Canyon to open. (Salt Lake Tribune, November 14, 1956)

New highway in Parleys Canyon to open. (Salt Lake Tribune, November 16, 1956)

Southern Pacific Lucin Cutoff fill, with photo. (Salt Lake Tribune, November 21, 1956)

Southern Pacific Lucin Cutoff fill, with photo. (Salt Lake Tribune, December 23, 1956)

Southern Pacific Lucin Cutoff fill, with photo. (Salt Lake Tribune, December 28, 1956)

1964

Parleys Canyon detour, with photo. (Salt Lake Tribune, August 2, 1964)

U. S. 40 closed at the mouth of Parleys Canyon. (Salt Lake Tribune, October 4, 1964)

U. S. 40 closed at the mouth of Parleys Canyon. (Salt Lake Tribune, October 11, 1964)

U. S. 40 closed at the mouth of Parleys Canyon. (Salt Lake Tribune, November 20, 1964)

U. S. 40 closed at the mouth of Parleys Canyon, with photo. (Salt Lake Tribune, November 27, 1964)

1966

I-80 opened between 4th West and Parleys canyon on December 23, 1966. (no citation)

1967

Last run of D&RGW Prospector was in May 1967. (no citation)

1970

Parleys Creek in 84-inch conduit. (Salt Lake Tribune, February 28, 1970)

Parleys Canyon highway opened. (Salt Lake Tribune, July 14)

Parleys Canyon highway opened. (Salt Lake Tribune, July 22)

Parleys Canyon highway opened, with photo. (Salt Lake Tribune, July 23)

###