Utah's Iron and Steel Industries
Index For This Page
This page was last updated on July 17, 2026.
(Return to Industries Index Page)
Utah's Iron and Steel Industries
Information about the foundries, machine shops and steel fabricators in Utah in the period of 1850 to 1950. These companies helped form Utah's industrial base, especially the mines, mills, and factories. These were the companies that make machines that make machines. They make "big iron" that keeps industry going.
As a side note, the railroads in Salt Lake City (Union Pacific, and Rio Grande) had their own foundries and machine shops. In Ogden, Southern Pacific and Union Pacific shared a large shop facility until 1927, when UP built a new roundhouse and back shop, leaving SP in the previously shared facility.
Iron Ore Mining
Iron Mission -- Information about the early pioneer Iron Mission at Cedar City.
Iron Mountain -- Information about the history of iron ore mining in Utah, and the railroads that served it.
Iron Mountain Railroads -- Information about the railroad operations for the movement of iron ore from the mines at Iron Mountain in Iron County, to a connection with UP at Iron Springs on the Cedar City Branch. The rail line itself is owned by Union Pacific and has been leased for operation to several operators since 2006. First as Utah Southern (2006-2012), then as CML Railroad (2012-2015), then as Black Iron LLC (2015-2020), then as Utah Iron LLC after late 2020.
Iron Mountain Railroads Map -- A Google Map of the Iron Mountain area, showing the former Union Pacific Iron Mountain Branch.
Utah Iron Ore Corporation -- Information about one of the companies that mined the iron ore near Cedar City; unique because this company operated two Shay locomotives and two very early Vulcan gasoline locomotives.
Early Steel Industry In Utah
Steel castings became more of a need in Utah from the early and mid 1890s as the mining industry continued to grow. The mines and mining companies were building steam and water power plants, and reduction mills and smelters. Manufacturing and grain milling was also growing in Utah, each with its own need for steel castings. Up to 1912, steel castings were all imported from Eastern states, or from a few foundries in the Midwest, with the associated long lead times between an order, and the actual delivery.
The early steel making industry in Utah was actually the processing of scrap iron and steel, recycling it into new products that included steel castings for machines used in factories and mills in Utah and the surrounding region. These were the early steel foundries and fabricating plants.
Out-of-Territory Suppliers
An example of the out-of-region suppliers was shown in daily advertisements from August 1892 through early July 1893 for Fraser & Chalmers, a company with its works in Chicago, and a sales office in Salt Lake City. Fraser & Chalmers were "manufacturers of mining machinery, steam engines, boilers, cable and electric railroad power plants, and all kinds of machinery for the systematic milling, smelting and concentration of gold, silver, copper, lead and tin ores." They also "manufactured blowing engines, copper converters and electrolytic refining plants, shafting and pulleys. mining supplies." Their advertisements noted that they specialized in sectional machinery for mule-back transportation to remote locations. The company was also the selling agent for well-known brand names such as Rand Drills, Knowles & Blake Pumps, Root Blowers, Leffel & Pelton Water Wheels, Trenton Wire Rope and Tramways, Lidgerwood Hoists, Tyler Wire Cloth and Chromo Steel Works for Stamp Shoes and Dies.
Iron and Steel Pioneers
1881
One of the early iron and steel fabricators in Salt Lake City was Haynes & Son. This company supplied the boilers and other iron work for the Horn Silver smelter in 1881, and in mid 1882, was supplying the iron work for the paper mill being built at the mouth of Big Cottonwood canyon. (Salt Lake Herald, August 9, 1882)
1883
According to H. H. Bancroft's 1886 History of Utah, in 1883 Utah's foundries and machine-shops produced an estimated $360,000 in iron products, being second only to the territory's flour and grist mills. He also estimated that with suitable and abundant fuel, there would probably be no state west of the Missouri with better facilities than Utah for the production of iron. (Bancroft, page 735)
In 1884, it was reported that the greatest use of iron ore was for the use as flux in the smelting of precious metals in the territory. The Utah Gazetteer for 1884 noted that the Salt Lake and Western Railway was built to transport both precious metal ores from the Tintic area and other mines in western Utah, and iron ores for smelter fluxing purposes; low grade iron ore deposits having been discovered in the Tintic mining district. This line was constructed in 1882 as a standard gauge branchline of Union Pacific. (Our Pioneer Heritage, Volume 10, page 164)
In January 1891, there was an Eagle Foundry & Machine Co. located at 424 West First South in Salt Lake City. (Salt lake Tribune, January 17, 1891)
July 24, 1906
Utah Mining Machinery & Supply had just been contracted to furnish 312 eight-foot diameter settling tanks for the Boston Consolidated company's new mill at Garfield. The steel for the tanks would be imported but the 50,000 pounds of castings (presumed to be iron castings) were to be made locally. The same company had already furnished 400 tanks over the past two years, for the Ohio Copper mill at Lark, and for Nevada Consolidated Copper in Ely, Nevada. (Salt Lake Herald, July 24, 1906)
In April 1909, Enos Wall (the forever promoter of Utah mining) and an associate, Reuben May, grandly announced their plans to build a foundry that would produce pig iron from scrap, with definite plans to begin producing steel castings. The company's plant was to be located on land immediately south of the D&RG locomotive shops in Salt lake City, on property that Wall already owned. As with many of Wall's plans, the enterprise came to nothing. (Numerous newspaper accounts dated April 20 through May 7, 1909)
First Steel Castings In Utah (1911)
The breakthrough for local steel casting in Utah occurred in 1911 when Joseph A. Silver of the Silver Brothers Iron Works mastered the converter process. By implementing this method, Silver Brothers became the first company in Utah to successfully manufacture true steel castings, breaking the state's reliance on eastern steel foundries for complex, high-strength machine parts.
(Previous histories have mistakenly noted that the Silver Brothers mastered the "Bessemer" process, which is different than the converter process used by the Silver Brothers, or the later open-hearth process used by the Rosenblatts at their Midvale plant. Research strongly suggests that none of the steel making plants in Utah used the Bessemer process.)
(Read a brief description of the open-hearth process compared to the Bessemer process)
Late July 1911
The first steel made in Utah was by Silver Brothers in late July 1911. "Steel castings are now made in Salt Lake City by the Silver Brothers Iron Works." "For several months past Silver Brothers Iron works has been operating a modern steel plant, first as an experimental demonstration of a new process, said to be more efficient and economical than others, and later as an established plant, from which castings of high-grade steel are being furnished railroad, smelting, mining and other companies." "When running to full capacity, produces from 36,000 to 40,000 pounds of high grade, tested steel a day," using one newly completed converter. (Deseret News, August 5, 1911; Salt Lake Mining Review, August 15, 1911; Salt Lake Tribune, August 18, 1912)
(Read more about the Silver Brothers)
In early 1916, Nathan Rosenblatt and his two sons, Morris and Simon, began producing steel by recycling scrap at the former Bingham Consolidated copper smelter in Midvale (which had been purchased for its scrap value in March 1913). The Midvale steel operation initially turned out about 30 tons of bar steel daily in various shapes. To expand into structural shapes like channels, angles, and I-beams, the company spent a year adding open-hearth furnaces to double its capacity with an additional 30 tons per day, marking the foundation of steel making as a vital new industry for the state.
The Utah Iron Ore and Steel Corporation (later known as the Utah Steel Corporation) had been incorporated by the Rosenblatts in October 1915 to take advantage of their Utah Junk's purchase of the former smelter location, which was already set up for heavy industry with its furnaces and overhead cranes. The conversion from a retired copper smelter to an iron and steel processing plant required an investment of $200,000, with the first steel being produced within six months. In January 1916, plans were announced for the addition of an open-hearth furnace to manufacture steel, rather than just processing steel scrap, with a projected completion date of July 1916. However, wartime shortages and delays pushed the project well into the next year, when the plant's two 75-ton open-hearth furnaces were finally completed.
On November 1, 1917, the Rosenblatts achieved the first open-hearth steel pour in Utah's history, producing 65,000 pounds of steel for the government at their Midvale plant.
(Read more about the Rosenblatt companies)
November 15, 1918
"War orders aggregating $200,000, understood to have been obtained through the effort of Manager Simon Rosenblatt of the American Foundry & Machine Company, were placed with Utah firms late in October. The work involves the making of ship deck windlasses, cargo hoists, propeller "struts" or bearings, and steel plate water and oil tanks. The orders for windlasses and cargo hoists were placed independently with the above company on a guarantee of early delivery and the contracts for tanks and bearings went to the Utah Metals Industries Company for distribution among the Galigher Machinery Company, the Salt Lake Iron & Steel Company and the Provo Foundry & Machine Company. The orders were all subject to early completion and some of the shipments will have been made before we go to press. The propeller bearings, numbering about a dozen, weigh 11,000 pounds each, while the water tanks, which are designed to contain ship supplies of culinary water sufficient for voyages of considerable length, have a capacity of from 12,000 to 20,000 gallons each. The oil tanks have a capacity of from 25,000 to 30,000 gallons. All tanks are made of heavy plate steel. The Utah Metal Industries Company is composed of the American Foundry & Machine Company; the Salt Lake Iron & Steel Company, Galigher Machinery Company, all of Salt Lake, and the Provo Foundry & Machine Company of Provo. Most of these concerns individually have received former government contracts, all of which have been placed by the emergency fleet corporation." (Salt Lake Mining Review, November 15, 1918)
American Foundry and Machine Co. (1913-1918)
Galigher Machinery Company (1909)
(First located at 224-234 South West Temple in Salt Lake City; as shown in 1910 city directory)
(Shop and warehouse moved to 545 West Eighth South in 1916)
Galigher Machinery Company was located at 224-234 South West Temple street, with a secondary address on the same block, around the corner at 141-163 Pierpont Avenue. "It is the largest and most important business of its kind between Denver and San Francisco." (Salt Lake Herald, November 26, 1911)
(Read more about the Galigher Machinery company)
Griffin Wheel (1927-1958)
Griffin Wheel Company built an iron railroad wheel manufacturing plant in Salt Lake City in 1927. Located at about 700 West and 800 North, its original address was 707 West 7th North. The building still stands at its original site, along today's Warm Springs Road, between Interstate 15 and the Union Pacific rail yards.
The plant manufactured iron railroad wheels, and was closed in 1957-1958 after Griffin developed a new process to reliably cast steel railroad wheels.
(Read more about Griffin Wheel)
Hyrum A. Silver Foundry & Machine (1906-1926)
August 11, 1906
From the Deseret News, August 11, 1906.
The buildings of the Hyrum A. Silver Foundry & Machine company, have just been completed at 454 W. 5th North, and which is one of the largest concerns of its kind in the city.
The firm is officered by the following: Jos. J. Daynes, Jr., President; Hyrum A. Silver, Vice President and Manager; Seymour B. Robbins, Secretary and Treasurer; George J. Silver, assistant Manager. These with Willard T. Cannon, Arthur Winter, Culbert L. Olsen, Edward E. Jenkins and Ernest D. Rumel, constitute the directorate.
Mr. Hyrum A. Silver, who is manager of the firm, is one of the originators of the Silver Bros. Iron Works company, who recently severed his connections with that firm and organized the new firm under the above name.
The firm herewith represented is prepared to handle anything in the Machine or Foundry line, and will in a short time be prepared to make steel castings, which will be of great importance to the State, as heretofore it has been impossible to secure anything in the steel casting line this side of St. Louis or Chicago.
The firm has in its shops some of the largest and latest improved machines to be procured in the eastern market and being located on the railroad line are in a fair condition to compete favorably with any in their line of business. The firm will employ, when in full running order, about seventy-five men.
(Read more about the Silver Brothers Iron Works)
(The Hyrum Silver foundry later became the May Foundry.)
May Foundry (1926-)
(Location was 454 West Fifth North)
Lundin & May Foundry, along with Silver Brothers Iron Works (later as American Foundry & Machine), and the Galigher Machinery Company, was one of the big three go-to companies for anything big, heavy and industrial in Salt Lake City.
Lundin & May Foundry & Machine Company, "since 1912." Changed to May Foundry & Machine Company in 1963 when Jack F. May bought out the Lundin family interests.
December 13, 1921
"New Incorporations. - The Lundin & May Foundry company, capitalized for $10,000, filed articles of incorporation with Clarence Cowan, county clerk, yesterday. Incorporators are: A. Robert Lundin, Reuben May, Earl L. May, Annie M. Lundin and Leva Burgoyne May." (Salt Lake Tribune, December 13, 1921)
May Foundry and Machine Company (1967-)
The site of the May Foundry at 476 West 600 North, is, by 2026, the home of the Land Cruiser Heritage Museum.
In 1910 Robert Lundin was president and manager of Warm Springs Foundry, 1055 North Second West
Pacific States Cast Iron Pipe Co. (1926)
May 1926
The site for a future cast iron pipe foundry and plant was inspected by James R. McWane of McWane Cast Iron Pipe Co., and negotiations were started for the formation of the company, and construction of the plant. (Salt Lake Tribune, May 18, 1926)
July 2, 1926
Pacific States Cast Iron Pipe Company was established in Utah on land adjacent to the site of Columbia Steel's Ironton plant. Land for the Pacific States site was purchased from the same Provo-Springville Holding Co. that had acquired a large parcel of property for the location of the iron plant, but which was not actually needed by them. The Pacific States Cast Iron Pipe Company was incorporated in Nevada on July 2, 1926, with L. F. Rains as president, who was also president of Columbia Steel. Construction of the plant had already started. (Salt Lake Tribune, July 3, 1926)
By early August 1926, erection of the steel buildings was started, with October 1st as the target date for completion. Construction was under the direction George E. Sibbetts, chief engineer of Columbia Steel, and manager of Pacific States Cast Iron Pipe Co. Sibbetts was also shown as vice president, treasurer and consulting attorney of the company when it was organized in early July. (Salt Lake Tribune, August 4, 1926; July 3, 1926)
During a late September 1926 visit by J. R. McWane to the Pacific States Cast Iron Pipe plant that was under construction, McWane is shown as being the president of the company, with George Sibbett as general manager and L. F. Rains as a director of the company. The planned completion date had been pushed to November. The first carload of equipment for the plant, made at the McWane plant in Birmingham, Alabama, had been received at the new Pacific States plant "ten days ago." Prior to the decision to open a plant in Utah, carload lots of pig iron and sand had been shipped to Birmingham to test the process. McWane held several patents for the manufacture of cast iron pipe, including the "forecaulked joint and the horizontal process of casting pipe." Before opening his own company, McWane had previously been president of American Cast Iron Pipe Co., also in Birmingham. (Salt Lake Tribune, September 26, 1926)
November 22, 1926
The first production of cast iron pipe took place at Pacific States Cast Iron Pipe Co. on Monday November 22, 1926. The cast iron pipes produced were 4-inch soil or sanitary pipe, five feet in length, using the process patented by J. R. McWane. There were a total of 80 employees at the time. Pacific Cast Iron Pipe used pig iron, foundry coke, and electrical power from the adjacent iron plant of Columbia Steel Corporation. Construction of the plant began on July 10th. Full production commenced in late December, and by early January, a full carload of cast iron sanitary pipe had been delivered to a local Salt Lake City plumbing distributor. The plant was constructed to supply cast iron pipe to the Intermountain and Pacific Coast regions, and several carloads had already been shipped to California. (Salt Lake Tribune, November 23, 1926; January 9, 1927)
December 1926
In a brief review of the iron industry in Utah, it was reported that Pacific States Cast Iron Pipe Co. was a joint operation of McWane Cast Iron Pipe Co., and Columbia Steel Corporation. (Salt Lake Tribune, December 4, 1926)
January 31, 1930
"Provo, Jan. 31 -- The U. S. Steel corporation's interest in the Pacific States Cast Iron Pipe company has been purchased by J. R. McWane, president of the latter company, and his associates. The amount involved was not announced. The Pacific States company was formed in May 1926, by the McWane Cast iron Pipe company and the Columbia Steel corporation. The company's plant is situated at Ironton and has a capacity output of 80 tons of cast iron pipe per day. The U. S. Steel corporation recently acquired the Columbia properties." (Ogden Standard Examiner, January 31, 1930)
1977
As part of its continuing expansion, McWane Cast Iron Pipe Company formed McWane, Inc., as a corporate holding company to better manage and control its growing number of subsidiaries.
January 26, 2015
McWane Cast Iron Pipe Co., Pacific States Cast Iron Pipe Co., Atlantic States Cast Iron Pipe Co., and Clow Water Systems were consolidated under the new name McWane Ductile. (McWane Ductile press release dated January 26, 2015)
(Read the Wikipedia article about McWane)
Provo Foundry & Machine Company (1884-1955)
The Provo foundry had three locations over time in Provo:
- (1884-1898) - Northeast corner at the intersection of 9th and L streets in Provo. Today's 200 North and 200 East.
- (1898-1945) - Northwest corner at the intersection of 7th (Center) and E streets in Provo, the site of the former Sun Foundry. Today's 500 West Center Street.
- (1945-1955) - 502 East 900 South, between the Union Pacific and Utah Railway yards.
Incorporated in December 1884, the Provo Foundry & Machine Company was established by Cluff, Booth & Co. to manufacture iron and brass castings, repair machinery, and produce items ranging from parlor stoves and cookware to structural components. Operating out of the old Cluff entertainment hall on today's 200 North and 200 East, the facility used local Utah Valley iron and steadily upgraded its machinery, expanding into specialized industrial services like processing fire-proof iron oxide paint and crafting large structural columns for local institutions. Despite its production capabilities, the business repeatedly faced severe financial and legal tribulations during its early decades, leading to multiple temporary closures, a shutdown during the 1893 financial panic, and numerous lawsuits from banks and creditors over unpaid stockholder capital and chattel mortgages.
A turning point occurred when Thomas Pierpont leased the facility, eventually becoming the sole owner. Under the Pierpont family's leadership, the enterprise navigated its insolvency hurdles and underwent a significant relocation and expansion. By the late 1890s, the company moved away from its original site to lease and later purchase the former Sun Foundry plant. By 1907, the company had established a massive 19,000-square-foot industrial complex at Center and Fifth West Streets, equipped with steam and water power to manufacture mining machinery, plumbing, and architectural steel.
(Read more about the Provo Foundry and Machine Company)
Rosenblatt Companies (Eimco)
In the period of the 1890s until 1957, when the Rosenblatt family sold its control and majority interest in EIMCO, the Rosenblatts controlled and operated several iron and steel enterprises in Utah, starting with the Utah Junk company.
In 1916, the Rosenblatts brought the first electric steel furnace to the western United States and only the sixth electric steel furnace in the United States. Morris Rosenblatt "went to Sweden to bring back a Rennerfelt three and one-half-ton per melt independent arc electric steel furnace, and the crew to install it. In 1937 this pioneer furnace gave way to a five-ton, three-phase direct arc furnace, and in 1948 a Moore rapid five-ton unit was added, bringing capacity to 12,000 tons per year." (Salt Lake Tribune, November 5, 1950)
- Utah Junk Co. (1899-1919) (to Utah Steel Corp. in 1919)
- American Foundry and Machine Co. (1913-1918)
- Utah Iron and Steel Co. (1915-1919)
- Utah Steel Corp. (1919- ) (merger of Utah Iron & Steel and Utah Junk)
- Structural Steel and Foundry Co. (1925-1957)
- Eastern Iron and Metal Corp. (1918-1935)
- EIMCO (1935-1982)
(For reference, in 1923 Columbia Steel Corp. opened its pig iron plant at Ironton, Utah, south of Provo. The pig iron was shipped to the company's existing steel plants in Pittsburg, California, and Portland, Oregon.)
(Read more about the Rosenblatt companies)
Salt Lake Boiler & Sheet Metal Works (1911-1924)
(There was an earlier Salt Lake City Boiler Works, dating back to September 1873. It was owned and operated by John Sloan & Co., as late as February 1878, when the name was changed to Salt Lake Boiler Works; still owned by John Sloan & Co. In November 1878, John Sloan sold the business to R. W. Sloan. Located on First West between South Temple and First South.)
(Site 1 located at "710 Portland Avenue")
(Site 2 located at 545 West Seventh South; to Structural Steel in 1925)
December 5, 1910
Salt Lake Boiler & Sheet Iron company is shown among a list of thousands of persons and companies delinquent in paying Salt Lake County property tax. (Salt Lake Herald, December 5, 1910)
(The 1911 Sanborn Fire Insurance map, sheet 165, shows only a small "machine shop" at the location on the unnamed alley.)
(The 1911 Polk's Salt Lake City Directory shows Salt Lake Boiler & Sheet Iron company in 35 separate small advertisements, located "Between 7th and 8th South and 4th and 5th West." The company is not listed in the 1910 directory.)
November 15, 1911
"The Salt Lake Boiler & Sheet Iron Works, of Salt Lake, reports a number of heavy orders, of late, and consequently have had to put in considerable overtime to fill them." (Salt Lake Mining Review, November 15, 1911)
April 4, 1915
"Employees of the Salt Lake Boiler Works, between Fourth and Fifth West, and between Seventh and Eighth South, were eating lunch when the wind blew down a big double door in the plant. The draft reached such proportions that all windows and other doors were torn out. The wind subsided just as the roof was beginning to give evidence of weakening." (Salt Lake Herald, April 4, 1915)
November 14, 1915
Newspaper advertisements began for the Salt Lake Boiler & Sheet Metal Works, showing the address as "710 Portland Avenue" in Salt Lake City. (Salt Lake Herald, November 14, 1915)
(Sanborn Fire Insurance maps of the era do not show a Portland Avenue.)
(The 1915 Polk's Salt Lake City Directory shows Portland as "south from 545 W. 7th South." This is today's Woodbine Street.)
(The 1916 Polk's Salt Lake City Directory, page 954, shows Salt Lake Boiler & Sheet Iron Works on "4th West bet. 7th and 8th South")
(High quality advertisements for Salt Lake Boiler & Sheet Metal Works started in December 1917, with a photo showing a large building interior that includes an overhead crane.)
A photo of a recently completed special boiler was published in the January 21, 1917 of the Salt Lake Tribune newspaper, stating that the company had opened in 1915, and was located on Fourth West between Seventh and Eighth South, with E. L. Murphy as president.
This remained as the address in advertisements as late as November 1918, when a news item in the Salt Lake Mining Review of November 30, 1918 mentioned that the company was "building a 50x200 addition to its plant on West Seventh South street, in order to be better prepared to take care of its boiler building" for upcoming government contracts.
(The 1918 Polk's Salt Lake City Directory, page 1029, shows Salt Lake Boiler & Sheet Iron Works at 545 W. 7th South.)
April 27, 1919
News item with photos of large tanks built by the
Salt Lake Boiler & Sheet Metal Works. (Salt Lake Tribune, April 27, 1919)
An anti-union full-page advertisement in The Goodwin's Weekly for September 6, 1919 shows both Salt Lake Iron & Steel company, and Salt Lake Boiler & Sheet Iron Works, without showing each company's address.
June 8, 1920
The Salt Lake Boiler & Sheet Metal Works was incorporated. E. L. Murphy, president; E. A. Dunscombe, vice president; J. H. Gerstner, secretary-treasurer. (Salt Lake Herald, June 8, 1920, "New Corporations")
(The 1921 Polk's Salt Lake City Directory, page 1053, shows Salt Lake Boiler & Sheet Iron Works at 545 W. 7th South.)
March 3, 1921
The address of the Salt Lake Boiler & Sheet Iron Works was shown as "Seventh South and Seventh West." (Salt Lake Tribune, March 3, 1921)
October 29, 1921
The address of the Salt Lake Boiler & Sheet Iron Works was shown as "the plant on Woodbine Street." (Deseret News, October 29, 1921)
(Woodbine Street extends from 7th South to 8th South, mid-block between 4th and 5th West.)
June 20, 1922
The address of Salt Lake Boiler & Sheet Iron Works was shown as "545-547 West Seventh South Street." (Deseret News, June 20, 1922)
September 8, 1923
"The Big Springs Electric company filed suit against the Salt Lake Boiler and Sheet Iron company and the American Surety company to recover $8002. The plaintiff company alleges that business suffered because the defendant company failed to furnish certain pipe fittings according to specifications." (Salt Lake Telegram, September 8, 1923)
December 30, 1923
"The Salt Lake Boiler & Sheet Metal Works recently completed an acetylene-gas-welded gasometer 53 feet in height by 50 feet in in circumference for the Linde Air Products Company, at the corner of Fourth West and Ninth South streets. This is claimed to be the second tank of so large a size built in this manner." (Salt Lake Mining Review, December 30, 1923)
June 28, 1924
A receiver was appointed for the Salt Lake Boiler & Sheet Metal Works. The business had been depressed for the past two years, and was in danger of shutting down completely due to debts totaling $40,000. (Salt Lake Tribune, June 28, 1924; June 29, 1924, "yesterday")
(1925 - The original plant of Structural Steel and Foundry was purchased by American Foundry in 1925 from the Salt Lake Boiler and Sheet Metal works. -- Salt Lake Tribune, August 25, 1937)
March 28, 1925
The Third District Court, as a result of a lawsuit brought by Utah State National Bank, et al. as plaintiff, ordered that the property, equipment, tools and supplies of the Salt Lake Boiler & Sheet Iron Works at 545 West Seventh South be sold at private sale, by written bids, on or before March 28, 1925. (Deseret News, daily legal notices, March 16 to March 26, 1925)
July 3, 1925
Salt Lake Boiler & Sheet Metal Works, at 545-547 West 700 South, was sold to American Foundry Company, which opened the site as a new subsidiary company known as Structural Steel and Foundry Company. (Provo Daily Herald, July 3, 1925)
(Read more about Structural Steel & Foundry, a Rosenblatt company)
Salt Lake Iron & Steel (1915-1925)
(Located at 545 West Seventh South on north side of Seventh South)
(Former Silver Brothers plant)
(To Eastern Iron & Metal company in December 1925)
November 5, 1915
Silver Brothers Iron & Foundry Works was reorganized in November 1915 as the Salt Lake Iron & Steel Co., with members of the Silver family still as members of the board. James W. Silver was to be general manager of the new company, and Joseph A. Silver was one of the directors and had negotiated the sale of the company. "The officers of the new company are O. C. Beebe, president; David A. Smith, vice president; Willard R. Smith, secretary; E. E. Byer, treasurer, and Joseph A. Silver, George E. Sanders and J. H. Moyle, directors." The articles of incorporation were to be filed "today." (Salt Lake Herald, November 5, 1915)
(Orvando C. Beebe, born May 14, 1867, was "a director and large stockholder in a number of Utah corporations. Among these are the Zion Savings Bank & Trust company, of which he is a director and cashier; the Knight Savings & Trust company of Provo; the Layton Sugar company; the Oregon-Utah Sugar company; the Heber J. Grant company; treasurer and direct-or of the Salt Lake & Los Angeles Railroad company and of the Saltair Beach company; secretary and director of the Deseret Building society; president and director of the Salt Lake Iron & Steel company; vice president and director of the Clayton Investment company, the largest real estate organization in the city; and vice-president and director of P. J. Moran, Contractor, Incorporated." - Goodwin's Weekly, July 8, 1916)
The reorganization of the company was due to debt and other losses. One of the grandsons of the original William J. Silver, James Watson Silver, although named as general manager, left the company in May 1916 and moved to Ogden and founded the Ogden Iron Works, which manufactured machinery for the sugar beet and mining industries. He was apparently the last of the Silver family associated with the former Silver Brothers company. Ogden Iron Works went out of business in 1991.
May 21, 1916
The Salt Lake Iron & Steel company reorganized its leadership, removing James W. Silver as general manager, and Joseph A. Silver as consulting engineer and salesman, who both retired. The company also reorganized the way work was being handled within the organization. A new 450-cubic-feet-per-minute air compressor was being installed, along with tracks within the shop to make handling of material and finished work easier and simpler. Work was being handled for various mining companies in Utah , Idaho and Nevada, and new sugar plants of the Amalgamated and Utah-Idaho sugar companies. There were more than 235 men on the payroll. (Salt Lake Tribune, May 21, 1916)
November 10, 1923
Pittsburg Boiler & Machine company of Pittsburg, Kansas, purchased the Salt Lake Iron & Steel company at Fifth West and Seventh South. The plant will be remodeled immediately and equipped to take care of the reconditioning of the largest of the freight and passenger locomotives. Among the products that will come to the new plant will be contracts for the erection of tipples and machinery, oil field equipment, mine screens, electric hoists, dumping devices, cages and ventilator equipment. (Salt Lake Telegram, November 11, 1923)
December 30, 1923
From the Salt Lake Telegram, December 30, 1923, advertisement.
Announcing a change in management of the Salt Lake Iron & Steel Company.
Effective January 1st the Pittsburg Boiler & Machine Co. has taken over this plant and will continue the business under the old name.
For the past thirty years the Pittsburg company has been successful manufacturers of Mine, Mill and General Factory Equipment and the extensive experience thus acquired is placed behind future operations of the Salt Lake plant.
We respectfully solicit your inquiries on any Standard or Special Equipment, Structural Steel, Machine Work, Iron or Steel Castings, Heavy Forgings, Plate and Tank Work and Re-conditioning of Heavy or Light Machinery.
January 1, 1924
"Effective January 1st the Pittsburg Boiler & Machine Co., of Pittsburg, Kansas, manufacturers of mine, mill, and general factory equipment, takes over the plant of the Salt Lake Iron & Steel Co. W. H. Sagstetter, vice-president of the Pittsburg company, becomes president and general manager of the Salt Lake company, with offices here. Thomas McNally, president of the Pittsburg company, becomes vice-president, with offices at Pittsburg, Kansas, while C. W. Waterman, formerly general sales manager of the Pittsburg company, becomes secretary and general sales manager, with offices in Salt Lake." (Salt Lake Mining Review, December 30, 1923)
June 15, 1924
"W. H. Sagstetter, president of the Salt Lake Iron & Steel Co. announced a few days ago that his company had began the purchase of pig iron from the Columbia Steel Corporation's works at Ironton, the first carload having been delivered on the June 2nd. Mr. Sagstetter's company will use about 100 tons of this Utah pig iron a month to begin with and in the near future it is expected the plant's requirements will call for 250 tons a month and more. This Utah iron product will be utilized in the fabrication of castings and materials used by local and intermountain concerns in construction work and industrial purposes." (Salt Lake Mining Review, June 15, 1924)
(Read more about Columbia Steel Corporation)
(More research is needed to determine if Salt Lake Iron and Steel, under Pittsburg Boiler & Machine ownership, intended to use the former Silver Brothers converters to manufacture steel using iron from the Columbia plant.)
(A story in the Salt Lake Tribune for July 31, 1926 mentioned W. H. Sagstetter as visiting Salt Lake City en route to installing mining equipment in Idaho, with Sagstetter stating that in the years 1923-1924, Pittsburg Boiler & Machine operated the Salt Lake Iron & Steel company. His statement suggests that the Pittsburg company had disposed of its interest in the Salt Lake City plant in 1924, and that two years later he was enjoying being back in the city visiting the scenic sights and renewing old friendships.)
(The advertisements for Salt Lake Iron & Steel continued under that name throughout 1925, but not into 1926.)
December 27, 1925
Eastern Iron and Metal Company purchased the buildings and site of the Salt Lake Iron and Steel company. Morris Rosenblatt was a principal employee, along with Nathan Rosenblatt, founder of Utah Junk company and Utah Steel corporation. (Salt Lake Telegram, December 27, 1925)
December 27, 1925
From Salt Lake Telegram, December 27, 1925.
The Eastern Iron and Metal company announces the purchasing of the building and site of the Salt Lake Iron and Steel company on Fourth West, covering the entire block between Sixth and Seventh South streets, one of the largest purchased investments in the industry during the past year.
Possession of this additional property enables the new owners to offer the best service available to prospectors and mine owners, inasmuch as it provides for two distinct phases of the mine industry.
It is of particular benefit to the mining, smelting and milling industry, as it provides for a liquidating medium for used machinery and miscellaneous other mechanical mining equipment. The Eastern Iron and Metal company will rent or sell on terms equipment to miners who require this nature of service. By rebuilding mining machinery, the company can offer this equipment at greatly reduced prices.
The Eastern Iron and Metal company is the largest waste material company in the West. This is the second phase referred to above, and will prove a very desirable asset to the mining industry because, through this branch will be provided scrap metals of all kinds.
The company also recently purchased properties of the Utah Potash company at Marysvale and the Twin Falls crushing plant at Twin Falls, Idaho.
Nathan Rosenblatt, founder of the Utah Junk company and the Utah Steel corporation, is in charge of the waste metals division.
M. S. Rosenblatt as managing director and Nathan Rosenblatt and Sam Hamilton constitute the personnel of the company.
(Read more about the Eastern Iron & Metal Company, EIMCO, a Rosenblatt company)
Silver Brothers Iron Works (1862-1915)
The Silver Brothers were among the first of several foundries and machine shops in Utah in the period of 1850 to 1950, that helped form Utah's industrial base, especially the mines, mills, and factories. First came the Silver Iron Works, established in 1874, which became Silver Brothers in 1886.
The Silver Brothers shop was in Salt Lake City. Their address was 540 West Seventh South. Although Silver Brothers itself is gone, that original building is still there, with numerous additions that were added over the years.
(Read more about the Silver Brothers)
Structural Steel and Foundry Co. (1925-1957)
(See Rosenblatt companies, above)
Sun Foundry & Machine
(The Sun foundry was located on the northwest corner at the intersection of 7th (Center) and E streets in Provo. Shown on the 1890 Sanborn Fire Insurance map, Sheet 7; on the 1900 map, Sheet 10. Today's 500 West Center Street.)
Sun Foundry & Machine Company was incorporated in Utah in 1890, though it had already been advertising its iron and steel working services since 1889. Located on the northwest corner of 7th (Center) and E streets in Provo—today's 500 West Center Street—the company offered a full range of foundry work, including steam engines, boilers, cast and wrought iron products, and specialty items. In 1891, the firm expanded its operations by acquiring a smelter stamp mill and steam engine from a played-out mine at Tintic, signaling early ambitions for growth.
That growth proved short-lived. By 1893, financial troubles caught up with the company: unpaid stock assessments, mounting creditor lawsuits, and an eventual court-ordered receivership led to the sale of its assets and a lengthy legal battle with stockholders over unpaid dues. The foundry was leased and renamed the Silver Iron Works under superintendent William Silver, later passing through additional lessees before fading from the historical record by the mid-1890s. The site itself lived on, however—by 1898 it had become home to Pierpont & Heaton's Provo Foundry & Machine Company, which purchased the property outright in 1901, carrying forward the location's industrial legacy into the new century.
(Read more about the Sun Foundry and Machine Company)
Union Tank Car (1953)
January 20, 1954
From Salt Lake Tribune, January 20, 1954.
The Lakeview plant of General American Transportation Co., near Provo, went into production last fall. In a new building costing $135,000 exclusive of equipment, the firm turns out prefabricated sections for huge liquid and gas tanks, makes bolts, braces and man-ways for the tanks and even machines some of the tools necessary for the operation.
Two production lines operate. One is the "burning tables" where plate steel is laid, measured and trimmed with acetylene torches then moved along to the giant rolls which bend them to the proper curve.
The other line handles angle and channel iron, forming it to the required shape in modern bending machines. Other equipment includes large and small cranes, a huge crane hoist for loading and unloading freight cars, a 500-ton press brake, a table for fabricating fittings, a drill press, bolt threader and other items.
The plant is located between the Union Pacific and Denver & Rio Grande railroads, and has a spur track into the yard. O. L. Hart, plant superintendent, points out this set up leaves plenty of room for future expansion. The firm presently employs about 40 workers.
Utah Iron and Steel Co. (1915-1919)
The Utah Iron & Steel company was organized by the Rosenblatt family in 1915, and it became the Utah Steel company in 1919.
Utah Junk Co. (1899-1919)
(to Utah Steel Corp. in 1919)
(See Rosenblatt companies, above)
Utah Steel Company (1919-1922)
In 1915 the Rosenblatts organized the Utah Iron & Steel Corporation, which opened its furnaces in the former Bingham Consolidated smelter at Midvale.
(Before being used by Utah Steel, the Bingham Consolidated site had been used between 1913 and 1917 as the site to do the rough finishing of granite blocks from the quarries at the mouth of Little Cottonwood Canyon, for use in the Utah state capitol, the Park Building at the University of Utah, the LDS administration building in Salt Lake City, and the D&RGW freight house in Ogden.)
In 1919, the Rosenblatts merged their Utah Iron & Steel company, with their Utah Junk company, to form the Utah Steel Corporation.
(Read more about the Utah Steel company)
U. S. Steel In Utah (1946-1986)
U. S. Steel Geneva Works -- Information and locomotive rosters for U. S. Steel's Geneva Works, later operated by the independent Geneva Steel Corporation.
U. S. Steel - Columbia Steel Ironton Works -- Information and locomotive rosters for Columbia Steel's iron works at Ironton.
U. S. Steel Wellington Coal Wash plant -- Information and locomotive roster for U. S. Steel's coal washing plant near Wellington, Utah.
Defense Plant Corporation -- Information about the World War II era government program to expand the production of steel in Utah, including a new coal mine in Carbon County, additional iron ore mining capability in Iron County, and the Geneva steel plant.
Wasatch Ball Foundry (1937)
(In 1955, offices located at 531 West 700 South in Salt Lake City)
(This was across 700 South from the former Silver Brothers operation, which was on the north side of 700 South.)
(The 1950 Sanborn Fire Insurance map, sheet 165, shows Wasatch Ball Foundry mid-block between 7th and 8th South, and between 500 and 600 West, on Woodbine Street, in a facility owned by Structural Steel and leased to Wasatch Ball Foundry.)
(Manufactured grinding balls, used in ball mills at mills and smelters.)
1935
Advertisements during 1953 all noted , "Since 1935."
In November 1937, the Wasatch Ball Foundry was located at 730 South Fourth West in Salt Lake City. (Salt Lake Telegram, November 15, 1937, on the occasion of a burglary)
(This is the first reference to Wasatch Ball Foundry.)
(A 1937 aerial photo does not show any distinctive structure at location, but it may have been a very small operation at that time.)
November 20, 1938
"Articles of incorporation have been filed with the secretary of state by Wasatch Ball Foundry, Inc., of Salt Lake City, manufacturer of grinding balls, mill liners and crusher jaws for mine mills. Officers are the following: President, Daniel B. Woodland; vice president, George K. Smith Jr.; secretary, Joseph C. Jensen; treasurer, George K. Smith Sr." (Salt Lake Tribune, November 20, 1938)
(There is no reference prior to this for Joseph C. Jensen.)
(At some point between 1945 and 1948, Wasatch Ball Foundry moved from 730 South Fourth (500) West, to 531 West 700 South.)
(A 1946 aerial photo shows the Wasatch Ball Foundry on the south side of 700 South, just west of midway between 500 and 600 West.)
January 18, 1948
"Wasatch Ball Foundry of Salt Lake concentrates on production of grinding balls for smelters, using some 1500 tons of scrap metal annually and employing 17 workers." (Salt Lake Tribune, January 18, 1948)
April 16, 1950
"Full interest in the Wasatch Ball Foundry, Inc., at 531 West Seventh South St. was acquired Saturday by Joseph C. Jensen, the firm's president. The purchase was made from Daniel B. Woodland, who has been a partner in the firm since 1945. Joseph W. Jensen, a son of Mr. Jensen, will take a position with the firm effective Monday. Wasatch Ball Foundry manufactures Hy-Steel grinding balls used in the treatment and crushing of ores by milling and smelting companies in the West." (Deseret News, April 16, 1950)
April 17, 1950
"Joseph C. Jensen, president of Wasatch Ball Foundry, Inc., 531 W. 7th South, has purchased the interest in the company previously held by his associate, Daniel B. Woodland, according to a joint announcement released Sunday. The company will be operated by Mr. Jensen and his son, Joseph W. Jensen, formerly assistant manager of Globe Finance Co., Salt Lake City. Wasatch foundry was founded in 1935 to manufacture grinding balls used in the treatment and crushing of ores by milling and smelting concerns through the intermountain area." (Salt Lake Tribune, April 17, 1950)
October 15, 1953
From the Salt Lake Tribune, October 15, 1953 (with photo).
Wasatch Ball Foundry, Inc., 531 W. 7th South, Wednesday laid claim to installation of the first shell molding device for production of castings in the Intermountain West. Joseph C. Jensen, president of the firm, which produces rough cast steel balls for use in ball mills in grinding departments of metals concentrators in the region, said the device enables his company to double production with one-third less labor costs.
The machine eliminates hand pounding of foundry sands into wooden molds. A phenol resin is mixed with high grade foundry sand. The mixture then is dumped against a steel matrix heated to above 450 degrees Fahrenheit. The sand-resin hardens into a shell. It then is removed and cured at temperatures above 1,100 degrees Fahrenheit.
Two of the shells are placed together in a form and the cast metal poured into them. It takes only a few minutes to make a shell, and a variety of sizes of balls can be produced, based on size of the matrix employed.
January 20, 1954
"Another fabricating advance during the year occurred when Wasatch Ball Foundry, Inc., Salt Lake City, installed the first shell molding device for production of castings in the Intermountain West. This, according to Joseph C. Jensen, president, enabled the firm to double production with one-third less labor cost." (Salt Lake Tribune, January 20, 1954)
December 19, 1955
Wasatch Ball Foundry company was shown in listing in the December 19, 1955 Deseret News as being delinquent for their property on 700 South between 500 and 500 West. (Deseret News, December 19, 1955)
(The property described in the above newspaper listing was about 47,400 square feet, or just over one acre, from 570 to 594 West, along the south side of 700 South.)
(The owner, Joseph C. Jensen was shown in other sources as having retired in 1955 and moving to Phoenix, Arizona. This suggests that the company was closed as a business and its property sold.)
Book
The Magnet, Iron Ore In Iron County -- An excellent 75-page history of iron mining in Iron County, Utah; written and self-published in 1991 by Graham D. MacDonald, mining engineer and later General Superintendent of the U. S. Steel iron mining operations. (PDF; 76 pages; 16.3MB)
###