Ogden Rapid Transit Company Equipment / Logan Rapid Transit Company Equipment
Index For This Page
This page was last updated on August 31, 2020.
Taken from "Interurbans of Utah" by Ira Swett, pages 67-90.
The predecessor company of the Utah-Idaho Central Ralroad, the Ogden, Logan and Idaho Railway, was formed in May 1914 by merging the Ogden Rapid Transit Company and the Logan Rapid Transit Company, both Eccles corporations.
Ogden Rapid Transit Company
- The quantities shown in the notes below suggest a total of 78 cars in service by the time of the 1914 merger of Ogden Rapid Transit and Logan Rapid Transit that resulted in the Ogden, Logan & Idaho Railroad.
- ORT 1; Single truck open work and freight locomotive, first in Ogden; built by Brill. Ran as late as 1930. Link and pin couplers used for interchange at Five Points; ran to North Ogden, Brigham and up Canyon. Renumbered URT 025.
- ORT 2; Single truck snow plow, built 1908.
- ORT 3; A 750-volt motor flat; four posts supported trolley base. Popularly called "Chippie". Listed in 1913 as Line Car.
- ORT 4-15 (12 cars); Old city cars, some of which rebuilt into service cars.
- ORT 16-17 (2 cars); Double truck open-roof observation cars, used in Canyon. Built 1913 in Ogden and ran till 1935. Cost $4055. Had closed vestibules, aisle down center, air.
- ORT 18; Rebuild by ORT in 1908 of two single truck open cars; they were spliced and 18 resulted. Open, side loaded, walkover benches, air brakes, double truck, wood body and sills, GE 80 motors; well liked by motorman.
- ORT 19; Double truck closed car, built in 1908 by ORT from two old cars. Air brakes. Ran to Sanatorium. In accident at North Ogden in May 1916 and scrapped soon after.
- ORT 20-22 (3 cars); Barney and Smith double truck semi-convertibles, probably built about 1904. 28 feet, 0 inches long, Curtis trucks, two GE 67 motors (38 HP), K-10 control, hand brake.
- ORT 23-26 (4 cars); Barney and Smith double truck semi-convertibles; probably built about 1905. 28 feet, 0 inches long body, B&S 938 trucks, Two GE 54 motors (25 HP), K-10 control, hand brake.
- ORT 27-30 (4 cars); St. Louis semi-convertibles, double truck, 38 feet long, St. Louis 47 trucks, two GE 70 motors (40 HP), 15:71 gear ratio, K-10 control, National straight air. Monitor deck roofs; ran into the 1930s.
- ORT 31-32 (2 cars); St. Louis double truck semi-convertibles; built 1908. 41 feet long, St. Louis. 47 trucks, two GE 80 motors (40 HP), 15:71 gear ratio, K-28B control, Christensen air. Both were used in Ogden Canyon; 31 had a ratchet gong which made it highly prized by motorman. Both operated into the 1930s.
- ORT 33-36 (4 cars); Cincinnati Car Co., 1908. Eccles visited Washington D.C. in 1908 and rode car 142 there, built by Cincinnati; he liked it so well he ordered these. 41 feet long, four GE 80 motors, 15:71 gear ratio. Used Pay-As-You-Enter (PAYE) fare collection, first time in Ogden. St. Louis cars thereupon rebuilt for PAYE.
- ORT 37-38 (2 cars); Heavy Ogden Valley cars; arch roof, double truck, painted yellow. Had Tomlinson couplers, could operated MU or haul trailers. Records obscure --- may have been rebuilds of two of 33-36 Class, as 36 not listed after 1913. Supposedly built for Logan Rapid Transit. Cost $6,240 each.
- ORT 40-45 (6 cars); All-steel double truck MU; built in 1914. Maximum number in train: 3. Cost $4,300 each. Painted yellow.
- ORT 50-51 (2 cars); Said to have been rebuilt from 200 Class. Used on Lorin Farr Park run in Ogden in early 1920. Equipped with fenders and hand brakes. Out of service 1927.
- ORT 60-75 (16 cars); Standard Birneys, built by American in 1919. Originally painted black and gold and lettered UIC. With delivery of these, "several" older cars were scrapped.
- ORT 101-104 (4 cars); St. Louis suburban MU cars; wooden bodies and sills, steel sides and end sills. Built 1910, cost $7440 each. 46 feet long. 101, 102 and 103 were passenger coaches with smoking section. 104 was passenger-baggage combo. All had train doors, Tomlinson couplers, four motors, carried train number over doors, painted black with gold trim; 102 evidently was retired early, possibly as the result of an accident, as there is no mention of it in company records; last mention of 101 1934; 103 1934; 104 was idle from 1931 to 1934 when last recorded. These cars were used on Brigham and Ogden Canyon lines.
- ORT 201-212 (12 cars); These were originally trailers and were used in both city and interurban service. The first three were built by American in 1910 and were 38 feet long, with wood bodies, wood underframes, and Brill trucks. The others were built by American in 1912; they had Brill trucks wood bodies and underframes, steel sides. All had arch roofs and were single compartment closed cars. All had control lines running through them, and the common practice was to run one or more of them in the center of trains, with motors of the 100 or 40 Classes at either end. In 1913, 201 and 202 were motorized. 205 and 206 were motorized in 1916 (1500 volts) for use in Logan, Brigham, Willard and Plain City; 206 had the reputation of being a sluggish car, but "it had whistles." 211 and 212 were motorized (1500 volts) and used in Logan and elsewhere. 203 and 204 were not recorded as early as 1913 but 207-216 remained trailers until scrapped in 1937.
Utah Rapid Transit Birney car number 66 was sold and ended up being converted to a bus used by the Trolley Square shopping mall in Salt Lake City:
The car in question is Utah Rapid Transit 66, built by American Car Company in 1919 on order #1221 for service in Ogden and retired around 1936. When the Trolley Square Mall was developed, I think in the early 1970's, this was one of the cars that was "adapted" for the developer's purposes - in this case, apparently it was rebuilt into a bus. What its exact use was I'm not sure, but when Trolley Square divested itself of the various streetcar bodies it was using this one evidently wound up in someone's backyard. It's not currently on the PNAERC list because it's not really preserved; it looks more like your typical abandoned motor home that just hasn't been disposed of yet. The western trolley museums are aware of it but there's not all that much original material left. (Frank Hicks, posted to Railway Preservation News, March 13, 2008)
The following comes from Motor Coach Age, Volume 29, Number 3, March 1987, published by the Motor Coach Society:
On January 1, 1920 the city lines in Ogden and the canyon line were taken over by a new Eccles firm, the Utah Rapid Transit Company. Nineteen single-truck Birney cars bought the year before would provide streetcar service until the end of operations. Ogden's first bus service was authorized in October 1928 and was started early the next year using two Pierce-Arrow buses with Buffalo bodies. The ORT car lines continued to run until December 1935 when the Birneys were replaced by 14 Superior-bodied buses on various makes of truck chassis. Three similar buses were delivered the next year.
Logan Rapid Transit Company
The cars mentioned were Nos. 1 and 2, built by Cincinnati in 1910 for ORT, and #38, also from Ogden, and built by St. Louis in 1910. The trailer was #101, built by American in 1910 and purchased from ORT when new. It completed the passenger car roster, but there were also a work car (#302), a flat car and two gravel cars, both from ORT.
(As of December 31, 1913)
|1||Cincinnati||1910||Wood||44'0"||40,000||GE 80*||15:71||K 28-B||National||44|
|2||Cincinnati||1910||Wood||44'0"||40,000||GE 80*||15:71||K 28-B||National||40|
|38||St. Louis||1910||Wood||44'0"||38,000||GE 70*||15:71||K 28-B||National||48|
|302||LRT||1913||Work||30'0"||-||GE 80||15:71||K 10-C||Hand||-|
Notes on Roster: Cars 1 and 2 were ex-ORT and probably were ORT 35 and 36. LRT kept four GE 80 motors (40 hp) in 1, but 2 lost two GE 80s to work motor 302 in 1913. 38 was equipped with Ohmer register and couplers and hauled 101 on interurban line. After the 1 and 2 were made 750-1500 volt cars in 1915 they were renumbered 211 and 212 respectively; there is no mention in company records of 38 and 302 being converted to 750-1500 v. operation. Color: Yellow.