Utah & Pacific Railroad (1897-1901)
This page was last updated on June 24, 2011.
(Return to the Utah & Pacific page)
|U&P 1||OSL 507||4-6-0||Taunton||861||Aug 1882||Sep 1898||1|
|U&P 2 (1st)||(OSL 500)||4-6-0||Taunton||648||Nov 1874||2|
|U&P 2 (2nd)||OSL 505||4-6-0||Taunton||866||Aug 1882||Nov 1899||3|
|U&P 3||OSL 512||4-6-0||Taunton||639||Jul 1874||Dec 1898||4|
|U&P 4||Nov 1899||5|
- Utah & Pacific was incorporated on August 20, 1898; construction began at Milford in early October 1898; first timetable was published on April 30, 1899; construction ended at the Nevada state line at Uvada, 75 miles from Milford, on July 31, 1899; sold to OSL in April 1901.
- As of August 1899 Utah & Pacific was reported as having two engines, 25 box cars, 10 flat cars, and a passenger coach. (Salt Lake Daily Tribune, August 11, 1899)
- As of December 1899 Utah & Pacific was reported as having four engines, four passenger cars, and 125 freight and other cars (Salt Lake Daily Tribune, December 31, 1899)
- Research suggests that the four U&P locomotives were put back into the OSL roster in 1901 when OSL bought U&P. Available roster information developed by G. M. Best shows that SPLA&SL No. 52 came from OSL 507, the former U&P No. 1. But the Salt Lake Tribune of July 21, 1903 shows that SPLA&SL No. 52 came from OSL No. 1007, which indicates that the U&P engines may have been renumbered into the then-blank OSL series above 1004 (OSL 1005-1009). (OSL account books show that no. 1004 was a single 2-8-0 delivered from Cooke in October 1901, meaning that the Utah & Pacific engines were likely renumbered into the OSL 1000-series after October 1901, but before the July 1903 date that the Utah lines were sold to SPLA&SL; OSL 1010-1021 was a group of 2-8-0s delivered by Baldwin in January 1904.)
- Utah & Pacific 1 was built as UPRy 49 in 1882; to OSLRy 12 in 1882; to OSLRy 967 in 1885; to OSL&UN 967 in 1889; to OSL 507 in 1897; to Utah & Pacific no. 1 in September 1898; U&P sold to OSL in April 1901; to OSL 507 in 1901; to SPLA&SL 52 in 1903; vacated before 1914 (U&P information from Salt Lake Daily Tribune, September 29, 1898)
- Utah & Pacific 2 (1st) may have never been in service; the former OSL 500 was built as UPRR 140 (2nd) in 1874; to UPRy 140 in 1880; to OSLRy 14 in 1882; to OSLRy 969 in 1885; to OSL&UN 969 in 1889; to OSL 500 in 1897; work began in 1898 to recondition OSL 500 for service as Utah & Pacific RR no. 2, work not accepted by U&P (may have become U&P 4; U&P sold to OSL in April 1901); scrapped by OSL in September 1901, possibly after being wrecked. (from OSL account books, research by George Pitchard)
- Utah & Pacific 2 (2nd) was built as UPRy 123 in 1882; to OSLRy 13 in 1882; to OSLRy 968 in 1885; to OSL&UN 968 in 1889; to OSL 505 in 1897; to Utah & Pacific no. 2 in 1899; U&P sold to OSL in April 1901; to OSL 505 in 1901; wrecked and scrapped in 1908
- Utah & Pacific 3 was built as UPRR 133 (2nd) in 1874; to UPRy 133 in 1880; to OSLRy 21 in 1883; to OSLRy 974 in 1885; to OSL&UN 974 in 1889; to OSL 512 in 1897; to Utah & Pacific no. 3 in December 1898; U&P sold to OSL in April 1901; to OSL 512 in 1901; to SPLA&SL 53 in 1903; to LA&SL 53 in 1916; scrapped in November 1918 (U&P information from from OSL account books, research by George Pitchard)
- Utah & Pacific no. 4 was delivered between late August and late December 1899, along with the replacement for the rejected no. 2. The identity of U&P no. 4 in not known, possibly ex OSL 500 which had been rejected as U&P no. 2, with OSL 500 being scrapped by OSL in September 1901 after OSL purchased U&P in April 1901. Other OSL 4-6-0s in the 500-class that later became SPLA&SL engines include OSL 514, 517, 522 and 523, any of which may have been the fourth Utah & Pacific engine.
(Read more about the seven former OSL 500-series 4-6-0s that passed to SPLA&SL in 1903)