Brooklyn Mine at Bingham

Index For This Page

This page was last updated on August 7, 2026.

(Return to Bingham Index Page)

Overview

(The Brooklyn was never worked as a standalone mine. Because the ore veins were somewhat continious, the Borrklyn mine was worked from its early days through underground connections with the adjacent Lead mine and the Yosemite mine. All three were absorbed by the Dalton & Lark company in 1896, and the Bingham Copper and Gold Mining Company in 1901.)

(Read more about the Lead Mine and Mill)

(Read more about the Yosemite Mine and Mill)

1884
"In 1884 the Brooklyn, Lead, and Yosemite mines, all situated in an area of deep oxidation, headed the list of Bingham producers. (Economic Geology of Bingham Mining District, Professional Paper 38, USGS, 1905, page 85)

1888
The regular shipments from the Lead mine to the Hanauer smelter continued from 1887 well into 1888. As in 1887, there were regular news items showing that the Lead mine shipped "the usual quantities" of "roasting" ore to the Hanauer smelter. Some reports were for 100-ton lots, or as high as 400 tons in early November 1888. The term regularly used as "the usual weekly lot." The news items did not show how the ore was moved from the mine to the Hanauer smelter. Shipments from the Brooklyn were usually shown as 30 to 50 tons.

October 1, 1888
"At Bingham -- On October 1st, the Lead mine people purchased the Brooklyn property, and soon afterwards extended the tramway to it, a distance of one and a half miles, and both mines are now operated by the Lead Mine Company, of which A. Hanauer is president and N. Treweek superintendent." (Salt Lake Herald, December 25, 1888)

October 7, 1888
"The Week -- The principle event in mining circles was the purchase, by the gentlemen owning the Lead mine, of the old Brooklyn property. The transaction was on a cash basis, and involved an amount not far short of $100,000. This places two of the most important ore producers of Bingham under the control of one company." (Salt Lake Herald, October 7, 1888)

December 12, 1888
The Lead mine and the Brooklyn mine -- "These two properties are now connected by tramway and are worked by the same company." (Salt Lake Herald, December 12, 1888)

June 9, 1889
The Lead mine and the Brooklyn mine each shipped 250 tons during the previous week. (Salt Lake Herald, June 9, 1889)

December 25, 1889
"The mines of Bingham commence about four miles down canyon. It is here that the Lead Mine company has its extensive plant or mill. The mill is capable of treating about a hundred tons of ore per day, and the company has a large amount of ore on hand. The company owns the Brooklyn mine, as well as the Lead mine, both of which are reached by a tramway operated by mule power, but the cars come down by gravitation." "The Brooklyn mine, the shaft having been re-timbered, is now in very fine shape, and is working seventy-five men." The Lead mine has its usual daily output of ore. The mine and mill employ forty-eight men." "The Brooklyn is the only mine that has attained any depth. It is down only about one thousand four hundred (1,400) feet, and the ore bodies got bigger and were of higher grade, as they went down." (Salt Lake Herald, December 25, 1889)

During 1890, the press reports stopped referring to the Lead mine, and reported on what the Brooklyn mine was shipping. Available information suggests that the Lead mine was almost worked out, and the owners bought the Brooklyn mine to maintain production of lead ore for the Hanauer smelter. The Brooklyn was deeper and its ore body was becoming larger.

January 4, 1890
There was a law suit filed, "Chas. A. Falco vs. Brooklyn Lead Mine Company, for damages; trial before a jury in progress." (Salt Lake Herald, January 4, 1890) (This possibly indicates that a new company was formed to own and operate the combined Lead mine and Brooklyn mine properties.) (The plaintiff is shown later as Charles S. Fales.)

June 14, 1890
"The Brooklyn has been working and producing continuously for twelve years, and is still outputting at the rate of forty tons a day. They are now down in the shaft to the 1400-foot level and sinking with three shifts for the next. There is eight feet of ore in this shaft that will average about 12 ounces in silver and 35 per cent lead for the first-class, and 5 to 10 ounces in silver and 25 per cent lead for the second. All of this ore is taken by tramway in two-ton cars to the Lead mill where it is concentrated." "The greater part of the production at this time comes from the twelve, thirteen and fourteen hundred foot levels. On the 1300 there is one stope of galena thirteen feet high. The mine is equipped with air drills and all the latest improvements in machinery. It is owned by Utah men and is managed by A. Hanauer of Salt Lake, and Charles Legg, superintendent at the mine. Last year the mine produced and sold the enormous amount of 23,000 tons of ore." (Salt Lake Tribune, June 14, 1890)

For the year 1890, of the nine mines that shipped more than 500 tons during the year, the "Brooklyn" mine (being the combined Brooklyn and Lead mines) was the number one shipper for the entire Bingham district, having shipped 18,350 tons of ore. Second was the South Galena mine with 9,600 tons of ore shipped, and third greatest producer was the Old Telegraph, with 2,302 tons shipped. (Salt Lake Times, January 1, 1891)

February 6, 1891
"In January shipments of Brooklyn concentrates from Lead mill to Leadville, Colorado, aggregated [900,000] pounds." "From Old Telegraph works, West Jordan, to Germania Lead Works to January, 302,300 pounds. The Brooklyn mine sent 613,040 pounds of ore to the Hanauer smelter in January, and the same received from the Yosemite No. 1 910,430 pounds; Yosemite No. 2 822,050 pounds." (Salt Lake Tribune, February 6, 1891)

March 8, 1891
"The Brooklyn -- The Lead mine tramway has been badly impeded by snow during the past week, and this cut down the Brooklyn shipments considerably." (Salt Lake Herald, March 8, 1891) (The Lead Mine is not included in the weekly summary)

March 15, 1891
"The Brooklyn -- The Lead mine tramway is in operation again, and the Brooklyn had its usual output of 250 tons." (Salt Lake Herald, March 15, 1891) (The Lead Mine is not included in the weekly summary)

1891-1892
"In 1891 and 1892, among 21 producing mines, the Old Jordan and Galena, Brooklyn, Highland, Telegraph, York, Petro, and Yosemite were the leading producers. From 1893 dates the decline of many silver-producing camps." (Economic Geology of Bingham Mining District, Professional Paper 38, USGS, 1905, page 85)

June 18, 1892
"The force of men on the Brooklyn tramway was increased the first of the week and three more cars were put on. Forty-two cars daily come down over this line now." (Salt Lake Tribune, June 18, 1892)

(This reference is to the 24-inch gauge horse and mule tram built by the Lead mine company built in 1882, to move the ore from the Lead mine, four and one-half miles to the Lead Mine company's mill, at the mouth of Bingham Canyon. The tram was later extended to seven miles to serve the Brooklyn mine.)

1895
Dalton and Lark Gold, Silver and Lead Mining Company was organized to consolidate 16 claims (155 acres), including the Dalton, Lark, Brooklyn and Keystone properties. These mines had become inactive because of water drainage problems. The new company built a four-mile horse tramway to connect the Dalton and Lark mines with the Rio Grande Western at Lead Mine station. (Salt Lake Mining Review, October 30, 1899, p. 5; "hardly four years ago")

The Brooklyn property had earlier, in October 1888, been purchased by the owners of the Lead Mine, also located near the top of Copper Gulch.

December 29, 1895
"Work is progressing on the great Bingham tunnel, which has now been driven about 160 feet, size 8x7 feet. A good wagon road having been built from the valley, and grading of a site for bunk houses and electric works and facing of tunnel completed, the main work will now progress more rapidly. This enterprise, which is ultimately to furnish water for irrigating a tract of land, will be of immense benefit to the mines of the section it traverses, including the Brooklyn, Dalton & Lark, Galena, etc., as it will drain them at great depth." (Salt Lake Tribune, December 29, 1895)

Work on the tunnel began in June 1895, "six months ago," although planning and preparation had been taking place over the previous two years. (Salt Lake Tribune, January 1, 1896)

January 1, 1896
"Brooklyn Lead Company" "The tramway belonging to this company was operated most of the year and the concentrating mill run part of the time on custom ores. Mining was done on the Brooklyn, Keystone and several other properties belonging to the company, resulting in the shipment of about 1500 tons of ore and concentrates during the year. The Keystone was developed into a regular shipper and will in the future be heard from through its production." (Salt Lake Tribune, January 1, 1896)

February 16, 1896
The following comes from a lengthy summary of the Lead mine in the February 16, 1896 issue of the Salt Lake Herald:

The recent purchase by the owners of Dalton and Lark Mining company of the properties of their opponents in what might have developed into the biggest instance of mining litigation ever seen in Utah, and which was happily adjusted by an expenditure of large sums of money for mines and adjuncts, puts the Dalton and Lark to the fore in the holding of mineral ground in the West Mountain district.

It is presumed that no other mining company in Utah controls as many locations, as many developed mines and as many miles of railway, as many mills and hoisting plants as the Dalton & Lark now possesses, and if any other association in the state controls property that has had as many feet of work done on shafts, levels, winzes and stopes The Herald has not heard of the incident." The Lead mine was at one time owned by the Omaha and Grant Smelting company.

The Lead mine was the first mine to be developed and worked in the gulch on the east side of the Oquirrh mountains in which it is located, and it had produced at least two-thirds of its total output in tons before the Dalton & Lark and many other properties running down into the foothills were heard or dreamed of." Its total production had been estimated to be nearly 400,000 tons.

The first attempt that was made to concentrate the waste dumps of the Lead mine was in 1881, when crude ore was hauled over to the old Butterfield mill, three miles distant, and so successful was the experiment notwithstanding the long haul, that the company decided to construct its own mill and treat all of its second-class ores. A mill site was secured near the mouth of Bingham canyon four miles distant on the old Curtis farm, and early in 1883 it commenced operations, running successfully until it was closed down some months ago. At the same time a tramway was constructed connecting the mine and the mill, and later this was extended around into the Brooklyn gulch so that the waste ores of the mine of the same name were treated in the Lead mill. The total length of the tramway is now a little over eight miles, and the demands for transportation from other mining companies is such that daily extensions are being made.

Three groups of mines were included in the transaction whereby the Dalton and Lark Mining company secured control of one of the greatest aggregations of rich mineral ground seldom found under one management. One of these, the Brooklyn group, consists of the Banner, First West Extension Telegraph, Telegraph, Revere, Summit, Trinity spring lodes and the Trinity Millsite," giving a run of 4,500 feet on the Brooklyn ledge of the vein. A crosscut from the southwest face of the Lark mine at the 800 level, to connect with the Brooklyn, 200 feet below its lowest workings. This would allow the Brooklyn to drain into the Lark shaft, and pumping and hoisting would be done through the Lark shaft. "The Lead mine group, also purchased from the Lead Mine company, consists of the June Blossom, Clara, Fraction, Murray, Carlisle, Peurith, Louise, Lead Mine, Carbonate, Rustin, Nash, Richmond and Richard claims," giving a range of 4,500 feet. The purchase also included the Keystone group, comprising the Keystone, Keystone No. 2, Freedom and Blaine mining claims, giving about 2,000 feet in length on the Keystone lode.

The company also purchased the Lead mill near the mouth of Bingham canyon and a large tract of land, on which there are a number of mill buildings, including offices, blacksmith shops, boarding houses, etc. The mill is capable of treating about 150 tons of ore daily, and is considered one of the best plants in the country. The company also acquired title to the lead mine tramway, running from the Lead mill to the Lead mine, a distance of six miles, besides about two miles of extensions.

The Dalton and Lark also owns and operates the mill at the Lark shaft, which has a capacity of about 50 tons of ore daily.

An important feature in connection with this enterprise is the Bingham Tunnel, now being constructed by the Bingham Tunnel company. This tunnel, as projected, runs nearly parallel with the Lark lode, and between it and the Brooklyn. This tunnel, which will be 16,000 feet in length, will drain the group and develop the ore bodies at a depth of about 550 feet below the lowest workings, which will give an addition to the life of the mines of many years.

A company will be organized within a few days to develop this consolidated property under the name of the Dalton and Lark Gold, Silver and lead Mining and Milling company." Manager of the new property was J. Schenck, who was also an owner with H. H. Rea. (Salt Lake Herald, February 16, 1896)

February 24, 1896
Articles of incorporation for the new Dalton and Lark Gold, Silver and Lead Mining and Milling company will be filed tomorrow (February 24). President would be J. Schenck, with H. H. Rea as vice president; James H. Bacon, treasurer; J. K. Schenck secretary; with C. H. Jacobs and J. M. Rea as additional directors. "The company's holdings will consist of the Dalton & Lark consolidated properties in Bingham consisting of the original Dalton & Lark mines, hoists and mills, and the groups of claims formerly owned by the Lead Mine company, comprising the Lead Mine group, the Brooklyn group and the Richmond group, together with the Lead Mine company's mill, tramway, hoists and appurtenances, thus making the largest aggregation of producing mines ever before brought under one management in the west." "The two mills owned by the company are capable of treating 200 tons of concentrating ore daily, while the company can boast of five steam hoists and eight miles of tramway, while the consolidated property embraces thirty-one mining claims, aggregating 155 acres." (Salt Lake Herald, February 23, 1896)

(A complete report, by Prof. O. A. Palmer, describing the new consolidated company was published in the February 23, 1896 issue of the Salt Lake Tribune.)

August 16, 1896
"The Dalton & Lark property at the present time includes six mines actually producing -- Dalton, Lark, Brooklyn, Keystone, Richmond, Old Lead Mine and Revere-Gladstone. The united output for August promises to be considerably over 3000 tons." (Salt Lake Herald, August 16, 1896; Salt Lake Herald, August 17, 1896)

October 3, 1900
Farnsworth, and his new partner William F. Snyder, made the payment of $55,000 due on their purchase of the Dalton & Lark property, meaning that the sale was to be completed very soon. The property included the "old Lead mine group, the Antelope, Brooklyn and other ground, through which no less than three splendid veins are known to run and from the surface workings of which splendid fortunes have been taken in years gone by, but on which operations ceased at the water level or above." The sale also included practical control of the Dalton & Lark organization itself. (Salt Lake Herald, October 3, 1900)

April 30, 1901
The stockholders of the Bingham Copper and Gold Mining Company were notified that their company had been sold to a new company by the name of Bingham Consolidated Mining and Smelting Company, incorporated in Maine for the purpose of exchanging stock between the old and new companies, and to purchase the properties of the Dalton & Lark, Brooklyn, Antelope and other groups, and for the purchase of the Copper Belt Railway. The Dalton & Lark and other groups consist of twenty-eight claims, embracing over 200 acres. The plan had already been endorsed by 75 per cent of the stockholders, and the remaining stockholders had until May 8, 1901 to exchange their stock in the old company, for stock in the new company. (Deseret Evening News, April 30, 1901)

May 1901
"Purchase of Dalton and Lark-Brooklyn-Yosemite group and consolidation with Bingham Gold and Copper Mining Company as Bingham Consolidated Mining Company." (Economic Geology of the Bingham Mining District, USGS Professional Paper No. 38, 1905, page 99)

###