Denver Pacific Railway & Telegraph Company (1867-1880)
Index For This Page
This page was last updated on February 22, 2019.
Denver Pacific was completed in June 1870; operated by Kansas Pacific after September 1879; locomotives renumbered to KP series in 1879.
The following comes from a roadside sign located along Union Pacific's former Denver Pacific, near Greeley, Colorado:
The Denver Pacific Railway -- When the Union Pacific Railroad decided to go through Wyoming instead of through Colorado, many people moved from the territory; Denver itself was shrinking. Former governor John Evans rescued Colorado Territory by promoting a connecting railroad from Denver to Cheyenne. The new railroad received no federal bond subsidy as had the Union Pacific, but Congress provided a generous land grant to encourage investment. Grading began in 1868, and the road was completed in June 1870. The tracks ran through this point. Denver Pacific agents encouraged settlers to purchase land on the company's grant, and Horace Greeley supported the idea of an agricultural colony in the pages of his New York Tribune. The Union Colony at Greeley (1870) was one result of these efforts. In 1880 the Denver Pacific was absorbed by the Union Pacific.
Consolidated in January 1880 with Union Pacific Railroad and Kansas Pacific Railway to form the Union Pacific Railway.
(See also: Kansas Pacific History page)
November 19, 1867
Denver Pacific Railway & Telegraph Company was Incorporated
March 3, 1869
"An Act of Congress approved on March 3, 1869 authorized the transfer of lands granted to Union Pacific Railway Company, Eastern Division between Denver and the point of its connection with the Union Pacific Rail Road to Denver Pacific Railway & Telegraph Company." The act also allowed the UPED to contract with Denver Pacific for the construction, operation and maintenance of its line between Denver and Cheyenne, and for the UPED to transfer perpetual use of its right of way and depot grounds, and the transfer of all rights and privileges of UPED to Denver Pacific.
March 19, 1869
In accordance with the Act of Congress mentioned above, on March 19, 1869, UPED entered into a contract with Denver Pacific granting those rights and privileges. The contract provided that the Denver Pacific would be completed between Denver and Cheyenne by January 1, 1871.
(Union Pacific Railway, Eastern Division became Kansas Pacific Railway on March 3, 1869)
January 1, 1870
Construction was completed between Cheyenne and Evans, Colorado (58 miles)
First two locomotives were delivered
May 30, 1870
Construction was completed between Evans, Colorado, and Johnson (near Platteville), Colorado (additional 16 miles; total of 74 miles)
Three additional locomotives were delivered.
June 9, 1870
Construction was completed from Johnson, Colorado, to Hughes (now Brighton), Colorado (additional 13 miles; total of 87 miles)
June 23, 1870
Construction was completed from Hughes to Denver (additional 19 miles; total of 106 miles)
The last of a total of six locomotives was delivered.
Independent ownership and operation until receivership on April 2, 1878, with Jay Gould and Russell Sage as principle bondholders
Operated by receivers, for the interests of the bondholders, from April 2, 1878 to September 27, 1879
September 27, 1879
Operated by Kansas Pacific (which was also controlled by Jay Gould)
January 24, 1880
Merged with Union Pacific Railroad and Kansas Pacific Railway to form Union Pacific Railway.
February 1, 1880
Property transferred to Union Pacific Railway Company.
Denver Pacific 4-4-0 -- 4 locomotives
|DP 23||John Evans||Baldwin||2506||Jul 1871||KP 123|
|DP 24||Walter Cheesman||Baldwin||2173||Jun 1870||KP 124|
|DP 25||Thomas Edgerton||Baldwin||2172||Jun 1870||KP 125|
|DP 26||David H. Moffat||Baldwin||2171||Jun 1870||KP 126|
|Drive Wheel Diameter: 61 inches|
|Cylinders: 16x24 inches|
|a.||For unknown reasons, these DP locomotives were numbered in reverse sequence from their delivery dates|
Denver Pacific 4-4-0 -- 2 locomotives
|DP 27||Baldwin||2106||Mar 1870||KP 127||1|
|DP 28||Baldwin||2109||Mar 1870||KP 128||2|
|Drive Wheel Diameter: 56 inches|
|Cylinders: 16x24 inches|
|1.||Built as DP 27 in 1870; to KP 127 in 1879; to UPRy 365 in 1885 (assigned to Cheyenne Division); vacated between 1894 and 1898|
|2.||Built as DP 28 in 1870; to KP 128 in 1879; to UPRy 366 in 1885 (assigned to Cheyenne Division); vacated between 1894 and 1898|
Union Pacific Railroad. Corporate History of Union Pacific Railroad Company, As of June 30, 1919; in compliance with ICC Valuation Order No. 20, page 125