Copper Belt Railroad
Index For This Page
This page was last updated on September 2, 2017.
(All locomotives were lettered as "C. B. R. R.", although the original articles of incorporation used "Railway"; a very large percentage of later references use "Railroad")
|CBRR 1||598||Apr 1900||26 Apr 1900 (to SL&M)
5 Jan 1901 (to CB)
|50 Tons||Y-21||Aug 1924||1|
|CBRR 2||843||Jan 1904||1 Jan 1904||65 Tons||Y-25||Oct 1925||2|
|CBRR 3||761||Apr 1904||9 Apr 1904||85 Tons||Y-32||Dec 1934||3|
|CBRR 4||1585||Nov 1905||20 Nov 1905||85 Tons||Y-33||Oct 1925||4|
|CBRR 5||1801||Dec 1906||20 Dec 1906||85 Tons||Y-33||May 1936||5|
- All five locomotives were built by Lima; all were "standard" Lima Class C, three-cylinder, three-truck Shay locomotives.
- All five locomotives passed to Denver & Rio Grande in the 1908 reorganization that created that railroad; D&RG was reorganized again in 1921 as Denver & Rio Grande Western.
- Copper Belt numbers 3, 4 and 5 were three of only six 85-ton, 3-truck Shay locomotives built by Lima.
- Copper Belt no. 1 was built as Salt Lake & Mercur Railroad no. 7, delivered in April 1900; transferred to Copper Belt railroad in the first week of January 1901; to D&RG no. 1, then D&RGW no. 1; retired by D&RGW at Salt Lake City in September 1924; sold to Morse Brothers Machinery Company in Denver, Colorado in September 1924; to Utah Construction Company at Guernsey, Wyoming in July 1925; scrapped. (ShayLocomotives.com photo)
- Copper Belt no. 2 arrived at Bingham on January 12, 1904; became D&RG no. 2, then D&RGW no. 2; marked in D&RG records as "Destroyed" on July 18, 1917, sold to Hofius Sales and Equipment Co.; reinstated to D&RG accounts in October 1917; retired by D&RGW in October 1925; sold to Morse Brothers Machinery Company in Denver, Colorado on July 28, 1926; to McGoldrick Lumber Company no. 2 on July 15, 1927, in service at Sanders, Idaho, then in service at Emida, Idaho by late January 1928; wrecked and sent to Lima for repairs by November 1929; noted as not repairable; scrapped in May 1947. (ShayLocomotives.com photo)
- Copper Belt no. 3, as Lima construction no. 761, has been reported as being built in March 1903, for the Ecuadorian Association's 42-inch gauge Guayaquil & Quito Railway, as G&Q no. 17. Lima construction no. 762 had similar, possibly identical specifications, and may have also been built as another G&Q locomotive. The order was cancelled and the two locomotives remained at Lima awaiting new buyers. Lima construction no. 761 was converted from 42-inch gauge (as G&Q no. 17), to standard gauge and sold to Copper Belt a year later as their no. 3, in April 1904.
Copper Belt no. 3 arrived in Salt Lake City on April 27, 1904, and made it first trip on Copper Belt tracks on April 30, 1904.
Copper Belt no. 3 became D&RG no. 3, then D&RGW no. 3; retired by D&RGW at Salt Lake City in December 1934; scrapped at Salt Lake City in December 1934. (ShayLocomotives.com photo)
- Copper Belt no. 4 was built as "R.G.W. 4", became D&RG no. 4, then D&RGW no. 4; retired by D&RGW at Salt Lake City in October 1925; scrapped at Salt Lake City in March 1926. (ShayLocomotives.com photo)
- Copper Belt no. 5 became D&RG no. 5 (lettered for D&RG in March 1922), then D&RGW no. 5; scrapped at Salt Lake City in May 1936. (ShayLocomotives.com photo) (GearedSteam.com photo)
The five Copper Belt Shay locomotives had the following specifications:
|CBRR 1||(3) 12-1/2x12 inches||32 inches||135,400 pounds||Jun 1920|
|CBRR 2||(3) 12x15 inches||32 inches||150,200 pounds||Feb 1920|
|CBRR 3||(3) 14-1/2x15 inches||40 inches||200,000 pounds||Jul 1920|
|CBRR 4||(3) 14-1/2x15 inches||40 inches||200,000 pounds||Feb 1920|
|CBRR 5||(3) 14-1/2x15 inches||40 inches||200,000 pounds||Feb 1920|
Photocopies of D&RGW equipment record cards, furnished by John Tudek, August 2008.
"Locomotives of the Rio Grande", Colorado Railroad Museum, page 59.