The Silver Brothers and Iron and Steel In Utah

Index For This Page

This page was last updated on July 13, 2026.

(Return to Iron and Steel Index Page)

Silver Brothers (1862-1915)

The Silver Brothers were among the first of several foundries and machine shops in Utah, 1850 to 1950, that helped form Utah's industrial base, especially the mines, mills, and factories. These were the companies that made machines that made machines. They made "big iron" that kept Utah's industrial base going.

The Silver Iron Works’ was established in the early 1860s by William John Silver (1832-1918), a Mormon immigrant born in London, England. Silver’s original foundry and machine shop was located at 149 West North Temple (demolished c.1910). In 1886, William J. Silver's sons took over the family business and formed the Silver Brothers Iron Works. John A. Silver (1855-1916) was president, with Hyrum A. Silver (1859-1921) as vice-president, and Joseph A. Silver (1857-1930) as secretary-treasurer. Their company was the largest iron, steel and brass foundry in the Salt Lake area, and began to manufacture machinery for Utah's sugar beet industry.

William J. Silver (1832-1918) (KWCB-XRP)

John A. Silver (1855-1916) (KWNG-HZM)

Joseph A. Silver (1857-1930) (KWC7-HYM)

Hyrum A. Silver (1859-1921) (KW82-TX4)

The Silver Brothers shop was in Salt Lake City. Their address was 540 West Seventh South. Although Silver Brothers itself is gone, that original building is still there, with numerous additions that were added over the years.

(This was the original Silver Brothers location until 1915, then Salt Lake Iron & Steel, 1915-1925, then Eastern Iron & Metal, 1925-1935, then Eimco after 1935; closed by Eimco in 1986.)

In 1906, Hyrum Silver sold his interest to his brothers and established his own machine shop at 454 West 500 North, which was later demolished. The same year, 1906, the Silver Brothers firm built a much larger foundry in the southwest portion of Salt Lake City on 700 South between what is now 500 and 600 West. The new location was between two railroad lines and near the 700 South (Poplar Grove) streetcar line. In 1992 that original structure remained but was surrounded concrete block-additions from the 1950s to 1970s. The office was built in about 1909, and faced 700 South. The 1911 Sanborn map shows that adjacent warehouse a pattern shop and for pattern storage.

During this period, the Silver Brothers Iron Works boasted it was the "Largest Foundry, Machine Shop, Boiler Shop, and Blacksmith Shop, in the West." It also had a large stock of "I Beams, Channels, Angles" and produced "Manganese Steel Castings from 5 Pounds to 5 Tons."

Joseph A. Silver later purchased his brother John’s interest. In the 1907 Polk directory, Joseph Silver is listed as president, with James Silver, his son, as general manager. In 1915, Joseph sold his interests and moved to New York. The foundry was renamed Salt Lake Iron and Steel Company.

In 1893, when he bought the old Sun Foundry in Provo and put it into operating condition, Silver was the only member of the American Society of Mechanical Engineers in the Utah territory. (Daily Enquirer, June 6, 1893)

William Silver's Early Years

William Silver had come to Utah in 1859 at age 27 and had opened his iron works in 1862. He built the first steam engine in the territory, and in 1868 he also built the first steam engine to be used on Great Salt Lake. The boat was called the "Kate Connor" and was built for General P. E. Connor.

September 12, 1860
Advertisement from the Deseret News, September 12, 1860.

Millwork And Machinery. - We are prepared to build or repair all kinds of Millwork and Machinery, including water, wind and horse powers; drills, reapers and thrashers; sugar and farming mills by contract or otherwise, at the lowest prices for ready pay.

Those having States machinery will find it to their advantage to employ us.

Cast iron wanted, 6c. per lb. for hard, and 9c. for soft metal.

Our terms are — Store pay, produce of all kinds at the current rates, 10 per cent. discount for cash.

Wm. J. Silver,
J. Forbes,
East side of 10th Ward, G. S. L. City.

(The above advertisement ran weekly through April 1861.)

(During the 1860s, Salt Lake City's Tenth Ward—originally organized in February 1849—spanned a nine-block area bounded by 3rd South on the north, 6th South on the south, 6th East on the west, and the east bench at about 10th East. Centered around Tenth Ward Square at 800 East and 400 South, this section of the city served as the community hub for the ward's meetinghouses, schoolhouse, and local cooperative store. The Silver foundry being on the east side of the 10th Ward explains the generic address.)

December 25, 1861
Advertisement from the Deseret News, December 25, 1861.

Eagle Works Iron Foundry & Machine Shop

East Side, 10th Ward, Great Salt Lake City.

Wm J. Silver,
Jno Forbes

March 5, 1862
Advertisement from the Deseret News, March 5, 1862.

Eastern Machinery.
All necessary information on Weights and Prices may be obtained of the undersigned, free of charge. Plans and Estimates furnished for Cotton and Woolen Mills, &c., on moderate terms.

Wm J. Silver,
Eagle Works, 10th Ward, G.S.L. City.

July 4, 1864
Advertisement from the Salt Lake Daily Telegraph, July 4, 1864.

Wm. J. Silver,
Civel and Mechanical Engineer and Draftsman.
Patent Office Drawings Prepared.
19th Ward, one block north of Union Square.

(The above advertisement ran daily through August 1864. Then until October 1864, and from the same location, Silver began offering the pattern making for castings. The location was also noted as being his residence.)

(During the 1860s, Salt Lake City's Nineteenth Ward—originally organized in February 1849—covered an expansive area in the city's northwest section, bounded by 2nd North on the south, Main Street and Arsenal Hill on the east, Warm Springs [900 North] to the north, and extending west to the Jordan River. Gathering initially at Warm Springs and later at a permanent meeting house erected in 1866 near 400 North and 200 West, this large, open ward served as the administrative and spiritual hub for early settlers in the area before later being split into smaller municipal wards.)

(Also during the 1860s, Union Square occupied a 10-acre city block bounded by 300 North on the north, 200 North on the south, 300 West on the east, and 400 West on the west. Designated in the original 1847 city survey as one of four public squares, it functioned during the pioneer period as a major public gathering space and camping ground for newly arrived wagon trains. The property was deeded to the University of Deseret in 1880 and has served as the location of Salt Lake City's West High School since 1901.)

April 5, 1865
Advertisement from the Deseret News, April 5, 1865.

Wm. J. Silver,
Engineer, Machinist & Millwright.

Is prepared to furnish plans and estimates for Grist and Saw Mills; Cotton, Wool, Flax and other Factories; Water Wheels, Windmills, &c.; and to execute either the whole or part by contract.

Patterns for Spur and Bevel Wheels, and any other Castings.

Sewing Machines, Telegraph and other apparatus, repaired.

Safe Locks repaired and keys fitted.

Press Work and Printing Office Fittings.

Turning and Fitting to order.

All necessary information concerning Weights and prices given to those sending East or West, for Machinery.

At the Old Nail Factory, 19th Ward.

October 8, 1869
Advertisement from the Deseret News, October 8, 1869.

Wm. J. Silver,
Engineer & Machinist
Iron Turning and Boring, Drawings, Plans, and Specifications, Patterns, Brass Castings, etc.

19th. Ward, Five Blocks North of the Tabernacle, on the Telegraph line.

(Similar, and at times more extensive advertisements at the same location in the 19th Ward continued regularly well into May 1872, then no advertisements until he became associated with the newly organized Salt Lake City Iron Works in November 1874.)

July 1873
William J. Silver installed the gas, steam and water pipes and fittings in the City Hall, including a chandelier with six burners in the Legislative Hall. (Deseret News, July 18, 1873; July 23, 1873)

July 1874
William J. Silver manufactured an embossing press for the Deseret News. It could be run by hand or by steam power. (Desert News, July 14, 1874)

August 1874
William J. Silver received a British patent for a water pump he installed in the Emma mine. The pump had a 16-inch cylinder, a 24 -inch stroke, and was 60 horsepower. It was reported as being the largest pump in the territory. (Deseret News, August 31, 1874)

November 21, 1874
"Another Iron Working Establishment. — We are pleased to learn that a number of prominent and well known citizens of this City have purchased the foundry and machine shops hitherto known as the Salt Lake Iron Works, which ceased working several months ago, and of which [sic: John Sloan & Co., see December 2, below] were the former proprietors. The purchasers have organized themselves into a company under the name and style of the Salt Lake City Iron Company. The works are situated a short distance south of the railroad depot. The well known ingenious and expert mechanic, Mr. William J. Silver, has been appointed superintendent, and work was commenced in the establishment today. Mr. Silver is having all his tools and machinery removed from his shops in the 10th Ward to the iron works. The company have already purchased ten tons of home-made iron from the Great Western Company of Iron Co., with which to commence operations." (Deseret News, November 21, 1874)

November 23, 1874
"The Salt Lake City Iron Company announce that they have purchased the Salt Lake Iron Works and added thereto Mr. W. J. Silver's tools and machinery, and are thus prepared to do all kinds of iron and brass casting, forging, turning, boring and fitting up. Mr. Silver is engaged to superintend the works, and he guarantees good and accurate work. Drawings, plans, and specifications of all kinds of millwork and machinery." (Deseret News, November 23, 1874)

December 2, 1874
"Iron Works. — In speaking of the organization of the Salt Lake City Iron Company and their purchase of the Salt Lake Iron Works, the News of Saturday inadvertently stated that the former proprietors of the works were John Sloan & Co., which was an error. It should have been stated that the Salt Lake Iron Company were the former proprietors and Major Wilkes was superintendent. Mr. Sloan's foundry is opposite the City meat market where he still carries on business, and is about to enlarge his premises to double their present capacity, with a view to going into the machine as well as boiler-making business." (Deseret News, December 2, 1874)

April 1875
Silver was manufacturing "another of those steam plunger Pumps," smaller in capacity than the one in the Emma mine, but throws the water a greater distance, throwing 450 gallons per minute to a height of 400 feet. It is being built for the Ontario mine in Parley's Park. It was made of Utah iron from the Great Western company's works in Iron City in Iron County. Silver is also conducting a drawing school at the plant, with 16 students attending. (Deseret News, April 14, 1875)

November 1877
William Silver manufactured a sampling machine for the Pioneer Sampling Works in Sandy. The machine was run by steam, replacing a machine run by hand. The sampling machine was about eight feet by six feet, and stood 40 feet tall. It reduced a 10 ton sample down to 300 pounds in one operation, running on only about two horsepower. Th new sampling machine is as significant as the pump installed in the Ontario mine. (Deseret News, November 1, 1877)

March 1878
William J. Silver & Son have just completed a new hoist for the Ontario Mining company, at their mine in Park City. It was the heaviest made so far in the Territory. The hoist was capable of hoisting down to 1000 feet, run by two 40-horsepower engines. The spur wheels were nine feet in diameter. (Deseret News, March 30, 1878)

February 13, 1879
William J. Silver moved his business "Wm. J. Silver," to a new location, offering his services as an engineer and machinist. (Deseret News, February 13, 1879)

(The Salt Lake Iron Company became the Salt Lake City Iron Company in 1874 when William J. Silver became the company's superintendent. He continued at that location until 1879 when he moved to 149 West North Temple. Silver may have moved his foundry to allow expansion of the railroad yards.)

(The new location was "North Temple St., south side, bet. West Temple and First West Sts., Salt Lake City." This corresponds with the later address of 149 West North Temple.)

Silver Iron Works (1879-1889)

December 1879
Silver had changed the name of his company from Salt Lake City Iron Company, to the Silver Iron Works as early as December 1879. (Deseret News, December 20, 1879)

(Silver Iron Works was located at 149 West North Temple.)

(An article in the November 30, 1900 issue of The Salt Lake Mining Review there is a notation, "In the course of time, after several years of successful operation, Mr. Silver sold out his establishment and for a time it was conducted under another name and under the management of other people. In fact, several changes marked the history of this important enterprise before it reverted back again to its originator, to be by him transferred into the hands of his sons.")

(There are blank spots in the series of almost daily advertisements for the Silver Iron Works. But a blank spot in advertisements may not indicate ownership and operation by other parties. The first blank spot after the name change in 1879 is between December 1879 and May 1883 (41 months). Another is between July 1883 and March 1884 (8 months). Another is between June 1884 and April 1885 (10 months). There are no advertisements after April 1885, and throughout 1886, and until December 1887 (31 months), when the advertisement start again, and continue through July 1888. Classified advertisements for "moulders" begin in June 1889, and the normal advertisements for the newly organized Silver Bros. Iron Works start in October 1889.)

(During this first period of 41 months, December 1879 to May 1883, there are no advertisements for an iron works on North Temple street.)

(The only iron works advertising was the Daniel Dunne Iron Works on First West and Second South. Dunne may have assumed the business of the Silver Iron Works, but not its location.)

(After turning over his Silver Iron Works business to his three sons in October 1889, in 1892 William Silver became involved with the Sun Foundry in Provo.)

William Silver in Provo (1892-1895)

January 3, 1892
"The Sun Foundry people [at Provo] have succeeded in getting Mr. Wm. J. Silver, the mechanical engineer, of Salt Lake, to interest himself in their institution. He will fill the position of superintendent. Mr. Silver's ability as an engineer and machinist is so well known that comment is unnecessary. It is thought under his management the foundry will undergo a great change for the better. This foundry has had a good run since the new organization, with Colonel C. D. Moore as manager, having received a large contract for waterworks supplies from Salt Lake, as well as from Provo since the system was inaugurated. Mr. Silver has taken considerable stock in the business and expects to make his permanent home in Provo. Colonel Moore still retains the position of president and general manager." (Salt Lake Herald, January 3, 1892)

January 15, 1892
"The Sun Foundry and Machine company [at Provo] yesterday effected a change in officers, completed the stock taking and footing up accounts. Colonel C. D. Moore is still president, William J. Silver, vice-president and superintendent, Charles Smith, treasurer and John E. Booth, secretary. The business of the past year has far exceeded that of any former year and the outlook at present with additional machinery facilities is very encouraging." (Salt Lake Herald, January 15, 1892)

In May 1893, with the Sun Foundry & Machine Co. in receivership, William Silver leased the foundry from the receiver and continued its operation.

May 25, 1893
"W. J. Silver has leased the Sun Foundry & Machine shops, and will commence operations in a few days. He has ordered several additions to the plant from the East." The Sun Foundry was renamed as the "Silver Iron Works." (Provo Daily Enquirer, May 25, 1893; June 1, 1893)

(Sources are unclear for the period in 1893 and the Sun Foundry's financial troubles, but research suggests that William Silver may have purchased control of the Sun Foundry from the receiver in late 1893. Advertisements showing Silver as superintendent ended in late May 1894, and in July 1895, Silver leased the Sun Foundry to Henry Stagg, one of the employees suing the Sun company for back wages.)

July 1, 1895
"Henry Stagg has leased the Sun Foundry of W. J. Silver, who has decided to remove to Salt Lake." Stagg resumed operation of the foundry, but only briefly. (Provo Daily Enquirer, July 1, 1895; Salt Lake Tribune, July 2, 1895)

After the Sun Foundry in Provo, operating as part of the Silver Iron Works enterprise, was shut down in May 1894, William Silver returned to his interests in Salt Lake City.

(Read more about the Sun Foundry and Machine Company)

Silver Bros. Iron Works (1889)

(Site 1, 1889-1907, was located at 149 West North Temple)

(Site 2, 1907-1915, was located at 550 West Seventh South, which was the address of the office. The plant itself took up the entire southeast quadrant of the block.)

In later years, Silver Iron Works became Silver Brothers Iron Works, being managed by Silver's three sons, John, Hyrum and Joseph. William Silver was born in London, England, came to Utah in 1859 and died at age 86 on November 6, 1918. (Salt Lake Herald, May 6, 1897; Salt Lake Mining Review, November 15, 1918)

October 13, 1889
"The undersigned have purchased the shops, tools and grounds of the Silver Iron Works and will continue the foundry and machine business at the old location, 149 West North Temple street, under the name Silver Bros. Iron Works. signed Joseph A. Silver, Hyrum A. Silver, John A. Silver" (Salt Lake Herald, October 13, 1889)

October 15, 1889
From the Salt Lake Herald, October 15, 1889.

Jos. A. Silver, John A. Silver.

Silver Bros' Iron Works

Build Steam Engines and Boilers from 2 horse power and up for any purpose.

Swing Cut-off Saws, all kinds of Saw Mandrels, Pivot or Plain Hangers. All sizes of Shafting turned to order. All sizes of special light Pulley Cranes or Crabs built to order.

Iron Columns and Stove Fronts, Chilled Mining and Street Car Wheels, Mining and Gravel Cars.

Iron and Brass Castings
Of Every Description.

Heavy Iron Castings A Specialty.

149 West North Temple Street.

September 10, 1895
"Silver Brothers. - One of the important manufacturing enterprises of this City which has done much to add to the prosperity of the city is the establishment conducted by Messrs. Silver Bros 149 North West Temple street. The plant is one of the most extensive of the kind in the West covering an area of ground 1020 rods. The plant consists of a machine shop, foundry, blacksmith shop and pattern shop. All of these are thoroughly well equipped with the most approved machinery that has been contrived for the manufacture of the various articles that are turned out at this establishment consisting of steam engines, boilers, mining, milling and smelting machinery and a great variety of other machinery and implements. Messrs. Silver Bros also do a large business in the manufacture of heavy store fronts and other building work. The business was established in 1886. The present firm succeeded to the business of Mr. W. J. Silver. No less than sixty-five hands are kept constantly employed, while two wagons are always busy hauling goods to customers. The machine shop is worthy of inspection by anyone who is interested in machine work, as it is a particularly well appointed two-story brick and iron building, in which may be seen some of the latest devices. The company have lately put into their works, at a great expense, one of Messers' Patent Corrugating machines for corrugating chilled iron rolls for flour mills. This is by far the best machine for the purpose ever invented and the only one west of the Missouri river. It uses eight tools at one time, making eight corrugations at every stroke, and does its work so accurately that it is impossible to tell where it commenced or finished, and every corrugation is of equal depth. They have also added grinders of the latest design, embracing all the latest improvements, and are now prepared to regrind and corrugate flour mill rolls in the best possible manner and with the least possible delay. The company brought from the East an expert mechanic to run this machine, one who has had eight years' practical experience with Wilford & Northway Manufacturing company, Minneapolis, one of the leading firms of its kind in the country. The members of the firm are Messrs Joseph A., Hyrum A. and John A. Silver, all active, wide-awake and enterprising business men, who have resided in this city since childhood, coming here from New York in 1853." (Deseret News, September 10, 1895)

July 24, 1897
"One of the important manufacturing enterprises of Salt Lake City, and one which has added much to the prosperity of the city, is the iron works of Silver Bros., 149 West North Temple street. The plant is one of the largest in the West and is thoroughly equipped in every particular." "The Silver brothers manufacture steam engines, boilers, mining, milling, smelting machinery and implements. They also manufacture building fronts and other iron work for large buildings. In the line of general machine work this firm is prepared to undertake contracts of any nature, simple of intricate." "The business was established in 1863 by Mr. W. J. Silver, the present firm succeeding him. The members of the firm are Messrs. Joseph A., Hyrum A. and John A. Silver. They came to Salt Lake in 1859 when in boyhood." (Deseret Evening News, July 24, 1897)

March 25, 1898
"The Silver Bros. Iron Works company was incorporated yesterday, to manufacture machinery, structural iron and steelwork in this city. The capital stock is $90,000, divided into 900 shares. John A. Silver is president, Hyrum A. Silver, vice-president, and Joseph A. Silver, treasurer, secretary and manager." (Salt Lake Tribune, March 26, 1898)

June 15, 1899
"At the Silver Brothers Iron works company Manager Joseph A. Silver was so busy that he could hardly take time to tell The Review what his company had been doing during the past two weeks, but it was learned that during this period the concern had filled an order for a friction drum for the Swansea company; a beet wheel for the Utah Sugar company, a mining cage for the Victoria mine, ten ore cars for the Grand Central, besides which 30,000 pounds of castings had been turned out for the Highland Boy smelter." (Salt Lake Mining Review, June 15, 1899)

May 30, 1901
"Silver Bros.' Foundry has booked many heavy orders during the past month for mining machinery and supplies and for building material, such as structural steel and castings." (Salt Lake Mining Review, May 30, 1901)

March 30, 1906
The Silver Brothers Iron Works was among the eight foundries being targeted by the Iron Moulders' union in a strike to improve working conditions and increase wages. (Salt Lake Telegram, March 30, 1906)

August 11, 1906
From the Deseret News, August 11, 1906.

The buildings of the Hyrum A. Silver Foundry & Machine company, have just been completed at 454 W. 5th North, and which is one of the largest concerns of its kind in the city.

The firm is officered by the following: Jos. J. Daynes, Jr., President; Hyrum A. Silver, Vice President and Manager; Seymour B. Robbins, Secretary and Treasurer; George J. Silver, assistant Manager. These with Willard T. Cannon, Arthur Winter, Culbert L. Olsen, Edward E. Jenkins and Ernest D. Rumel, constitute the directorate.

Mr. Hyrum A. Silver, who is manager of the firm, is one of the originators of the Silver Bros. Iron Works company, who recently severed his connections with that firm and organized the new firm under the above name.

The firm herewith represented is prepared to handle anything in the Machine or Foundry line, and will in a short time be prepared to make steel castings, which will be of great importance to the State, as heretofore it has been impossible to secure anything in the steel casting line this side of St. Louis or Chicago.

The firm has in its shops some of the largest and latest improved machines to be procured in the eastern market and being located on the railroad line are in a fair condition to compete favorably with any in their line of business. The firm will employ, when in full running order, about seventy-five men.

(The Hyrum Silver foundry was leased to the Lundin & May partnership in 1912, and sold to them in 1926. The Lundin & May Foundry & Machine company was incorporated in 1921. The plant later became the May Foundry.)

(Read more about the May Foundry)

1907
Silver Brothers moved from their location at 149 West North Temple street, to a larger location at 7th South and 5th West (today's 600 West). (Salt Lake Herald, November 5, 1915)

(The move was in May 1907. The last advertisement showing the old address was on May 19, 1907. The first advertisement for the new location at 540 West Seventh South was on May 25, 1907.)

(Silver Brothers was where Copper Belt sent its wrecked Shays for repairs on at least four occasions: 1904, 1907, 1908 and 1912.)

(In June 1910, "A. R. Lundin, of Salt Lake, has been appointed superintendent of the foundry department of the Silver Brothers Iron Works Co." -- Salt Lake Mining Review, June 30, 1910)

(Lundin in 1912 left the Silver Brothers company to start the Lundin & May Foundry, in partnership with Reuben May, formerly with the Salt Lake Engineering Works.)

June 12, 1911
"Steel casting equipment is being installed at the Silver Brothers' Iron Works company, Seventh South between Fourth and Fifth West streets, which when completed, in about two weeks, will make possible there the manufacture of almost any casting necessary for the machinery parts of mining, milling and manufacturing establishments. One converter is being installed and another one will be added as soon as the business justifies it. The new equipment will materially increase the working forces at the plant, which number over 200 during the busy season." (Salt Lake Telegram, June 12, 1911)

August 5, 1911
First Steel In Utah - Summarized from the Deseret News, August 5, 1911.

Although it is not yet widely known, a high grade of commercial steel is currently being manufactured within the city limits.

The manufacturing process has moved well beyond the experimental stage, utilizing the same methods found in the major converting plants of Eastern cities like Pittsburg and New Orleans. Although the local output is currently modest, it is steady, and the manufacturers anticipate that growing business will require them to double or triple their converter capacity within the next two or three years.

This local steel-manufacturing operation has been established at the Silver Brothers' iron works. At present, the furnaces are fired twice a week, and only one converter is in use. Under the direction of manager Joseph A. Silver, the workforce is actively learning the art of steel manufacture, and the plant is already regularly filling orders for local products.

The converter system produces the steel metal to a liquid state so it can be poured directly into casting moulds. This modern method has revolutionized the industry, as it bypasses the older, slower, and more expensive practice of casting a single massive ingot that had to be reshaped through multiple rounds of mill rolling.

The process requires extreme heat and precise timing when adding alloys. Molten pig iron and scrap steel are moved via an overhead electric traveling crane from the cupola to the converter. High-pressure blasts of oxygen are then sent through the converter to burn off impurities, creating a dramatic, pyrotechnic-like display of sparks. Workers judge when the product is sufficiently "cooked" by watching the air-blast flame before adding alloys and pouring the steel.

Earlier in the year, Silver spent two months studying Eastern steel plants and has since overseen the machinery installation and training of his workmen. Following various experiments and rearrangements, the plant is fully operational and meeting local demands.

Joseph Silver notes that the plant is the only one of its kind west of Chicago, with a similar facility currently being installed in San Francisco. The machinery used was manufactured right in their own machine shops. Silver views the enterprise as a major undertaking that will boost the local economy, provide extensive employment, and foster regional prosperity. Utah-made steel from the plant is already being utilized for large machinery castings, and Silver plans to continuously install modern machinery and increase capacity as business dictates.


November 5, 1915
Silver Brothers Iron and Foundry Works was reorganized in November 1915 as the Salt Lake Iron & Steel Co., with members of the Silver family still as members of the board. James W. Silver was to be general manager of the new company. The articles of incorporation were to be filed "today." (Salt Lake Herald, November 5, 1915)

(John A. Silver died on March 22, 1916.)

The reorganization of the company was due to debt and other losses. One of the grandsons of the original William J. Silver, James Watson Silver, although named as general manager, left the company in May 1916 and moved to Ogden and founded the Ogden Iron Works, which manufactured machinery for the sugar beet and mining industries. He was apparently the last of the Silver family associated with the former Silver Brothers company, after Joseph A. Silver retired earlier in 1916. Ogden Iron Works went out of business in 1991.

(Read more about the Salt Lake Iron & Steel company, as an independent company)

William J. Silver (1832-1918)

In later years, Silver Iron Works became Silver Brothers Iron Works, being managed by Silver's three sons, John, Hyrum and Joseph. William Silver was born in London, England, came to Utah in 1859 and died at age 86 on November 6, 1918. (Salt Lake Herald, May 6, 1897; Salt Lake Mining Review, November 15, 1918)

From the Salt Lake Mining Review, November 15, 1818.

Mr. Silver built the first steam engine ever used in Utah. This was in November, 1868. At the time facilities for such a task, west of the Rocky Mountains, were limited. Gray iron was practically unobtainable, while brass could be obtained in limited quantities only, and while the casting of this engine was of brass, no unnecessary amount of copper was used. For the making of the castings Mr. Silver paid a dollar a pound, furnishing the material himself, which cost twenty-five cents a pound. As a result of furnishing his own copper he was enabled to make a considerable saving, as the price of brass castings at that time was $1.50 per pound. So far as possible the engine was made of wrought iron, the material for which was obtained from iron taken from broken-down wagons. The base plate was composed of flat plates bolted together, these plates being made from the tires of old wagons. The bolts were made from old log chain links. The frame, connecting rod, main shaft and other forgings were forged from old wagon irons. For a flywheel Mr. Silver was fortunate in obtaining a gear which had been part of a threshing machine, and this gear was used for this purpose without tearing off the teeth, grey iron being altogether too valuable a material to waste for mere looks. Alongside the flywheel was a wooden belt-pulley. The engine had a 3 1/2 by 7-inch cylinder and Mr. Silver received $600 for it. It was built to drive wood-working machinery.

Mr. Silver also constructed the first steamboat to be used on the Great Salt Lake. It was built for General Conner, then in charge of Ft. Douglas, and was named the "Kate Connor." It was ninety feet in length by thirty feet wide. The machinery for this boat was supplied by Mr. Silver, although he did not build the engine. For this equipment a crank and flywheel steam pump was obtained, and by disconnecting the water end and gearing the pump to the paddle-wheel shaft it was made to drive the boat. The pump had no globe valve and such a thing could not be obtained in the then Territory of Utah. Eventually a two-inch plug cock was found and this was made to serve the purpose of a throttle. The boat was used on the lake for several years and gave excellent service.

Not long after the first engine was built by Mr. Silver the first merchant iron was brought into Salt Lake, consisting of half a dozen 5/8-inch round bars. Mr. Silver immediately purchased all of this iron at 25 cents a pound. His first vice cost him $65.

###

More Information

Foundry article at Wikipedia

Machining article at Wikipedia

(Read about the Silver Brothers and their side dump contractors car at PacificNG)

###