Large GE Centercabs
Index For This Page
This page was last updated on November 13, 2010.
Bingham & Garfield Railway number 802, built in 1943, was one of 19 very unique centercab locomotive built by General Electric. It was renumbered to Bingham and Garfield 900 immediately after delivery.
Between 1937 and 1945 General Electric built 19 unique centercab locomotives that were each equipped with two diesel engines, with a cab mounted between the two engines. These locomotives were in response to the growing market for locomotives that could do more work than the then-available diesel yard switchers.
These 19 locomotives were all custom built by General Electric to each customer's special order, with none known to have been built as catalog locomotives. These were all larger than the yard switchers being built by the partnership between GE and American Locomotive Company (Alco) to compete against the rapidly growing market domination by General Motors. The Alco-GE partnership was formed in 1940 but was soon limited to the production of switching locomotives by the War Production Board.
GE built its last large centercab of this midcentury era in August 1945. As the war was ending, GE and Alco designed and started production of the RS-2, a 1500-horsepower road switcher locomotive. The first RS-2 was delivered in October 1946.
Bingham & Garfield Railway was a wholly-owned common carrier subsidiary of Utah Copper Company, which became Kennecott Copper Corporation in 1941. In 1948 Kennecott replaced the mostly steam-powered Bingham & Garfield with the all-electric Copperton Line. The expansion included a new Baldwin road switcher (number 901 delivered in March 1948) and a new Alco-GE RS-2 numbered as Kennecott 902, delivered in November 1949.
|12161||Monongahela Connecting Railroad 150||16 Mar 1937||115T||(2) Cooper Bessemer GN-6 engines||900||1|
|12229||Ford Motor Company 1000||3 Sep 1937||125T||(2) Cooper Bessemer GN-6 engines||1000||2|
|12230||Ford Motor Company 1001||3 Sep 1937||125T||(2) Cooper Bessemer GN-6 engines||1000||3|
|12506||Ford Motor Company 1002||2 Jun 1939||132T||(2) Cooper Bessemer GN-6 engines||1000||4|
|12507||Ford Motor Company 1003||2 Jun 1939||132T||(2) Cooper Bessemer GN-6 engines||1000||5|
|12508||Ford Motor Company 1004||13 Jun 1939||132T||(2) Cooper Bessemer GN-6 engines||1000||6|
|12528||Monongahela Connecting Railroad 160||7 Dec 1939||126T||(2) Cooper Bessemer GN-6 engines||1100||7|
|12529||Monongahela Connecting Railroad 161||12 Dec 1939||126T||(2) Cooper Bessemer GN-6 engines||1100||8|
|12530||Monongahela Connecting Railroad 175||22 Feb 1940||126T||(2) Cooper Bessemer GNL-6 engines||1500||9|
|12531||Monongahela Connecting Railroad 176||9 Apr 1940||126T||(2) Cooper Bessemer GNL-6 engines||1500||10|
|12568||Ford Motor Company 1005||9 Mar 1940||132T||(2) Cooper Bessemer GNL-6 engines||1000||11|
|12569||Ford Motor Company 1006||16 Mar 1940||132T||(2) Cooper Bessemer GNL-6 engines||1000||12|
|12570||Ford Motor Company 1007||29 Mar 1940||132T||(2) Cooper Bessemer GNL-6 engines||1000||13|
|13031||Monongahela Connecting Railroad 110||20 Sep 1941||100T||(2) Cooper Bessemer EN-6 engines||680||14|
|13032||Monongahela Connecting Railroad 111||20 Sep 1941||100T||(2) Cooper Bessemer EN-6 engines||680||15|
|15634||Bingham & Garfield 802||16 Mar 1943||128T||(2) Cooper Bessemer GNL-6STB engines||1000||16|
|27630||National Supply Company 1||20 Feb 1943||100T||(2) Superior PT engines||1000||17|
|27749||Monongahela Connecting Railroad 162||10 Aug 1945||128T||(2) Cooper Bessemer GS-6 engines||1100||18|
|27750||Monongahela Connecting Railroad 163||23 Aug 1945||128T||(2) Cooper Bessemer GS-6 engines||1100||19|
- Roster listing furnished by Allen Copeland.
- The Ford Motor Company units were sold to a scrap dealer, then at an unknown later date were sold to Wellsville, Addison and Galeton Railroad; Ford number 1005 was not sold to WAG, and was said to have been used as by the same scrap dealer as an in-house switcher for another 20 years, until the 1970s. (information from Ray Grabowski, Jr., President, Lake Shore Railway Historical Society, via email dated November 7, 2010)
- Mon Conn 150 was rebuilt to slug S150
- Ford Motor 1000 was sold to Wellsville, Addison and Galeton Railroad 1200
- Ford Motor 1001 was sold to Wellsville, Addison and Galeton Railroad 1300
- Ford Motor 1002 was sold to Wellsville, Addison and Galeton Railroad 1800
- Ford Motor 1003 was sold to Wellsville, Addison and Galeton Railroad 1400
- Ford Motor 1004 was sold to Wellsville, Addison and Galeton Railroad 1600
- Mon Conn 160 was rebuilt to slug S160
- Mon Conn 161 was rebuilt to slug S161
- Mon Conn 175 was rebuilt to slug S175
- Mon Conn 176 was rebuilt to slug S176
- Ford Motor 1005 was used for 20 years by the scrap dealer that bought all of the ex Ford units; later scrapped
- Ford Motor 1006 was sold to Wellsville, Addison and Galeton Railroad 1700; preserved and displayed at Lake Shore Railway Historical Society Museum in the town of North East, Pennsylvania
- Ford Motor 1007 was sold to Wellsville, Addison and Galeton Railroad 1500
- Mon Conn 110 was sold to Cuyahoga Valley 110; later USSteel number 2606 at Lorain, Ohio
- Mon Conn 111 was sold to Oregon, Pacific & Eastern Railway number 11
- Bingham & Garfield Railway number 802 was renumbered to B&G number 900 upon delivery at Magna, Utah; retired in the late 1960s; the frame and engine blocks remained at Magna as late as 1972
- National Supply number 1 remained at Ambridge, Pennsylvania after a name change to Armco Steel; later to Silcott
- Mon Conn 162 was rebuilt to slug S162
- Mon Conn 163 was rebuilt to slug S163