Utah Southern, DUP

This page was last updated on August 18, 2026.

(Return To Utah Southern 1870-1881 Page)

From Daughters of Utah Pioneers, Our Pioneer Heritage, Vol. 10, pages 144-148 (published in 1967)

Although the Mormons sought isolation from their persecutors, and more than found it in the arid regions of the Great Basin, they were not long in realizing the need for a better type of transportation than was provided by the slow-moving oxen. Thus it was with joy that they learned of a proposed transcontinental railroad that would link the East to the West. Indeed, according to Tullidge, "It is a singular fact, yet one well substantiated in the history of the West, that the pioneers of Utah were the first projectors and first proposers to the American nation of a transcontinental railroad." It has been said that on the initial journey to Utah, Brigham Young would often point out the route where one day such a railroad would be built. Further proof of their great desire for better transportation and communication facilities was voiced at the first session of the territorial legislature of 1851-52 when ".... memorials to Congress were adopted, praying for the construction of a national central railroad and also a telegraph line from the Missouri River via Salt Lake City to the Pacific." The great dream became a reality on May 10, 1869, when the Golden Spike joined the Central Pacific and the Union Pacific at Promontory.

It was only a matter of a short time before a web of small railroads began spreading throughout the territory. As with all the other projects that had been undertaken by the Latter-day Saints in their conquering of the frontier, the building of railroads was accomplished in much the same manner. The people of each settlement became responsible for the line that would run through their area. The men [p.138] must build the grades, haul the timber for the ties and lay the rails. Once again they were called upon to abandon other pressing personal work to build for the benefit of the whole. It seems that such dedication should have been rewarded by more financial gain for the builders, but it became a sad reality that almost as soon as the branch railroads were built by the sweat and labor of the Saints, they were absorbed by the more powerful roads.

The Utah Southern Railroad Company

The Utah Southern Railroad Company was the second railroad enterprise in which the citizens engaged. Of it Tullidge said:

It is worthy of particular remark that the community cooperated with all their faith and means to build these home railroads, under the counsel and management of their leading men.

On January 7, 1871, the following men were named stockholders of the newly organized company: Joseph A. Young, William Jennings, John Sharp, John Sharp Jr., Feramorz Little, James T. Little, LeGrand Young, L. S. Hills, S. J. Jonassen, Thomas W. Jennings, James Sharp, George Swan, Jesse W. Fox, D. H. Wells, C. Layton. William Jennings was elected president of the company, John Sharp, vice-president and Feramorz Little, superintendent. Jennings resigned and was succeeded by Brigham Young as president. Later, Jennings again became president and manager, and the road continued under this management until it was re-incorporated, its purpose to build a road through settlements south of Salt Lake City.

The capital stock consisted of 1,500 shares of 100 par-value stock, making the total capitalization $1,500,000. Joseph A. Young, son of President Young took 301 of the 500 initially subscribed shares. Most of the other shares were taken by the men who held stock in the Utah Central. These bonds issued under the signature of President [p.145] Young were to be sold as the road progressed, not to exceed $20,000 for each mile.

On the first day of May 1871, ground was broken for the Utah Southern. The first spike was driven June 5th, and work was pushed forward from point to point, passing through some of the wealthiest and most productive tracts of land in the territory. By September 1871, thirteen miles of road were completed to Sandy. During the winter of 1871-72, plans were made to continue the road to Lehi, thirty miles from Salt Lake City.

The completion of the track of the Utah Southern Railroad into Lehi, and the arrival of the first train on September 23, 1872, with cars traveling eighteen to twenty miles an hour, marked an important event. Boarding houses, hotels, saloons and small shops made a rapid growth on State Street. For over a year the terminus of the road was here and this made the town the distribution center for goods shipped to the southern part of the state, causing many Lehi men to obtain profitable employment. It was a delightful experience to the children, who had never ridden on a train, to be taken for a ride on the coaches. The older citizens had seen the railroad with its engine before they came west. In fact, it is claimed the first railroad conductor in the world settled in American Fork. On his tombstone in the American Fork Cemetery is written: "Edward Robinson, the first railroad conductor in the world." The engine, "The Rocket," made its initial run from Liverpool to Manchester, England, in the year 1830, on which Edward was the conductor.

In 1872 the engine of the Utah Southern was brought to American Fork on a moveable track. Many of the townspeople witnessed its [p.146] coming. They went about a mile down State Street, saw them lay down the moveable narrow gauge track or skids, run the engine along, then pick up the track and place it again in front of the engine and continue into town. To add excitement to the occasion the engineer tooted long and loud and sent out great sprays of steam. Some were frightened and had to be taken home. In the fall the road was open to traffic through American Fork. The people rejoiced. A right of way had been granted by the city council along some of the principal streets of the city, and an ordinance passed limiting the speed of trains through the city to eight miles per hour. The rails ushered in a great day of freight and transportation, bringing about new enterprise and industry.

"The first track in American Fork was built along First North between First East and Grant Avenue where a temporary building was erected on the corner. A spur of track ran into sheds for unloading freight and loading ore and cattle. An engine house stood north of this building in the rear. The depot was built on the south side across the tracks. It was a tall one room building facing south, with a long platform on the south and east sides. Across the street north from the depot and to the east and north was Keppernick Corral and directly south, the railroad cattle corral with the American Fork River on the east side. -- History of American Fork

This railroad, running through thirteen settlements, was well managed. At the time of its building, there was not much money in the territory and only by the ready help which came from the people in response to the call made by President Brigham Young, under whose direction the road was pushed forward, was it possible to complete the line. A series of meetings were held in Utah County, which President Young attended and encouraged the people to buy the bonds and stock and to give of their time and money. People of Utah County responded, saying that as soon as their crops were harvested they would undertake the work. Following was the agreement:

As payment for the stock the people of the county agree to do the grading, supply the ties, lay the rails, and in fact, to build the road, station houses, etc., from its present terminus to Provo, and also subsequently to continue the work beyond the latter point to Payson. The shares will be distributed among the various settlements of the county, each taking as many or as few shares as it chooses.

A. O. Smoot, the presiding bishop in Utah County, was made general chairman and given the responsibility of dividing 3,600 shares of $100.00 a share among the towns through which the railroad would run in Utah County. All bishops were given responsibilities; such as William Bringburst, who was appointed to handle some of the construction. By December 1873 the track was laid to Provo, where a celebration was held.

[p.147] During 1874 the Union Pacific, with whom President Young had made an agreement to buy some of the bonds and stock of the Utah Southern, financed the construction of the road from Provo to York, Juab County, twenty-seven miles. People living along the line aided in the building and some contracts were taken by church organizations. It reached York, April 1, 1875; thus greatly furthering the development of the rich Tintic mines.

From History of Juab County, we quote:

Until the year 1877 all the transporting and exporting of commodities from Nephi was done by freighting with oxen, and then teams of horses, and heavy wagons, going as far north as Salt Lake City, and south to Frisco, Leeds, Pioche and other points. The Utah Southern Railroad reached York, located about fifteen miles north of Nephi and just south of Santaquin Hill, April 1, 1875, which remained the terminus of the railroad for two years. During this time hundreds of loads of produce were hauled to and from Nephi. From one of the bills of lading of that date we copy the following:

Utah Forwarding Co., George Y. Wallace, Supt. Deseret Bank Building. Received of Peter Sutton, fifty cents (50 cents.) in payment of storage on one baby carriage for E. Southworth, Nephi. Dated Terminus U.S. Rail Road, November 7, 1878. H. B. Prout, Agent.

The trains arrived daily at York, carrying freight, passengers and mail. Henry Goldsbrough, Sr., met the train daily with his "hack" to take to and carry from the train the mail and also to bring passengers to Nephi. At times there were more passengers than his vehicle could carry. York was in the north end of Juab Valley which had been unsettled, but after it became the terminus a number of homes were built, some railroad employees living there, as well as others. While that point was the terminal of the railroad, it was a lively, western frontier with something always happening.

An interesting account of the first steam engine seen in Nephi is taken from the journal of Bishop Thomas H. G. Parkes as follows:

On Saturday, May 3rd, 1879, the whistle of the first steam engine was heard in Nephi at 6:30 a.m. and on Monday, May 21st, the first train was run up to the depot. School children, men and women got on and rode down to Brother Charles Sperry's and back. The band was there, also.

Everyone was full of enthusiasm to welcome the train. The people were thrilled with the thought that Nephi could boast of a train coming to their town daily and anticipated the joy of riding in a railway car. (End of quote.)

In 1874 a new corporation known as the Utah Southern Extension Railroad Company, capitalized at $4,000,000, was formed for the purpose of building the road further into Southern Utah.[p.148] Construction was not undertaken until 1878-79 when the road was brought thirty miles to Juab, fourteen miles south of Nephi. Soon after it reached Juab, a new Utah Southern Extension Railroad Company was organized by Jay Gould and S. H. H. Clark of the Union Pacific, and officers of the Horn Silver Mine at Frisco. The purpose was to provide railroad connections with the mining projects in Beaver County. This line was completed in early 1880.

In 1881 the Utah Central, Utah Southern, Utah Southern Extension and the second Utah Southern Extension joined together to organize a new company which was called the Utah Central Railroad System. Now the entire line covered a distance of 280 miles south from Ogden. Railroading in Southern Utah by both the Mormon people and outside interests proved a boon to the mining industry and to the agriculturists of the regions through which the railroad ran.

The superintendent of the Utah Southern Railroad, having an eye to business, and for the accommodation of the people living in counties south of Salt Lake City, proposes, as we understand, to run two trains a day during the meeting of our coming conference. In addition to the usual train now leaving Provo daily at 12:30 p.m., we understand that another will leave Provo every morning about nine o'clock and return each afternoon, leaving Salt Lake City about four o'clock. Provo Times, April 18th

###