Index For This Page
This page was last updated on January 17, 2022.
Bingham-New Haven Copper & Gold Mining Co.
October 21, 1902
Bingham New Haven Copper & Gold Mining Co. -- Incorporated October 21, 1902, in Utah. Property comprises twenty-six claims, about 130 acres in the Bingham district, Utah. Mine is opened by tunnels and a 900-ft. shaft; total workings, about three miles. Has an aerial tram connecting with the Copper Belt railroad. Equipment also includes electric power and air-compressor, and a 100-ton concentrating mill, the capacity of which is being increased. Controlled by the Utah Metal and Tunnel Co., which company, on June 29, 1916, owned $1,110,695 of the capital stock. (Poor's Manual of Industrials, 1916, page 2306)
The Bingham-New Haven, organized on October 12, 1902, working the Zelnora claim in upper Carr Fork, was reported as having an aerial tramway connecting its mine at the top of Carr Fork, with loading bins on the Copper Belt railroad. In 1912, an agreement was made with Utah Consolidated to allow underground access to Utah Consolidated tunnels, which in turn allowed access to the Utah Consolidated aerial tramway to the International smelter near Tooele. The underground connection was completed in December 1912, and a new smelting contract was signed with the International company in 1913. The action reduced transportation costs by 20 cents per ton. (The Copper Handbook, Volume 11, 1914, page 119)
The new company was controlled by stock ownership by a syndicate of of Eastern investors, notably Louis E. Stoddard of New Haven, Connecticut. The property taken included the Zelnora, Evening Star, and Frisco groups of mining claims. Work commenced immediately in the Frisco tunnel, making progress of 10 feet per day. Within six months the company added the St. Anthony, Vadner and Argentine groups to its holdings.(Salt Lake Telegram, October 17, 1902; Salt Lake Mining Review, October 30, 1902; February 28, 1903)
The Bingham-New Haven Copper & Gold Mining Company property (29 patented claims, 137 acres) was located at the top of Carr Fork, above the Highland Boy. Ore was shipped by way aerial tram down to the upper terminal of the Utah Consolidated aerial tramway to the International smelter near Tooele. Sold on December 1, 1915 to the adjacent Utah Metal and Tunnel Co. to settle potential trespass and encroachment claims. (Salt Lake Mining Review, January 1, 1916, page 61-62)
(The upper terminal of the Bingham-New Haven aerial tram was at the mine's location at the very top of Carr Fork. The aerial tram allowed the Bingham-New Haven mine to transport its ore down to its ore bins located on a spur of the Copper Belt railroad, near the ore bins of the Yampa company. In 1907 the company moved its upper terminal in 1907 from its upper tunnel, to the company's lower tunnel, a distance of 1,200 feet down-canyon. Beginning in late 1912 the underground workings had connected to those of the Utah Consolidated company, and the Bingham-New Haven company began shipping its ore by way of the Utah Consolidated aerial tram to the International smelter on the Tooele side. In 1910 the Utah Consolidated company had completed a new aerial tram from its mine in Carr Fork, up Sapp Gulch and across the ridge to its smelter above Tooele.)
July 12, 1904
Surveying crews had recently completed a survey for the planned Bingham-New Haven aerial tram. Estimates for its construction would soon be available. The route of the tramway was to be 4,500 feet in length and would be constructed between the mine at the top of Carr Fork, and the Copper Belt railroad at the Yampa tunnel. (Salt Lake Telegram, July 12, 1904; July 18, 1904)
July 16, 1904
The Zelnora group was formally turned over to Bingham-New Haven ownership in mid July 1904 by Zelnora H. Hooper for $35,000. The Evening Star group was turned over at the same time by James Crouch and his wife. The Bingham-New Haven company changed both its Manager and its Superintendent at the same time. The company signed a contract with Asarco to furnish 100 tons per day for five years. The first strike of paying ore was made "five months ago." (Salt Lake Telegram, July 16, 1904; July 18, 1904; July 19, 1904; Salt Lake Herald, July 23, 1904)
The Bingham-New Haven mine had recently shipped eight car loads of ore. (Salt Lake Tribune, July 17, 1904)
(Later news reports show that the mine was regularly shipping 50 to 60 tons per day, but had increased to 100 tons by late October. The ore was being shipped by wagon and team at a contracted rate of 75 tons per day.)
January 15, 1905
The Bingham-New Haven company had a new ore bin at the Yampa tunnel, where its ore was loaded from wagons into the cars of the Copper Belt railroad. The work on the ore bin had started in early November. (Salt Lake Tribune, November 6, 1904; January 15, 1905)
February 18, 1905
The Bingham-New Haven was installing a 35-horsepower hoist at a point 2,000 feet into its tunnel, to allow extraction of ore below its tunnel level. The tunnel was reported as being the "old Frisco mine." (Salt Lake Tribune, February 18, 1905; Goodwin's Weekly, March 18, 1905)
May 28, 1905
"Bingham Bulletin: The Bingham-New Haven is to be equipped with an aerial tram during the present season, the contract having been awarded by Manager Doolittle. It will extend from the mine to the ore bins, below the Boston Consolidated, a distance of 4,600 feet, and its cost will be about $25,000. The company has been shipping about seventy-five tons of ore daily all winter, over frightful roads, and this new improvement will cut out the expensive wagon haul and the suspension of shipments through bad weather and bad roads." (Salt Lake Tribune, May 28, 1905; Salt Lake Mining Review, June 15, 1905)
October 10, 1905
The aerial tramway of the Bingham-New Haven company was to be put into operation "this week." The tramway was 4,800 feet long and had a capacity of 200 tons per day. (Salt Lake Tribune, October 10, 1905)
December 31, 1906
"The lower tunnel at the Bingham New Haven, which was started some time ago to tap the vein at a depth of 500 feet lower than the present workings, has now been driven a distance of about 800 feet. The tunnel reached a body of ore hitherto unsuspected. About 75 feet of the tunnel is in ore of good quality." (Salt Lake Herald-Republican, December 31, 1906)
January 12, 1907
While driving the new drift to connect with Utah Consolidated ground, high quality ore was unexpectedly struck. (Salt Lake Telegram, January 12, 1907)
September 3, 1907
"The upper terminal of the Bingham-New Haven company's aerial tramway at Bingham is to be moved from the upper to the lower tunnel workings and when that is done the mine will be handled almost entirely from the lower tunnel, which is located in the bottom of the canyon and at a point so much more convenient that it will be unnecessary for the company to maintain a boarding house and will do away with the hard and expensive task of moving supplies and materials from the bottom of the gulch at the mine, to the upper works. This move on the part of the management means also that the mine has been so well opened at the greater depth and that such connections have been made between the upper and lower workings that it is no longer necessary to operate at all from the high point on the mountain side where the upper tunnel outlet is located. It is only a short distance above the Utah Consolidated company's workings that the lower tunnel of Bingham-New Haven company is located. The change of terminals will effect a great saving in the cost of operation and greatly facilitate mine work particularly in the winter time." (Salt Lake Herald-Republican, September 3, 1907)
September 15, 1907
The Bingham-New Haven company has moved its terminal from its upper portal, to its lower portal. "Bingham Bulletin: The Bingham New Haven company is engaged in changing the upper terminal of its aerial tram from the upper to the lower tunnel and will soon be handling nearly all of its work from the lower level, which is at the bottom of the canyon. This is expected to effect a great saving expense and labor and will eventually result in the company's boarding house being abandoned as there will be no further need for it. The mine has been so well developed and connections made between the lower and upper tunnels so that all operations can now be carried on without using using the upper tunnel outlet at all. The saving will be most noticeable in the winter when the snow is deep around the upper workings far up on the mountain side." (Salt Lake Mining Review, September 15, 1907)
August 15, 1908
The following comes from the August 15, 1908 issue of the Deseret Evening News newspaper.
Without attracting any attention whatever, General Manager Charles H. Doolittle of the Bingham-New Haven Mining company, has resumed production again. The mine, which is in Bingham, ceased shipments of ore last Decomber, when the smelters called on producers to slow down. In the meantime, development work has been going on steadily with the result that the available tonnage in the mine has been very materially increased.
The physical condition of property has never been better than it is now, and neither has the mine ever been quite so well equipped to operate along the lines of economy. In this connection, the opening of the lower transportation tunnel which enters the mountain just above the main works of the Utah Consolidated mine, has had much to do towards lowering costs.
Not only has the necessity of hoisting ore been entirely eliminated, but it is no longer necessary to haul coal and other supplies up a steep and dangerous grade, one that has been responsible for the death of many dumb brutes. In winter, this road was often impassable and greatly handicapped the mining company in making progress. The aerial tramway has been shortened about 1,500 feet, leaving the present length 3,000 feet, to conform to the requirements of the transportation tunnel.
The mine is producing about 100 tons of ore per day, and is brought down from the mouth of the tunnel to the receiving bins located on the Copper Belt railroad track and only a short distance above the new Yampa compressor plant.
April 15, 1909
The General Engineering company of Salt Lake, has been awarded the contract for the erection of the 100-ton mill for the Bingham-New Haven company at Bingham, Utah. The contract calls for the completion of the plant within ninety days." (Salt Lake Mining Review, April 15, 1909)
December 18, 1909
"The Bingham New Haven property at the head of Carr Fork improved its property by the addition of a new 150-ton mill. Through some difficulties encountered on account of the ground on which the mill is situated, it was not started until late this year." (Deseret Evening News, December 18, 1909)
February 25, 1910
Bingham-New Haven was shipping 80 to 90 tons per day of concentrates from its new reduction mill, and another 60 tons per day of crude ore. (Deseret Evening News, February 25, 1910)
April 24, 1910
The Bingham-New Haven was shutting down its mill to make improvements, including removing the jigs and depending solely on tables and vanners to produce its lead and copper concentrates. The mill had a capacity of 100 to 150 tons per day. (Salt Lake Tribune, April 24, 1910)
(The expanded and upgraded mill restarted processing low grade ore in mid July 1910. -- Deseret News, July 25, 1910)
January 25, 1911
There were reported that the Utah Consolidated company was in negotiations to purchase the adjoing Bingham-New Haven company. It was reported that the main Utah Consolidated tunnel, known as the No. 7 Tunnel, could be extended just 275 feet to meet the Bingham-New Haven ground and its rich ore deposits. (Salt Lake Tribune, January 25, 1911) (The rumors were deined by L. E. Stoddard, president of the Bingham-New Haven company. -- Salt Lake Tribune, January 31, 1911)
August 20, 1912
The Bingham-New-Haven company announced that it would make a horizontal "drift" of approximately 900 feet, and a vertical raise upwards to connect with the main tunnel of the Utah Consolidated mine. The new tunnels would take about 60 days to complete, and in the interim, ore was being moved by temporary means between the two company's mines, and by way of the Utah Consolidated aerial tramway to the International smelter near Tooele. This was to fulfill a new smelting contract completed in the previous month that placed the Bingham-New Haven copper and lead ore with the International smelter. (Salt Lake Tribune, July 28, 1912; August 20, 1912)
The following information for the Bingham-New Haven company comes from The Copper Handbook, 1914, page 113.
Property consists of 26 claims, 500 acres, adjoining Utah Consolidated on the southeast, includes the Zelnora mine, near head of Carr Fork. Company is mining two deposits of copper, two of lead and one of complex ore. In 1911, 85,426 tons of ore was shipped.
Development by tunnels with a blind shaft starting 900' from the portal of the lowest tunnel, there being a vertical distance of 1,200 feet between the highest and lowest workings. The 1,030 feet lower tunnel cuts a wide fissure vein, giving assays of about 3 percent copper, 2.3 oz. silver and $2.50 gold per ton. Terminal at the upper tunnel was moved to the lower tunnel, and mine is operated through the latter. Mine has about 3 miles of workings, with an aerial tram connecting with loading bins on the Copper Belt railroad.
Equipment includes electric power and an air compressor. The 80-ton mill was remodeled, 1912, and Isbell vanners installed. The completion of a connection with the main working tunnel of the Utah Consolidated Copper Co. in Dec., 1912, permits shipments over that company's tram line to the Tooele smelter, reducing transportation costs 20 cts. per ton. A new smelting contract made with the International smelter at Tooele in 1913 is expected to greatly increase the company's earnings.
January 15, 1914
All of the copper ore produced by the Bingham-New Haven company was shipped as crude ore to the International smelter by way of the Utah Consolidated aerial tramway. Part of the lead ore was shipped as crude ore in the same manner, and the remaining part of the lead ore was reduced in the company's mill, then shipped by the tramway as concentrate. (Salt Lake Mining Review, January 15, 1914)
September 20, 1915
The Bingham-New Haven company filed suit against the Utah Metal and Tunnel company, charging encroachment and trespass in the Levant Lode, owned by the Bingham-New Haven company. The Utah Metal company's ground at the head of Carr Fork was surrounded on three sides by Bingham-New Haven ground. The Utah Metal company was claiming apex rights of the Levant Lode. (Salt Lake Telegram, September 20, 1915)
October 23, 1915
At a meeting New York City, the majority shareholders and directors of the two companies (Utah Metal and Tunnel company, and Bingham-New Haven Copper and Gold Mining company), reached an out-of-court settlement of the Bingham-New Haven's law suit in which the Utah Metal company was to acquire the shares and ownership of the Bingham-New-Haven company. (Boston Evening Transcript, October 23, 1915; Boston Globe, October 28, 1915)
Utah Metal Mining Company (a consolidation in 1909 of the Bingham Standard and Bingham Central companies) formerly the took control of Bingham-New Haven Copper and Gold Mining Company, as the settlement of a trespass and encroachment, and apex rights disagreement. The Bingham-New Haven property was on 150 acres adjoining the Utah Metal property, and included a reducing mill. (Moody's Manual of Railroads and Corporations, 1922, Volume 2, page 1241)
(Read more about the Utah Metal Mining company; organized in 1909 and reorganized in 1914 as the Utah Metal and Tunnel company; completed the drain tunnel between Carr Fork and Middle Canyon in 1913.)
November 12, 1915
The shareholders of the Utah Metal and Tunnel company voted unanimously to approve the acquisition of the Bingham-New Haven Copper Mining company. (Boston Globe, November 12, 1915)
(Newspapers of the last week of November 1915 reported that the merger and consolidation had just taken place.)
(Photos dating from 1910 and 1915 show the Bingham-New Haven's reduction mill, and upper terminal of the company's aerial tram, under the title of Utah Metal Mining Co. Later photos taken by Utah Copper in 1930 show that many of the Bingham-New-Haven buildings (by this time owned by the Utah Metal Mining company) still in place, including at least one of the towers from the aerial tram.)
(These later photos from 1930 show the surface facilities involved in Utah Copper's negotiations and purchase of water and surface rights from the Utah Metal tunnel in 1936. The area was later used by Utah Copper's 'N' Dump Line.)