Union Pacific Railroad

Index For This Page

Roster of Diesel and Turbine Locomotives, 1934-2009

This page was last updated on July 28, 2022.

(Return to UP Diesel Roster Index Page)

Following is a listing of Union Pacific's misecllaneous locomotives, including a GE 44-ton switcher, two electric locomotives on the LA&SL, and several locomotives used in UP's tie plants in Laramie, Wyoming and The Dalles, Oregon.

GE 44-ton Switcher

UP's GE 44-ton locomotive was delivered as D.S. 1399; renumbered to 03999 in 1956; renumbered to 903999 in 1959; retired in June 1974.

GE 44 ton -- 1 unit
380 horsepower; B-B trucks; 88,600 pounds operating weight

Road
Number
First
Number
Second
Number
Third
Number
Builder
Date
Builder
Number
Date
Retired
UP 903999 GE 1399 UP 1399 UP 03999 Feb 1947 28344 Jun 1974

Built as GE demonstrator 1399, delivered to Union Pacific on 28 March 1947; sold to UP on 8 May 1947; first assigned to yard switching duties in the Omaha area, then as shop switcher for Omaha Shops; transferred to the System Roadway (maintenance of way) department, moved to Pocatello, Idaho and renumbered to UP 03999 in October 1956; moved to Omaha for a complete rebuild in late 1972, completed in February 1973; used as Omaha shop switcher until retirement in 1974.

Sold to Diesel Supply Co., in June 1974; sold to General Dynamics, Electric Boat Division, Groton, Connecticut in August 1974, shipped from Omaha on August 19, 1974; named "Diane" while at General Dynamics; donated to Danbury Railroad Museum, Danbury, Connecticut in about July 2006.

LA&SL Electric Locomotives

LA&SL purchased Glendale & Montrose (and both locomotives) in May 1931 after G&M was abandoned on December 30, 1930.

Electric service over former G&M tracks was discontinued in 1940; the Glendale Branch was dieselized in July 1942 in one of the earliest uses of diesel switch locomotives on UP in California.

LA&SL E-100

Baldwin-Westinghouse 50 ton Electric -- 1 unit
400 horsepower; B-B trucks; 95,000 pounds operating weight

Road
Number
First
Number
Date
To UP
Builder Date
Built
Builder
Number
Date
Retired
LA&SL E-100 G&M 22 May 1931 Baldwin-Westinghouse Aug 1923 56397 Mar 1942

LA&SL E-100 was a Baldwin-Westinghouse Class B-1, equipped with 36-inch wheels; 60:17 gear ratio, and four Westinghouse Model 562-D5, 100 horsepower traction motors. LA&SL E-100 had Baldwin-Westinghouse order number 23577.

LA&SL E-100 was built new as Glendale & Montrose Railway 22 in 1923; numbered as LA&SL E-100 in May 1931, for use on former G&M tracks between Delay Drive Siding and Glendale.

LA&SL E-100 was sold to UP-owned Yakima Valley Transportation Company 297, Yakima, Washington in March 1942, delivered to Yakima in September 1942; donated to Orange Empire Railway Museum, Perris, California in November 1985.

Reference: Signor, John. The Los Angeles and Salt Lake Railroad Company, Union Pacific's Historic Salt Lake Route, pages 107, 114.

LA&SL E-101

PE-Built 35 ton Electric -- 1 unit
300 horsepower; B-B trucks; 70,000 pounds operating weight

Road
Number
Previous
Number
Date
To UP
Builder Date
Built
Date
Vacated

Notes
(LA&SL E-101) G&M 21 May 1931 Pacific Electric, Los Angeles 1903 Sep 1936 1

G&M 21 (LA&SL E-101) was equipped with 33-inch wheels and four Westinghouse Model 76, 75-horsepower traction motors.

G&M 21 (LA&SL E-101) was built as unmotored Pacific Electric flat car 3072; rebuilt in 1903 by Pacific Electric shops to motorized work motor 38; renumbered PE 1537 in 1911; sold March 1916 to Glendale & Montrose 21 in March 1916; changed by G&M from work flat to enclosed box motor.

G&M 21 was assigned LA&SL number E-101 but not renumbered; it was seldom used; by 1934 the locomotive was boarded up and out of service, stored in the former G&M yard in Glendale, California.

LA&SL E-101 was sold for scrap in September 1936 to Pennsylvania Iron & Steel Company, Los Angeles, California (some sources indicate that the former G&M 21 was burned by Pacific Electric at their Torrance Shops).

Tie Plant Locomotives

Roadway Locomotives -- 9 units (narrow gauge)
Two-axle, four-wheel

Road
Number
First
Number
Type Weight Builder Builder
Model
Builder
Date
Builder
Number
Date
Retired
Notes
UP-1   G-M 12 ton Vulcan   Dec 1922 3273 1950 1
UP-2   G-M 12 ton Vulcan   Dec 1922 3274 1936 2
UP-3   G-M 12 ton Whitcomb WHL May 1929 12889 1950 3
UP-4   D-M 12 ton Davenport D-12 May 1931 2190 1938 4
UP-5   G-M 20 ton Whitcomb 20GM-4 Oct 1936 13150   5
                   
MW-1 MW-6 D-M 25 ton Whitcomb 25DM-42A Jun 1950 40693   6
MW-2 MW-8 D-E 25 ton GE   Jun 1967 35916   7
MW-3 UP-5 G-M 20 ton Whitcomb 20GM-4 Oct 1936 13150 1968 8
MW-4   D-M 24 ton Whitcomb 20GM-9 Oct 1937 13162   9
MW-6   D-M 25 ton Whitcomb 25DM-42A Jun 1950 40693   10
MW-7   D-M 25 ton Whitcomb 25DM-42A Jun 1950 40694   11
MW-8   D-E 25 ton GE   Jun 1967 35916   12

(Read more about UP's Tie Plants)

General Notes:

  1. G-M denotes Gas-Mechanical; D-M denotes Diesel-Mechanical; D-E denotes Diesel-Electric.
  2. Union Pacific used the term Roadway Service for all of its maintenance of way equipment and activities.
  3. UP-1 to UP-5 and MW-1 to MW-8 were 29-1/2 inch gauge and were used at UP's tie plants in Laramie, Wyoming and The Dalles, Oregon.

Notes:

  1. UP-1 was retired in 1950 under Work Order 6114; UP records show replaced by MW-1.
  2. UP-2 was retired in 1936 under Work Order 1278.
  3. UP-3 had 97 horsepower; retired in 1950 under Work Order 7947; UP records show replaced by MW-7.
  4. UP-4 was retired in 1938 under Work Order 5788; UP records show replaced by MW-4.
  5. UP-5 renumbered to MW-3.
  6. MW-1 had 190 horsepower; renumbered from MW-6; still in service during November 1978.
  7. MW-2 was renumbered from MW-8; still in service during November 1978; sold to Kerr McGee, number KM-2D.
  8. MW-3 renumbered from UP-5; retired 1968 under Work Order 31009.
  9. MW-4 had 147 horsepower; was still in service during November 1978.
  10. MW-6 had 190 horsepower; renumbered to MW-1.
  11. MW-7 had 190 horsepower; still in service, November 1978; sold to Kerr McGee, number KM-1D.
  12. MW-8 renumbered to MW-2.

North Platte Shop Switcher

UP's North Platte shop switcher did not have a road number. It was a diesel-mechanical (D-M) locomotive with 140 horsepower, and was purchased second-hand from Boeing Aircraft Company in 1971; used briefly as shop switcher at North Platte; transferred to Roadway (MOW) equipment shop in Pocatello, Idaho; removed from service in 1976; retired on 24 February 1978 and sold.

Roadway Locomotive -- 1 unit
Two-axle, four-wheel

Road
Number
Previous
Number
Date To
UP
Type Weight Builder Builder
Model
Builder
Date
Builder
Number
Date
Retired
(no number) Boeing B-30 Nov 1971 D-M 30 ton Whitcomb 30DM35A Sep 1944 40288 24 Feb 1978

###