UtahRails.net

(This page printed from UtahRails.net, Copyright 2000-2022 Don Strack)

Salt Lake, Garfield & Western Railway

Index For This Page

This page was last updated on August 16, 2022.

(Return to Salt Lake, Garfield & Western Page)

(View a roster of SLG&W steam, electric and other equipment)

Diesel Locomotives

1951-2021

Road
Number
Builder/
Model
Builder
Number
Builder
Date
Previous
Number
Date To
SLG&W
Date Removed
From Service
Notes
D.S. 1 GE 44 ton 15032 15 Aug 1942 NYO&W 105 Dec 1951 before Sep 1997 1
D.S. 2 GE 44 ton 15028 13 Dec 1941 NYO&W 101 Dec 1951   2
D.S. 3 GE 45 ton 27597 May 1944 USATC 8519 Aug 1972 Jul 1979 3
D.S. 4 Alco S-6 81290 May 1955 SP 1207 Dec 1978 26 May 1998 4
D.S. 5 GE 65 ton 15889 Feb 1943 USATC 7162 Sep 1980 2007 5
D.S. 6 GE 80 ton 28476 Jul 1946 CC 11 Nov 1982 (late 1985) 6
D.S. 7 EMD SW9 13212 Aug 1951 BN 160 Oct 1985 Jul 1988 7
D.S. 8 EMD SW1200 (7696-5)   GWRX 2254 Sep 1997 Jun 2000 8
D.S. 9 EMD/UP SW10     UP 1230 Feb 2000 31 Dec 2019 9
D.S. 10 EMD/UP SW10     UP 1274 (2nd) Feb 2000 31 Dec 2019 10
DS-11 EMD MP15AC 756064-51 Sep 1975 UPY 1484 Jun 2017 Jul 2022 11
DS-12 EMD MP15DC 787185-5 Oct 1979 ME 2378 Oct 2019   12
DS-13 EMD GP39-2 796342-6 Oct 1980 SSRX 1088 Nov 2019   13
G-4 Plymouth ML-6 4161 May 1941 QMC-USA 2043 before 1958 Mar 1958 14

Former Kansas City Terminal SW1200 71 (EMD 29240, 7/64) and 74 (EMD 29243, 7/64) were leased to SLG&W in early 1986 as part of their contract with ARGEE Corporation for switching cars of hazardous waste being removed from Vitro tailings site in South Salt Lake City, and at the Clive disposal site, 76 miles west of the Vitro mill site. Both units arrived on SLG&W property in February 1986. Number 71 was used at the Vitro mill site, and number 74 was used at the Clive disposal site. The lease on the two SW1200s ended after the last rail car was loaded at the Vitro mill site in late November 1986. Both locomotives were seen at VMV Enterprises at Paducah, Kentucky, in April 1988, and as late as early October 1988. They were sold to Elgin Joilet & Eastern 322 and 323 in early 1989.

(Read more about the Vitro tailings cleanup)

Don Strack notes about DS-6: On May 24, 1983 it was photographed sitting on SLG&W rails at the UP&L coal unloading shed, as Chrome Crankshaft no. 11. It was repainted to SLG&W DS-6 in May 1984. I happen to be there on the first day of its operation after being painted, and was invited to ride while the unit was given its first run on the SLG&W, to a point about five miles west of the SLG&W yard. It was leased to Broken Arrow at the Clive hazmat dump site in June 1985. It did not return to SLG&W, and was scrapped at the Clive site after suffering a broken wheel. I was told by Rex Firth (president of SLG&W) at the time in 1983 that they had bought it from Chrome Crankshaft in Bell Gardens, California. It's been a long time, but I recall confirming the lettering under the spray paint on the cab as reading USS Torrance Works. DS-6 was photographed (both sides) in June 1985 sitting in the UP yards in Salt Lake City, en route to Clive.

General Notes:

  1. D.S. 1 and D.S. 2 were GE 44-ton center-cab switching locomotives; built as New York, Ontario & Western 105 and 101; sold to Hyman-Michaels (dealer) in December 1951; sold to SLG&W in December 1951.
  2. D.S. 1 (44T) was painted orange with yellow stripes; repainted in October 1973 as orange with white stripes and silver trucks; repainted in December 1975 to Bicentennial colors, still in red, white and blue colors by May 1983.
  3. D.S. 2 (44T) was painted green with gold stripes. D.S. 2 was used as part of a contract with ARGEE Corporation to switch cars of hazardous waste being removed from Vitro tailings site in South Salt Lake City in 1985-1986, replaced after damage to one engine.
  4. D.S. 3 (45T) was a GE 45-ton center-cab switching locomotive, "drop-cab" style with side rods; built as U. S. Army Transportation Corps 8519, delivered to Hawkins Point, Maryland; used in France during WWII; rebuilt at Fort Hollibird, Maryland, later used at Fort Sill, Oklahoma, by September 1, 1960; stored at Defense Depot Ogden and Hill Air Force Base until sold as surplus to Houston Truck & Equipment Co. (dealer); sold to SLG&W on August 15, 1972; painted red with white stripes.
    D.S. 3 was leased to Utah Power & Light from January to December 1978 for $25.00 per day.
    D.S. 3 was retired in July 1979 and sold to Noth, Inc. (dealer), on July 16, 1979; sold to Virginia Central at Fredricksburg, Virginia; sold to Pittsburgh, Allegheny & McKees Rocks Railroad at McKees Rocks, Pennsylvania; sold to S&W Construction of Provo, Utah, moved back to Utah and used during the construction of the Leamington cement plant; sold to Martin Marietta by March 1982; replaced by a red 45-ton of different design in 1989, further disposition unknown.
  5. D.S. 4 (S-6) was built as SP 1040, renumbered to SP 1207; sold to Chrome Crankshaft; sold to SLG&W on 5 December 1978.
  6. D.S. 5 (65T) was built as U. S. Army Transportation Corp 7162; stored at Defense Depot Ogden; sold to Surplus Wholesalers, Inc. (dealer), Salt Lake City, Utah, August 27, 1980; sold to SLG&W on September 2, 1980, shipped to SLG&W on September 12, 1980, purchase price from DDO was $31,368.89; in service as SLG&W D. S. 5, in black paint, by February 1981; painted full SLG&W white with red and blue stripes by May 1982.
    D.S. 5 was used as part of a contract with ARGEE Corporation to switch cars of hazardous waste being removed from Vitro tailings site in South Salt Lake City in 1985-1986, replacing D.S. 2 which had engine problems; returned to SLG&W in 1986 and used in regular service until at least 2000.
  7. D.S. 6 (80T) was built as Columbia Steel number 11 at Pittsburg, California, to U. S. Steel (same location), transferred to U. S. Steel Torrance, California; USS-Torrance closed in 1980; sold to Chrome Crankshaft number 11 by November 1982; sold to SLG&W and delivered to SLG&W at Gadsby by May 1983; painted white with red and blue stripes in May 1984.
  8. D.S. 7 (SW9) was built as CB&Q 9269, to BN 160; to OmniTrax; to SLG&W D. S. 7 in October 1985.
  9. D.S. 8 (SW1200) was built as SSW 1066, to SSW 2254; sold to OmniTrax and numbered as Great Western (GWRX) 2254; to SLG&W in September 1997 (frame number 7696-5); lease expired and returned to OmniTrax about June 2000, stored at SLG&W Salt Lake City yard.
  10. D.S. 9 (SW10) was built as UP SW9 1833 in April 1953, rebuilt by UP to SW10 1230 in February 1982, retired by UP in July 1998; sold to Connell Finance in July 1998; leased to SLG&W in December 1999; in service starting in February 2000. (see STB Recordation 22605, dated December 6, 1999; lease extended in five-year increments through December 31, 2019)
  11. D.S. 10 (SW10) was built as UP SW9 1851 in October 1953, rebuilt by UP to SW10 1215 in January 1981, retired by UP in July 1998; sold to Connell Finance in July 1998; leased to SLG&W in December 1999; in service starting in February 2000. (see STB Recordation 22605, dated December 6, 1999; lease extended in five-year increments through December 31, 2019)
  12. DS-11 (MP15AC) was built as SP 2756 in September 1975; to UP at merger in 1996; to UPY 1484 on 30 June 2005; retired by UP on 16 May 2016; sold to S&S Sales and Leasing (SSRX); leased to SLG&W as DS-11, to Utah in early June 2017. (locomotive history from Mark Mautner, email dated May 25, 2017)
  13. DS-12 (MP15DC) was built as Southern Railway 2378 in October 1979; renumbered to Norfolk Southern 2378 at Sou/N&W merger in 1982; sold in August 2016 to Morristown & Erie Railway (ME; Morristown, New Jersey) 2378; sold in May 2019 to Metro East Industries (MEI), East St. Louis, Illinois, moved from Morristown, to MEI in mid May 2019; sold in June 2019 to S&S Sales & Leasing as SSRX 2378 (SLG&W DS-12). DS-12 was seen at Topeka, Kansas, October 30, 2019, en route to Utah, painted and lettered as SLG&W DS-12 (SSRX reporting mark) (Doug Gartner photos at Topeka; courtesy of Jacob Lyman via Facebook). (Additional history courtesy of Matt Liverani via Facebook, and Mark Mauter and Bruce Mercer emails dated May 14 and October 3, 2019)
  14. DS-13 (GP39-2) was built as Kennecott Copper Corporation 710; sold in about 2008 to Rawhide Short Line 1088 at Platte River Power Authority's Rawhide Power Station near Wellington, Colorado (north of Fort Collins); sold to S&S Sales and Leasing (SSRX) on July 29, 2019; seen in-transit at Speer, Wyoming on BNSF on September 27, 2019; arrived at SLG&W in Salt Lake City on October 17, 2019, painted and numbered as SLG&W DS-13 during second week of November 2019.
  15. SLG&W G-4 (ML-6; Plymouth; four-wheel, diesel-mechanical) was built as Quartermaster Corps- U. S. Army 2043 in May 1941; to U. S. Army 7694, initial assignment to Salt Lake City Army Airbase; Salt Lake City Army Airbase buildings and equipment were declared surplus by federal War Assets Administration and leased to Salt Lake City in November 1946; buildings (including warehouses) and equipment (including locomotive) transferred without charge to Salt Lake City ownership in November 1947; locomotive offered for sale by Salt Lake City, with a deadline of October 2, 1953; sold to SLG&W on October 2, 1953. Used to switch warehouses at the former Salt Lake City Army Airbase. (This was just 18 months after SLG&W received its two GE 44-ton locomotives and a little over a year after SLG&W ran its last electric train.)

Notes:

  1. D. S. 1 (44T) was sold to a private owner in 1997; stored on the Adirondack Scenic Railroad, located in Lake Placid, New York by September 8, 1997; sold to the Southern Railroad Company of New Jersey at Winslow Junction, New Jersey, and repainted in October 2006 back to New York, Ontario & Western number 105; sold to New York, Ontario & Western Historical Society in Fall 2016 after the private owner passed away; moved by truck on December 27-28, 2017 from New Jersey to Steamtown National Historic Site, Scranton, Pennsylvania, for restoration.
  2. D.S. 2 (44T) was donated to Promontory Chapter, NRHS; donated to Feather River Rail Society and stored at Portola Railroad Museum in Portola, California; traded in May 2005 to Bay Area Electric Railroad Association for preservation at its Western Railway Museum at Rio Vista Junction, California.
  3. D.S. 3 (45T) was sold to Virginia Central (assigned VC 105) in July 1979; still unlettered by June 1980 when it was sold to Pittsburgh, Allegheny & McKees Rocks Railroad as their no. 14 (briefly numbered as PA&MR 4545 for movement from VC to PA&MR) (photo as PA&MR 14 in Extra 2200 South, Issue 77, October-November-December 1982, page 33); sold to S&W Construction Co., at Provo, Utah; sold to Martin Marietta cement plant, located at Mart-Mar, Utah, along UP's Provo Subdivision, seen there on March 6, 1982; cement plant (and locomotive) leased to Southwestern Portland Cement in April 1984; cement plant (and locomotive) sold to Ash Grove Cement in May 1989; ex SLG&W D.S. 3 gone by June 1992, replaced by a red GE 45 Ton (GE 30481, Nov 1949); later disposition for D.S. 3 unknown. (part from Locomotive Notes II, Number 125, page 6)
  4. D.S. 4 (S-6) was sold in November 2000 to a partnership that moved the locomotive in December 2001 to Fillmore & Western Railroad at Santa Paula, California; moved to California riding on rebuilt trucks with roller bearings, as Short Line Enterprises (SLEX) 1040 road number; owned by Siskiyou Railway Equipment LLC and leased to Fillmore & Western; still there as of February 2022.
  5. D.S. 5 (65T) was sold to Union Tank Car at Evanston, Wyoming, by 2007, numbered as 1303. Still at Evanston in May 2019, possibly donated to the City of Evanston, displayed at the roundhouse.
  6. D.S. 6 (80T) was leased in June 1985 to the Broken Arrow, Inc., at Clive, Utah, subcontractor to ARGEE Corporation for the disposal of the Vitro mill tailings; broken wheel; scrapped at Clive site. Replaced in February 1986 at Clive by leased ex-KCT SW1200 74. (Read more about the Vitro tailings cleanup)
  7. D.S. 7 (SW9) was sold to J. R. Simplot at Don, Idaho; shipped on July 19, 1988, where it replaced RS32 4004. (Locomotive Notes II, Number 116, page 7)
  8. D.S. 8 (SW1200) lease expired and returned to OmniTrax about June 2000, stored at SLG&W Salt Lake City yard; sold to S & S Shortline Leasing LLC (Farmington, Utah) in August 2010, stored at SLG&W Salt Lake City yard; sold to Cargill (CRGX) 2254, in early April 2011, moved on April 19, 2011; seen working at Cargill at Princeton, Indiana, in May 2011. (Locomotive Notes II, Number 198, September-October 1997, page 20; Locomotive Notes II, Number 210, April-May-June 2000, in TRP, page 64; 2011 update from Trainorders.com on April 19, 2011)
  9. D.S. 9 (SW10) was in service until December 31, 2019, on a recurring five-year lease from Connell Finance; sold to Motive Power Resources, Inc., on November 1, 2019; sold to S&S Sales and Leasing (SSRX) in December 2019.
  10. D.S. 10 (SW10) was in service until December 31, 2019, on a recurring five-year lease from Connell Finance; sold to Motive Power Resources, Inc., on November 1, 2019; sold to S&S Sales and Leasing (SSRX) in December 2019; as of mid September 2020, the former DS-10 was in service at Scoular Grain, just north of Adrian, Missouri.
  11. DS-11 (MP15AC) was removed from SLG&W service in 2022 and sent east for other lease service; seen in Provo, Utah, on July 10, 2022; seen at Galesburg, Illinois, on August 15, 2022, en route to Metro East Industries to be painted in standard SSRX green and white colors and to be renumbered as SSRX 1484.
  12. DS-12 (MP15DC) (in service, August 2022)
  13. DS-13 (GP39-2) (in service, August 2022)
  14. SLG&W G-4 (ML-6) was purchased from Salt Lake City in October 1953; numbered as SLG&W G-4; to Utah Power & Light (no number) in March 1958, used to switch coal cars at Hale plant at the mouth of Provo Canyon; transferred to Gadsby Plant in Salt Lake City in 1973; retired from Gadsby Plant in June 1977; sold to Southern San Luis Valley, Blanca, Colorado, out of service by 1980, with missing engine; as of mid-July 2021, still in Blanca, Colorado, with missing engine and hood, still in SLG&W paint.

After 2021 (Patriot Rail)

Road
Number
Builder/
Model
Builder
Number
Builder
Date
Previous
Number
Date To
SLG&W
8201 GP9R A959 Aug 1956 FTRX 8201 Aug 2021
8223 GP9U A1129 Aug 1957 FTRX 8223 Apr 2022

FTRX = Foster Townsend Rail Logistics (FTRL), a contract switching subsidiary of Patriot Rail.

Don Strack wrote on July 31, 2022: "Are the two freshly painted GP9s usually only used at the storage yard out at 7200 West?"

Steven Ellis wrote on July 31, 2022: "From my observations the the two blue GP9's have taken over, and are the work horses up and down the line. I'll see them in 7200 and 4000 W yard. The greys are parked most of the time, and tend to stay in the 7200 yard. Just my observation early in the morning and around 4:30 p.m."

Jaeden Rohde wrote on July 31, 2022: "The GP9s have not switched in the International Center yet, or at least to our building."

General Notes:

  1. SLG&W 8201 was built as Canadian Pacific 8619 (GP9); to CP 8201 (GP9u); to FTRL 8201 (GP9u); to FTRX 8201 (GP9R); repainted to SLG&W 8201 in May 2022.
  2. SLG&W 8223 was built as Canadian Pacific 8673 (GP9); to CP 8223 (GP9u); to St. Lawrence & Hudson (STLH) 8223 (GP9u); to FTRL 8223 (GP9u); repainted to SLG&W 8223 in May 2022.

###