Ogden City Railway (1883-1891)
Ogden City Street Railway (1891-1900)
This page was last updated on August 6, 2019.
Ogden City Railway owned five steam "motors" (also known as steam dummies) in the 1889-1890 time period prior to being converted to electric power. One or more were never in service in Ogden.
|No. 10||Lima||295||Jul 1890||Jan 1891||1|
- The Shay locomotive was likely delivered in either late July or early August 1890, but the Ogden City Railway was sold at auction on December 23, 1890; the company was reorganized as the Ogden City Street Railway to finance the conversion to electric operations; improvements of tracks, and installation of poles and overhead wires began in January 1891 but electric opertations did not begin until September 25, 1891.
- No. 10 was built by Lima Locomotive Works, Lima, Ohio.
- "Light Weight" given above is the "empty" weight as shown on Lima's "Drawing Card Index" sheets.
- Individual locomotive specifications:
|No. 10||2||(3) 9x8 inches||26 inches||37,500 pounds|
- Built as Ogden City Railway no. 10 in 1890; to D. Eccles & Company for Oregon Lumber Company no. 10 in January 1891; sold to Salt Lake & Mercur on October 12, 1894 first as SL&M no. 10 and then as SL&M no. 1; sold in late 1899 or early 1900 to Dabob Bay Logging Company, in Dabob Bay, Washington; then sold in January 1921 to Devitt Lumber Company, Devitt, Oregon; then sold to Bade Lumber Company; then sold to Shanghai Building Company; then sold to Shanghai Lumber Company, all in Devitt, Oregon; last date given being July 1927; after Shanghai Lumber it was sold to Mowry Logging Company in Glenwood, Oregon. (source at ShayLocomotives.com)
The Salt Lake Tribune of October 13, 1894 noted the sale of the Shay by the Oregon Lumber Company, to the Salt Lake & Mercur, and that it was run down from Salt Lake City to Fairfield station, junction of the Union Pacific's old Salt Lake & Western, and the newly completed Salt Lake & Mercur.