Steam Dummies In Utah
Index For This Page
This page was last updated on March 12, 2016.
A steam "dummy" was a small steam locomotive used by streetcar companies in the days before they were electrified. More properly known as Steam Motors, these small locomotives usually had wheel arrangements of 0-4-2, with their water tanks on the same frame as the locomotive drive wheels. They also had enclosed wooden bodies that made them look like regular streetcars, which explains why they were usually known as "steam dummies."
Great Salt Lake & Hot Springs Railway
"The name selected for Bamberger’s local railroad was “The Great Salt Lake & Hot Springs Railway,” and it had as its first goal a popular resort four miles north of Salt Lake City known as “Beck’s Hot Springs”. As soon as rail was down to the Springs the company announced start of service to that point. Those first little trains would have gladdened the heart of a Brooklynite, for they were almost exact duplicates of those then operating on the elevated railways of that Eastern community. The steam dummy engines, purchased new from Baldwin, were from Brooklyn plans -- while the cars (long, narrow, wood, double-trucked) were purchased second-hand from the Brooklyn Rapid Transit Company. The little steam engines, although quite light, made good time and in a short while the Great Salt Lake & Hot Springs Railway was carrying a sizeable number of people to the resort." (Ira Swett, Interurbans of Utah)
"Those steamers were of the familiar dummy type -- a wooden car body completely enclosing the boiler and cab. The dummies were built by Baldwin Locomotive Works of Philadelphia, and were similar to those operated by the Brooklyn Elevated Railroad of that era. They were of the 0-4-2 wheel arrangement with water and coal being carried on the locomotive itself. Although small and light, the dummies were efficient and made fairly high speed." (Ira Swett, Interurbans of Utah)
Great Salt Lake & Hot Springs had at least three steam motors.
Ogden City Railway
Ogden City Railway had five steam motors, purchased between April 1889 and November 1890. All were sold when the company converted to electric operation less than a year after the dummies were delivered.
Ogden & Hot Springs Railway
Ogden & Hot Springs was closely affiliated with Ogden City Railway, then with Ogden City Street Railway, which was the electrified version of the earlier steam-powered Ogden City Railway. The Ogden & Hot Springs was a suburban line and remained steam powered until its successor, Ogden & Northwestern, was electrified in 1907.
"ORIGINAL BRIGHAM LINE: At this point it is pertinent to bring in the history of the original line between Ogden and Brigham. On December 9, 1890, the Ogden and Hot Springs Railway and Health Resort Company received a franchise for a railway from the north end of Washington Ave. to North Ogden, thence north and west to Hot Springs. The line was built and operated by steam dummy power. The Ogden and Northwestern Railroad Company was incorporated on October 3, 1903, and purchased the older company. The O&NW was an Eccles company and electrification took place about 1907, when the O&NW extended the line from Hot Springs to Brigham, seven miles. On June 22, 1911, O&NW conveyed the line to ORT, which operated it until absorbed into OL&I." (Ira Swett, Interurbans of Utah)
"PLAIN CITY LINE: This was built as an O&NW branch. The franchise was granted on March 8, 1909 for a line from the north city limits of Ogden through Harrisville, Farr West to Plain City for the “operation of a steam railroad.” $48,000 was spent by the Eccles interests in 1909 in building the line. A 15-ton Baldwin steam dummy was the motive power, and the passengers rode in a 200 Class wood trailer. In 1916 this branch was electrified, and in 1918 it was extended to Warren at a cost of $5,000 per mile." (Ira Swett, Interurbans of Utah)
Provo Street Railroad
Provo Street Railroad had two steam motors. A small version, known as "Little Kate," and a larger version.
|Builder||C/N||Date||Gauge||Cyl||Dr||Whl Arr||Fuel||Builder Class||Owner & #||Notes|
|Baldwin||9955||Apr 1889||Std||8"x12"||38"||0-4-2T||Co/HC||6-10 1/3C-25||Ogden City Ry #2||1|
|Baldwin||10442||May 1889||Std||10"x14"||35"||0-4-2T||Co/HC||6-14 1/3C-63||Ogden City Ry #10||2|
|Baldwin||10950||Jun 1890||Std||10"x14"||35"||0-4-2T||Co/HC||6-14 1/3C-68||Ogden City Ry #100||3|
|Baldwin||10951||Jun 1890||Std||10"x14"||35"||0-4-2T||Co/HC||6-14 1/3C-69||Ogden City Ry #101||4|
|Baldwin||11336||Nov 1890||Std||10"x14"||35"||0-4-2T||Co||6-14 1/3C-70||Ogden City Ry #6||5|
|Baldwin||11337||Nov 1890||Std||10"x14"||35"||0-4-2T||Co||6-14 1/3C-72||Provo City Ry #8||6|
|Baldwin||12011||Jul 1891||Std||10"x14"||35"||0-4-2T||Co||6-14 1/3C-73||Great Salt Lake & Hot Springs #3||7|
|Porter||3000||Mar 1904||Std||12"x18"||0-4-4T||4BRSS||Ogden & North Western #5||8|
- Fuel Type: "Co" = Coke; "HC" = Hard Coal
- Another Ogden City Ry. #10 was a Shay (Lima #295, July 1890)
- On December 23, 1890, the entire road, property and equipment of Ogden City Railway was sold at auction. The amount of the sale was $80,000, which was the same amount needed to requip the road with electric power and cars. The first electric car ran on September 25, 1891, although four new electric cars had been delivered on February 4, 1891.
- According to SteamLocomotive.com, after Ogden City Railway was bankrupt in late 1890: "All of the dummies found other homes. 10 went to work with the Union Railway company, 100 served the Imperial Manufacturing and Importing Company. The last three went to other street railways: 101 to the Salt Lake & Ogden, the 6 to Provo Street Railway, and the 8 to the Great Salt Lake & Hot Springs."
- Basic builder data for steam motors furnished by Robert Lehmuth, email dated March 11, 2016
- Ogden City Railway #2; (no later owners shown in Baldwin records)
- Ogden City Railway #10; to Union Railway #10 in October 1892; to Union Street & Suburban Railway #10 in December 1894; to Central Railway of Oregon #10 in June 1905; to Mount Hood Railway #10 (Mount Hood, Oregon) in October 1910, lettered as "Little Kate" while on Mount Hood Railway, and was used as a switcher at the saw mills; out of service by August 1919; sold in August 1910. (Mount Hood information from "Switchbacks To The Timber")
- Ogden City Ry #100; to Imperial Manufacturing and Importing Company
- Ogden City Ry #101; to Great Salt Lake & Hot Springs; reorganized in 1896 as Salt Lake & Ogden
- Ogden City Ry #6; to Provo Street Railway; sold in January 1895
- Provo City Ry #8; sold in January 1895; to Great Salt Lake & Hot Springs; reorganized in 1896 as Salt Lake & Ogden
- M. M. Buck & Co, for Great Salt Lake & Hot Springs #3; reorganized in 1896 as Salt Lake & Ogden
- Ogden & North Western #5; to Ogden Logan & Idaho (not a steam motor; but instead a larger 0-4-4 tank engine)
Examples of Steam Dummies -- Random photos from online sources, showing what these steam dummies in Utah looked like (used without permission).