Salt Lake & Utah Railroad
Index For This Page
This page was last updated on May 31, 2022.
The Salt Lake & Utah Railroad was an electric interurban railroad that operated over its own tracks from Salt Lake City to Payson. Service began in March 1914 between Salt Lake City and American Fork, using gasoline motor cars until the electrified cars and overhead electric power lines could be completed. On April 3, 1914 it reached as far as Pleasant Grove. The electric trains began operating in July 1914, when service to Provo was started. The line reached Payson in May 1916. It was unofficially called the "Orem" after A. J. and W. C. Orem, who arranged the corporate financing to build the line.
(Read more about the Salt Lake & Utah Railroad; excerpted from Ira Swett's "Interurbans of Utah")
When the line was constructed as far as Provo, special-built new gasoline motor cars began running. They were dark red, thirty-six passenger capacity cars, each divided into a freight compartment and two passenger compartments, smoking and non-smoking. Each car was heated, lighted and powered by four 110-horsepower Westinghouse motors, which drew electricity from overhead cables.
The Salt Lake & Utah Railroad also carried the United States mail and newspapers. Other freight included milk and produce along with regular every day commodities.
A spur in Pleasant Grove ran to a loading station under a dumping ramp where ore and fire clay were loaded. The clay came from natural deposits on the hills east of town, mined there in two locations, the Homer/McFarland and the Wadley pits. The ore was hauled from mines in American Fork Canyon.
Ridership was lively before the family car became popular in the mid 1920s. During the depression, and through WWII when gas was rationed, people again patronized the rail system.
Salt Lake & Utah operations ceased at 12:01 am on Friday March 1, 1946. Portions of the railroad in Salt Lake City between 9th South and 17th South, and between Orem and Provo in Utah County, were sold to D&RGW. The portion in Salt Lake City along 1st (200) West to 9th South was sold to the Bamberger Railroad. The remaining portions of the railroad from 17th South in Salt Lake City, south to Orem, and the portion south of Orem to Payson were sold for scrap in July 1946, and the tracks and buildings were removed in the late summer and throughout the fall of 1946.
Utah citizens secure franchises for a railroad from Salt Lake City south through Salt Lake and Utah Counties. (Stephen Drew, email dated January 21, 2008)
Orem interests led by Walter C. Orem (1873-1951), from a wealthy Boston family and builder of the Nevada Copper Belt Railroad, took control of the Salt Lake & Utah Railroad project. (Stephen Drew, email dated January 21, 2008)
October 16, 1912
The Salt Lake & Utah Railroad was incorporated in Portland, Maine. (Stephen Drew, email dated January 21, 2008)
C. Dyer, Portland, President; F. M. Orem, SLC, Treasurer. Capital Stock $3,000,000. The Interurban Construction Company also incorporated by the Orems in Maine
October 20, 1912
SL&U construction begun in Provo, Utah. (Stephen Drew, email dated January 21, 2008)
At SL&U stockholders' meeting, W. C. Orem elected President and General Manager; F. M. Orem elected Secretary and Treasurer. (Stephen Drew, email dated January 21, 2008)
Salt Lake & Utah announced that three new gasoline motor cars had been ordered from the Hall Scott Car Company of Berkeley, California. These were to open SL&U for public use on January 1, 1914, and after electrification would be kept for use as standby equipment in emergencies. (Swett, Interurbans of Utah, page 41)
Salt Lake & Utah announced that a track laying machine had been purchased and its delivery was expected to increase construction work. (Swett, Interurbans of Utah, page 41)
Local newspapers call SL&U construction "The biggest event of the year." (Stephen Drew, email dated January 21, 2008)
Early February 1914
Three Hall-Scott all-steel motor cars, SL&U numbers 501-503, arrive from West Berkeley running via Southern Pacific to Ogden and Salt Lake & Ogden Railway to Salt Lake City. 59-feet 7-1/2 inches long, 56-seat capacity. (Stephen Drew, email dated January 21, 2008)
March 23, 1914
The SL&U, The Orem Lines, open with eight daily gasoline motor car trips between Salt Lake City and American Fork, operated by the Interurban Construction Company. 33.4 miles, travel time 1 hour 25 minutes. (Stephen Drew, email dated January 21, 2008)
July 24, 1914
"Electric service was inaugurated on the Salt Lake & Utah Railroad on July 24, between Salt Lake City and Provo, a distance 48-1/2 miles." (Electric Railway Journal, Volume 44, Number 6, August 8, 1914, page 271)
SL&U begins public service to Provo, 48.5 miles, with 14 daily electric trains, red interurban cars. SL&U assumes operating responsibility. Travel time 1 hour 55 minutes. (Stephen Drew, email dated January 21, 2008)
August 15, 1914
Through freight service inaugurated. SL&U interchanges with Oregon Short Line (UP) at Salt Lake City and Denver & Rio Grande at Provo. (Stephen Drew, email dated January 21, 2008)
SL&U averaging more than 800 passengers daily. (Stephen Drew, email dated January 21, 2008)
December 5, 1914
Sixteen daily trains between Salt Lake City and Provo. (Stephen Drew, email dated January 21, 2008)
April 9, 1915
Salt Lake & Utah announced that the road would be extended south from Provo to Springville. Some materials were already on the ground and available. Other material needed for the extension would arrive within the next six weeks. (Vernal Express, April 9, 1915)
May 16, 1915
Increased to 20 trains daily. (Stephen Drew, email dated January 21, 2008)
July 15, 1915
Salt Lake & Utah Railroad announced its completion to Springville. (Salt Lake & Utah Railroad press release, dated July 15, 1915)
Salt Lake And Utah Railroad. The Orem Lines.
Announce completion of their main line into Springville. Passenger service of 20 daily trains will be inaugurated on Sunday, July 18th, 1915. Express will be carried on all passenger trains.
A freight train in each direction will be run daily, except Sunday, on and after Tuesday, July 20th.
The handy schedule and low rates of this new service between Springville and Salt Lake City, and intermediate points, is sure to please.
Your patronage is solicited.
July 18, 1915
"Salt Lake & Utah -- Announce completion of their main line into Springville. Passenger service of 20 daily trains will be inaugurated on Sunday, July 18th, 1915. Express will be carried on all passenger trains. A freight train in each direction will be run daily, except Sunday, on and after Tuesday, July 20th." (American Fork Citizen, July 17, 1915)
SL&U Hall-Scott motor car No. 503 repainted by SL&U as Nevada Copper Belt No. 22. (Stephen Drew, email dated January 21, 2008)
November 1, 1915
NCB No. 22 en route from SL&U to Orem's NCB at Mason, Nevada. (Stephen Drew, email dated January 21, 2008)
November 10, 1915
Salt Lake & Utah, and all the other companies and interests of A. J. Orem & Company (Salt Lake & Utah RR, Nevada Copper Belt RR, Nevada Douglas Mining Co., Interurban Construction Co., and Salt Lake Terminal Co.), moved from the Newhouse building, to the former location of the old Commercial Club, at 222 South West Temple. The building had been purchased by the Terminal company during 1914 to fulfill its plans of a new terminal building. The building was on the west side of the street, and was just north of Pierpont Avenue, where the Terminal company planned to build its new interurban terminal. (Salt Lake Tribune, November 10, 1915)
May 26, 1916
W. C. Orem's father, A. J. Orem & Company, completes SL&U construction. (Stephen Drew, email dated January 21, 2008)
SL&U gold spike driven at Payson. 24 daily electric trains inaugurated over the 66.6-mile standard-gauge Salt Lake City-Payson mainline. (Stephen Drew, email dated January 21, 2008)
July 16, 1916
Increased to 26 trains a day. Running time 2 hours 15 minutes. (Stephen Drew, email dated January 21, 2008)
September 25, 1916
A temporary interurban terminal station was completed on the site recently purchased at the southwest corner of West Temple and South Temple streets. The tracks were in their permanent locations, but the construction of a permanent building was to be delayed due to economic conditions. (Salt Lake Herald, September 20, 1916)
October 10, 1917
9.7-miles Magna Branch put into service. (Stephen Drew, email dated January 21, 2008)
(no date, circa 1919)
SL&U received Utah PSC approval to allow construction of tracks east along 9th South, crossing 1st West, Jefferson Street, and West Temple, including the tracks of Utah Light & Traction Company along West Temple. SL&U's main track runs north and south along 1st West. Salt Lake City has granted a franchise permitting tracks along 9th South. Grade Crossing Permit No.32. (Utah Public Service Commission, Case 119)
The Salt Lake & Utah Railroad received loans amounting to $300,000 from the federal government, under provisions of the Transportation Act of 1920, Section 210. (Interstate Commerce Commission Finance Docket 1016, Decided May 24, 1920, 65 ICC 8; Decided July 10, 1920, 65 ICC 55; Decided February 3, 1921, 67 ICC 52)
At the time of the loan application, the Salt Lake & Utah Railroad was 75.75 miles long, with 75.14 miles owned and 0.61 mile leased. The total mileage operated was 92.94 miles. Ninety percent of the railroad's common stock, and all of the preferred stock was owned by the Interurban Construction Company.
June 23, 1921
SL&U was approved to receive a $700,000 15-year, first mortgage loan from U. S. government, under the provisions of the Transportation Act of 1920, Section 210. (Interstate Commerce Commission Finance Docket 1475, Decided June 23, 1921, 67 ICC 791; Finance Docket 1561, Decided November 22, 1922, 76 ICC 163)
October 19, 1922
Contracts were let for the construction of the permanent interurban terminal station for the Salt Lake Terminal Company. The contracts, with a reported value of $210,308, were signed in the offices of Young & Hanson, architects for the new building. Work was to commence "next week or in ten days," and the building was to be ready for occupancy within 150 working days (30 weeks). The new building was to have a frontage along South Temple of 194 feet, and a frontage along West Temple of 92 feet. The main entrance was to be on the South Temple side. The building was to have two stories and a full basement. (Salt Lake Telegram, October 20, 1922, "yesterday")
June 7, 1923
LA&SL received Utah Public Utilities Commission approval to construct the 1.87-mile Columbia Steel Spur across the D&RGW, Utah Railway, and Salt Lake & Utah to serve the plant of Columbia Steel Company that is under construction. (Public Service Commission of Utah, case 652)
September 30, 1923
The new interurban terminal station was to open on October 4th. The traffic office of the Salt Lake & Utah railroad was to move into the building "tomorrow." (Salt Lake Telegram, September 30, 1923)
October 4, 1923
The new interurban terminal station opened to the public. It was an informal opening, without any ceremony except brief remarks by former Governor Bamberger. (Ogden Standard Examiner, October 5, 1923, "yesterday"; Salt Lake Telegram, October 5, 1923, "yesterday")
January 9, 1925
At the time of a protest of routing grain traffic over Salt Lake & Utah canceled by D&RGW in favor of its own parallel route, the Salt Lake & Utah stated that it served 80 industries along its line, using six freight locomotives, 70 steel gondolas, 14 steel hopper cars, 10 Rogers ballast cars, 29 box cars, five flat cars, one tank car, two work cars, and two cabooses. The Salt Lake & Utah won its protest, and the ICC ordered D&RGW to resume shipping over SL&U if the customer requested the routing. (Interstate Commerce Commission Finance Docket 2225, Decided January 9, 1925; 95 ICC 237)
(See also: a similar protest by Salt Lake & Utah against UP, WP, SP, and D&RGW that was filed on July 17, 1926, about being shut out of interstate routing that could use its route between Payson and Salt Lake City. SL&U lost its protest, with the commission saying that the Salt Lake & Utah's financial problems could not be solved at the expense of efficiency and economy of operation in the routing of railroad business. -- ICC Finance Docket 2458, Decided August 20, 1926; 115 ICC 357)
July 25, 1925
SL&U receivers appointed July 25, 1925. (Utah Public Service Commission, Case 928; Interstate Commerce Commission Finance Docket 9177, Decided April 28, 1932, 184 ICC 217)
March 23, 1927
LA&SL received ICC approval to operate 1.87-mile Columbia Steel Spur to the Ironton steel plant of Columbia Steel. The spur was built in 1923 and crossed the mainline tracks of the D&RGW, the Utah Railway, and the Salt Lake & Utah Railroad. The spur's purpose was to deliver materials needed for the construction of the steel plant. The approval was protested by the Salt Lake & Utah Railroad interurban line because they felt that they should be receiving a large portion of the traffic from the steel plant. The LA&SL spur crossed both the D&RGW and the SL&U, with the portion from the D&RGW crossing to the steel plant being operated as joint trackage because the steel plant received its coal from the Carbon County coal mines served by the D&RGW and the Utah Railway. The steel plant received its other raw materials from sources on the LA&SL, including iron ore from Iron County on the LA&SL Cedar City Branch, limestone from the Topliff quarries in Juab and Tooele counties on LA&SL's Fairfield Branch, and manganese from Pioche, Nevada on LA&SL's Pioche Branch. (ICC Finance Docket 5543, Decided March 23, 1927; 124 ICC 207)
In July 1927 the decision of March 23, 1927 was protested by the Salt Lake & Utah, but the protest was denied by the commission. (ICC Finance Docket 5543, decided November 12, 1927; 131 ICC 463)
In April 1928 the decision of March 23, 1927 was protested again by the Salt Lake & Utah, but the protest was again denied. (ICC Finance Docket 5543, decided May 8, 1928; 138 ICC 635)
A direct connection was completed at Provo between Utah Railway and Salt Lake & Utah Railroad. Prior to this there was no connection allowing direct interchange of cars, meaning that D&RGW acted as the intermediate switching carrier. (Ax-I-Dent-Ax, August 1929, page 17)
SL&U received Utah PSC approval to increase freight rates, along with all the other railroads in the state. Columbia Steel Corporation's Ironton plant began operations on May 1, 1924. Between 1924 and 1934, the plant produced: 1,189,598 tons of pig iron; 825,574 tons of coke; 44,702 tons of sulfate of ammonia; and 35,939 tons of benzyl. The pig iron produced at the plant is shipped to plants in Pittsburg and Torrance, California. (Utah Public Service Commission, Case 1658)
April 28, 1932
Salt Lake & Utah received a $200,000 federal loan from the Reconstruction Finance Corporation. (Interstate Commerce Commission Finance Docket 9177, Decided April 28, 1932, 184 ICC 217)
December 20, 1934
SL&U received Utah PSC approval to close the agency at Salem. (Utah Public Service Commission, Case 1660)
January 26, 1938
A group of Ogden investors headed by Marriner S. Browning "today purchased in federal court at Provo the properties of the Salt Lake & Utah Railroad company." The reported purchase price was $638,100. (Ogden Standard Examiner, January 26, 1938)
March 29, 1938
The new Salt Lake & Utah Railroad received federal Interstate Commerce Commission approval to operate the railroad formerly owned and operated by the old Salt Lake & Utah railroad company. The vice president of the new company was also the general manager of the Utah Idaho Central Railroad, which operated an electric railroad between Ogden, Utah, and Preston, Idaho. That same vice president stated at between 15 and 18 percent of the common stock of the Utah Idaho Central company would acquire by purchase 85 to 90 percent of the new Salt Lake & Utah company. In other words, Marriner A. Browning and George S. Eccles, both of Ogden, would buy and control the new Salt Lake & Utah company. (Interstate Commerce Commission Finance Docket 11501, Decided March 29, 1938; 224 ICC 697)
May 2, 1938
The title of ownership of the Salt Lake & Utah Railroad Company was formally transferred to the new Salt Lake & Utah Railroad Corporation on Monday, May 2, 1938, at the local branch of the Federal Reserve Bank. The transaction included the transfer of $640,000 in cash, clearing all liens and fees of the receivership, which had begun in 1925. The sale was ordered by the court on January 26, 1938. (Salt Lake Tribune, May 3, 1938)
The first official day of operation by the new company was on May 1, 1938. (Interstate Commerce Commission Finance Docket 11500, Decided June 17, 1940; 240 ICC 341)
September 6, 1939
Salt Lake & Utah Railroad Corporation received Utah PSC approval to do business as a railroad common carrier of passengers, freight and express. The previous company was no longer in receivership and had been sold to this new company. (Utah Public Service Commission, Case 2298, issued September 6, 1939)
September 6, 1940
Union Pacific, LA&SL, and D&RGW received federal ICC approval for UP to access the Spanish Fork sugar factory of the Utah-Idaho-Sugar company. The ICC approved an agreement dated October 11, 1939 and signed by the railroads and the sugar company, and would allow Union Pacific trackage rights over the following: (1) after leaving its own Provo Subdivision mainline, approximately 1.038 miles over the sugar company's private Lake Shore Spur to its connection and crossing of the D&RGW Tintic Branch; (2) approximately 0.345 mile over the D&RGW Tintic Branch; (3) approximately 1.593 miles of D&RGW sidings and spurs from its Tintic Branch to the sugar factory, including an additional 0.505 mile over the Salt Lake & Utah spur that served the sugar factory. D&RGW and Salt Lake & Utah had jointly served the sugar factory under an agreement signed on October 1, 1918. Construction was to begin by November 1, 1940, and be completed by March 1, 1941. But research suggests the connection between UP and D&RGW, by way of the private Utah-Idaho Lake Shore Spur was never completed. (242 ICC 55; ICC Finance Docket 12812, decided September 6, 1940)
July 2, 1945
Salt Lake & Utah received Utah PSC approval to close the depot on Center Street in Provo. The depot was to be replaced by a new one to be built on its freight line along 5th South. Also to abandon its tracks to the Center Street depot. Provo City had requested that Salt Lake & Utah abandon and removed its tracks, poles, and overhead wires, and to give up its rights and franchise along Center Street. On January 4, 1945, the railroad and the city made an agreement to do so. On June 21, 1945, the Utah state road commission agreed to restore the street surface along University Avenue and Center Street after the railroad had removed it tracks and overhead wires. (Utah Public Service Commission, Case 2861, Issued July 2, 1945)
December 11, 1945
The Salt Lake & Utah Railroad applied to the federal Interstate Commerce Commission on Tuesday December 11, 1945 for authority to abandon its railroad. "Granting of the application would bring an end to the electric railway which operated a. 66.95-mile line between Salt Lake City and Payson and a 9.15-mile line between Granger and Magna." (Salt Lake Tribune, December 13, 1945)
December 12, 1945
The United States District Court for the District of Utah appointed S. J. Quinney receiver of the Salt Lake & Utah Railroad Corporation and its properties. (ICC Finance Docket 15153, April 29, 1946)
As part of the receivership proceedings, the court ordered an investigation of the condition of the railroad. The report was filed with the Utah Public Service Commission on February 2, 1946.
(Read the complete investigation report, including transcribed text) (PDF; 4 pages, plus 3 pages; 3.0MB)
January 14, 1946
A joint hearing with the federal Interstate Commerce Commission, and the Utah Public Service Commission were held in Salt Lake City on January 14, 1946.
February 6, 1946
A second joint hearing was held on February 6, 1946, with commissioners of both commissions asking questions of the witnesses. (Salt Lake Tribune, February 6, 1946)
February 6, 1946
"There has been a growing deficit in operations of the Salt Lake & Utah Railway since 1939, from $14,000 at that time to $220,000 when the road went into receivership Dec. 12, 1945, it was disclosed today at the joint abandonment hearing of the Utah Public Service Commission and the Interstate Commerce Commission at the Hotel Utah." The railroad was "being operated on a day-to-day cash basis, and all charges other than payroll are being paid daily." (Deseret News, February 6, 1946)
March 1, 1946
All Salt Lake & Utah operations ceased at 12:01 am on Friday March 1, 1946. Under an order from the court, service to shippers along the line would be provided by Bamberger, Union Pacific, and D&RGW, pending a decision by the federal ICC. (Salt Lake Tribune, March 1, 1946)
April 29, 1946
The federal Interstate Commerce Commission approved the abandonment of the Salt Lake & Utah Railroad Corporation. (Interstate Commerce Commission Finance Docket 15153, Decided April 29, 1946; 261 ICC 813, "Cases Disposed Of Without Printed Report") (Courtesy copy of ICC report held by Utah Public Service Commission)
"F. D. No. 15153, Salt Lake & Utah Railroad Corporation Receiver Abandonment. Decided April 29, 1946. Certificate issued permitting abandonment by the Salt Lake & Utah Railroad Corporation, and S. J. Quinney, receiver, of its entire line of railroad extending from Salt Lake City to Payson, approximately 66.01 miles, with a branch line from Granger to Magna, 9.15 miles, all in the State of Utah. Condition prescribed."
(Read the complete ICC report, including transcribed text) (PDF; 11 pages, plus 10 pages; 9.5MB)
June 6, 1946
SL&U received Utah Public Service Commission approval to abandon all service and discontinue operation of its entire line of railroad. Protested by Pleasant Grove Lumber & Supply Company because it is the only railroad served coal yard in the vicinity. The company sold $11,250 in coal in 1944. Protested by H. W. Jacobs Feed & Grain Company of Pleasant Grove. They have shipped 40 carloads of feed in the past year. (Utah Public Service Commission, Case 2925, decided June 6, 1946)
(Read the complete Utah PSC report, including transcribed text) (PDF; 4 pages, plus 3 pages; 3.1MB)
July 26-27, 1946
Trackage, equipment, property and other assets sold at auction by Hyman-Michaels Company, salvage contractor for Salt Lake & Utah. (Stephen Drew, email dated January 21, 2008)
July 26, 1946
The following comes from the July 27, 1946 issue of the Salt Lake Tribune newspaper:
Provo. All bidding for trackage of the defunct Salt Lake and Utah Railroad Co., which went on sale Friday (July 26th) in the Provo city and county building, was done by the Denver & Rio Grande Western Railroad Co. and the Bamberger line.
Sale included industrial trackage in Spanish Fork, Springville, Provo, Orem and Salt Lake City, according to S. J. Quinney, receiver for the Orem line.
Although the Bamberger Co. bid $202,000 for the bulk of the property on sale from 6th South to 13th South, Salt Lake City, and from Pleasant Grove to Brundy, south of Provo, representatives of the company withdrew the bid when the property was divided into segments. The D&RGW also bid $841,000 on the same basis.
After withdrawing its original bid, the Bamberger Co. made the highest offer of the sale for a single segment, $100,000 for the trackage extending from 6th South in Salt Lake City along 1st West to the north line of Fayette ave., extended, with trackage running from 9th South to the junction of the Orem tracks with the Union Pacific line. The D&RGW made a $95,000 bid for the same property.
Except for a $1 bid for use of the Salt Lake terminal of the defunct railroad, all other winning bids were entered by the D&RGW.
The company presented the only bid for trackage running from the north line of Fayette ave. to the north line of 13th South for $5000. The D&RGW also made the winning bid of $12,425 for the segment running from the north line of 13th South in a southwesterly direction to the east line of 8th West in Salt Lake City.
Another bid of $70,000 was entered by D&RGW for trackage extending from 8th North in Orem southward through Provo to where the Orem connected with the D&RGW line. This bid also included such sections of the pole line between these points as was necessary for maintenance.
The West Jordan, consisting of 1843 feet of main line trackage and 1733 feet of spurs and connecting trackage went to D&RGW for a bid of $1937.55 with trackage in Springville going for $2185 and trackage in Spanish Fork for $10,706.
All bids were accepted subject to notice of the conditions of the sale, Mr. Quinney said.
The Orem line's real estate property in all Utah county towns will go on sale Saturday (July 27th) at 9 a. m. in the city and county building. Open bids will be received for the property which includes several pieces of land, right-of-ways along the Utah county trackage not sold to railroads in Friday's sale and depots in every Utah county town but Provo. Numerous houses and other buildings including the Payson shops, will go on sale Saturday.
Bamberger Railroad Co. intends to operate their trackage from, 6th South to Fayette ave., serving industrial wholesalers and others in that area, according to Sam D. Thurman, company attorney. Sale of the defunct Salt Lake and Orem railroad for salvage purposes will be conducted Saturday.
July 26, 1946
Salt Lake & Utah's interest in Salt Lake Terminal Company was sold to Bamberger Railroad for $1.00.
July 26, 1946
Bamberger was the successful bidder for SL&U tracks between the Salt Lake Terminal on the north, and Fayette Avenue on the south. D&RGW was the successful bidder of Salt Lake & Utah tracks in Salt Lake City, from Fayette Avenue (975 South), south to about 1800 South, along with SL&U trackage between Orem and Provo, and trackage at the Springville and Spanish Fork sugar factories. (Salt Lake Tribune, July 27, 1946)
October 22, 1946
" F. D. No. 15449, Bamberger Railroad Company Acquisition And Operation. Decided October 22, 1946. Certificate issued authorizing acquisition and operation of parts of the line of railroad of the Salt Lake & Utah Railroad Corporation, located on First West and Ninth South Streets, approximately 0.5 mile of main line and 0.25 mile of branch line, and spur tracks, all north and east of the intersection of First West Street and Fayette Avenue, extended, in Salt Lake City, Utah. R. E. Quirk for applicant." (ICC Financial Docket 15449, in 267 ICC 806, "Cases Disposed Of Without Printed Report")
October 24, 1946
"F. D. No. 15455, Denver & Rio Grande Western Railroad Company Trustees Acquisition And Operation. Decided October 24, 1946. Certificate issued authorizing acquisition and operation by the trustees of the Denver & Rio Grande Western Railroad Company of part of the line of railroad of the Salt Lake & Utah Railroad Corporation between Provo and Orem, approximately 8.4 miles, together with switching and spur tracks appurtenant thereto, aggregating 1.61 miles, in the State of Utah. T. R. Woodrow for applicants." (ICC Financial Docket 15455, in 267 ICC 807, "Cases Disposed Of Without Printed Report")
November 14, 1946
The tracks of Salt Lake & Utah were removed from along Main Street in Springville, "this week." (Springville Herald, November 14, 1946)
December 4, 1946
Salt Lake & Utah trackage in Salt Lake City along First West (200 West after 1972) was sold to Bamberger Railroad on December 4, 1946. (D&RGW engineering drawing for former Bamberger line, South Temple to 13th South, Utah State Archives, Index H-232)
December 27, 1946
Salt Lake & Utah Railroad was dissolved as a Utah corporation. (Deseret News, November 18, 1946, daily legal notices through the date of the hearing in Third District Court on December 27, 1946)
December 31, 1958
The Bamberger (former Salt Lake & Utah) trackage in Salt Lake City along First West (200 West after 1972) was sold to D&RGW on December 31, 1958. (D&RGW engineering drawing for former Bamberger line, South Temple to 13th South, Utah State Archives, Index H-232)
February 5, 1977
Former Bamberger spur -- "After 72 years, the last locomotive moved along spur railroad tracks on First West Friday. The diesel pushed an empty box car before it. The boxcar had contained molding starch which had been delivered to the Sweet Candy Co. manufacturing plant at 2nd South." "The first rail was installed on the street [First West] in 1905. The Sweet Co., just a few yards from the spur, asked to be linked up in 1920." "Sweet Candy had been in Salt Lake City since 1900. Its present factory, embracing 130,000 square feet, consists of three contiguous buildings - built in 1911, 1921 and 1953 respectively." (Salt Lake Tribune, February 5, 1977)
The spur was linked to the former Bamberger tracks along First West (200 West). The line had originally been constructed by the Salt Lake & Utah interurban line in 1910. Bamberger had purchased the portion along First West, north of 1300 South, when the Salt Lake & Utah had shut down in 1946. D&RGW had purchased the tracks when Bamberger shut down in 1959, and continued to serve the businesses along First West (200 West after 1972) since that time. The Sweet Candy street address was 224 South First West (200 West).
July 22, 1990
D&RGW filed notice of the proposed abandonment of the remaining portion of the Salt Lake & Utah railroad known as the New London Track. "From a point near the intersection of 500 West Street and 1700 South Street and situated easterly of the DRGW Main Track extending northeasterly approximately 3670 feet to the end of said track near the intersection of 200 West Street and California Avenue." (Deseret News, July 22, 1990)
SL&U in Magna, 1937 -- In June 2017 an email was received with an attached photo showing the Salt Lake & Utah depot in Magna. This was the first photo of any location on the Magna Branch to have yet been found. At photo center, the SL&U depot is visible, with an SL&U freight motor, and a couple freight cars, all sitting on the north leg of the wye. The street running east and west is today's 2800 South, and the street just east of the depot is today's 9000 West. (In the photo, north is along the top.)
Salt Lake & Utah Equipment -- Information about SL&U's passenger and freight equipment.
Salt Lake & Utah Map -- A Google map of the Salt Lake & Utah Railroad, put together with the help of Steve Seguine, based on traces of the abandoned (in 1947) route through Salt Lake and Utah counties.
Salt Lake & Utah in Downtown Provo -- A map of Salt Lake & Utah trackage east of Academy (later University) Avenue in Provo, Utah. (Western Crossroads Railway Museum)
Salt Lake & Utah in Downtown Provo -- A map of Salt Lake & Utah passenger line trackage west of Academy (later University) Avenue in Provo, Utah. (Western Crossroads Railway Museum)
Interurbans of Utah -- PDF version of the 1974 edition. The original 96-page edition was published in 1954, and this reprint from 1974 added 46 pages of additional photos. (PDF; 147 pages; 97.8MB)