UtahRails.net

(This page printed from UtahRails.net, Copyright 2000-2019 Don Strack)

Wasatch & Jordan Valley Railroad (1872-1882)

Index For This Page

This page was last updated on June 29, 2019.

(Return to Wasatch & Jordan Valley Railroad page)

Overview

All locomotives built by the National Locomotive Works (also known as Dawson & Baily), of Connellsville, Pennsylvania; there are no known construction numbers assignable to these engines. (Read more about National/Dawson & Baily)

The 1883-84 "Engines in Utah Service" list shows the W&JV with an 0-6-0 numbered "1" and a 4-4-0 numbered "2," with an 0-6-0 of Dawson & Baily build as Utah & Pleasant Valley No. 1. This leaves a question about which ex W&JV locomotive went to U&PV. Since U&PV number 1 (2nd) was a locomotive with six drive wheels, it is likely that when W&JV number 2 was transferred to U&PV, W&JV number 3, a 4-4-0, was renumbered to become W&JV number 2 to fill its vacant slot. (see Salt Lake Herald, August 3, 1881)

The Hill Climber

Wasatch & Jordan Valley number 2, "Deseret," was equipped with James S. French's "Improvement in Locomotives", U. S. Patent 144,271. The patent was granted on June 7, 1873, and consisted of a rear set of drive wheels that were grooved in the middle of the wheel tread, with outside flanges that were designed to grip both outside edges of the railroad rail. These special rear drive wheels were held away from the rail surface until a force was applied by the engineer by use of a lever, lowering the special drive wheels to the rail surface, thus increasing the tractive power of the locomotive. The design could only be used on a railroad that was built specifically to accept the special drive wheels due to the special guard rails and frogs required on turnouts.

(Read more about the Hill Climber locomotive, also known as "Mr. French's Improvement")

Locomotive Roster

(This roster is based on the unpublished research completed by George Pitchard.)

Wasatch & Jordan Valley Railway 2-6-0 -- 2 locomotives

Road
Number
Name Builder Builder
Number
Date
Built
Date To
W&JV
1883 D&RGW
Number
1886 D&RGW
Number
Date
Vacated
Later
Number
Notes
W&JV 1 Chamois National [191] Feb 1873 28 Feb 1873 D&RGW 111 D&RGW 3     1
W&JV 2 Deseret National [192] Sep 1873 Oct 1873 D&RGW 110 D&RGW 2 May 1880 U&PV 1 2

Description:

  • Drive Wheel Diameter: 36 inches
  • Cylinders: 11x16 inches

General Notes:

  1. Wasatch & Jordan Valley number 1, "Chamois," was received in Salt Lake City on Friday, February 28, 1873, "having been four weeks on the journey," in charge of J. A. Lantz, Superintendent of the National Locomotive Works (see Salt Lake Herald, March 1, 1873). Cost of this loco was reported as $9,045.00, plus freight. The tender was reported as being 600 gallons capacity, mounted on six wheels, with a single axle at front and an ordinary four-wheel truck at rear. First operation of this locomotive on the W&JV was on March 3rd or 4th, 1873, under the direction of J. A. Lantz. At some unknown date, but probably prior to the D&RGW takeover, W&JV number 1 was changed from a 2-6-0 to an 0-6-0.
  2. Wasatch & Jordan Valley number 2 was built in 1873, named "Deseret"; known as "Mr. French's Hill Climber;" equipped with a special set of rear drivers that included a patented "Improvement in Locomotives" that was tested and found to be a failure; rebuilt to standard 2-6-0 (or 0-6-0).

Notes:

  1. Wasatch & Jordan Valley number 1 was built in 1873, named "Chamois"; to D&RGW 111 in 1883; to D&RGW number 3 in 1886; further disposition unknown.
  2. Wasatch & Jordan Valley number 2 was built in 1873, named "Deseret"; to Utah & Pleasant Valley number 1 in May 1880; to D&RGW 110 in 1883; to D&RGW number 2 in 1886; further disposition unknown.

 

Wasatch & Jordan Valley Railway 4-4-0 -- 1 locomotive

Road
Number
Builder Builder
Number
Date
Built
Date To
W&JV
1883 D&RGW
Number
1886 D&RGW
Number
Date
Vacated
Notes
W&JV 3 National [202] Dec 1874   D&RGW 114 D&RGW 5   1

Description:

  • Drive Wheel Diameter: 42 inches
  • Cylinders: 12x16 inches

Notes:

  1. Wasatch & Jordan Valley number 3 was built in 1874; to D&RGW 114 in 1883; to D&RGW number 5 in 1886; further disposition unknown.

###